Tournament OMPL VI - Week 7

E4 Flint

-inactive in BH due corrupt leader-
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Art by h_n_g_m_n
Other Metagames Premier League VI
- Week 1 | Week 2 | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 | Week 6 | Week 7 | Playoff | Finals -
- Information Thread | Roster | Schedule | Standings | Replays & Usage Stats -
Discussion Thread
How this works
There are 8 teams this year. Each team will have have 6 players and at least 2 subs. The players are bought using the 80k credits that managers receive during the auction. Teams can win their matchup every week by winning 4 of the 6 matches that their players have to play.​
The tier lineup this year is as follows:​
  1. Bo3 USUM Anything Goes
  2. USUM Anything Goes
  3. USUM Balanced Hackmons
  4. Bo5 USUM 1v1
  5. USUM Mix and Mega
  6. USUM Almost Any Ability
All games will be played on the Pokemon Showdown main server or SmogTours in the most current version of the format corresponding to those listed above. Apart from where it is explicitly mentioned (1 and 4 above), the result between players may be decided in a best-of-one or best-of-three at the discretion of both players involved. If there is no agreement, the result will decided in a Bo1 by default.​

Winning a round rewards a team with 2 points, drawing 1 point, and losing zero points. In addition, the manner in whichthe round has been won will also be recorded i.e. the difference between a team's wins and losses in a specific week's round (referred to as "Win Differential").​
Each team will play one another for seven weeks, after which the team with the most points will go directly to the final round. Week 8 will be a Playoff round between the second and third placed team to decide who will be the other finalist. Week 9 will be the grand finale. Note that this schedule is subject to tiebreakers (explained below)​

Tiebreaker
In the event of two teams being tied for a spot in the finals based on points and win differential, or a tie in the final round itself, we will have a tiebreaker round(s).​

Tiebreaker Rules: The most played meta from usage stats plus one metagame picked by each manager will give a best-of-three game between the tied teams, ultimately deciding who goes onto finals. The three games must be different formats, i.e. the remaining two games cannot be the same as the most played metagame, and must be from the list above. Since Anything Goes is likely to be chosen by usage, the decision to play Bo3 or Bo1 is left upto the players' discretion (here, bo3 will be the default)​

Trades
If teams wish to conduct a trade, both managers (or assistant managers if the manager is not present) MUST PM E4 Flint on the FORUMS to have the trade be official. No trades may occur after the conclusion of week 2.​

Scheduling
Scheduling should be done on VM walls, plain and simple:​
  • If there is no communication on VM walls and a game goes undone, it will be left to the RNG to decide the winner
  • If there is communication on only one user's behalf, the win will go to them. Feel free to call activity in this thread beforehand
  • If there is a very healthy back and forth regarding potential times and one user is a no-show, a manager may take the opportunity to sub out the no-show competitor; if this is not done, the user that showed up responsibly will be awarded the win.
TL;DR: VM your opponents, schedule your matches, and be reliable. If you're not reliable, let your manager know so they can sub you out ASAP.​
Use these VM's to initiate discussion about bo1 or bo3 as well!
Sportsmanship
Exhibitions of unsportsmanlike conduct with regards to Other Metagame Premier League will be met with an infraction at the discretion of the OMPL host/OM mods. This is unlikely to include interactions within a team's private chat unless there is reason found to make an exception. This rule is meant to protect other users from being publicly flamed/bashed/provoked by another competitor for the duration of and following the tournament.​
All players must complete their matches by the given deadline. Any incomplete matches by that time will be subject to activity decision (MAKE SURE YOU POST ON YOUR OPPONENT'S VM WALL); otherwise, they will be decided via !pick publicly in the OM Room. All matches should ideally be done on your most notable alt (the one you registered for OMPL with) to avoid confusion and the replay must be saved and posted in this thread. The replays will be archived in a separate thread, and will be used to calculate usage stats.​

Substitutions & Lineups
Managers, if you wish to make any substitutions, you must post here tagging both the player you're subbing out, the player you're subbing in, the manager and assistant manager of the opposing team, the substitute's opponent, and myself. This is to assure that everyone is in-the-loop and that the OP is updated accordingly to reflect the new match-up.​
Managers, when you send in lineups, please send it in with the tier and Smogon username of each player fully written out for ease of transcription, in exactly the same order as laid out above. I will post instructions about sending the lineup for next week later this week.​

Matchups
The Hotshot Honchkrows
(Jrdn & Snaquaza) - [4][2] - The Buyer Bewears (ScarfWynaut & Uselesscrab)

