Project OM Mashup Megathread

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
July 2020's Mashup Spotlight is ending soon and with it, our voting round is up again.

This time our options are:

STABmons Little Cup
Camomons Balanced Hackmons
Almost Any Ability Tier Shift
Almost Any Ability Doubles

As usual, voting will take place in our OM Mashups Discord Server: https://discord.gg/sUNG4kg. Instructions can be found in #voting-channel for those wanting to vote.

Voting deadline is set for August 23rd @ 11:59 PM EST

:marowak: Tier Shift AAA is the new Mashups Spotlight! :kadabra: August 24th - September 23rd

Code can be found in the repository, but im pasting it here for ease of access as well:

Code:
/tour new Gen8 Tier Shift, Elimination
/tour rules !Obtainable Abilities, -Arena Trap, -Comatose, -Contrary, -Fluffy, -Fur Coat, -Gorilla Tactics, -Huge Power, -Ice Scales, -Illusion, -Imposter, -Innards Out, -Intrepid Sword, -Libero, -Moody, -Neutralizing Gas, -Parental Bond, -Protean, -Pure Power, -Shadow Tag, -Simple, -Stakeout, -Speed Boost, -Water Bubble, -Wonder Guard, -Shedinja, -Arctovish, 2 Ability Clause, -Arena Trap
/tour autostart 10
/tour autodq 4
/tour name [Gen 8] Tier Shift AAA
In related news, Axgwd and Tmi489 have agreed to form the TS AAA council with me! This means that tiering decisions will fall to the three of us for now. However, my position as council member will likely be temporary, so if over the course of the spotlight anyone else shows interest and skill at this meta I will gladly let them take my place.

As for things on the watchlist:
1) Silvally forms :silvally:
2) Marowak :marowak:
3) Kadabra :kadabra:
4) Terrain and EForce/RVoltage
5) Weather

Feel free to comment if you think anything else should be looked at or if something on the list doesn't seem problematic to you. Have fun with the spotlight!

Feel free to comment if you think anything else should be looked at or if something on the list doesn't seem problematic to you. Have fun with the spotlight!
Light Ball Pikachu and Type: Null are two I could see being problematic. T:N maybe not so much with the evio ban but with its stats and access to all abilities, might be a huge wall.

Posting few TS AAA sets
:ss/sandaconda:
72 HP / 137 Atk / 155 Def / 95 SpA / 100 SpD / 101 Spe
Sandaconda @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 236 HP / 236 Def / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Body Press
- Glare
A PH Rocker. Glare is a nice utility and its Speed Tier with NU boost is good that it outspeeds a paralyzed Barraskewda ( 156 Speed ) with no EV Investment in Speed. Adding 8 Speed EVs also allows Sandaconda to even outspeed a paralyzed Adamant Ninjask. The Speed EVs above was for outspeeding a paralyzed Choice Scarf Passimian.

:ss/drakloak:
68 HP / 120 Atk / 90 Def / 100 SpA / 90 SpD / 142 Spe
Drakloak @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
- Fire Blast
Just a rip-off Dragapult with no Dragon Darts because their speed and offensive stats are completely identical, but Dragapult is legal in TS AAA if i'm correct so... used that instead.

:ss/mr-mime-galar:
50 HP / 105 Atk / 105 Def / 130 SpA / 130 SpD / 140 Spe
Mr. Mime-Galar @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Focus Blast
- Nasty Plot
- Hypnosis
A No Guard Sweeper with a sleep move.

Also...
:ss/marowak:
Marowak is still does what it did last gen, abusing Speed boosting abilities alongside its immediate double attack boost from Thick Club. I would... probably still defend Thick Club Alowak by choosing to ban Marowak-Kanto instead of banning Thick Club. Will post my reasoning if ever Marowak suspect happened.

