Gen 6 Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire Mega Evo discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mega Sceptile has massive opportunity cost since it uses a mega. With massive ground spam in ORAS right now, being able to take electric moves from Zekrom isn't really a selling point, and even still it's a poor Zekrom solution. Mega Sceptile also offers little defensive synergy to a team in a meta where it is hard to check all these new (and old) big threats. Maybe some player down the road will find a niche for it but right now I don't really see a reason to use it.
i kind of figured that massive ground spam might be a reason to use sceptile. but i guess shaymin s already exists if you want a fast offensive grass type, but iirc it's not super duper anyway

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Mega Sceptile packs a x4 Water resistance + Ground resistance and has Dragon STAB. I wouldn't say Skymin outclasses it.

Rosen I don't think anyone has tried Mega Sceptile yet but a set of Leaf Storm/Dragon Pulse/Earthquake/Rock Slide with a Rash nature is probably a good place to start. It seems like it would be decently effective against a lot of the common offensive builds. I also think EQ > Focus Blast because of Klefki. Rock Slide lets you beat Ho-Oh. Being so fast also has its perks (you can still outrun Skymin with a Rash nature iirc)

yohoE

I'm jus Here for da memes r wateva dem shits called
Mega Sceptile packs a x4 Water resistance + Ground resistance and has Dragon STAB. I wouldn't say Skymin outclasses it.

Rosen I don't think anyone has tried Mega Sceptile yet but a set of Leaf Storm/Dragon Pulse/Earthquake/Rock Slide with a Rash nature is probably a good place to start. It seems like it would be decently effective against a lot of the common offensive builds. I also think EQ > Focus Blast because of Klefki. Rock Slide lets you beat Ho-Oh. Being so fast also has its perks (you can still outrun Skymin with a Rash nature iirc)
max rash sceppy outspeeds max timid skymin by 1 point oo

also, (bear with me here as i am not very familiar with ubers sets/which ones are most common and the like), how does mega sceptile appear to be shaping up? good offenses, fantastic speed, and great coverage against a good portion of the tier. i think. at least, it ohkos ground arceus, support groudon, and specs kyogre with a modest leaf storm, which it can afford to run due to its rediculous speed tier. also ohkos zekrom with dpulse, and can make tricky switches against choiced zekroms thanks to lightningrod. also ohkos what i *think* is standard palkia after sr with dpulse, and has an 81% to ohko offensive dialga with focus miss provided it doesn't live up to its nickname. albeit it loses to a bunch of other stuff, namely, aegislash, ho-oh, and xerneas, as well as mega mewtwo 1v1 (provided it didn't get a sub up). i'm probably missing a bunch of stuff due to lack of familiarity with the tier, but hey, that's why i'm asking.
if what you claim is true, that it ohkos groudceus, primal groudon and kyogre is true, then I do believe it does have a place in uber. It can also outspeed and ohko mega gengar so there a grass type not mega gengar bait. Nice ability, nice typing, nice speed. and nice coverage. pretty good

4x weak to ice beam tho/

it does indeed. i love me the fuck out of mega sceptile when i attempt to partake in this tier being able to use it well would be neato. what good partners would be out there for it? aegislash seems pretty decent off the top of my head for handling xerneas/normal arceus. i think aegi can handle espeed arceus at least, unless it commonly runs eq? still ho-oh to worry about, i'd rather use substitute/giga drain on sceptile over rock slide if i can, and it's not like either can switch in anyway. what's a decent ho-oh check? rock arceus? gira? i basically have no idea how this tier functions but i want to use sceptile dammit

it does indeed. i love me the fuck out of mega sceptile when i attempt to partake in this tier being able to use it well would be neato. what good partners would be out there for it? aegislash seems pretty decent off the top of my head for handling xerneas/normal arceus. i think aegi can handle espeed arceus at least, unless it commonly runs eq? still ho-oh to worry about, i'd rather use substitute/giga drain on sceptile over rock slide if i can, and it's not like either can switch in anyway. what's a decent ho-oh check? rock arceus? gira? i basically have no idea how this tier functions but i want to use sceptile dammit
Aegislash shouldn't be used to check normal arceus they do commonly carry earthquake. to check ho-oh smart use of SR, there actually no good check for ho-oh.

the bird is too stronk

yohoE

to further the sceptile conversation; the problem with running rash over naive is that it's still out-sped by mewtwo (and it's formes) and mega gengar, which both bop sceptile with ice beam/sludge bomb

yeah it misses out on the ohko on p don too with a +spa nature.

252+ SpA Mega Sceptile Leaf Storm vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Primal Groudon: 274-324 (80.3 - 95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

yeah i think naive is better for the reason in the over post

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
to further the sceptile conversation; the problem with running rash over naive is that it's still out-sped by mewtwo (and it's formes) and mega gengar, which both bop sceptile with ice beam/sludge bomb
Also Rash Sceptile is slower than Jolly MEvoed Mega Ray. I tried putting Mega Sceptile on a ORAS HO team and it's just dead weight, although Canman did have a Genesect and no Kyogre.

