Project Old Gen Hackmons Megathread

Are Pokestars legal in either Pure or Balanced Hackmons? If so why is Pokestar Spirit never mentioned as a Wonder Guard abuser in resources when it has much better stats than Sableye and Spiritomb?

Are Pokestars legal in either Pure or Balanced Hackmons? If so why is Pokestar Spirit never mentioned as a Wonder Guard abuser in resources when it has much better stats than Sableye and Spiritomb?
In gen 5 pokestars are legal. I also agree that it should be mentioned. Sableye isn't really viable, Spirit is overall the best. Spiritomb is still notable though if you want to pivot into it and get a slow baton pass.

Edit: M-Sab is viable, but not in gen 5

Last edited:
Viability Ranking update because I realized Flame Orb and Toxic Orb aren't actually in the game, making Guts crap. Also some stuff I placed wrong.

Swellow B- > UR. Since Guts has no Flame Orb to work off of, Swellow is just a worse Dodrio.
Dodrio UR > C+, below Jirachi. Dodrio is definitely worse than what Flame Orb Swellow could have been, but ultimately it will fill in the niches of a Spikes immunity + STAB Aeroblast. It is placed in C+ because of Ursaring's far superior strength, making it a better choice.
Ludicolo A- > B+, below Banette. I overestimated Ludicolo's power upon first creating the VR. It is a strong sweeper and a Pokemon that is easily able to win the rain mirror played correctly, but that's about it. Its power is balls before a Tail Glow boost, meaning that it is unable to revenge kill unless the target has a weakness to one of its moves. It is certainly worse than the likes of Deoxys-Attack, Kabutops, and Mewtwo, and should drop as such.
Victreebel B > B+, the top. I definitely didn't give Victreebel enough credit. Even unboosted Victreebel is a powerful threat. It has a great matchup vs both weathers, easily sweeping rain once the sun is up and Rayquaza and Latis have been weakened, and being able to set up on sun due to its 4x resistance to Grass and neutrality to Poison, neutralizing sun's anti-Grass measures. It is also able to revenge kill many targets below 40% if it is able to hit it neutrally. It is even stronger than known weather abusers such as Kingdra, and should be ranked as such.
Ho-Oh B+ > B, the top. Meh, this thing doesn't really shine. Mono is by far Ho-Oh's best set, and it can tear apart slower teams, but considering how common Rock Blast is because of Ninjask and Lugia, and how disruption users like Slaking can just end the sweep no matter how set up you are, Ho-Oh struggles to actually keep momentum going long enough to sweep. Choice Band Ho-Oh is god-awful, please just use Choice Band Rayquaza instead.
Scizor D > UR. When I ranked this I believed it had the niche of having a neutrality to both Rock and Ground while being able to threaten the Latis with STAB Megahorn. I forgot that Heracross literally does this exact thing while resisting Ground instead of being neutral to it.
Regice C- > D, below Machamp. Regice just doesn't cut it. It can't wall Rock Blast users, which is not a good thing, and it only really fits on rain stall. It is still good enough to get ranked, however.
Solrock UR > C-, below Heracross. Solrock is immune to Ground and resists Flying and Normal while without being weak to Rock or Ice. That is impressive, and enough to get ranked. It is about as physically bulky as Latias, which is good, but unfortunately its Special Defense falls a bit. Nevertheless, it's not supposed to be out against special attackers. A defensive core of Solrock + Latias + Skarmory/Ariados completely decimates anything that can't set up on it. Truly no other Pokemon can do what Solrock does, and Solrock does its job well. I believe it is superior to the D ranks, and as such earns C- rank.
Shedinja C- > D, below Regice. Shedinja's not so good. It does something against Latis, but those can carry Sacred Fire, and more commonly than one may think. It can tank priority, but Deoxys-Attack carries Pursuit, Dodrio has Aeroblast, and even most Slaking have Shadow Ball. It can stop stall, but it is prone to Knock Off, and usually just gets Substituted on, which would stop Trick. The only thing it does reliably is counter Kyogre. It simply does not match up with the rest of C- Rank.

EDIT: Discussion Points!
  • Umbreon UR > D, below Regice. Umbreon is a variant of Tyranitar that is neutral to Ground and only has a 2x weakness to Fighting. This, along with Umbreon's higher Special Defense may make up for the lack of offensive presence. Synchronize is a nice tool, but does not really boost Umbreon's viability.
  • Primeape UR > D, below Machamp. This just does what Machamp does, but trades power for speed and a sleep immunity.
  • Shedinja D > UR. Yes, this thing can fall even further than it already is. Shedinja was only used in panic when people first discovered Slaking, but as the meta developed much stronger checks were found, such as Skarmory. There is no real purpose for Shedinja anymore.

Have a good day!

Last edited:
Scizor D > UR. When I ranked this I believed it had the niche of having a neutrality to both Rock and Ground while being able to threaten the Latis with STAB Megahorn. I forgot that Heracross literally does this exact thing while resisting Ground instead of being neutral to it.
Unlike Heracross, Scizor is not weak to psychic. Notable for the latis.
  • Shedinja D > UR. Yes, this thing can fall even further than it already is. Shedinja was only used in panic when people first discovered Slaking, but as the meta developed much stronger checks were found, such as Skarmory. There is no real purpose for Shedinja anymore.
It walls kyorge, latis, and other special attakers who dont run coverage for it

Unlike Heracross, Scizor is not weak to psychic. Notable for the latis.
The Latis also tend to run Sacred Fire. Heracross can actually survive a Sacred Fire, heal off a potential burn with Lum Berry, and OHKO with Megahorn.
252+ SpA Soul Dew Latias Sacred Fire vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Heracross: 261-308 (71.7 - 84.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Heracross Megahorn vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latias: 459-540 (151.9 - 178.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
It walls kyorge, latis, and other special attakers who dont run coverage for it
Good point, but again Latis tend to run Sacred Fire. Though Shedinja walls other stuff like Mewtwo that's worth mentioning. This is only a suggestion, and I said this because I was split on whether or not Shedinja had a big enough niche to accept its risks.

Solaros & Lunaris

Hold that faith that is made of steel
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Generation 3 Unofficial Viability Rankings
Hello everyone, I wanted to create a viability rankings for Generation 3 Pure Hackmons because it is one of my favorite metas. The Pokemon in the ranks are ordered from top to bottom, the most effective Pokemon in the tier at the top. The Pokemon will have its niches in parentheses to the side. Here are what the niches mean:
Wallbreaker: A Pokemon that has immense raw power, and uses it to break down bulky walls in just one or two hits. Stallbreakers are counted here.
Sweeper: A Pokemon that can use a boosting move, a Choice Band, or the like to sweep mid-late game.
Cleaner: A Pokemon that uses high Speed in conjunction with strong offensive stats to clean up weakened Pokemon at the end of a match.
Setup: A Pokemon that uses boosting moves to perform its job better.
Revenge Killer: A Pokemon that uses a high Speed stat or priority in conjunction with good offensive stats to KO weakened Pokemon after a sacrifice.
Choice Band: A Pokemon that commonly uses a Choice Band to become powerful wallbreakers.
Lead: A Pokemon that can be effectively run in the lead slot. This includes anti-leads as well.
Weather: A Pokemon that sets or benefits from the weather. Typically Pokemon with the ability Chlorophyll or Swift Swim.
Anti-Weather: Pokemon that are very useful at stopping teams based around Sun and Rain. Anti-Weather Pokemon do not have to be good against both weathers to be Anti-Weather, and a Pokemon can be classed as both Weather and Anti-Weather.
Disruption: A Pokemon that uses strategies such as Tricking a Choice Band or using Encore + Taunt to disrupt the opponent.
Sleep Immune: A Pokemon that is immune to sleep.
Trapper: A Pokemon that uses its ability to trap opposing Pokemon and pick them off.
Wall: A Pokemon made to wall various threats of the metagame with high bulk and a good typing. Walls do not need a good typing, however. Some walls shine despite their poor typing.
Baton Pass: A Pokemon that passes Substitutes and stat boosts to teammates using Baton Pass.
Spikes: A Pokemon commonly used to set Spikes due to their good bulk, speed, or their ability to force switches.
Hazard Control: A Pokemon that commonly uses Rapid Spin to remove Spikes from their side of the field. They are chosen for their bulk, ability to force switches, and ability to threaten spinblockers.
Spinblocker: A Pokemon that uses its Ghost typing to block the move Rapid Spin, keeping Spikes up.
With that out of the way, let's get to the VR!

