OM Interviews (#26: OM room)

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What set / core / team are you most proud of creating?
Probably the thing I'm most known among the casual monotype players isn't even something I can, nor would, claim as my creation.

all falls down made a hyper offensive steel team that featured a lead skarm to set hazards, bisharp and doublade to keep those hazards, and mega-scizor at the start of the oras meta.

I (unknowingly) built a similar squad, but did a worse job with it. I made an rmt of that team to serve as an example for a project we were doing in the mono room. That team is often referred to as scp's ho steel by casual players because it is a sample team.

My version is a really bad team...but some ppl use it. Really, AFD should get the credit for that team concept from the entire community because his version is a great build.

Will you venture out of Monotype and play other OMs?
Best Monotype contributor, after yourself, obviously
Top 3 Monotype tournament players
How do you pronounce scpinion (I pronounce it sip-pin-yon)
Favorite Monotype'd OM?

scpinion

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
One of these days(TM) I will venture out. I'm not a fan of really complex metagames, so I think I'd play something like tier shift or 1v1. I like AAA mono, so I might try the actual meta too.

Man, picking one is really tough. I think Anttya deserves that spot though. She's on the council, a mod in the room, runs the viability rankings, runs the set and ev compendium, and is a part of the new C&C QC team. I probably forgot something on that list too.

Honorable mention should go to Lax and Dece1t. They are very strong contributors to specific sections of the community too.

Top 3 tour players are rnbs (he carried the diancies to a MPL win imo), Paleo, and all falls down.

es-cee-pen-yun. As in (the letter s), (the letter c) pinion

I think AAA mono is the best one. Defensive abilities are important in Monotype because they often form a key part of defensive cores (e.g. flash fire or volt absorb on steel or water, respectively). Being able to assign those to any member of a team really expands team building options, which is great in a monotype format.

One of these days(TM) I will venture out. I'm not a fan of really complex metagames, so I think I'd play something like tier shift or 1v1. I like AAA mono, so I might try the actual meta too.

Man, picking one is really tough. I think Anttya deserves that spot though. She's on the council, a mod in the room, runs the viability rankings, runs the set and ev compendium, and is a part of the new C&C QC team. I probably forgot something on that list too.

Honorable mention should go to Lax and Dece1t. They are very strong contributors to specific sections of the community too.

Top 3 tour players are rnbs (he carried the diancies to a MPL win imo), Paleo, and all falls down.

I think AAA mono is the best one. Defensive abilities are important in Monotype because they often form a key part of defensive cores (e.g. flash fire or volt absorb on steel or water, respectively). Being able to assign those to any member of a team really expands team building options, which is great in a monotype format.
I thought it was scp-pin-ion o.o
Also, I can't slack off anymore because u said that :(

Ay I've been saying it the right way all along!

Questions:
Favourite Pokemon to use in Mono AAA and why?
What types benefit the most from the availability of the new abilities and why?
Most improved mon in mono AAA (as in top threat in mono AAA, but not in regular mono)?

scpinion

Ay I've been saying it the right way all along!

Questions:
Favourite Pokemon to use in Mono AAA and why?
What types benefit the most from the availability of the new abilities and why?
Most improved mon in mono AAA (as in top threat in mono AAA, but not in regular mono)?
Admittedly, I'm not great at Mono AAA because I haven't adapted to the new strategies that AAA affords. I've just augmented Monotype strats with new abilities for the room tours.

I really like using Download <insert stupidly strong mega-evo> (Char-Y, Pinsir, etc.) because they can bust through checks/counters (I got this from Fírnen). It isn't the best, but I do enjoy using it.

They all benefit, honestly. The types that were already good seem to stay good though. Flying, Water, Psy are all great.

Lots of really good things just become much better. For example, Gyarados with an Electric immunity is really nice. As for something that has a unique niche in Mono AAA... I like adding Gastrodon with Sap Sipper to my water teams. Once again, I'm not amazing at this meta, but Gastrodon was almost irrelevant before.

DoW

formally Death on Wings
One of the most annoying things about Tiering is that we're forced to work with what Game Freak has given us. If you became CEO of Game Freak tomorrow, what would you change in order to improve Monotype?

scpinion

One of the most annoying things about Tiering is that we're forced to work with what Game Freak has given us. If you became CEO of Game Freak tomorrow, what would you change in order to improve Monotype?
In general, I'd make the types more balanced as far as what they have access to.

I think giving every type access to reliable hazard setters and removers would go a long way. Types like electric essentially have to play 5 vs. 6 to put SR on a team (stunfisk is the only option) when they have a great defensive core that could take advantage of hazards. Ghost is unable to reliably remove hazards, which leaves the team incredibly vulnerable and heavily reliant on Taunt and/or Mega-Sab.

