[Online Competition] 3v3 Little Cup (check OP for the giveaway thread)

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Finished my 23-6 run at 1735, 126th overall which is pretty solid. 10th in the US is actually better than I had expected though. I could have possibly made it to top 5 US if I bothered to finish my battles (and not tilt!) but top 10 in the US is good enough for me.

I'd say the top 12 Pokemon accurately represents the 12 I saw the most in my battles, not necessarily in that order though. With the exception of Murkrow which I saw maybe 1 of, at most. Meditite and Fletchling also weren't as common as I'd thought they'd be, but that's just my personal expectation.

I ranked 47th in the US. My highest ranking ever. I am disappointed in the overall record, but it is an improvement so I won't complain too much.

Jhon Apparently there were more ppl above 1800 and past mid 1800s than I anticipated... what kinda competition was this (or was it the players xP)?!?!
But grats on the global ranked 1 that is outstanding!
Gotta look more into the data of the previous competitions more thoroughly and see why the discrepancy in average top 10 points.

edit: I'm not looking. im tired xP
Antar FTW

Last edited:
LC Masters Division 7,509 participants - Top 31 at or above 1800

International Challenge April - 6,293 participants - Top 2 at or above 1800

Enter the Dragon Type - 24,606 participants - Top 10 at or above 1800

International Challenge February - 13,025 participants - Top 1 at or above 1800

The thing I noticed the most with this LC format, people did not really know what to do when their big guns failed. Out of the Top 12 in the usage ranking I used 2, Onix and Sneasel. The number of forfeits I had was high. Once I took out Scyther or Sneasel people just gave up. I am honestly shocked that I did not see a Vulpix/Tangela combo in the entire challenge. I saw Tangela or Vulpix and Vulpix had Flash Fire on the bulk of the teams I saw it on.

I also know that Brick Break was 5th on the move list for Sneasel. Fake Out was not on my move-set. I used my Sneasel as a Sneasel counter. I had so many opponents use Fake Out on my Sneasel only to have me OHKO with Brick Break because of Inner Focus.

rcade216, so these ratings actually mean something concrete: you can take two ratings, compute the difference, and from there calculate the odds of each player winning in a match.

Here's an online calculator: http://bzstats.strayer.de/bzinfo/elo/?lang=en

So a player with 1800 rating has an 85% chance of beating a player with a rating of 1500. What this basically means is that the more players with high rankings, the more player skill (be in in teambuilding or actual playing ability) determines the outcomes of matches, as opposed to hax and random chance.

I would have expected such a fast-paced metagame like LC-PGL to be *less* skill-centric, especially with all the speed ties, but what it shows, I think, is that this was a competition where matches were won or lost in the teambuilding.

I understand the numbers, I'm just saying in the battles I had the bulk of them did not seem to know what to do once their big gun was taken out.

I had 10 forfeits out of just 28 wins.

As well as the number of Fake Outs attempted against my Sneasel was too damn high.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sorry to bring this up from the depths but the PGL has added battles videos for the top three finishers. I haven't had time to sit down and watch them (so no summary from me this time) but thought I'd post them here anyway.

First we have Jhon (1st) vs Tigerpinpin (69th). Another congrats to Jhon for topping the global rankings for this!

AO (2nd) vs Matthew (32nd)

konatan (コナタン) (3rd) vs Shelby (12th)

I was extremely disappointed by Gamefreak's choice of the "best battles" of the competition, since #2 was lost thanks to a 2-hit Rock Blast and the third was decided on a speed tie--not to say hax wasn't a major, major part of this competition, but there were plenty of matches that I've seen (Hell, that I had) that were won or lost based on strategy and excellent predictions.

Edit: oh, and for those interested in how I did (it wasn't great), here's a playlist of all my matches.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I was extremely disappointed by Gamefreak's choice of the "best battles" of the competition, since #2 was lost thanks to a 2-hit Rock Blast and the third was decided on a speed tie--not to say hax wasn't a major, major part of this competition, but there were plenty of matches that I've seen (Hell, that I had) that were won or lost based on strategy and excellent predictions.

Edit: oh, and for those interested in how I did (it wasn't great), here's a playlist of all my matches.
I'm gonna sit down to watch the rest of those later but parts one and two were really cool. I hope the guest narrator comes back! Interesting team too, Bright Powder Parahax Murkrow is brilliant. I hope you take part in, and film more Battle Spot comps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)