S Rank
The top dogs of the metagame. These Pokemon possess an amazing combination of incredible offenses, wonderful utility, and key defensive aspects that make the Pokemon in this group easy to fit onto teams. Most good teams will contain one or more of them.

Rayquaza (Wallbreaker, Sweeper, Revenge Killer, Choice Band, Anti-Weather, Disruption)
Lugia (Anti-Weather, Disruption, Wall, Baton Pass, Spikes, Hazard Control)

A Rank
Excellent Pokemon with great offensive and/or defensive capabilities, They tend to be among the first considerations for certain roles and can accomplish them very well, though they may require some team support to function.

A+
Kyogre (Wallbreaker, Lead, Weather, Wall, Baton Pass)
Groudon (Wallbreaker, Sweeper, Setup, Lead, Weather)
Latios (Wallbreaker, Sweeper, Cleaner, Setup, Anti-Weather, Wall, Spikes)
Latias (Wallbreaker, Sweeper, Cleaner, Setup, Anti-Weather, Wall, Spikes)

A
Slaking (Sweeper, Setup, Disruption)
Dugtrio (Cleaner, Revenge Killer, Choice Band, Disruption, Trapper, Spikes)
Ninjask (Lead, Disruption, Baton Pass, Spikes)

A-
Deoxys-Attack (Wallbreaker, Sweeper, Cleaner, Revenge Killer, Choice Band)
Kabutops (Sweeper, Cleaner, Setup, Choice Band, Weather)
Mewtwo (Wallbreaker, Sweeper, Cleaner, Setup, Revenge Killer, Lead)

B Rank
These Pokemon have decent offensive and/or defensive capabilities and can fulfill specific roles pretty well, but generally require larger degrees of support than other Pokemon.

B+
Victreebel (Sweeper, Cleaner, Setup, Revenge Killer, Weather)
Kingdra (Sweeper, Cleaner, Setup, Revenge Killer, Weather)
Banette (Wallbreaker, Sweeper, Setup, Choice Band, Sleep Immune, Spikes, Hazard Control, Spinblocker)
Ludicolo (Sweeper, Setup, Weather)
Wobbuffet (Disruption, Trapper, Wall)

B
Ho-oh (Wallbreaker, Sweeper, Setup)
Porygon2 (Revenge Killer, Anti-Weather, Disruption, Trapper, Wall)
Raikou (Sweeper, Setup, Revenge Killer, Lead, Anti-Weather)

B-
Ursaring (Wallbreaker, Cleaner, Revenge Killer)
Omastar (Sweeper, Setup, Weather)
Suicune (Wall, Hazard Control)

C Rank
These Pokemon can fulfill specific niches, but are often very reliant on the team to help them function and minimize their flaws. They may also be mostly outclassed in some respects by other Pokemon.

C+
Tyranitar (Sweeper, Setup, Lead, Weather, Anti-Weather, Wall, Spikes)
Jirachi (Sweeper, Cleaner, Revenge Killer, Choice Band, Disruption)
Dodrio (Wallbreaker, Cleaner, Revenge Killer, Hazard Control)
Exeggutor (Wallbreaker, Sweeper, Setup, Weather)
Skarmory (Wall, Hazard Control)

C
Gyarados (Wallbreaker, Choice Band, Disruption, Wall, Hazard Control)
Zapdos (Wallbreaker, Sweeper, Setup, Anti-Weather)
Quagsire (Anti-Weather, Wall, Spikes)
Gardevoir (Sweeper, Cleaner, Anti-Weather, Trapper)
Jumpluff (Weather, Disruption, Baton Pass)

C-
Deoxys-Speed (Lead, Disruption, Baton Pass, Spikes)
Heracross (Wallbreaker, Choice Band, Lead)
Solrock (Anti-Weather, Wall, Spikes, Hazard Control)
Lanturn (Anti-Weather, Wall)

D Rank
These Pokemon are only capable of doing very specific things. You will very rarely put these Pokemon as teammates, but rather you will find yourself building around them instead. Use these Pokemon with caution.

Dusclops (Wall, Spinblocker)
Machamp (Wallbreaker, Cleaner, Setup, Revenge Killer)
Regice (Weather, Wall)
Shedinja (Wallbreaker, Choice Band, Disruption, Wall)
Hypno (Lead, Sleep Immune, Wall)
Charizard (Sweeper, Setup, Lead, Weather, Anti-Weather)
Magneton (Revenge Killer, Trapper)

That's the Generation 3 Unofficial Viability Rankings. If you have any questions, you can ask on the thread. I hope you enjoyed the read, and have a nice day!

Edit: whoops forgot to rank kabutops
Are you willing to make sets for the S to A- Pokemon on this list? I think it would helpful to people who are trying to get into the meta a bit.

Good point, but again Latis tend to run Sacred Fire. Though Shedinja walls other stuff like Mewtwo that's worth mentioning. This is only a suggestion, and I said this because I was split on whether or not Shedinja had a big enough niche to accept its risks.
(but do they)
kyogre will almost never run sacred fire and thats pretty big

(but do they)
kyogre will almost never run sacred fire and thats pretty big
Of course. Shedinja walls Kyogre greatly, and I said Shedinja walled other Pokemon such as Mewtwo in conjunction with Kyogre. No other Pokemon can really do this, hence me not automatically performing this nom as Shedinja does have a real niche. I was probably a little too harsh on it but in the end it should be D rank anyway.
Are you willing to make sets for the S to A- Pokemon on this list? I think it would helpful to people who are trying to get into the meta a bit.
Yeah sure, here you go.

Oh wow! Thank you so much! This is the best birthday present I could have asked for.
Like, not meaning to be the source of all depression, and not meaning to flood the thread with meaningless posts, and since I used to beg Ransei for auth, and since i literally just came back from a 3 month break, I forgot what i was gonna say. Oh yeah, happy birthday (it's mine as well when I'm posting this).

double post because inactive thread

here's a team dump for gens 3, 6, and 7

:kyogre::kabutops::rayquaza::kabutops::ludicolo::dugtrio:
Kyogre @ Lum Berry
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 248 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Water Spout
- Recover
- Baton Pass

Kabutops @ Lum Berry
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Belly Drum
- Protect

Rayquaza @ Choice Band
Ability: Air Lock
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Aeroblast
- Ice Beam
- Extreme Speed
- Trick

Kabutops @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Ball

Ludicolo @ Lum Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Ice Beam
- Spore
- Tail Glow

Dugtrio @ Lum Berry
Ability: Arena Trap
Jolly Nature
- Encore
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast

This team is the only sample. All resources on it at the end of Page 2.

:groudon::lanturn::victreebel::skarmory::shiftry::solrock:
Groudon @ Lum Berry
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Sacred Fire

Lanturn @ Lum Berry
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Surf
- Taunt
- Recover

Victreebel @ Lum Berry
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

Skarmory @ Lum Berry
Ability: Keen Eye
Impish Nature
- Counter
- Whirlwind
- Spikes
- Soft-Boiled

Shiftry @ Lum Berry
Ability: Chlorophyll
Modest Nature
- Tail Glow
- Leaf Blade
- Crunch
- Pursuit

Solrock @ Lum Berry
Ability: Levitate
Impish Nature
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Recover

This was the team that introduced me to Solrock. The most notable part about this team is the defensive core. Lanturn is a strong anti-rain Pokemon, and beats Non-EQ Rayquaza, Kyogre, Kingdra, Ho-oh, Raikou, Omastar, Suicune, Tyranitar, Dodrio, Skarmory, Gyarados, Zapdos, Solrock, and Charizard. However, it struggles against EdgeQuake sweepers, such as Groudon and Kabutops, it loses to Ludicolo and sun sweepers, and it's unable to handle Slaking efficiently. This is where Counter Skarmory comes in, able to deal with all of these Pokemon. However, Skarmory can't actually handle these Pokemon offensively, due to not having enough power or moveslots. Solrock fixes this, able to take on several Pokemon that Skarmory beats, such as Kabutops and Rayquaza, offensively and defensively. Solrock is chosen over Lunatone for its much higher Attack stat (95 vs 55) letting it run EdgeQuake.