I'd also strive to give every type enough viable attackers so the team as a whole can effectively attack from both the physical and special side. It is stupid that something like Chansey can just win vs. some types.

Slowbro > scientists?
My old avatar had scientists in it. It is also a pretty apt description of how I feel about working in the lab right now (I'd rather play Pokemon). :P

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Here we go with another interview! This time we welcome your favorite region roommod...

[source]
Ransei

What was your first ever Pokemon experience? How did you get into competitive Pokemon and more specifically Anything Goes?

I would say getting Pokemon Sapphire was my first true Pokemon experience. I got into competitive Pokemon really when I joined Showdown. Before then I would just use No Status Uber teams and even Hackmon teams against my friends. Really it took a while to get into Anything Goes as I mostly played other OMs like Hackmons (when that was around),Balanced Hackmons, and sometimes 1v1. I guess I kinda just tried out Anything Goes and saw the resemblance of that and Ubers (which was the first meta I used the teambuilder and played on when I joined Showdown) and enjoyed how the metagame works. I tend to like a metagame with no limits to be honest which is probably also why I got into Anything Goes.

What is your most favorite Pokemon in AG and why? What is your least favorite and why?

AG-wise, I would probably have to go with Arceus because of its unique movepool and how so many other strategies.
From Magic Coat to Swords Dance, it is able to boost up attack and sweep, while at the same time not worry about those Thunder Waves being used. Best of all, it has the most success of pulling this off. My least favorite Pokemon in AG are Liepard and Glalie. Liepard gave me the most devastating AG battle ever by pulling off spore spam as I was also being haxed by misses, and Glalie, once Glalie's Moody brings up evasiveness, it's over. Pokemon like Driftblim can pull off evasive moves as well but when its evasiveness doesn't come out of luck. Usually a Drifblim has other strategies rather than just stall, mainly setting up to attempt passing it to another Pokemon, which is possible to stop along the way and when it does, they'd have to restart. With Glalie, they just sit there until you lose from missing every attack out there.

What is your favorite underrated Pokemon to use in AG?

Aerodactyl-Mega, Tyranitar, and Furret. Yes, Furret!

Do you have anything to tell players, new and old, about how to learn or get into Anything Goes?

I don't have anything much to say to them, but I could challenge them to a battle to show them how it's like playing the metagame. If I do have something to say, I would mainly point out Darkrai, Klefki, Arceus, Mega Rayquaza, and Groudon-Primal and how they affect the metagame.

What are you most known for (doesn't have to be Pokemon related but can be)?

Towards the Other Metas community right now, playing BH and moderating the OM room. Towards other servers, That guy who is auth on a lot of servers and for helping people out with roomintros and avatars. Also for how nice I tend to be I think.

What is your obsession with Pokemon Conquest? Who is your favorite Warlord and favorite Pokemon within the game?

Around the time I joined Showdown, was thinking of usernames to go to and then quickly went to Ransei, because it represented the region of the game I was currently trying to complete all the way. Therefore since I chose that name, that game sticks with me :) My Favorite Warlord overall is Nobunaga because he's basically the powerhouse of the game and my favorite Pokemon in the game is of course, the majestic Shiny Rayquaza that you get in the end after you get all other legendary Pokemon. Design-wise, I would say Kotarō because of that awesome Zoroark cosplay.

What players do you look up to or are really good friends with within the OM community?

About all the roommods and roomowners, InfernapeTropius11, Official Fissure, Piccolo, Dream Eater Gengar, OM Room, Glyx, Rumplestiltskin, kl4ng, and many others. Thanks everyone!

What are you looking forward to the most from Sun and Moon for Anything Goes?

I'm looking forward to seeing how Zygarde 100% does in the metagame. To see if it does more than a Mega Rayquaza does. I'm also looking forward to how Solgaleo and Lunala would work for the metagame.

Can you post a team within a type of your favorite playstyle with a brief explanation on how it works?