Aegislash shouldn't be used to check normal arceus they do commonly carry earthquake. to check ho-oh smart use of SR, there actually no good check for ho-oh.

the bird is too stronk
gotcha. what about mewtwo/shadow ball though, is that a common thing or can aegislash usually check it reliably? also with sceptile/primal groudon shouldn't that turn into an ohko after sr? (on mobile so can't check calcs)

gotcha. what about mewtwo/shadow ball though, is that a common thing or can aegislash usually check it reliably? also with sceptile/primal groudon shouldn't that turn into an ohko after sr? (on mobile so can't check calcs)
it slightly miss out on a guarantee ohko even with SR. aegislash generally fares well against mewtwo but not always. jirachi or yveltal is better for checking mewtwo.

jirachi has decent synergy with mega sceptile. what's its most common/best set, scarf? sceptile seems like it would appreciate u-turn support to get in safely anyhow. but yeah it seems like actually mega evoing is sceptile's biggest struggle

there actually no good check for ho-oh.

the bird is too stronk
Arceus-Rock checks Ho-oh quite well. It just needs to watch out for Earthquake. I believe Physically Defensive Yveltal also checks Ho-oh since it can recover lost HP with Roost and smack Ho-oh hard with Foul Play.

I think the over-the-top aspect of primal Groudon that makes him so ridiculously threatening is his immunity to both burn and t-wave. It may seem like an obvious point at first, but think about it - Arceus/Giratina willowisps and prankster t-waves have always been an almost 100% check to every set up sweeper out there: ekiller, xerneas, anything. Not to mention the random scald burns and sacred fires sprinkled in. Sure, you may end up sacrificing a 'mon to get that crucial status off but afterwards you can consider it a neutralized threat.

Groudon completely throws this out the window though. In terms of status, all you can do is toxic and wait it out, which is a pretty horrible strategy to cling to when he proceeds to wipe through 2 or 3 of your pokemons before succumbing to the poison and weak priority moves (100/160 phys defense remember, lol). So, anything that can't really threaten groudon with a really strong special attack or a ground stab is basically free set up, even if they get off a toxic or whatever. (And don't forget that toxic misses)

I think that paralysis is a somewhat underutilized status effect, and the obvious speed drop but more subtly the parahax chances, are extremely useful in ubers. In a meta where everything is advised to use missable moves like thunder and focus blast and fire blast, having that 25% hax chance can do all kinds of things in your games and skew probabilities. (I recently read a post that had carefully calculated the probabilties for parafusion to beat a chansey, lol) But obviously, in this particular case, it's more about the permanent speed loss, which can allow something fairly slow but strong on the special side to finish off Groudon.

To that end, I wanted to put forward the idea of ways to paralyze groudon despite his ground typing. That basically only leaves Glare, Stun Spore, and Body Slam as options, and it's pretty slim pickings.

So, although there are reliable options like Gyarados and Rayquaza for dealing with a boosted Groudon, there may be a scarce handful of other pokemon out there that can somewhat check groudon in their own way, like Whimsicott and Altaria.

That was a pretty longwinded post just to outline the possibilities of getting status on Groudon, but, that's really the way that I tend to play pokemon anyway and whether defensive playstyles will be a viable option or not remains to be seen. Hopefully all the offense players out there will do their best to force most groudons to only carry 1 boosting move instead of both :)

Primal Groudon just feels like Game Freak's attempt to make a Pokemon as grossly overpowered as possible. Give it just two weaknesses because of Fire/Ground typing, neuter its worst weakness in Water, make it immune to Thunder Wave and Will-o-wisp, give it stats that blow through the ceiling and every coverage/boosting move that it could dream of having, and bypass the Mega Evolution cost.

Does anything counter Primal Groudon? In fact, does anything that's relevant in Ubers even check this thing?

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Does anything counter Primal Groudon? In fact, does anything that's relevant in Ubers even check this thing?
It can be offensively checked, any possible counters that I have considered are dependent on the set and / or on current battle circumstances.

yohoE

Primal Groudon just feels like Game Freak's attempt to make a Pokemon as grossly overpowered as possible. Give it just two weaknesses because of Fire/Ground typing, neuter its worst weakness in Water, make it immune to Thunder Wave and Will-o-wisp, give it stats that blow through the ceiling and every coverage/boosting move that it could dream of having, and bypass the Mega Evolution cost.

groundceus + lugia > pdon

yo no one runs +SpA mewtwo/darkrai/skymin because what they outspeed with a+spe is so crucial. Same for mence. zzzzzzzzzz Ray outspeeds literally nothing with a +spe nature hence why it doesn't need to run one, same can't be said for mence since arceus is such a crucial benchmark.

edit: hell even now, the only reason why arceus run +spe nature is to speed tie with itself which just shows how important the 120 base speed mark is.
Agreed. Although, isn't the 110 benchmark pretty significant, if not only to out-speed MGar pre-MEvo (assuming it doesn't get banned)? Also, doesn't running max speed on Mega-Ray at least create the possibility of speed-ties with other max speed Mega-Rays?

Minority

Numquam Vincar
Jolly Mega Ray ensures you are faster than Mega Diancie, Gengar, Lugia, Mega Lucario, Lati@s, and can be desired versus another Mega Ray. Not saying its better than Adamant or anything but it does have useful situations.

It can be offensively checked, any possible counters that I have considered are dependent on the set and / or on current battle circumstances.
Max Defense/HP Groundceus with Judgment/Recover beats every variation of Primal Don.

Edit: I meant to quote the post MS quoted, not his. lol.

Minority

Numquam Vincar
252 SpA Primal Groudon Overheat vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Arceus-Ground in Sun: 303-357 (68.3 - 80.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Since you are running max defense for some reason you are slower and get killed. If you are going to use special Groundceus to check P Don, max defense is complete overkill; you are better off running speed and 36 SpA to ensure the OHKO with Judgment on offensive P Don. Even still P Don can Toxic your Groundceus on the switch and you are essentially running a dedicated check that is bait for many other mons, so it's not exactly a fantastic solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)