ShionShadows

Soaring to Greatness
:xy/victini: :xy/victini:

On a different note, V-Create has been restricted in STABmons! This won't affect STABmons Mix and Mega as it is already restricted there but we will see what the respective TL's are going to do with the remaining STABmons mashups, noting the metas are STAAABmons, STABmons Doubles, and STABmons LC.

Tranquility

If I can stop one heart from breaking
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
:Kadabra: SPOTLIGHT UPDATE :kadabra:

Kadabra has been quick banned from Tier Shift Almost Any Ability! With it's very high special attack stat and great speed tier, Kadabra quickly established itself as a top offensive mon. Paired with Psychic Surge, Expanding Force was a very spammable move that necessitated the need for a Regenvest Steel or Incineroar. Dazzling Gleam hit most darks (and did great damage neutrally), Psyshock hit those physically weak, Trick crippled special walls, and the potential for CM sets were there. Expanding Force will be watched as well, in case users like Mr. Mime (Galar) do similar things, in that case Kadabra will be retested.

Other Updates: Electric Surge, Silvally, Marowak and Throh are on our watchlist for the time being, but will be reevaluated after the meta changes take place.

Volcarona has been banned in Doubles OU! :sm/volcarona:

This will affect all Doubles mashups besides BH Doubles. While I have plans to vote to unban it in STABmons Doubles, I eventually decided to scrap this idea as while Volcarona doesn't like Spectral Thief or priority attacks, it would appreciate Transform support a lot. With the being said, I'm open to any discussion of whether to revisit Volcarona or not.

In the meantime, expect more activity on STABmons Double because I would want to see how V-create and Wicked Blow performs in STABmons Doubles more.

STAB N MEGA Announcement!

Snafutari has stated he'd like to step down from his position as TL, which led me to form a new SNM council. Currently it consists of me, Chazm, Andyboy and Catalystic but my position on it is temporary and we will re-examine the situation post TPP so I will be glad to see other people joining it at that time. With that said, our first decisionas council is to restrict Boomburst and unban Ditto.

I will update the code in the repositories after this week concludes, but for now the new code can be found here:
Code:
/tour new Gen 8 Mix and Mega, elimination
/tour rules STABmons Move Legality, *Acupressure, *Belly Drum, *Bolt Beak, *Boomburst, *Double Iron Bash, *Extreme Speed, *Fishious Rend, *Shell Smash, *Shift Gear, *Spore, *V-create, *Wicked Blow, +Eternatus, +Lunala, *Blissey, *Chansey, *Eternatus, *Lunala, *Magearna
/tour autostart 10
/tour autodq 4
/tour name [Gen 8] STABmons Mix and Mega
This decision will not affect the remaining TPP games of week 3, but should be taken into account for week 4!

EDIT: to offer some transparency as to the STAAABmons council's decision making process. :volcarona: Volcarona is being looked at intensively by the council, however there's been a few things holding us back from just quickbanning it.
1) I'm at the end of a very busy and stressful period in my life since I had to make sure I'd graduate by the end of next week, which left me without the mental energy to really approach my STAAABmons council duties seriously and effectively.
2) TPP is going on, and while most of the council feels volcarona is broken, the matches just didnt reflect it in any way. Volc usage isn't very high, nor is its winrate. It could be because people dont wanna rely on a hit or miss button clicker to win games when there is the possibility of Flash Fire blanking your main breaker but Im not sure.
3) Given that the TPP meta in no way reflects the council opinion on the power of Volcarona, we feel like a straight up quick ban would be unfair to the players and could come off as biased. With that in mind, we are considering doing an "expanded" vote on Volcarona where we let certain trusted members of the community as well as people who have won a game of STAAAB in TPP vote on the issue.

Last edited:
I suppose I should showcase some STABmons Doubles sets.