Bo3 USUM Anything Goes: Holy Break vs PurpleGatorade
USUM Anything Goes: Catalystic vs byronthewellwell (
sub 1)
USUM Balanced Hackmons: MAMP vs Gurpreet Patel (Sent you a Friend Request)
Bo5 USUM 1v1: TheShadowClaw (
sub 1) vs Osra
USUM Mix and Mega: Andyboy vs MultiAmmiratore
USUM Almost Any Ability: Sylveon. vs itsKimbo

The Treasure Town Talonflames (Leru & Megazard) - [3][3] - The Hellborn Heliolisks (drampa's grandpa & OM room)

Bo3 USUM Anything Goes: EternalSnowman vs Fardin
USUM Anything Goes: Highlord vs Freddy Kyogre (
sub 2) (invalid substitution)
USUM Balanced Hackmons: Quantum Tesseract vs shiloh
Bo5 USUM 1v1: Arifeen (
sub 1) vs motogp (sub 1)
USUM Mix and Mega: Eien vs xavgb
USUM Almost Any Ability: Anty vs tzop (
activity)

The Hydrophobic Hydreigons
(Chloe) - [3][3] - The Bedroom Blisseys (The Immortal)

Bo3 USUM Anything Goes: WTF THHE STALLS vs DontStealMyPenguin
USUM Anything Goes: GarbodorIsHot vs Mysterious M
USUM Balanced Hackmons: jasprose vs Willdbeast
Bo5 USUM 1v1: Kentari vs The Dark Alakazam
USUM Mix and Mega: M'joe'ra vs Chazm
USUM Almost Any Ability: aesf vs Hamhamhamham (
sub 1)

The Metro Boomin Mega Rayquazas
(DEG & sedertz) - [4][2] - The Five-Star Jolteons (DBW & Ransei)

Bo3 USUM Anything Goes: HunterStorm vs Paycard
USUM Anything Goes: DonnotheFirst vs The Excadrill
USUM Balanced Hackmons: morogrim vs Disciple_1
Bo5 USUM 1v1: Betathunder vs martha
USUM Mix and Mega: Akashi vs Zesty43
USUM Almost Any Ability: Sabella vs bdov
---
If I made any errors, I apologize in advance and request you to please let me know asap via this thread, VM, PM or through discord!
---
Race for Playoffs: How things stand coming into the final round!
Each team will play one another for seven weeks, after which the team with the most points will go directly to the final round. Week 8 will be a Playoff round between the second and third placed team to decide who will be the other finalist. Week 9 will be the grand finale. Note that this schedule is subject to tiebreakers (explained below)
---
In the event of two teams being tied for a spot in the finals based on points and win differential, or a tie in the final round itself, we will have a tiebreaker round(s).
---
This week's matchups:
The Hotshot Honchkrows
(Jrdn & Snaquaza) - vs - The Buyer Bewears (ScarfWynaut & Uselesscrab)

The Treasure Town Talonflames (Leru & Megazard) - vs - The Hellborn Heliolisks (drampa's grandpa & OM room)

The Hydrophobic Hydreigons
(Chloe) - vs - The Bedroom Blisseys (The Immortal)

The Metro Boomin Mega Rayquazas
(DEG & sedertz) - vs - The Five-Star Jolteons (DBW & Ransei)
playoff_standings_simplified.png

Last edited:

in the hills

spreading confusion
is a Top Artistis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
mnm predicts
Andyboy vs MultiAmmiratore
andy has had a rough few weeks but he’s still one of the hottest mnm players right now, but multi has had two weeks to prep and whether he has done it or not will show in this match, will be a close and fun one to watch

Eien vs xavgb
as much as i want to see stresh win Eien with qts builds is kind of broken. stresh really wants a win though and he’ll do whatever he can to make that happen

M’joe’ra vs Chazm
joe is good without hax and chazm loses to people who get haxed a lot

Akashi vs Zesty43
Zesty has had the hottest mnm run whether people know it or not, his prep is amazing even when hes not playing mnm. jeran will just bring blissey again
and lose

Last edited by a moderator:
AG Predicts:
Holy Break vs PurpleGatorade: HB will thunder full para me into oblivion
Catalystic vs Pigeons: cata has been underperforming this tour and being away for one week won't hurt pigeons too much. A close game for sure.
EternalSnowman vs Fardin: Fardin will win regardless but I better see mega venusaurs on both sides
Highlord vs Ilama- strange game because neither have played much ag recently, going with highlord because ilama seems really rusty
WTF THHE STALLS vs DontStealMyPenguin: DSMP definitely has the skills to finesse a win but Stalls has been too hot this entire tournament. He's established himself as a top 5 AG player in my opinion.
GarbodorisHot vs Mysterious M: Skarph hasn't had the best record but his teams and playing have been really solid. He should have an easier time vs a non-ag main.
Hunterstorm vs Paycard- HL match for sure. Hunter has come back swinging after getting outskilled by Pigeons, Paycard has been solid throughout, but giving a slight edge to Hunter because he always has some teambuilding tricks up his sleeve.
Donnothefirst vs TheExcadrill: Iexca has beaten a lot of mains at their own metagames but Donno in this form with Hunter + thimo to back him up will be too strong

EDIT: ESM vs Fardin just happened, my prediction was wrong, and I did not see a single mega venusaur. Very disappointed.

