Sticky Orange Islands SQSA Thread

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
View attachment 387727

What's the deal with this Chewtle? Apparently Team Rocket has some gacha gimmick in the show, and this Chewtle is part of the long list Bulbapedia has of Pokemon they've gotten from this machine, but it seems way more significant than any of the other Pokemon listed, by virtue of it seemingly being the only recurring Pokemon they've gotten from the thing, and it also sounds like it didn't even come from the machine.
As the description says, the Rocket Trio first encountered this Chewtle as a wild Pokemon in JN013 "The Climb to Be the Very Best!". Long story short, it and the episode before it had a rampaging Gigantamax Drednaw in Wyndon Stadium that Ash & Goh had to battle (Pikachu also suddenly Gigantamaxing). With helpful advice from Leon, they're able to defeat the Drednaw and send it flying (that's the last we saw of the Drednaw). The Rocket Trio, Seeing how strong the Drednaw was, decided to go capture it. After a scene where Ash learns about the World Coronation Series and decides to join it (as well as Leon meeting up with Ash to accept an earlier battle request; obviously Ash loses the battle but Leon was still impressed so let's him keep the Dynamax Band he lent to him for the battle and says he'll be expecting Ash to make a top spot in the World Coronation Series), we come back to the Rocket Trio to see they've been searching all night for the Drednaw but no results. Suddenly they noticed this Chewtle hanging off Jessie's hair and, learning it evolves into Drednaw, catch it and declare their mission a success.

Note a gimmick with the Rocket Trio this gen is that, instead of having a set party of Pokemon (only "set" Pokemon is Meowth, Wobbuffet, Pelipper, and sort this Chewtle), when a battle starts a Pelipper owned by Team Rocket (hey, what happened to Delibird?) delivers them the "Rocket Prize Master". It's essentially a vending machine filled with Team Rocket branded Poke Balls, a new secret weapon overseen by Giovanni to provide agents with powerful Pokemon while on the field (though they don't know what Pokemon they're getting when they use it, but each ball has a piece of paper that tells them about the Pokemon inside; not so sure about the random factor there Giovanni), and he gives the Rocket Trio early access to it in JN003 "Ivysaur's Mysterious Tower!". It's pretty much another way for the writers to include more Pokemon in this season as well as provide some more interesting battles with the Rocket Trio.

Anyway, during a battle with Ash & Goh in JN017 "Kicking It from Here Into Tomorrow!", Jessie's Rocket Prize Master Pokemon is Chewtle which the Rocket Trio recognize as the Chewtle they had caught a few episodes ago. Though they sent it to Rocket HQ & Giovanni, it looked to have been decided to add it to the Rocket Prize Master. It battled well but was eventually defeated and blasted off with the Rocket Trio.

Skipping the cameo episode, it's next major (and most recent) appearance was JN058. This episode is split into two (another new thing in this gen), Chewtle isn't in the first part "A Rollicking Roll..." but it's in the second part titled "Eyes on the Goal". In the second part it frees itself from its Poke Ball after Meowth and Wobbuffet accidentally vend its Poke Ball from the Rocket Prize Master and it goes for a walk where it encounters a Turtwig and they form a rivalry and race one another. It's a simply funny episode to just feature all the turtle Pokemon, at the end the other turtle Pokemon return to their trainer the Turtle Sage leaving Chewtle the only one left in the race thus winning, bragging its victory to Meowth & Wobbuffet. Presumably they went back to the base and Chewtle returned into its Poke Ball and put back into the Rocket Prize Master.

So, yeah, nothing really that special about it. It's just one of the recurring Pokemon which each gen has a few of, except its not wild but rather with the Rocket Trio for occasionally appearances likely for a gag. I imagine in the future they'll evolve it to a Drednaw and either discover it can Gigantamax or it can't, and if it can't likely learn there's a way to make it Gigantamax so could be a way to incorporate the Isle of Armor.

So, the Global Link artwork

you know, stuff like this.

Obviously it's not just "Global Link" (the service has been closed for a while), being used for various things like Pokemon Center merchandise or whatever.
But where does the new artwork come from? Like all the gen 8 pokemon have it even if they're not currently used in merch or SWSH online battle banners. And bulbapedia's got them all archived so seeing them isn't a problem. But, like, where is it used and stored? Is there some other site I'm forgetting about?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
So, the Global Link artwork

you know, stuff like this.

Obviously it's not just "Global Link" (the service has been closed for a while), being used for various things like Pokemon Center merchandise or whatever.
But where does the new artwork come from? Like all the gen 8 pokemon have it even if they're not currently used in merch or SWSH online battle banners. And bulbapedia's got them all archived so seeing them isn't a problem. But, like, where is it used and stored? Is there some other site I'm forgetting about?
If I recall, often times its found in source code of webpages.