:ss/weezing-galar:
Weezing-Galar @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Neutralizing Gas
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 112 SpA / 84 SpD / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Bomb
- Moonblast/ Dazzling Gleam
- Moonlight
- Baneful Bunker

Already a good Pokemon in regular DOU, Galarian Weezing is in my opinion much more annoying in STABmons Doubles with it having Moonlight to recover, allowing it to stay in the field longer. Additionally, Baneful Bunker compresses as a protection move and spreading poison. After using Baneful Bunker for a bit, I do miss Toxic Spikes since it's better at spread poison rather than waiting someone to hit it with Fake Out or V-create, but Galarian Weezing needs Moonlight so what can I do. Same spread as the standard one, you could replace Moonblast with Dazzling Gleam in case of redirection.

:sm/bouffalant:
Bouffalant @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- High Horsepower/ Megahorn
- Whirlwind/ Fake Out/ Feint/ Recover
- Protect

Through finding a good Extreme Speed user, I stumbled across Bouffalant who has good bulk and Sap Sipper to block Sleep Powder and Grassy Glide. Anyway for its moves, Extreme Speed serves as a powerful priority attack that allows it to go first regardless of what speed control the opponent has, High Horsepower acts as a powerful coverage move and Megahorn to dish heavy damage to Rillaboom and Indeedee. Whirlwind to phaze setup attackers such as Kommo-o or Trick Room setter out. Alternatively, Bouffalant could go for Fake Out to give its ally some momentum to work with, and Feint for breaking protection.

As for no Earthquake, you don't really use Earthquake unless you gain STAB from it since spread move deals x0.75 damage unless it targets one Pokemon. Even then, Rillaboom is everywhere.

:sm/drapion:
Drapion @ Choice Band
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wicked Blow
- Gunk Shot/ Poison Jab
- Stomping Tantrum/ Sucker Punch
- Parting Shot/ U-turn

Finally, I want to try out Wicked Blow and Drapion happens to be a good answer with its Sniper ability boosting the power of critical hits. Stomping Tantrum in case of Incineroar, Parting Shot, and U-turn enables Drapion to switch out depending on what you want, either to lower offensive power or dealing some chip damage.

Tranquility

If I can stop one heart from breaking
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Hi Y'all, here with a couple of updates regarding STAAAB: Just wanna preface by saying that the showings so far in TPP 2 Have been great, and really opened up some new meta innovations or things that were overlooked, and am excited to see where it goes! Anyways, onto the announcements:

#1: ICYMI The Number Man has stated his plan regarding Volcarona as well as any other things we'll see problematic, the vote will be more open to staaab game winners in tpp as well as other active players! More details regarding the process and vote will be out soon.

#2: Usage Stats for the first 3 weeks of TPP is here! While it may not be much, it's still a good enough sample size to notice some metagame trends. Full usage stats are here:

