OMPL VIII - Commencement Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ginger Princess

Girl moding so hard rn
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Art by LifeisDANK

We are pleased to announce the creation of a new section of Smogon Metagames called Unofficial Metagames!

What are Unofficial Metagames?

Unofficial Metagames are simply any metagame which is not an Official Smogon Metagame. More specifically, in order to be considered a UM and not an OM, the metagame needs to be cartridge legal. If it cannot be played on a cartridge without hacking, then it is an OM. Previously, these metagames were housed in the OM forum. However, we feel that splitting off UMs from OMs will benefit both forums & the various communities contained within. This new section will be co-lead by myself and The Immortal.

Which metagames are considered UMs?

Right now, the major UMs are Anything Goes, ZeroUsed, 1v1, and LGPE OU. All four of these metagames will be getting their own subforum of UM, in order to allow those metagames the opportunity to grow. This also comes with the benefit of a clear path to official status, like how Monotype went from OM -> Smogon Metagames. There are also a few smaller, somewhat inactive metagames that qualify as UMs that will be moved from OM as well (think Middle Cup, Mediocremons, etc).

The leaders of those metagames will also be moderators of the new UM forum. Those leaders are as follows:

Anything Goes - Megazard and Pigeons
ZeroUsed - 5gen and Xayah
1v1 - Quote
LGPE OU - Ezaphs

Since people are going to ask: yes, these metagames will be running suspect tests if necessary. We will announce how they will interact with TC once that decision has been made.

What is happening to OMs?

Short answer: nothing. The metagames listed above will be moving under the UM umbrella; anything else will remain in OM. There are 2 minor points though that should be said. First, the 2019 OM circuit will not change. AG and ZU will remain a part of the OM circuit and compete for that ribbon. This is because this split is happening too late to change the OM circuit & create a new circuit for UM. We will be aiming for a 2020 ribbon circuit for UM. Second, since this is near the end of this generation, there will be no changes to OM C&C. UMs will stay under OM C&C until gen 8, where changes may be made. This is to prevent strain on QC and GP resources. As for LGPE OU analyses: that's still on the table. It's being worked on and we'll have more to say about that hopefully soon.

We hope everyone will enjoy the new forums and section to enjoy!
why do you have to remind me of what was taken from us

xavgb

:xavgb:
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
This post will contain images but not haha funny images that the kids like to call memes. This is just me as a contributor here being very confused about the last week.

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/other-metagames-is-whole-again.3656790/

"1v1 will function as an independent OM, similar to how it was under UM. Independent OMs have their own subforum, moderation team, and tournament circuit. Minor UMs that were left without any opportunities are once again open to OM projects such as OM of the Month and larger tournaments."

So this happened at the start of the gen, as we can see 1v1 is named as an independent OM okay this all makes sense, AG moving to natdex yeah that's cool w/e, no mention of AG being independent but we do hear that the minor UMs will still be omotm voting.

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/om-of-the-month-april-voting-stage.3661727/

Oh i see Galar AG is right there in the OMOTM voting just as the minor UMs are allowed to be. Guess that means they're also eligible for PL if they're a good fit.

1585710947573.png

Oh my bad, guess ag is independent. I asked for clarification on this in a private channel and this has nothing to do with the Natdex situation, apparently ag was going to be independent regardless.

1585711223626.png

1585711250141.png

...except not even the TL knows of TI's plans for the metagame despite asking about them.

This is all relevant because a few days ago when TI so kindly allowed the managers to vote for the last slot in this PL, he explicitly vetoed Galar AG on the basis that it's independent. Why?

I brought this up in further discussion in the managers channel, and within about ten seconds i had the full agreement of half the managers (including myself) saying they would have voted for Galar AG if they were allowed to but it was too late to do anything about it now.

I know we have a lot of people here for the ride right now but I promise the community itself is quite nice outside of situations like this where everyone wants to post a meme at the same time, and while I am definitely pissed at the last week or so I'll be sticking around because I like the metas and most of the community around them. The reason I'm here with this post is because while TI was busy fanning the flames in the OM discord people seem to have forgotten the inconsistency and lack of transparency that we keep getting for no apparent reason.

Btw this also happened for some reason

1585712216998.png

I'm trying my hardest here but I was concerned about the tour not being calibrated to fit the size of the playerbase in Gen 8 compared to Gen 7. Since people were adamant on keeping 8 teams and 6 formats I tried my best to make sure the 6th format would be something that would bring people in, instead of taking away from other OM playerbases and weakening the strength of those slots. I'll try my best to salvage this in the draft but frankly I'm very invested and already feel like this is going to be a struggle, so when we get TI playing his own chess game of how to get what he wants for this tour while also being a manager, I start to get a bit peeved.

Regardless I hope a great tour rises from the ashes somehow, because in all honesty we're at risk of killing it before it's even started.

This post will contain images but not haha funny images that the kids like to call memes. This is just me as a contributor here being very confused about the last week.