As for the offensive core, Sacred Fire Groudon is a tech that I thought of to beat Skarmory and Chlorophyll sweepers. Victreebel is the standard physical set, offering a good way to win in the Sun mirror and having good coverage overall. I added Shiftry as well, because the defensive core was very physically oriented and couldn't handle Deoxys-A or Mewtwo effectively. It is also able to Pursuit trap weakened foes. The offensive core is weakened because there is no anti-weather mon like Rayquaza or Latios, but it's still strong.

:ninjask::banette::porygon2::deoxys-attack::ho-oh::tyranitar:
Ninjask @ Lum Berry
Ability: Speed Boost
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Baton Pass

Banette @ Choice Band
Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed
- Rock Blast

Porygon2 @ Leftovers
Ability: Trace
Sassy Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake
- Milk Drink
- Taunt

Deoxys-Attack @ Lum Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Psychic
- Explosion
- Extreme Speed
- Substitute

Ho-Oh @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Aeroblast
- Swords Dance
- Recover

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Aeroblast
- Swords Dance

Spikestack is something that I've always wanted to try, given that people never really run Rapid Spin. Ninjask is not that good of a Spikes setter, I'd recommend using Deo-S or something. Spikes Ninjask is super risky, especially when the opponent's lead is also a Ninjask. Banette is there to absorb Spore and Rapid Spin and take on the Latis. Pory2 is really out of place on this team but honestly it works, serving as a way to stop Slaking and Dragon Dance Groudon. Deoxys-A is there because it abuses Spikes to destroy everything with its amazing wallbreaking and cleaning abilities. I'm not sure why Ho-Oh was added but it's pretty good. SD Tyranitar was the final mon, and it's epic because it forces out Latis despite not doing anything to them.

:latias::deoxys-attack::jirachi::machamp::banette::latios:
Latias (M) @ Soul Dew
Modest Nature
- Tail Glow
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Deoxys-Attack @ Lum Berry
Hasty Nature
- Psychic
- Extreme Speed
- Explosion
- Pursuit

Jirachi @ Choice Band
Ability: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Megahorn
- Extreme Speed

Machamp @ Leftovers
Ability: Guts
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Cross Chop
- Shadow Ball
- Earthquake

Banette @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Spikes

Latios @ Soul Dew
Timid Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Crunch
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Fire

This team started when I built around Charizard, whose main goal is to outspeed Kyogre and Groudon and nuke them. It helped in about one game and then it was deleted later and I accidentally made psyspam. BoltBeam Latias is a great lead and it antileads a ton of stuff, including Ninjask, Groudon, and Kyogre. Deo-A was supposed to be an anti-Ninjask mon when Charizard was still here, but it's still strong and the cleaner of the team. I then wanted a Lati check and Jirachi is one of the best Lati checks in the game, tanking both STABs, Ice Beam, and Leaf Blade easily and being neutral to TBolt and Crunch. Machamp was because I needed something to dent Steels and Darks and also more priority can't hurt. Guts is also a great ability for Slaking to copy because it will almost never get statused. Banette was cause my only Lum mon so far was Deo-A LOL also Spikes are cool. Finally AoA Latios because Crunch won me a game once.

:deoxys-speed::skarmory::lugia::lugia::dusclops::tyranitar:
Deoxys-Speed @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Skill Swap
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

Skarmory @ Lum Berry
Impish Nature
- Counter
- Recover
- Baton Pass
- Whirlwind

Lugia @ Lum Berry
Bold Nature
- Knock Off
- Baton Pass
- Wish
- Substitute

Lugia @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Baton Pass
- Recover
- Spikes
- Whirlwind

Dusclops @ Lum Berry
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Whirlwind
- Magic Coat
- Baton Pass

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Bulk Up
- Baton Pass

This team is bad and was more or less a test to see what you can do with this kind of team. It's basically like Baton Pass stall which is pretty neat. Deoxys-Speed is our lead because it prevents Ninjask from pulling shit. Counter Skarm is our Slaking and EdgeQuake check, and our secondary phazer. Knock Off Lugia is there to remove Latias and Latios's items, weakening them significantly. The other Lugia sets Spikes and is mainly just there to tank boosted hits and Whirlwind threats, and can also be used as an emergency wincon. Dusclops is our main phazer, who was chosen because he is immune to Rapid Spin. He is able to use Magic Coat to reflect Taunt as well, and thrives off of the high HP Substitutes from Lugia as they go very well with his high defenses. Tyranitar is our anti-weather Pokemon who has Rock Blast for those Flying types and Shadow Ball for Solrock and the Latis, and also passes Def. This team autoloses to Skarm but whatever.

:kyogre::skarmory::regice::wobbuffet::lugia::ariados:
Kyogre @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Surf / Water Spout
- Substitute
- Calm Mind

Skarmory @ Lum Berry
Impish Nature
- Counter
- Whirlwind
- Recover
- Taunt

Regice @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
Brave Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Explosion
- Recover

Wobbuffet @ Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Tag
Calm Nature
- Perish Song
- Sleep Talk
- Spikes
- Recover

Lugia @ Lum Berry
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Recover
- Haze
- Rapid Spin

Ariados @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Spore
- Heal Bell
- Megahorn
- Recover

Definitely a much better stall than the last team. I wanted to try this because I saw Regice and I was like "Damn, this would be so good on rain stall." SubCM Kyogre is a really neat wincon able to OHKO or 2HKO anything that doesn't resist it after a boost or two. You can go Water Spout for that extra power, but I like Surf for consistency. Then came the star of the show, Regice. It handles opposing defensive mons greatly with BoltBeam. It also notably has Explosion and a Brave nature. This is to make sure that Explosion always brings Slaking's health below half. The point of this is that Regice will explode on a target, such as Slaking or the Latis, and bring Wobbuffet in, who proceeds to Perish Trap them. Skarmory is ridiculously broken on rain stall because you usually beat it with Sacred Fire. This is no longer an option, leaving the remaining mons that can check it Raikou, Zapdos, Charizard, and BoltBeam Lati. Wobbuffet is for the aforementioned strategy, and also because setting Spikes is nice. Lugia is there for some setup and hazard control. Finally I needed an Insomnia cleric + something that could sort of threaten Latis so boom Ariados. It does benefit from the weather, nullifying its weakness to Fire.

:palkia::mewtwo-mega-y::palkia::kyogre-primal::aerodactyl-mega::kyogre-primal:
Palkia @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Volt Switch
- Whirlwind
- Entrainment

Mewtwo-Mega-Y @ Focus Sash
Ability: No Guard
Timid Nature
- Sheer Cold
- Blue Flare
- Seed Flare
- Focus Blast

Palkia @ Draco Plate
Ability: Wonder Guard
Modest Nature
- Defog
- Rain Dance
- Judgment
- Magic Coat

Kyogre-Primal @ Lum Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Shell Smash
- Spore
- Baton Pass

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Dragon Ascent
- Meteor Mash
- U-turn

Kyogre-Primal @ Focus Sash
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Steam Eruption
- Bug Buzz
- Heart Swap

This is a super weird rain but it's actually a good team. Drizzle Palkia is the rain setter and punishes other rain benefitting mons, while benefitting from the rain itself with Steam Eruption. It also uses Entrainment to bypass Wonder Guard. No Guard MMY is because Rain has a relatively poor Wonder Guard matchup, as it's obligated to spam Water-type attacks. Therefore, I need as much preparation as possible. Wonder Guard Palkia is to wall various Pokemon attempting to break without Mold Breaker. It's also able to set Rain on forced switches, need it be. Prankster Kyogre is just there to pass Shell Smash to Mega Aerodactyl, who can clean teams easily. Mold Breaker Kyogre is for an extra Shell Smasher. Heart Swap stops opposing Pokemon from using Shell Smash and easily sweeping. Bug Buzz hits behind Substitute and I find it better to hit MMY super effectively.