In Ruby (as in, the OG GBA version), I’m having trouble deciding between two Pokémon for entering Smart Contests. Specifically, I’ve got a Lv. 18 Spoink and a Lv. 19 Cacnea, both are Sassy nature, and while I will train them if I need to, I don’t want to have to raise their levels too high (e.g. I’m thinking they’ll be late 30s max for the Master Contest... which I may put off until at least before Victory Road). With this in mind, which one would be better for Contests?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
In Ruby (as in, the OG GBA version), I’m having trouble deciding between two Pokémon for entering Smart Contests. Specifically, I’ve got a Lv. 18 Spoink and a Lv. 19 Cacnea, both are Sassy nature, and while I will train them if I need to, I don’t want to have to raise their levels too high (e.g. I’m thinking they’ll be late 30s max for the Master Contest... which I may put off until at least before Victory Road). With this in mind, which one would be better for Contests?
Judging by what Moves they get, if you want to go for points Spoink gets the most which earn the most (though little in ways of preventing others from getting points). If you want to try and be strategic by blocking your opponent from getting points, Cacnea offers more options there (though these moves aren't as big scorers as the ones Spoink get).

Not sure if you'll like this suggestion, but maybe before dedicating training one of them try them both out. Looks through their moves, decide which ones you want to use with them, and try them both and see which style fits you. Then train that one.

Matleo

Banned deucer.
Probably not

This is wishlisting which is banned in OI and is v much not a simple question which is the purpose of this thread within OI
But People complaine about overuse of healing or not?
Other question: best healing pokemon?
Best draining pokemon? Best anti drain? Best anti-target heal pokemon and strategies? In all gens.

Did anything interesting happen between v1.0.0 and v1.0.1 of Legends? I'm obtaining a physical copy tomorrow and debating whether to keep it on 1.0.0 or update, but I've been avoiding spoilers since the release so I haven't looked at the discussion thread or any dataminer's posts. (e.g. Were any interesting glitches fixed?) All I know is that a v1.0.1 exists and that the official patch notes say basically nothing.

Did anything interesting happen between v1.0.0 and v1.0.1 of Legends? I'm obtaining a physical copy tomorrow and debating whether to keep it on 1.0.0 or update, but I've been avoiding spoilers since the release so I haven't looked at the discussion thread or any dataminer's posts. (e.g. Were any interesting glitches fixed?) All I know is that a v1.0.1 exists and that the official patch notes say basically nothing.
according to serebii they updated some text. I presume fixed some typos or unclear wording. That's about it.

The anime has a theme that plays quite often during League and other tournament moments. I've linked it in this wideo as it begins at 0:18 seconds in but I have no idea what the theme is called. Does anyone know if it has a searchable title or whether it was ever released (as most of the other tracks from OS were)?

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
Small question in relation to the new pokemon additions in Legends (which I will not name).

How are we aware of those pokemon's abilities if there are none in Pokemon Legends? They appear to be displayed on showdown as well as on bulbapedia.

Small question in relation to the new pokemon additions in Legends (which I will not name).

How are we aware of those pokemon's abilities if there are none in Pokemon Legends? They appear to be displayed on showdown as well as on bulbapedia.
While they go unused, in the game's code each Pokemon still has a list of abilities. Let's Go did the same thing, where we knew Meltan and Melmetal had Magnet Pull and Iron Fist before they were available in a traditional game. Presumably this is to facilitate transfers between games, as it keeps the data structure of a given Pokemon consistent.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!

The anime has a theme that plays quite often during League and other tournament moments. I've linked it in this wideo as it begins at 0:18 seconds in but I have no idea what the theme is called. Does anyone know if it has a searchable title or whether it was ever released (as most of the other tracks from OS were)?
Hmm, does anyone have access to the original Japanese version of this scene? Is it the same music playing or something different? It doesn't seem to be on the officially released anime soundtrack, making me wonder if maybe its an original English piece whenever the original Japanese music couldn't be saved/used. Otherwise seems to be a lost music piece.

It's almost certain an english original. 4Kids replaced like 90% of the soundtrack (an filled the silence as well) with their own and I do not believe they ever relased a soundtrack of their tunes.

It's almost certain an english original. 4Kids replaced like 90% of the soundtrack (an filled the silence as well) with their own and I do not believe they ever relased a soundtrack of their tunes.
I get that sentiment, but on the other hand Season 2 of the anime (basically from the end of Ash's badge quest to Charizard Chills in the orange islands) very noticeably uses music that is undoubtedly of Japanese origin. (As an aside, one of my favourite aspects of the Kingler 3-0 league battle is that they retain the use of music from the Japanese version of the first movie* including 'Taiketsu! Honmono tai Copy Pokemon' (vs Exeggutor); 'Flying in Chaos Monster Balls' (vs Seadra) and 'Real and Copy! Which are the Strongest?' (vs Golbat)).

*do I sense a 'Little Things You Like About Pokemon' post coming up...?

For games where catching Pokémon gives you experience, does it also give Pokémon the EVs from the Pokémon you caught?

For games where catching Pokémon gives you experience, does it also give Pokémon the EVs from the Pokémon you caught?
From what I remind, the act of "catching" still counts as defeating the pokemon, so yes, they will gain EV on top of the experience.
(This also applies to your party if there's a exp share feature)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)