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/other-metagames-is-whole-again.3656790/

"1v1 will function as an independent OM, similar to how it was under UM. Independent OMs have their own subforum, moderation team, and tournament circuit. Minor UMs that were left without any opportunities are once again open to OM projects such as OM of the Month and larger tournaments."

So this happened at the start of the gen, as we can see 1v1 is named as an independent OM okay this all makes sense, AG moving to natdex yeah that's cool w/e, no mention of AG being independent but we do hear that the minor UMs will still be omotm voting.

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/om-of-the-month-april-voting-stage.3661727/

Oh i see Galar AG is right there in the OMOTM voting just as the minor UMs are allowed to be. Guess that means they're also eligible for PL if they're a good fit.

View attachment 232817

Oh my bad, guess ag is independent. I asked for clarification on this in a private channel and this has nothing to do with the Natdex situation, apparently ag was going to be independent regardless.

View attachment 232824

View attachment 232826

...except not even the TL knows of TI's plans for the metagame despite asking about them.

This is all relevant because a few days ago when TI so kindly allowed the managers to vote for the last slot in this PL, he explicitly vetoed Galar AG on the basis that it's independent. Why?

I brought this up in further discussion in the managers channel, and within about ten seconds i had the full agreement of half the managers (including myself) saying they would have voted for Galar AG if they were allowed to but it was too late to do anything about it now.

I know we have a lot of people here for the ride right now but I promise the community itself is quite nice outside of situations like this where everyone wants to post a meme at the same time, and while I am definitely pissed at the last week or so I'll be sticking around because I like the metas and most of the community around them. The reason I'm here with this post is because while TI was busy fanning the flames in the OM discord people seem to have forgotten the inconsistency and lack of transparency that we keep getting for no apparent reason.

Btw this also happened for some reason

View attachment 232852

I'm trying my hardest here but I was concerned about the tour not being calibrated to fit the size of the playerbase in Gen 8 compared to Gen 7. Since people were adamant on keeping 8 teams and 6 formats I tried my best to make sure the 6th format would be something that would bring people in, instead of taking away from other OM playerbases and weakening the strength of those slots. I'll try my best to salvage this in the draft but frankly I'm very invested and already feel like this is going to be a struggle, so when we get TI playing his own chess game of how to get what he wants for this tour while also being a manager, I start to get a bit peeved.

Regardless I hope a great tour rises from the ashes somehow, because in all honesty we're at risk of killing it before it's even started.
That's it, you're out. Chloe can have your spot.

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
Art by LifeisDANK

We are pleased to announce the creation of a new section of Smogon Metagames called Unofficial Metagames!

What are Unofficial Metagames?

Unofficial Metagames are simply any metagame which is not an Official Smogon Metagame. More specifically, in order to be considered a UM and not an OM, the metagame needs to be cartridge legal. If it cannot be played on a cartridge without hacking, then it is an OM. Previously, these metagames were housed in the OM forum. However, we feel that splitting off UMs from OMs will benefit both forums & the various communities contained within. This new section will be co-lead by myself and The Immortal.

Which metagames are considered UMs?

Right now, the major UMs are Anything Goes, ZeroUsed, 1v1, and LGPE OU. All four of these metagames will be getting their own subforum of UM, in order to allow those metagames the opportunity to grow. This also comes with the benefit of a clear path to official status, like how Monotype went from OM -> Smogon Metagames. There are also a few smaller, somewhat inactive metagames that qualify as UMs that will be moved from OM as well (think Middle Cup, Mediocremons, etc).

The leaders of those metagames will also be moderators of the new UM forum. Those leaders are as follows:

Anything Goes - Megazard and Pigeons
ZeroUsed - 5gen and Xayah
1v1 - Quote
LGPE OU - Ezaphs

Since people are going to ask: yes, these metagames will be running suspect tests if necessary. We will announce how they will interact with TC once that decision has been made.

What is happening to OMs?

Short answer: nothing. The metagames listed above will be moving under the UM umbrella; anything else will remain in OM. There are 2 minor points though that should be said. First, the 2019 OM circuit will not change. AG and ZU will remain a part of the OM circuit and compete for that ribbon. This is because this split is happening too late to change the OM circuit & create a new circuit for UM. We will be aiming for a 2020 ribbon circuit for UM. Second, since this is near the end of this generation, there will be no changes to OM C&C. UMs will stay under OM C&C until gen 8, where changes may be made. This is to prevent strain on QC and GP resources. As for LGPE OU analyses: that's still on the table. It's being worked on and we'll have more to say about that hopefully soon.

We hope everyone will enjoy the new forums and section to enjoy!
about time GIF

Retweet if you cried when TI said UMs didn't have an identity at the start of gen8

Ginger Princess

Girl moding so hard rn
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
forgive me.jpg
ATTENTION, ALL OMPL PLAYERS! Chloe needs YOUR help to get back into a manager spot in OMPL 8! To help her, she's gonna need your credit card number, and the three digits on the back. But hurry - TI is spying on the IRC chats and will take her badges away any second now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)