MAMP

MAMP!
For anyone wondering:

Bewears are guaranteed to finish first. Even a loss this round still leaves them at least 2 points ahead of second place.

Talonflames, Jolteons, and Heliolisks are all completely out of playoff contention.

The four teams spanning from 2nd to 5th are a bit more interesting: the Honchkrows, Blisseys, Hydreigons and Mega Rayquazas are all in contention for the remaining two playoff spots.

On 8 points, both the Honchkrows and Hydreigons are guaranteed to make playoffs with either a win or a draw. If either of them lose, the Blisseys and Mega Rayquazas (both at 6 points) have a chance to take their place.

The Mega Rayquazas are likely to make it in if they win their series and either the Hydreigons or Honchkrows lose, as their Win Differential is very good due to their 6-0 win in week 5; they will almost certainly come out ahead if they tie with anyone on points.

The Blisseys Win Differential is good enough that they are guaranteed to win a tie with the Hydreigons if it comes down to it, but are very unlikely to win a tie with the Mega Rayquazas. To make playoffs, the Blisseys not only need to win their round, but they also need either the Honchkrows or Mega Rayquazas to lose: even then, there is a small chance that they would need to face the Honchkrows in a tiebreaker.

Due to their 6-0 trouncing in round 5, the Hydreigons have a very poor Win Differential. Combined with the fact that they are facing the Blisseys this week, this means that unlike the Honchkrows they basically cannot make it through if they lose this week. The Hydreigons are in an interesting and tenuous position: if they win or draw they are guaranteed to go through, if they lose they are practically guaranteed to go out (the only way that this is not the case is the extremely unlikely scenario where they lose 2-4, Honchkrows lose 0-6, and Mega Rayquazas lose their match: this would result in a tiebreaker between the Honchkrows and Hydreigons).

Another interesting thing to note is that because the Blisseys and Hydreigons are facing off this round, they cannot both make playoffs barring the incredibly unlikely scenario detailed above.

Really glad that this turned out so close and that it's gonna come down to the last round!

MAMP vs. Gurpreet Patel Sent you a Friend Request- I had to coin flip this one, both are strong players who’ve taken down tough opponents. I can’t remember who won last time, but I know that this’ll be a fun one to watch.

Quantum Tesseract vs. Shiloh- The only was Rozes can win this is if the other players on QT’ s team can prep their own teams and Rozes can learn the meta really well/get hax.

Jasprose vs. Willdbeast- Get a sexually active female willdbeast around him and he won’t sleep until he wins... never predict against him. (I’ve made this joke on the SPH server before, sorry)

Morogrim vs. Disciple- Pretty sure Disciple has a horrid track record, Moro’s got this.

Sub predicts:

Pikachuun vs Sugarhigh - Sugarhigh has been a consistent menace through 3 generations or some shit. He also only runs broke mons. Pikachuun idk, it's hard to say cause he never plays, but that means what it does and you don't take out a tried and tested titan by not trying.

Anty vs Gl Volkner - Easy pick, I don't think Anty plays BH (I don't think anyone in qt's team can sub him for bh, I just picked the only user without an anime avatar) and Volkner has been flexing on big bois. Well not really flexing more like played carefully and meticulously to eventually have his wonderfully crafted gameplan take form, but you get what I'm saying.

Halliday vs Highlighter - Probably some of the tougher opponents in the crowd, I have to give it to highlighter for his generally more solid teams and playstyle. A careful approach will make the holes in Halliday's teambuilding obvious and may allow hl to walk with an easy victory. Or Halliday will bring the one busted core that matches up well and beat highlighter to the ground. Either way, I think this battle will be very one-sided, but I put the odds on what I consider to be the stronger player.

aki0s vs motherlove - aki0s has shown surprising versatility with the 1 game he played, so unfortunately bringing a check to registeel + giratina isn't just gonna end the game. We're both chokers and enjoy choking games at the last second so no difference there. I have no idea what to expect but will be an interesting one for sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)