Code:
+ ---- + ------------------ + ---- + ------- + ------- +
| Rank | Pokemon            | Use  | Usage % |  Win %  |
+ ---- + ------------------ + ---- + ------- + ------- +
| 1    | Urshifu-*          |   13 |  54.17% |  38.46% |
| 2    | Chansey            |   10 |  41.67% |  70.00% |
| 2    | Corviknight        |   10 |  41.67% |  60.00% |
| 4    | Golisopod          |    8 |  33.33% |  37.50% |
| 5    | Alakazam           |    7 |  29.17% |  42.86% |
| 6    | Runerigus          |    5 |  20.83% |  60.00% |
| 6    | Tyranitar          |    5 |  20.83% |  40.00% |
| 6    | Toxapex            |    5 |  20.83% |  20.00% |
| 9    | Volcarona          |    4 |  16.67% |  50.00% |
| 9    | Hydreigon          |    4 |  16.67% |  50.00% |
| 9    | Doublade           |    4 |  16.67% |  50.00% |
| 9    | Ferrothorn         |    4 |  16.67% |  25.00% |
| 13   | Marowak-Alola      |    3 |  12.50% | 100.00% |
| 13   | Kommo-o            |    3 |  12.50% |  66.67% |
| 13   | Jirachi            |    3 |  12.50% |  66.67% |
| 13   | Gyarados           |    3 |  12.50% |  66.67% |
| 13   | Rotom-Heat         |    3 |  12.50% |  66.67% |
| 13   | Primarina          |    3 |  12.50% |  33.33% |
| 13   | Blissey            |    3 |  12.50% |  33.33% |
| 13   | Noivern            |    3 |  12.50% |  33.33% |
| 21   | Porygon2           |    2 |   8.33% | 100.00% |
| 21   | Azumarill          |    2 |   8.33% |  50.00% |
| 21   | Rhydon             |    2 |   8.33% |  50.00% |
| 21   | Zarude             |    2 |   8.33% |  50.00% |
| 21   | Ninjask            |    2 |   8.33% |  50.00% |
| 21   | Gengar             |    2 |   8.33% |  50.00% |
| 21   | Gallade            |    2 |   8.33% |  50.00% |
| 21   | Kyurem             |    2 |   8.33% |   0.00% |
| 21   | Inteleon           |    2 |   8.33% |   0.00% |
| 30   | Mamoswine          |    1 |   4.17% | 100.00% |
| 30   | Steelix            |    1 |   4.17% | 100.00% |
| 30   | Dhelmise           |    1 |   4.17% | 100.00% |
| 30   | Celebi             |    1 |   4.17% | 100.00% |
| 30   | Cinderace          |    1 |   4.17% | 100.00% |
| 30   | Snorlax            |    1 |   4.17% | 100.00% |
| 30   | Slowking           |    1 |   4.17% | 100.00% |
| 30   | Sylveon            |    1 |   4.17% | 100.00% |
| 30   | Seismitoad         |    1 |   4.17% | 100.00% |
| 30   | Mew                |    1 |   4.17% | 100.00% |
| 30   | Hatterene          |    1 |   4.17% | 100.00% |
| 30   | Drampa             |    1 |   4.17% | 100.00% |
| 30   | Magnezone          |    1 |   4.17% | 100.00% |
| 30   | Jellicent          |    1 |   4.17% |   0.00% |
| 30   | Talonflame         |    1 |   4.17% |   0.00% |
| 30   | Shuckle            |    1 |   4.17% |   0.00% |
| 30   | Heliolisk          |    1 |   4.17% |   0.00% |
| 30   | Stunfisk-Galar     |    1 |   4.17% |   0.00% |
| 30   | Excadrill          |    1 |   4.17% |   0.00% |
| 30   | Lycanroc           |    1 |   4.17% |   0.00% |
| 30   | Mandibuzz          |    1 |   4.17% |   0.00% |
| 30   | Barraskewda        |    1 |   4.17% |   0.00% |
| 30   | Togekiss           |    1 |   4.17% |   0.00% |
3. The STAAAB VR has been updated! Here are the following changes based off of TPP + OMM Roomtours usage/winrates. Feel free to discuss any of the changes of nominate changes of your own!

RISES

Golisopod (A+ ~> S-)
Hydreigon (A ~> A+)
Urshifu-Single-Strike/Rapid Strike (A ~> A+)
Noivern (A- ~> A)
Runerigus (B+ ~> A)
Mew (B+ ~> A-)
Snorlax (B- ~> A-)
Zarude (B ~> A-)
Dhelmise (UR ~> B+)
Jolteon (UR ~> B+)
Magnezone (UR ~> B+)
:coalossal: Coalossal (UR ~> B)
Porygon 2 (B- ~> B)
Steelix (UR ~> B)
Galarian Form
Stunfisk (UR ~> B-)
DROPS

Volcarona (S ~> BANNED!)
Kommo-o (A+ ~> A)
Talonflame (A+ ~> B+)
Lycanroc (A ~> B+)
Heliolisk (A- ~> B+)
Heracross (A- ~> B)
Oranguru (B ~> B-)

Last edited:
STAAABmons announcement! :volcarona: :volcarona: :volcarona: :volcarona: :volcarona: :volcarona: :volcarona: :volcarona: :volcarona:

The council has decided to hold an expanded vote on whether our favorite Coronavirus causing moth Volcarona will be banned from STAAABmons or remain legal in the tier. Voting rights will be given to the council (Axgwd, manu 11,RICEMAN, Tmi489, Best Gal The Number Man ), anyone who has won a game of STAAABmons in TPP (Aloopuriza, Don Vascus, Jrdn, PokeArt2004♥ as well as anyone who wins their match this week) and certain active members of the community (Dylanronpa, Binacleisthebest, Derpeddeath, InvalidOS, youngsterjoeyv69).