Pack a Punch (Arceus) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Magic Coat

MegaDelRay (Rayquaza-Mega) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Delta Stream
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed

Ar☾eus (Arceus) @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Claw
- Magic Coat

Deer Of Life (Xerneas) @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Substitute
- Moonblast
- Thunder

KillItWithFire (Arceus-Ghost) @ Spooky Plate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Judgment
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Recover

♛Bacon Wings♛ (Yveltal) @ Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Roost
- Taunt/Foul Play
- Dark Pulse

The idea about this team was to test how multiple Arceus do so great in the metagame. I usually lead with one of the two Swords Dancers and just go for a Swords Dance since I already have a Lum Berry in most situations. When there is a Klefki, I would use Earthquake, and when there is Darkrai, I would pull out Magic Coat as most users I battle who have Darkrai tend to use Substitute after they Dark Void. One Arceus has Earthquake to check Steel-types like Dialga, and the other has Shadow Claw to check off Ghost-types like Giratina. The 3rd Arceus is an Arceus used to mostly recover from the hazards my opponent sends out, or to burn them with Will-o-Wisp so that their attack would be cut in half. The Yveltal is meant to rather do devastating damage as well. 397 Special Attack on Yveltal really brings out the pain to opponents. Foul Play would be a great move to use on Yveltal but rather bulkier ones as Foul Play Yveltal is best for checking Arceus. If it's a bulky Yveltal, it's best for actually countering Arceus rather than just checking it. Mega Rayquaza and Xerneas are meant to be set up sweepers. Mega Rayquaza starts off with a quick Dragon Dance and then usually I attack after that because a 2nd chance would be risky around the time I use it. After a few or so turns, it would usually get KOed by Arceus. If they don't have an Arceus, then it would be far more successful. For Xerneas, it starts off with Geomancy or Substitute. Substitute is a move I really tend to put on Xerneas because many people have the habit of just automatically poisoning it, early or late game and poison may ruin Xerneas's chances of sweeping entirely.

The biggest thing this team is weak to really are other Xerneas, as it lacks anything that is able to take a 2x Moonblast hit from it. The only way to defeat x2 Xerneas afterwards is either to spam priority moves on the 4 Pokemon I have it on, or just to hope that someone in my team could be able to take it.

I had fun doing this interview and now spam Ransei with questions as to why he is named after my favorite sidegame's region.

What's the comment you made about Furret about? I know that "underrated" doesn't always equal "good" and I'm not much of an AG player, but what about it made it be deemed worthy of a mention when you were asked about Pokémon that are underrated? Do you just really like Furret or something?

(now to wait for that comment just being a joke and me completely missing it, this happens regularly)

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
What's the comment you made about Furret about? I know that "underrated" doesn't always equal "good" and I'm not much of an AG player, but what about it made it be deemed worthy of a mention when you were asked about Pokémon that are underrated? Do you just really like Furret or something?

(now to wait for that comment just being a joke and me completely missing it, this happens regularly)
One day I was playing Mix and Mega, I thought about Furret. I thought about the perfect mega/primal for it, and I choose Primal Groudon. Ever since then Furret was deemed to be worthy for me. It's like slapping a random Unaware Bidoof in your team and trying it out. The underrated part was a joke though.

I've even made a team dedicated to pdon Furret.
A Furret (Furret) @ Choice Band
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Retaliate
- Double-Edge
- Knock Off
- Quick Attack

Jolly Nature
- Retaliate
- Double-Edge
- Knock Off
- Quick Attack

Jolly Nature
- Retaliate
- Double-Edge
- Knock Off
- Quick Attack

Jolly Nature
- Retaliate
- Double-Edge
- Knock Off
- Quick Attack

Jolly Nature
- Retaliate
- Double-Edge
- Knock Off
- Quick Attack

A Furret (Groudon-Primal) @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Lava Plume
- Solar Beam
- Rock Slide
- Earth Power

Mq

It's Megaqwer's Time!
Why do you like four legged pokemon so much?:/
Have you lost your badge?:')
Who do you prefer as your role model?

Randoms questions are b-b-b-back!

Tell me about someone you really admire?
What are the last 4 digits of your cellphone?
What do you do in free time?
What scares you most and why?
Do you untie your shoes when you take them off?
If you could trade lives with one person for an entire day who would it be and why?
Do you believe in ghosts?

Which would be harder for you to give up: coffee or alcohol?
Whats your favorite day of the year?
What do you think is the most useless class in high school?
Pen or pencil?
Do you scream on roller coasters?
Whats your most missed memory?
Who is the first person you call when you have a bad day?
If you dont know the words to a song do you improvise?
If a jogger runs at the speed of sound, can he still hear his iPod?

How do you handcuff a one-armed man?
If a kid refuses to sleep during nap time, are they guilty of resisting a rest?
Why does the Easter bunny carry eggs? Rabbits don't lay eggs.

"If any one warlord conquers all 17 kingdoms of Ransei, the legend of Ransei be reborn - Ransei"
Rate this comment made by U, yes you....