:sceptile-mega::diancie-mega::groudon-primal::gengar-mega::swampert-mega::latios-mega:
Sceptile-Mega @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Sheer Cold
- Blue Flare
- Grass Whistle
- Gastro Acid

Diancie-Mega @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Huge Power
Jolly Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Play Rough
- Leaf Blade
- U-turn

Groudon-Primal @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Bounce
Jolly Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Sacred Fire
- Spikes
- Heart Swap

Gengar-Mega @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Shadow Ball
- Secret Sword
- Taunt

Swampert-Mega @ Shed Shell
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Magic Coat
- Baton Pass

Latios-Mega (M) @ Soul Dew
Timid Nature
- Spacial Rend
- Psystrike
- Shell Smash
- Magic Coat

This was a team I just came up with at one point. No Guard MScept is super neat because it can't be Spored, meaning you're safe when Grass Whistle gets bounced. Scarf Diancie is great for surprising faster foes such as MMX, and it can use Leaf Blade to kill Mega Swampert. Primal Groudon is a great Magic Bounce user because it stops passive Pokemon such as Mega Scizor quite easily. Its forced switches vs Wonder Guards makes it a good Spikes setter. Wonder Guard Gengar is a great tactic to surprise kill foes such as Kyurem-Black and MMX. However, it struggles with killing Wonder Guards due to its limited coverage. You definitely want Taunt, though: you still wall passive Pokemon. Mega Swampert is there to complete FWG and set and remove Rocks, and also bounce status. It is able to slow pass into various threats as well. Mega Latios is our main wincon and Mold Breaker, using Magic Coat to stop attempts to postpone or end the sweep with moves such as Spore.

:kyogre-primal::greninja-ash::greninja-ash::lopunny-mega::swampert-mega::giratina:
Kyogre-Primal @ Damp Rock
Bold Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Chatter
- Recover
- Parting Shot

Greninja-Ash (M) @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Water Spout
- Water Shuriken
- Steam Eruption
- Volt Switch

Greninja-Ash (M) @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Water Shuriken
- Night Daze
- Guillotine

Lopunny-Mega @ Focus Sash
Hasty Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sticky Web
- Sheer Cold
- Sacred Fire

Swampert-Mega (M) @ Rindo Berry
Jolly Nature
- Crabhammer
- Precipice Blades
- Shell Smash
- Destiny Bond

Giratina @ Iapapa Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Healing Wish
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- U-turn

Kyogre is the rain setter. Chatter is used to annoy MMX, who can deal up to 35% damage in recoil. The move itself also 2HKO's, and works on a variety of physically offensive foes. Mold Breaker Greninja is used because again, Rain has a poor WG matchup, and this one doesn't have the Mold Breaker spam of the last one. No Guard Greninja is used to get a free kill, and Greninja in itself is also an excellent No Guard user, as it is able to take out Guillotine immunities with a Night Daze. Mega Lopunny is our suicide lead, effectively getting webs up while also scoring a kill or two with fast Sheer Colds. It also resists U-turn, allowing it to adapt to the opponent attempting to control the early game. Mega Swampert is a second Wonder Guard user, who prevents No Guard from tearing the team apart. Finally, Giratina is used for setup control, hazard control, and Healing Wish.

:shiftry::gengar-mega::gengar-mega::aerodactyl-mega::metagross-mega::gyarados:
Shiftry @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Careful Nature
IVs: 13 Atk
- Knock Off
- Gastro Acid
- Spikes
- Spore

Gengar-Mega (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Moongeist Beam
- Secret Sword
- Rapid Spin
- Metal Burst

Gengar-Mega @ Spooky Plate
Modest Nature
- Judgment
- Secret Sword
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance

Aerodactyl-Mega (M) @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Sheer Cold
- Sing
- U-turn

Metagross-Mega @ Leppa Berry
Ability: Harvest
Jolly Nature
- Extreme Evoboost
- Searing Sunraze Smash
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

Gyarados (M) @ Gyaradosite
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Substitute
- Taunt
- Power Trip

The standout of this team is the suicide lead. Shiftry may seem like a strange choice, but it is the bulkiest Pokemon available that is immune to both Spore and Prankster. It is able to use STAB Knock Off to disrupt the opponent early game and set Spikes easier. It carries Gastro Acid to mess up No Guard users as well as effectively giving it Mold Breaker Knock Off, a powerful tool. Magic Guard Mega Gengar removes hazards and also acts as a tool to prevent Shell Smash sweeps. Always keep it healthy. The other Mega Gengar is used as a QD Imposterproof sweeper who doubles as a Magic Bounce user. Mega Aerodactyl always contributes to the game, as it can grab kills insanely easily and keep momentum flowing at the same time. Mega Metagross can straight up end the game right then and there and also Baton Pass its deadly boosts to teammates. Beware of Imposter, however. The same is true with Gyarados, who takes advantage of defensive teams who rely on Wonder Guard.

:muk-alola::audino-mega::groudon-primal::mewtwo-mega-x::zygarde-complete::lugia:
Tri Hazard (Muk-Alola) @ Air Balloon
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Shore Up
- Toxic Spikes

Magical Symphony (Audino-Mega) @ Shed Shell
Sassy Nature
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Rapid Spin
- U-turn

Gaia Volcano (Groudon-Primal) @ Shed Shell
Impish Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Sacred Fire
- Spikes
- Recover

Vanishing Strike (Mewtwo-Mega-X) @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Photon Geyser
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Trick

Cell Storm (Zygarde-Complete) @ Icium Z
Impish Nature
- Thousand Waves
- Haze
- Encore
- Destiny Bond

Deep Hurricane (Lugia) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Bold Nature
- Perish Song
- Encore
- Stealth Rock
- Recover

Alolan Muk and Mega Audino form a powerful Wonder Guard core. Alolan Muk pressures the opponent with Knock Off and Toxic Spikes, while Mega Audino keeps the team healthy with Wish, Heal Bell, and Rapid Spin. It can always pivot to Alolan Muk to Pursuit ghosts when they come in to spinblock. Primal Groudon is capable of dealing with several Wonder Guards, such as Mega Scizor and Alolan Muk, and a Magic Bouncer is required to keep momentum up against more passive teams and strategies. Mega Mewtwo X provides speed control and a powerful wallbreaker, using Knock Off to remove Shed Shells for Lugia. Zygarde-Complete provides setup contrlo with Haze and Destiny Bond. It is also able to trap foes for Lugia. Lugia is a Perish Song trapper, using Encore and Perish Song to trap and remove foes. It has Safety Goggles so that it cannot be interrupted by sleep, and it is also able to freely set Stealth Rock during the Perish Song turns.

:groudon-primal::groudon-primal::groudon-primal::altaria-mega::groudon-primal::groudon-primal:
Groudon-Primal @ Choice Band
Ability: Contrary
Adamant Nature
- Assist
- Beak Blast
- Shadow Force
- Trick

Adamant Nature
- Assist
- Dig
- Shadow Force
- Trick

Adamant Nature
- Assist
- Circle Throw
- Destiny Bond
- Trick

Altaria-Mega @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- V-create
- Spiky Shield
- Destiny Bond
- Whirlwind

Groudon-Primal @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Assist
- Shell Trap
- Destiny Bond
- Trick

Groudon-Primal @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Assist
- Beak Blast
- King's Shield
- Trick

Just some dumb Assist team. The reason why Mega Altaria is the V-create user is because of its great defensive synergy with Primal Groudon. Mega Altaria sponges Water and Ground moves and Primal Groudon can take Poison, Steel, Fairy, and Ice attacks. You're better off using TArrows with Assist. On those teams, it's best for the TArrows user to be Torterra because it resists both Water and Ground and PDon can help with its Ice, Poison, and Fire weaknesses.