Voting starts now and will be open until the last match of tpp week 4 is played or sunday midnight GMT+2, whichever is later. Volcarona will be banned if the vote "BAN" reaches a 60% or greater majority. Please vote in this thread. If you don't want to vote, feel free to abstain - you can post your abstain vote here, pm me or just not vote.

Your post should look like one of the following:

STAAABmons Volcarona suspect:
Vote - BAN

Vote - DO NOT BAN

Abstain

------------- Votes will be gathered below ----------------------
ABSTAIN:
Tmi
tmi abstain.png

TL;DR: Abstinence is cool
-----------
BAN:
The Number Man
Vote - BAN
Vote - BAN
Vote BAN
Vote - BAN
STAAABmons Volcarona suspect
Vote - BAN:
-------------
DNB:

Last edited:
TL;DR: Abstinence is cool

I don't want to make a choice that will negatively impact the meta in the long run so I have chosen to abstain from voting.
My reasoning being I would prefer corona moth to stay due to its offensive presence in the meta, I personally enjoy it's wallbreaking potential. However I feel it's presence can be unhealthy due to how destructive the bug is.

Don Vascus

Certified Wednesday Poster
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Vote - BAN

If you want to build a defensive core you have to account for Volc, Zam, AND other special attackers. Remember that none of these share checks. And that we havent even gone through physical attackers and that's already half the team.

2hkoing resists without the need of Tinted Lens is not ok

Vote - BAN:

The only argument for volc is that it's blanked by ff, which is true until it runs turboblaze. Chansey does pretty well against it until it gets 2HKO'd by eruption. There just aren't any viable mons atm that aren't completely blasted by a volc set, so I can't see how it's healthy at all for the current meta.

Vote - BAN
I 100% Agree with binpin, I run both flash fire doublade and chansey on most teams and it often comes short as volcorona checks, I then wondered why I was even running flash fire doublade.
Volcorona does have too many sets and possibilties to check.

Vote - BAN

As much as I like broken stuff, you know there's something wrong when chansey gets 2HKO'd by a special move that doesn't deal damage based on defense. Even I think that's too broken. And I agree with some of the other points made, its really hard to counter and you have to constantly worry about countering it when building. Because of that, I say ban this fiendish volcanic coronavirus spreading moth.

Best Gal

once upon a time wont last forever
Vote - BAN

Volc may have a million mostly viable sets as outlined above that tool its various checks, that's true, but it realistically only needs like 4 of those to tear shreds through this meta. MGLO QD sets are the primo special setup sweeper, Desoland Specs Eruption 2HKOs even the sturdiest stuff we have, Turboblaze/Moldy/Teravolt nuke FF Doublade/Corviknight/whatever else because that's not allowed, and Tinted Lens can blast through even the sturdiest TTars known to man.

Much more frustrating than building against this (a special sponge + tinted/deso check is a hefty consideration to feel "safe" against Volc, but there are technically mons that can deal with Volc in one slot as laughable as they may seem out of that context (monkey around with the spead/set tho cause i suck at calcing)) is that when you're seeing it in preview it's absolutely impossible to plan for it until the ability is revealed, because counterplay when you dont know the set can lead to some really ugly exchanges. That's nothing new for mons but the frequency of the scenario with Volc alone can make games feel significantly more matchup oriented and volatile. Coupled with its effects on teambuilding I don't think it's especially controversial to suggest that this mon is unhealthy and centralizing, excessively so.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)