GG,wp, have fun answering them :')​

Last edited:

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
List of some Favorite Pokemon:
How many of them have 4 legs?
Have you lost your badge?:') Nope?

Who do you prefer as your role model? The Sinnoh region.
Randoms questions are b-b-b-back! O.O
Tell me about someone you really admire? Nah :^)
What are the last 4 digits of your cellphone? My, Name, Is, No
What do you do in free time? Well, I'm on Showdown and Smogon
What scares you most and why? I don't know hmm there would be plenty of things... Not these questions tho, totally not these questions.
Do you untie your shoes when you take them off? No...
If you could trade lives with one person for an entire day who would it be and why?
raseri, because I want to know how it's like being a username so similar!
I do in Pokemon and FNAF :D
Coffee because I am under 21 and not interested in drinking alcohol.
Whats your favorite day of the year? Some random day. Maybe Christmas?
What do you think is the most useless class in high school? I'm oddly one of the few people who don't feel that a class is that useless for some odd reason. I want to say multiple ones but I don't know yet what or if they would do something for me.
Pen or pencil? Pen unless it's a school assignment.
Do you scream on roller coasters? I don't know, never ridden one.
Whats your most missed memory? ;-; playing Hackmons (Not Classic, but just Hackmons)
Who is the first person you call when you have a bad day? No one.
Sometimes.
If a jogger runs at the speed of sound, can he still hear his iPod? I wouldn't think so.
How do you handcuff a one-armed man? I will put one cuff on their arm, the other on one of their legs.
If a kid refuses to sleep during nap time, are they guilty of resisting a rest? ...
Why does the Easter bunny carry eggs? Rabbits don't lay eggs. Holiday cheer! probably stole them from some magical bird.

"If any one warlord conquers all 17 kingdoms of Ransei, the legend of Ransei be reborn - Ransei"
10/10 I would say.

GG,wp, have fun answering them :')​
List of some Favorite Pokemon:
How many of them have 4 legs?
Have you lost your badge?:') Nope?

Who do you prefer as your role model? The Sinnoh region.
Randoms questions are b-b-b-back! O.O
Tell me about someone you really admire? Nah :^)
What are the last 4 digits of your cellphone? N,O,O, and O
What do you do in free time? Well, I'm on Showdown and Smogon
What scares you most and why? I don't know hmm there would be plenty of things... Not these questions tho, totally not these questions.
Do you untie your shoes when you take them off? No...
raseri, because I want to know how it's like being a username so similar!
I do in Pokemon and FNAF :D
Coffee because I am under 21 and not interested in drinking alcohol.
Whats your favorite day of the year? Some random day. Maybe Christmas?
What do you think is the most useless class in high school? I'm oddly one of the few people who don't feel that a class is that useless for some odd reason. I want to say multiple ones but I don't know yet what or if they would do something for me.
Pen or pencil? Pen unless it's a school assignment.
Do you scream on roller coasters? I don't know, never ridden one.
Whats your most missed memory? ;-; playing Hackmons (Not Classic, but just Hackmons)
Who is the first person you call when you have a bad day? No one.
Sometimes.
If a jogger runs at the speed of sound, can he still hear his iPod? I wouldn't think so I mean unless physics break even more and it's Sonic The Hedgehog running around.
How do you handcuff a one-armed man? I will put one cuff on their arm, the other on one of their legs.
If a kid refuses to sleep during nap time, are they guilty of resisting a rest? ...
Why does the Easter bunny carry eggs? Rabbits don't lay eggs. Holiday cheer! probably stole them from some magical bird.

10/10 I would say.

Last edited:

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
Hi.

Opinions on the AG metagame as a whole?
Comic Sans or Times New Roman?
Favourite Doritos flavour?
How did you manage to choose a team name worse than "The Beta Bagons"?
Rhythms asks: You're stuck in an elevator and Skarmtilizer appears; what do you do?
What do you name said Skarmtilizer?
Pre-1.3 or post-1.3 gravel texture?
If you don't pay your exorcist, do you get repossessed?

What music do you listen to?
How deep is your love?
Is it like the ocean?
Charlie Sheen or Ashton Kutcher in Two and a Half Men?
Have you got the X-factor?

Why would I want a Lax-natured Lapras?
What word becomes shorter when you add two letters to it?
Why don't you like Flint?
Why do you admire DEG so much?

Translate these English words into Americanese (without looking, just guess if you don't know please):
Arvo
Bonnet
Brekkie
Power point
Rubber (Stationery item)
Malcolm Turnbull
Servo

Thanks for answering! :D

Ransei

Garde Mystik
Hi.