:blissey::lucario-mega::gyarados::heliolisk::mewtwo-mega-x::blissey:
Blissey (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- U-turn
- Final Gambit
- Poison Fang

Lucario-Mega @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Sunsteel Strike
- Close Combat
- V-create
- Earthquake

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Brave Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- U-turn
- Rapid Spin
- Spectral Thief

Heliolisk @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Water Spout
- Nuzzle

Mewtwo-Mega-X @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Photon Geyser
- Sunsteel Strike
- Play Rough
- Thousand Arrows

Blissey (F) @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Innards Out
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Gentle Nature
IVs: 0 Def
- Rapid Spin
- U-turn
- Diamond Storm
- Spectral Thief

Just a meme. I started with Imposter Blissey because I knew wallbreakers would be incredibly common and I needed a tool against them. The same logic applied with Innards Out Blissey. I then added Contrary Mega Lucario, as a Contrary user that could bypass Wonder Guard if needed. I use Contrary because the value of Wonder Guard has decreased, and Mega Lucario because it has both Sunsteel Strike STAB and STAB of an abusable move, namely Close Combat. It also has good Attack and Speed. I then enlisted two Wonder Guards, Gyarados and Heliolisk. Gyarados's job was to improof Mega Lucario, and Heliolisk in turn improofed Gyarados. I then added Scarf MMX because it's Scarf MMX.

:altaria: Thank you for reading, and have a good day! :altaria:

Another VR update! I've discovered some new things about the metagame.

Skarmory C+ > B+, below Kingdra. I know this rise is massive, but bear with me. Skarmory is just too good. It needs to be hit by a super-effective move, and both Sacred Fire and Thunderbolt are on the special side, which receives inferior boosting. Counter Skarmory is a revolutionary set that has made this rise possible, feasting on the entire physical metagame. Its ability to switch onto EdgeQuake so easily is astounding. It becomes even stronger on rain, able to completely stop opposing Rain without Thunder Ludicolo or Regice. Its Sacred Fire weakness is also nullified, allowing it to wall a much larger variety of Pokemon that can go as far as the Latis. Hell, it's great on Sun too, as it utterly and completely walls Rayquaza and Latis with some help from a Fire resist. Finally, it is incredibly splashable, fitting on sun, rain, balance, offense, and stall. All of these amazing qualities mandate a rise to B+.
Exeggutor C+ > C, below Quagsire. This thing sucks because it's just too slow. Others like Shiftry and Special Victreebel can do Exeggutor's job just fine, with Victreebel having better Speed and a secondary typing that helps and Shiftry has the ability to Pursuit trap weakened foes. Exeggutor has none of these things, and could fall even further in the future.
Tyranitar C+ > C+, below Dodrio. I know this is a tiny drop but I just think the lack of physical Dark moves means that Tyranitar can't perform its job better as an anti-Lati check and that its weaknesses to Grass and Ground hurt vs weather.
Groudon A+ > S, the bottom. Dragon Dance is just such a good set now that people are running Groudon despite not needing weather. Once it gets going it just completely decimates anything that isn't a super wall like Skarmory. You can even tech Sacred Fire on it to beat Skarmory. Groudon can easily get into a position where it gets a free turn, and nothing can really stop it from getting to +2. At that point you need a miss to win. Groudon is pretty much the only EdgeQuaker that can actually beat EdgeQuake checks because its Special Attack is high enough to tech special moves like Sacred Fire to beat would-be checks. All in all, I believe Groudon is superior to its A+ brethren and therefore belongs in S.
Gardevoir C > D, below Machamp. What does this do again? I think it was supposed to be anti-weather + a Slaking check but doesn't Band Ray do that exact thing? It's just not a good mon and deserves D.
Dusclops D > C-, the bottom. On the other hand, Dusclops is good enough to escape D. It's a bulky spinblocker and that's all. Nothing else really challenges it at this role because they're not bulky. It's great when passed a Substitute by Lugia, as it works in conjunction with its high defenses. Compared to its D Rank brethren, which are just barely getting by, Dusclops has an established role and therefore deserves C-.

Gen 6 Pure Hackmons No Guard Re-imagined

Mewtwo-Mega-Y @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
-
Sludge Wave
- Fissure
- Inferno
- Zap Cannon

This can also be Mega Gengar and/or be Modest. If you are not using gravity; sheer cold>fissure. The goal of this set is to be a no guard user that can beat several WG Cores. It still struggles against Mpert/BalloonDrapion/Normals/ Balloon Electrics/Lati@s(which is fixed if your sheer cold). You can most of these issues with STAG. I also have been trying Gravity + fissure. Also Maybe Freeze Dry>Zap Cannon could be cool.

Drapion @ Air Balloon
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Defog
- Recover
- Stealth Rock

Latios-Mega @ Soul Dew
Timid Nature
- Spore
- Gravity
- Spacial Rend
- Psystrike

Mewtwo-Mega-Y @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Fissure
- Inferno
- Zap Cannon

Xerneas @ Iron Plate
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Judgment
- Moonblast
- Freeze-Dry

Scizor-Mega @ Shed Shell
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Powder
- U-turn
- Roost
- Gravity

Kyogre-Primal @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Gravity
- Wish
- Scald
- Baton Pass

Here are all of the teams replays so far. (I included the earlier versions because I dont have many to share)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6customgame-1063846090
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6customgame-1063853039
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6customgame-1064223864-s6v1q8o7aer7ymq149gayobdjd6yxa4pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6customgame-1063833353-jkvobautwj285pm8rrxijkvoze2cjjepw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6customgame-1064242570-hakuzfgw63qw13s1x6rkn5vcwg9ln88pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6customgame-1064245109-i8gqeeaxgxmd5shf196knccpgafndyfpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6customgame-1064700849-syvohyianpzm2n6vovpmtgp1yybd9fqpw

(Also why do the samples get murdered by Smash Xern) (I am editing in new replays)

Last edited:

berry

what kind
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Hi. This is my first post in an attempt to generate Gen 6 Discussion, Movement, and Development.

actually finish this and add more pokemon
order each pokemon in each tier
generate community discussion
I was originally going to make a gigantic post with a lot of information about Gen 6 as my 377th post (haha regirock number), but I haven't had the time to sit down and write more than a couple hundred words. Instead, I decided to create my version of a Gen 6 Viability Rankings, and go on with that post in the near future. These viability rankings are in their beta stage, so I still have to refine a couple of the tier descriptions, move add some more mons, move some mons around, etc. However, I do believe in their current version they are acceptable, although they are incomplete. I will edit or remove this notice when I believe they are in a better form.

Send me a message on discord (rr#9863) or showdown (regirock) if you see a typo or mistake, believe there are gigantic flaws in this list, think there are mons I am overlooking, or you just want to argue with my choices.

Generation 6 Viability Rankings (beta)

Note: I will freely move mons up or down the viability rankings based on community input, unless I completely disagree with the decision. The metagame will change in the future, and this list needs to reflect that.

Gen 6 Viability Rankings have been discussed a ton in the oldshark room, with the general consensus being that wonder guard users and non-wonder guard users should be tiered separately. The first viability ranking will be ranking pokemon based on the roles I've seen them perform, as well as the potential I think they have with certain abilities, items, or moves. The second viability ranking will just rank wg users. In the first list, I will only be ranking pokemon from S to B-, and lumping more pokemon into a “C or Below” tier. Beyond this, I believe you can make a case for almost any other pokemon to be viable, or you should just look higher up the list and find something that fills your slot better. The WG list will go from S to C or below, but it will only include full steps. This is by no means meant to be a complete list of every viable set ever (although it will probably grow to be just that in the future), just an analysis of how good these mons perform.

Definitions: Mons will be given one of these roles unless they fill some extreme role that somehow doesn’t fall under these. I will work on example sets in the future.
Physical: uses physical attacks to deal damage, either through boosting or clicking.
Special: uses special attacks to deal damage, either through boosting or clicking
Utility: fills roles such as prankster, magic bounce, magic guard, etc. Utility in ORAS Pure is not one specific thing, but pokemon that do not have offensive power and not wonder guards are usually placed in this role.
Stag: shadow tag
Ohko: One Hit Knock Out (usually sheer cold or fissure)
X > mega X: This pokemon is sent out as a pre-mega form, usually with an ability like wonder guard, then megas into its natural mega ability.

note: i'm working on providing example sets for all of these mons, when they're ready they will be accessable by clicking the images for each mon. if you want to contribute sets, just pm them to me on discord (rr#9863) or ps (regirock)

S
These pokemon are essential and omnipresent. If unchecked or unprepared for, both offensively and defensively, these pokemon WILL run rampant, and in the best case scenario, they will always result in you losing pokemon, momentum, or other positional advantage. There is no reason to forget about these pokemon while building teams or playing, and if you do, there is no excuse for playing with a team that leaves these pokemon without answers other than your own low player skill and bad team curation. Pokemon in S and S- tier have extreme power, utility, and potential.

