Data Official Smogon University Usage Statistics Discussion Thread, mk.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stats for March are now up at https://www.smogon.com/stats/2018-03/ Thanks for your patience, everyone!

When listing item usage, would it be possible to combine the stats for the 50% Berries (Figy Berry, Wiki Berry, Mago Berry, Aguav Berry, Iapapa Berry) into a single figure? They are functionally identical to each other but, particularly in VGC thanks to the item clause, the usage on each of them is often quite split. Having to pull out a calculator to determine their actual usage compared to other items is a pain, and even that may not always be an accurate method if a certain variety of 50% Berry doesn't show up on the list.
I would love to do this, and in fact combine all abilities / items that are functionally identical (I think I already combine neutral natures FWIW), but building up that mapping (and then maintaining it!) is a nontrivial amount of work, so I'm unlikely to be able to do it.

Right now, Gyarados's ability usage statistics in OU look like this.I can already tell from Gyrados's Bulbapedia article that it always has mold breaker after it evolves, so this information is probably not very useful. On the other hand, I would like to know what percentage of Gyaradoses had intimidate before they mega evolved. Can moveset stats files show these statistics from now on?
This is actually a PS quirk that I dug deep into at one point--the issue here is that people are creating the Pokemon as Gyarados-Mega not Gyarados-with-Mega-Stone, so IIRC PS just chooses a random ability for these mons. If it's showing up as 100% "Mold Breaker" I must be doing some fudging somewhere though. Let me look into it. PM me if you don't get an answer in, say, a week.

Is there a way to combine a pokemon and their totom forms' usage? There's negligible differences between them but for some the usage is split pretty evenly, understating their actual usage. I don't know if this has any impact on Smogon tiering. However, in VGC the usage for Araquanid is 3.7% and for totem-araquanid is 2.8% (for less heavy slam damage).

power

uh-oh, the game in trouble
so IIRC PS just chooses a random ability for these mons.
PS does not choose a random ability - it defaults to the first one. For example, if you add mega alakazam to your team and do not manually adjust the ability slot, your Alakazam will have Synchronize at the beginning of the battle.

Right now, Gyarados's ability usage statistics in OU look like this.
+----------------------------------------+
| Abilities |
| Mold Breaker 100.000% |
+----------------------------------------+
I can already tell from Gyrados's Bulbapedia article that it always has mold breaker after it evolves, so this information is probably not very useful. On the other hand, I would like to know what percentage of Gyaradoses had intimidate before they mega evolved. Can moveset stats files show these statistics from now on?
This is actually a PS quirk that I dug deep into at one point--the issue here is that people are creating the Pokemon as Gyarados-Mega not Gyarados-with-Mega-Stone, so IIRC PS just chooses a random ability for these mons. If it's showing up as 100% "Mold Breaker" I must be doing some fudging somewhere though. Let me look into it. PM me if you don't get an answer in, say, a week.
This is apparently still a problem. What happened?

i dont know about other metas, but if you look through https://www.smogon.com/stats/2018-04/moveset/gen7ou-1825.txt checks and counters are sometimes very bare or there simply aren't any (ie for zygarde). is this normal?
It's because 1825 ladder lacks data so it's not possible to accurately find counters for a pokemon with it. But you can look at lower ladder stats which gives pretty accurate checks and counters like here: https://www.smogon.com/stats/2018-05/moveset/gen7ou-1500.txt.

EviGaro

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
RU Leader
Uh yeah, also PU and RU had suspect tests in May, not June, so there's something off here.

Going back a bit, the stats for 05 - so essentially May - link us to the April stats again. It seems we're back by a month.

edit: forget about the last part then, but the suspects not belonging seems odd

Last edited:

Xayah

San Bwanna
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
There are also no Suicide Cup stats from their OMotM ladder in June, while ZU did get its stats from OMotM in May. Regardless of whether all stats are wrong, that's definitely really weird.

Can we get official word on whether we'll get corrected stats for June? According to the current numbers, nothing moved more than ± ~0.1%... in any format. While technically possible, I don't think any metagames are that stagnant.
I wouldn't be so sure tbh, its depressing how stagnant many metagames have been lately. something needs to change imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)