AG is pretty fun. Nothing stands out terrible for me except spore spam and Glalie.
Times Now Roman
Cheddar
Pikachus are legendary man. Take a look at Quantum Tesseract's elo and my 16-0 o3o. It's a great name! I mean, I respect your name being so complicated with bidoof in it and your story behind it. No reason not to respect mine Don't refer to the anime. Would Da Pika Army be better? I'm pretty sure the rest of the team names don't even have that much of a story to it. Also, the legend part refers to the legend of Ransei with Pikachu representing Pikachuun. What does The Five-Bidoof Fighting Battalion represent in Zangooser and Uselesscrab?

Rhythms asks: You're stuck in an elevator and Skarmtilizer appears; what do you do?
I battle it.
Skarmory
post-1.3?
If you don't pay your exorcist, do you get repossessed? Yes?

What music do you listen to? Most things
How deep is your love? deep enough
Is it like the ocean? Not sure yet
Charlie Sheen or Ashton Kutcher in Two and a Half Men? Kutcher
Have you got the X-factor? no
Why would I want a Lax-natured Lapras? LaxLapras is best Lapras
What word becomes shorter when you add two letters to it? is it short?

F-Flint is ok.
92 GXE in 1v1 is enough for me to admire
Translate these English words into Americanese (without looking, just guess if you don't know please):
Arvo
Bonnet
Brekkie
Power point The Pokemon word is pp.
Rubber (Stationery item)
Malcolm Turnbull
Servo
A-Americanese?

Thanks for answering! :D
AG is pretty fun. Nothing stands out terrible for me except spore spam and Glalie.
Times Now Roman
Cheddar
Pikachus are legendary man. Take a look at Quantum Tesseract's elo and my 16-0 o3o. It's a great name! I mean, I respect your name being so complicated with bidoof in it and your story behind it. No reason not to respect mine Don't refer to the anime
I battle it.
Skarmory
post-1.3?

F-Flint is ok.
92 GXE in 1v1 is enough for me to admire and he's a good fren.
Arvo
Bonnet
Brekkie
Rubber (Stationery item)
Malcolm Turnbull
Servo
A-Americanese?

Last edited:

Ransei

Garde Mystik
Times Now Roman
Cheddar
Pikachus are legendary man. Take a look at Quantum Tesseract's elo and my 16-0 o3o. It's a great name! I mean, I respect your name being so complicated with bidoof in it and your story behind it. No reason not to respect mine Don't refer to the anime
I battle it.
Skarmory
post-1.3?

F-Flint is ok.
92 GXE in 1v1 is enough for me to admire and he's a good fren.
Arvo
Bonnet
Brekkie
Rubber (Stationery item)
Malcolm Turnbull
Servo
A-Americanese?
Also, the Beta Bagons and Legendary Pikachus have more representation of their names than any other team. For some reason I couldn't edit that in the bigger post.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mq
Do you think your life is meaningful right now?

If not, what will you do to make your life meaningful?

Are you annoyed when you answer the questions above?

Do you listen to music? If so, what kind of music you listen to?

What meta do you think will win the OMotM this time?

If you have the power to add one perma ladder, what meta would you add and why?

How do you motivate yourself to do tasks like homework or studying for tests?

Reactions: nv

Ransei

Garde Mystik
Maybe

Well, I said maybe.
Nah
Usually most kinds. Hip hop, Rap, Dubstep, maybe some rock, peaceful, Pokemon themes, etc.
I actually don't know as of right now. I could probably see many people fighting off for Gods and Followers, 2v2 Doubles, or something like that. Speaking of which, this is a perfect day to have nominations made.
I would probably say Mix and Mega because it's been one of the most popular OMotM's I've ever seen and play and it's good seeing a meta where every fully evolved Pokemon could Mega Evolve. I do have several different options though if I could add one perma ladder that could surpass this really just two different options.
By explaining how good I would do if I do it and how horrible I may do if I don't.

Maybe
Well, I said maybe.
Nah
Usually most kinds. Hip hop, Rap, Dubstep, maybe some rock, peaceful, Pokemon themes, etc.
I actually don't know as of right now. I could probably see many people fighting off for Gods and Followers, 2v2 Doubles, or something like that. Speaking of which, this is a perfect day to have nominations made.
I would probably say Mix and Mega because it's been one of the most popular OMotM's I've ever seen and play and it's good seeing a meta where every fully evolved Pokemon could Mega Evolve. I do have several different options though if I could add one perma ladder that could surpass this really just two different options.
By explaining how good I would do if I do it and how horrible I may do if I don't.

Reactions: nv

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)