:deoxys-speed: ohko, utility
:mewtwo-mega-x: physical
:shedinja: wonder guard*

*this slot is for wonder guard in general, not shedinja. wonder guards are ranked separately than normal pokemon in Gen 6 Pure Hackmons. Placing Wonder Guard in S tier does not mean every wonder guard user is top viability, but that as a concept, it is essentially required on any viable team.

S-
These pokemon are near-essential basic building blocks of Gen 6 Pure Hackmons teams. Pokemon in this tier have extremely high usage and viability, and you’re way more likely to see them in a game than not.

:giratina: utility

A: These pokemon are widespread and extremely in the format, but less prevalent than S or S- tier pokemon. When looking to build a team, the pokemon in A tier will be your best friends, as they will carry their weight on the team more often than not.

A+
:mewtwo-mega-y: special
:gengar-mega: special, utility
:latios-mega: special
:aerodactyl-mega: stag, physical

A
:kyurem-black: ate
:diancie-mega: ate
:gyarados: > :gyarados-mega: premega wg > mega mold
:banette-mega: physical

A-
:chansey: imposter (items in order of viability: choice scarf, eviolite, shed shell, lucky punch, plate, pikachu with light ball)
:yveltal: physical, utility
:groudon-primal: physical, stag
:rayquaza-mega: physical, ate
:arceus: ohko, utility

B: These pokemon are borderline viable, but that doesn’t discount them completely in games. These pokemon fill niches or holes on teams, but they should not be looked at as primary choices when building and playing.

B+
:groudon: utility
:registeel: utility
:venusaur-mega: utility
:slowbro-mega: utility
:slaking: physical, utility
:regigigas: physical, utility

B
:steelix-mega: utility
:kyurem-white: ate
:ampharos: > :ampharos-mega: premega wg > mega mold
:aegislash: utility
:hoopa-unbound: physical, special
:sceptile-mega: ohko, special

B-
:sableye: > :sableye-mega: premega wg > mega bounce
:zekrom: physical
:garchomp-mega: physical
:beedrill-mega: physical

C or Below
These pokemon are ranked in no particular order. There is some, very borderline viability present, but in the end they are extremely niche choices that will more often than not fall flat on their face in a battle. These require heavy team support. Some of these choices are purely speculative, and they may have little to no real results when playing games.

:gengar: > :gengar-mega: premega utility > mega stag
:altaria-mega: utility
:cobalion: stag, utility
:regirock: utility
:shuckle: utility

WG Viability Rankings
dramlamb will be taking care of WG Ranks in this post.
tagging Ransei because he probably has some input.

ORAS Pure Hackmons Viability Rankings
(still in beta! please bear with me!)

Pokemon are organized alphabetically inside of each rank.​
S Rank
:deoxys-speed:
:giratina:
Wonder Guard (dramlamb will be taking care of WG Ranks in this post.)

S- Rank
:chansey:
:mewtwo-mega-x:
:mewtwo-mega-y:

A+ Rank
:aerodactyl-mega:
:diancie-mega:
:gengar-mega:

A Rank
:gyarados: > :gyarados-mega:
:kyurem-black:
:latios-mega:

A- Rank
:arceus:
:groudon-primal:
:rayquaza-mega:
:slowbro-mega:
:yveltal:

B+ Rank
:regigigas:
:registeel:
:slaking:

B Rank
:aegislash:
:steelix-mega:
:venusaur-mega:
:xerneas:

B- Rank
:ampharos: > :ampharos-mega:
:beedrill-mega:
:hoopa-unbound:
:kyurem-white:
:zekrom:

C or Borderline
:shedinja:
:banette-mega:
:gengar: > :gengar-mega:

Last edited:
Wow, that's a really great start. For me a few things come to mind.

I would change the icon on Wonder Guard to something less confusing like Scizor-Mega or Sableye-Mega.

I would just assume that imposter is using the best item and treat it as one category. Also I think it's probably just B tier because imposter puts you in a fairly reactionary position and most teams can imposter-proof pretty easily.

I am not convinced that Shadow Tag is S tier in a team preview metagame.

Ate is probably B tier.

Wonder guard needs to be expanded or contracted a little maybe.

Here is a rough draft of the ORAS Wonder Gaurd viability rankings. This is by no means a comprehensive list of all the pokemon that can run Wonder Guard successfully, but these are probably some the most useful ones.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

S Tier

:arceus: fighting
:kyogre-primal: grass, electric
:gyarados: electric, rock
:scizor-mega: fire
:audino-mega: poison, steel
:swampert-mega: grass
:sableye-mega: fairy
:xerneas: poison, steel

A Tier

:deoxys-speed: bug, dark, ghost
:electrode: ground
:manectric-mega: ground
:genesect: fire
:regigigas: fighting
:slaking: fighting

B Tier

:palkia: dragon, fairy
:mewtwo: bug, dark, ghost
:cresselia: bug, dark, ghost
:meloetta: bug, dark
:drapion: ground
:beedrill-mega: fire, flying, psychic, rock

C Tier

:chansey: fighting
:dialga: ground, fighting
:volcarona: flying, rock, water
:alakazam-mega: bug, dark, ghost
:mewtwo-mega-y: bug, dark, ghost
:deoxys-attack: bug, dark, ghost
:mewtwo-mega-x: fairy, flying, ghost
:hoopa-unbound: bug, fairy
:groudon-primal: ground, water
:mawile-mega: fire, ground

D Tier

:darkrai: bug, fairy, fighting
:ampharos: ground
:ludicolo: bug, flying, poison
:wobbuffet: bug, dark ghost
:gastrodon: grass
:snorlax: fighting
:alomomola: grass, electric
:escavalier: fire
:accelgor: fire, flying, rock
:skuntank: ground
:skarmory: electic, fire
:hariyama: fairy, flying, psychic
:volcanion: electric, ground, rock

Example sets: https://pokepast.es/359b5bef20ae85db

Last edited:
Gen 3 VR update! Some new threats have been discovered and some tactics have been rendered obsolete.

Deoxys-Speed C- > UR. So the point of Deoxys-Speed is because of the following lead matchup vs Ninjask:
T1: Deo-S uses Taunt, it's faster.
T2: Deo-S uses Skill Swap, Ninjask struggles, Taunt wears off.
T3: Deo-S uses Taunt again, and it's faster.
T4+: Deo-S Baton Passes the Speed boosts and the ability, or Substitutes first, etc.
However the whole plan is foiled because Ninjask can just Protect T1 and then use Taunt, thus completely outclassing Deoxys-Speed.
Skarmory B+ > A, below Dugtrio. Holy crap Skarmory is broken. It literally walls every physical attacker in the game and even some special attackers. It existing has made sets like DD Sacred Fire Groudon come up. Its mere presence causes such a change in the gameplay because it can come in at any time and stop every mon that doesn't run Sacred Fire or TBolt/Thunder. Though it is hit hard by users of those moves like Lanturn, it is just insane and should be in A.
Gengar UR > C-, below Heracross. A newfound threat in the metagame, Gengar's niche is to Encore an opposing threat into a bad move, then set up Belly Drum and win the game. It has the ability to be mixed and tech Thunderbolt on itself to beat Skarmory and can also Encore it into a move like Counter or Recover, making it a physical threat that can bypass Skarmory, which is huge. Its most infamous target is Slaking, who it can Encore into Extreme Speed before it can use Shadow Ball because it's naturally faster than Slaking. This is why Gengar was chosen for the role, over any other. The strategy also destroys defensive cores as they have no real answers to Encore. The large amount of targets it can set up on successfully prompts a rise to C-.
Lugia S > S, the bottom. I just think Groudon is better than Lugia. Lugia is just so passive and dies to any stallbreaking strategies. It completely stops any wallbreakers, though, and retains its incredible defensive power that makes it highly splashable and useful, so it will remain S.
Ludicolo B+ > B, the top. Ludicolo's not really strong at all and just relies on a fast Speed and a good typing. Sadly, that will only bring it so far, because Megahorn is all over the place now because of the Latis, and Electric moves are more common because of Skarmory's dominance. These metagame changes have negatively affected Ludicolo, and so it should drop.
Tyranitar C+ > C, below Quagsire. This thing sucks, it's way too slow to sweep and it can't use Dark STAB efficiently to hit Latis. It gets completely ganked by the offensive core from both weathers, making it bad as an anti-weather.
Don, Skarm, and Duggy delete it because it is unable to adapt to any meta trends. It's just bad.
Jirachi C+ > B, the top. OK hear me out, Jirachi is actually great. It's one of the best Lati and Deo-A checks in the game. It's a pretty flexible mon too, having the ability to run Band, DD, Mixed, and even Flinch. +1 Meteor Mash ends up being crazy strong with a 40% chance to increase Attack as well. Megahorn ends the Latis, and you can run ESpeed to game Deo-A and revenge kill stuff since Jirachi is decently strong on its own. It can tech Sacred Fire to beat Skarm, it can use Dragon Dance + Iron Head to flinch the opponent to death, it's mandatory on Psyspam to handle Latis. It's just a really good mon and deserves the top of B.
Heracross C- > C+, the top. After a Dragon Dance Heracross is actually super good at sweeping. It trashes Latis and Slaking and can force a ton of switches to set up. It only needs one turn and it can actually tank a Sacred Fire from Latis and get boosted from a burn. Also this isn't related to the VR but make sure to use Chesto Berry > Lum Berry on Guts users because you might miss out on a burn otherwise.
Magneton D > UR. The only relevant steels in the metagame are Skarmory and Jirachi, and it doesn't even beat Jirachi since those almost always run Earthquake. This is a pretty safe unrank.
Exeggutor C > UR. What does this do. This mon is a huge embarrassment to sun and Kyogre could probably fit better. You don't really sweep with this because it's so easily walled by Lugia and the Latis. Grass is a trash offensive type and Psychic isn't really good either. It is garbage outside of its weather so if they have Kyogre oops you're playing 5-6! In the end you're left with a worse Shiftry that isn't worth ranking. Or mentioning.

However the whole plan is foiled because Ninjask can just Protect T1 and then use Taunt, thus completely outclassing Deoxys-Speed.
deo-s has a better MU against rock blast mons without megahorn
Exeggutor C > UR. What does this do. This mon is a huge embarrassment to sun and Kyogre could probably fit better. You don't really sweep with this because it's so easily walled by Lugia and the Latis. Grass is a trash offensive type and Psychic isn't really good either. It is garbage outside of its weather so if they have Kyogre oops you're playing 5-6! In the end you're left with a worse Shiftry that isn't worth ranking. Or mentioning.
shiftry is weak lol

Sample Nomination btw/RMT

The Dragons and The Knights

:Probopass: :Giratina-Origin: :Arceus: :Jirachi: :Dialga: :Skarmory:

1583017398325.png

Probopass @ Shed Shell
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Recover
- Stealth Rock
- Will-O-Wisp
- U-turn

Probopass is the lead for the team that sets permanent sand via Sand Stream. 5/6 of my Pokemon are immune to Sand. The reason I specifically chose Probopass for this role is because it is immune to Toxic Spikes, gets a Special Defense boost from sand, and has the great defensive steel typing. Generally Probopass can pivot in on the Latis and thanks to its just great overall can get up rocks or wisp various other threats. Shed Shell is integral against other weather teams. Many other weather teams use a STAG trapper to remove weather setters to keep their own, but Probopass can switch out and have sand for later against STAG + weather teams.
Giratina - The Pokémon Wiki

Giratina-Origin @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Fire Fang
- Recover

Giratina-Origin might be the best sweeper in DPP, with its stab Dragon Claw for Wgers like Palkia and Fire Fang to hit all non Flash Fire Pokemon. I chose Magic guard because it grants the immunity to sandstorm. Not only is Magic Guard great on this team, but I believe it is the best ability overall as it stops set up sweepers #1 weakness, Toxic. Magic Guard also Freely lets me run Life Orb without recoil which can give important power increases against pokemon like WG arceus.
What is the strongest legendary/mythical Pokemon? - Quora

Arceus @ Mail
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Heal Bell
- Recover
- Extreme Speed
- Taunt

Arceus is vitally important for this team to function. It has great speed and only one type weakness. This set here can taunt and wear down your opponent which is supported by Sandstorm and Toxic Spikes. Heal bell can help Arceus deal with any potential tspikes when it comes in. Espeed helps against Deoxys Attack/Speed. The former has very weak defenses and the latter is a threat with Sheer Cold and/or Fissure and must be taken care of with haste.

Jirachi - Pokemon Tower Defense Wiki

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Careful Nature
- Trick
- U-turn
- Recover
- Toxic

Jirachi has the great typing of Steel/Psychic which allows it to be immune to fighting moves thanks to WG, this is very important to the rest of the team's functionality. Choice Scarf allows to you to outspeed Deoxys-Attack and Latios which can be integral, especially when the Deoxys-Attack has perfect coverage for your team; make sure when you trick your scarf you have scouted and dealt with these threats. Recover is for longevity and Toxic is optional and can be replaced with almost any good move.
Dialga (Pokémon) - Bulbapedia, the community-driven ...

Dialga @ Shed Shell
Timid Nature
- Haze
- Recover
- Spore
- Dragon Pulse

Dialgia is the teams only way to consistently beat last mon Magic Guard Giratina and is easily the most interchangeable, but it does have a good typing and great utility with Spore and Haze. Shed Shell is for trappers obviously.

Skarmory - The Pokémon Wiki

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Ability: Flash Fire
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Recover
- Whirlwind
- Toxic Spikes

Skarmory is possibly the most vital Pokemon on the team, due to this factor it MUST use Shed Shell. Due to defog not clearing the opposing teams hazards this generation opponents must rely on Rapid Spin to remove hazards. Giratina and the wonder guard core are all immune to rapid spin. The only conventional way to get a rapid spin off against this team is to use a Mold Breaker Pokemon that beats Giratina, which consists of several pokemon that this team has walls for and that are crippled when switching into Tspikes, for example the most common Moldy Spinner is Latios which hates Jirachi and Probopass.

This team is undefeated after several games and room tours here are a few replays, this team has a great MU against several common threats. You may see protect probopass and SR arceus because I late changed them because of me want for Espeed.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4customgame-1071422336
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4customgame-1068169163-srpjlebobwtk3yj86kuruske0std8ispw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4customgame-1068116172-8u4v0srp4m9je6t0tgubrd0k7lfdq8opw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4customgame-1067990976-8umt2rp9tc6ynehtuslie2aelsyesgkpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4customgame-1067975785-fk4ktcch15z1p4qgubzncqqsepmcapgpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4customgame-1067973694-iilzgx1pz8ltgro23uj30gutjx2xceqpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4customgame-1067523332-abx71o7fncayp0oh73uqxvqqimwypi0pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen4customgame-1071397250-a1bs47jzwhvx9fuekcdenwnvjpoypgcpw

Other Options
- Change Dialgia
- On Giratina Make LO, Griseous Orb and change mail on Arceus.

Last edited:

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Here is a rough draft of the ORAS Wonder Gaurd viability rankings. This is by no means a comprehensive list of all the pokemon that can run Wonder Guard successfully, but these are probably some the most useful ones.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

S Tier

:arceus: fighting
:kyogre-primal: grass, electric
:gyarados: electric, rock
:scizor-mega: fire
:audino-mega: poison, steel
:swampert-mega: grass
:sableye-mega: fairy

A Tier

:xerneas: poison, steel
:deoxys-speed: bug, dark, ghost
:electrode: ground
:manectric-mega: ground
:genesect: fire
:regigigas: fighting
:slaking: fighting

B Tier

:palkia: dragon, fairy
:mewtwo: bug, dark, ghost
:cresselia: bug, dark, ghost
:meloetta: bug, dark
:drapion: ground
:beedrill-mega: fire, flying, psychic, rock

C Tier

:chansey: fighting
:dialga: ground, fighting
:volcarona: flying, rock, water
:alakazam-mega: bug, dark, ghost
:mewtwo-mega-y: bug, dark, ghost
:deoxys-attack: bug, dark, ghost
:mewtwo-mega-x: fairy, flying, ghost
:hoopa-unbound: bug, fairy
:groudon-primal: ground, water
:mawile-mega: fire, ground

D Tier

:darkrai: bug, fairy, fighting
:ampharos: ground
:ludicolo: bug, flying, poison
:wobbuffet: bug, dark ghost
:gastrodon: grass
:snorlax: fighting
:alomomola: grass, electric
:escavalier: fire
:accelgor: fire, flying, rock
:skuntank: ground
:skarmory: electic, fire
:hariyama: fairy, flying, psychic
:volcanion: electric, ground, rock

Example sets: https://pokepast.es/359b5bef20ae85db
This Wonder Guard VR looks really solid and I don't have much to say. The only suggestion I have is that Xern can probably go for S tier. While it's outclassed by Mega Audino defensively it can be one of the scariest Wonder Guards anyone finds with offensive sets and with coverage moves, Xern is able to take down many teams with specific Wonder Guard combinations, like ones with a weakness to Freeze Dry/Ice, Fairy, Fire, Steel, maybe even Fighting or Ground-type depending on the coverage moves. It's also quite possibly the best offense WG that doesn't mega evolve into a mold breaker due to its high dual mixed 131 offenses and can even take further advantage of mixed now that the format has an EV limit.

Hi. This is my first post in an attempt to generate Gen 6 Discussion, Movement, and Development.

actually finish this and add more pokemon
order each pokemon in each tier
generate community discussion
I was originally going to make a gigantic post with a lot of information about Gen 6 as my 377th post (haha regirock number), but I haven't had the time to sit down and write more than a couple hundred words. Instead, I decided to create my version of a Gen 6 Viability Rankings, and go on with that post in the near future. These viability rankings are in their beta stage, so I still have to refine a couple of the tier descriptions, move add some more mons, move some mons around, etc. However, I do believe in their current version they are acceptable, although they are incomplete. I will edit or remove this notice when I believe they are in a better form.

Send me a message on discord (rr#9863) or showdown (regirock) if you see a typo or mistake, believe there are gigantic flaws in this list, think there are mons I am overlooking, or you just want to argue with my choices.

Generation 6 Viability Rankings (beta)

Note: I will freely move mons up or down the viability rankings based on community input, unless I completely disagree with the decision. The metagame will change in the future, and this list needs to reflect that.

Gen 6 Viability Rankings have been discussed a ton in the oldshark room, with the general consensus being that wonder guard users and non-wonder guard users should be tiered separately. The first viability ranking will be ranking pokemon based on the roles I've seen them perform, as well as the potential I think they have with certain abilities, items, or moves. The second viability ranking will just rank wg users. In the first list, I will only be ranking pokemon from S to B-, and lumping more pokemon into a “C or Below” tier. Beyond this, I believe you can make a case for almost any other pokemon to be viable, or you should just look higher up the list and find something that fills your slot better. The WG list will go from S to C or below, but it will only include full steps. This is by no means meant to be a complete list of every viable set ever (although it will probably grow to be just that in the future), just an analysis of how good these mons perform.

Normal Viability Rankings
S Tier
These pokemon are essential threats that you need to prepare for on every team. Period. If unchecked or unprepared for, these pokemon WILL run rampant, and in the best case scenario, they will always result in you losing pokemon, momentum, or other positional advantage. There is no reason to forget about these pokemon while building teams or playing, and if you do, there is no excuse for playing with a team that leaves these mons without answers other than your own low player skill and bad team curation.

:deoxys-speed: ohko, setup utility
:aerodactyl-mega: trapping
:mewtwo-mega-x: physical

A+ Tier
This tier is reserved for the basic building blocks of every viable pure hackmons team. Mons in this tier have extremely high usage and you’re way more likely to see them in a game than not. These pokemon are essentially required on good pure hackmons teams, and they are usually the best answers to S tier pokemon. A+ is pretty much the place to show off "S Tier Honorable mentions".

:giratina: prank, bounce, or other utility
:shedinja: wonder guard

A Tier
These pokemon help keep the S Tier pokemon in check, or are extremely viable team picks. When looking for advice on teambuilding, this is the first place you should look to see if one of these pokemon fills a spot that you are looking for.

:mewtwo-mega-y: special
:gengar-mega: :latios-mega: special setup

A- Tier
These mons are viable. In most games, they will be useful and will not be dead weight if played correctly. However, they might not have the power or utility that is clearly evident in the S tier.

:rayquaza-mega: physical
:registeel: steel utility
:groudon-primal: offensive shadow tag
:gyarados: > :gyarados-mega: mega mold
:diancie-mega: :kyurem-black: ate

B+ Tier
These mons are viable. In most games, they should carry their weight if played correctly. However, they tend to be more situational or be matchup dependent.

:arceus: sheer cold lures (could really be any mon, but arc is probably the most viable)
:gengar-mega: utility or other special
:chansey: imposter (items in order of viability: choice scarf, eviolite, shed shell, lucky punch, spooky plate, pikachu with light ball)

B Tier
These mons are viable. In most games, they should carry their weight if played correctly, but they may be too predictable or matchup dependent.

:regigigas: :slaking: big normals
:yveltal: hugepower or prank
:beedrill-mega: fast pivot

B- Tier
These mons are borderline viable. However, they will require heavy team support or a good matchup. Sometimes, these mons may be outclassed by higher tier versions of themselves, but they still have their niches.

:aggron-mega: :steelix-mega: bulky steel utility

C or Below
Niche, strange, or alternative meta picks. Using these pokemon is very matchup dependent, and more often than not, they will not carry their weight on a team.

:ampharos: > :ampharos-mega: mega mold
:gengar: > :gengar-mega: mega stag

moved ate down to A-
consolidated imposter in B+, listed items in viability order

WG Viability Rankings
dramlamb will be taking care of WG Ranks in this post.
tagging Ransei because he probably has some input.
As dram said, this is a really good start and looks really good as a light summary of what's good in the format. In the future we can definitely expand on the individual things these Pokemon do and add plenty more Pokemon. We can even use this as a base.

If I have anything to say though, I think based off these descriptions, Wonder Guard should be S tier. Each team has to have as much solid prep for them as possible and without a proper check there's hardly any way players have of winning against them in a match, plus the variety of Wonder Guards in this generation is quite ridiculous in comparison to any other gen, so there are an immense amount of them teams would have to prepare for at once.

In a format where team preview and ev limit hits perishtrappers the hardest, Huge Power is top notch, Giratina and Gengar are absolute godsends, Wonder Guards already like to pivot due to acquiring high momentum, and Shed Shell is one of the few really effective items on Pokemon, reading from the descriptions, Shadow Tag might be as low as A tier.

Mega Aerodactyl by itself is perhaps better than "A" as a Pokemon due to the immense amount of opportunities it gets to threaten everything with its atk + speed combination and STAB attacks.

I'm a bit skeptical on Imposter Chansey's ranking and think it should be as high as A or A- tier but I'll hold off on my explanations for now.

These are all my thoughts about it atm.

Edit: I also think every Pokemon should be ranked individually for everything they do (Mega Gengar is in two separate ranks for two separate roles), just to make things less confusing for players, then in the future we could add some sort of SetPedia where the individual sets can be shown. Also, I like the individual roles with ranks, like no guard lure. Great idea since realistically any Pokemon can run this and do the job well.

Oh yeah, one last thing.

You both, regirock and dramlamb are now members of the Gen 6 resource council. Both of you are definitely dedicated to the format, have solid amounts of Gen 6 experience admittedly much more experience than I do, and great judgment regarding how good things are in the depths of Gen 6 competitive. I can definitely trust the both of you to help take care of ORAS Hackmons resources!

Last edited:
Wow thanks. I'm really exited to get working on it. Again any suggestions as to what in particular you all would like me to work on would be awesome.

Also yea, you are not the only one who feels like Xerneas needed to be put back into S and it makes sense when you consider it's stats and typing so now it is S rank again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)