Sticky Orange Islands SQSA Thread

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
What time can we expect all these announcements this week? I'm assuming early afternoon Japan time but I've not seen anyone state it definitively.

QuentinQuonce

Around 1 AM EST. We knew about the SWSH raid dens early because of when they have to update the wild area events
Wait, so that was the big SwSh announcement? Fuck, how utterly tedious. I wasn't expecting a third DLC but I didn't think it'd be that.

Wait, so that was the big SwSh announcement? Fuck, how utterly tedious. I wasn't expecting a third DLC but I didn't think it'd be that.
The past 3 years have all been raid events iirc so it was really just a question of what flavor of raid they were going to do. G-Max starters might be more boring than Zeraora raids but it still tracks for Pokemon day.

I've been confused for the past few years and I want to get things cleared up. How does the "disobey" mechanic work in each game? For the longest time I believed that, if you train your Pokemon above the level allowed by the most recently beat gym leader, your Pokemon will disobey you. In some games I believe it did work exactly like that. But here I am playing Sw/Sh, training my Drednaw to level 40 before even beating the second gym and it's still not disobeying. The second gym is supposed to allow me to have Pokemon of level 30 and higher, so why am I not disobeying? I'm very sure that in a few other games I also did train my Pokemon higher than the "obey" cap, but they'd still obey. Why does this feel so inconsistent? Is this different for each generation?

I've been confused for the past few years and I want to get things cleared up. How does the "disobey" mechanic work in each game? For the longest time I believed that, if you train your Pokemon above the level allowed by the most recently beat gym leader, your Pokemon will disobey you. In some games I believe it did work exactly like that. But here I am playing Sw/Sh, training my Drednaw to level 40 before even beating the second gym and it's still not disobeying. The second gym is supposed to allow me to have Pokemon of level 30 and higher, so why am I not disobeying? I'm very sure that in a few other games I also did train my Pokemon higher than the "obey" cap, but they'd still obey. Why does this feel so inconsistent? Is this different for each generation?
with the very specific exception of Legends Arceus, the disoeby mechanic only applies to traded pokemon.

The purpose of the disobedience mechanic is supposed to be to discourage players from trading in an obscenely powerful Pokemon to crush the entire game. If you want to put in the time and effort to raise your own Pokemon to a super-high level, that's totally legitimate (and may in fact be the only way for some Pokemon to be able to win certain battles).

For what's worth it, even one of the speedrun categories for SwSh rushes to the isle of armor, grabs a lvl 67 pokemon (potentially Suicune if particularly bad raid mons spawn) and facerolls the entire game with no issue.

As R_N said, with the notable exception of Legends Arceus, only traded pokemon are affected by disobedience. Any pokemon with your O.T. will obey you no matter the level.
(This also works if you trade them btw. You can tecnically trade a pokemon with your OT to someone, they level it to 100 and give it back, it would still obey you as the pokemon still has your OT so counts as yours. Other than that, it freely lets you have friends evolve trade-only evos for you without risking disobedience)

I have kinda weird question: how to calculate probability of getting a shiny after certain number of encounters? Yes, I know about gamblers fallacy and I know that vanilla odds for every encounter in modern games are something over 4000.
But let me put it this way: let´s say you roll a die. The probability that you get for example 3 is 1/6. But if you throw the die like 12 times, the probability that one of those throws gets you a 3 is much higer. So, how do you calculate the odds?

And yes, I am shiny hunting Arceus right now and after more than a week of soft reseting basically at every free moment I am getting slightly crazy.

I have kinda weird question: how to calculate probability of getting a shiny after certain number of encounters? Yes, I know about gamblers fallacy and I know that vanilla odds for every encounter in modern games are something over 4000.
But let me put it this way: let´s say you roll a die. The probability that you get for example 3 is 1/6. But if you throw the die like 12 times, the probability that one of those throws gets you a 3 is much higer. So, how do you calculate the odds?

And yes, I am shiny hunting Arceus right now and after more than a week of soft reseting basically at every free moment I am getting slightly crazy.
The probability of at least one shiny after a specific number of encounters is 1 minus the probability of every encounter not being shiny. So, for example, 500 encounters at 1/4096 odds gives 1-(4095/4096)^500, or about 11.5%.

The probability of at least one shiny after a specific number of encounters is 1 minus the probability of every encounter not being shiny. So, for example, 500 encounters at 1/4096 odds gives 1-(4095/4096)^500, or about 11.5%.
Thank you very much for quick anwer.

QuentinQuonce

In GSCHGSS, when you're given the bike, what determines when the owner rings you to let you keep it? I'd assumed it'd be that you have to take a set number of steps while on the bike, but I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere.

In GSCHGSS, when you're given the bike, what determines when the owner rings you to let you keep it? I'd assumed it'd be that you have to take a set number of steps while on the bike, but I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere.
1024 steps (GSC).

HGSS: I found this random clip from werster where he mentions an "internal count from 10" that apparently both Elm and the bike shop use but I'm not sure of the specific details. https://www.twitch.tv/werster/clip/RichSilkySkunkPogChamp
It's not about bike steps though because he infamously lost a battle frontier run because of the bike shop call. https://twitch.tv/werster/clip/SuaveDirtyOpossumCharlieBitMe (volume warning)

Last edited:

QuentinQuonce

1024 steps (GSC).

HGSS: I found this random clip from werster where he mentions an "internal count from 10" that apparently both Elm and the bike shop use but I'm not sure of the specific details. https://www.twitch.tv/werster/clip/RichSilkySkunkPogChamp
It's not about bike steps though because he infamously lost a battle frontier run because of the bike shop call. https://twitch.tv/werster/clip/SuaveDirtyOpossumCharlieBitMe (volume warning)
Fab, thanks! Figures it'd be a bit more complex in HGSS.

Aaronboyer

Something Worth Fighting For
is a Contributor to Smogon
Has anyone TAS’d Pokémon Rangers Guardian Signs Past Missions to see if S Ranking “At Last, Arceus and the Light” is possible solo? (The benefit would be using the Celebi sign in the present to transfer an Arceus or Mew to the main game)

QuentinQuonce

In GS, is the Silver fight at the Burned Tower skippable? In Crystal the Burned Tower is part of the plot but afaik it's not a required visit in GS. Edit: nvm, just read that it is.

Last edited:
I am resetting for a Palkia in HG and SS simultaniously and I noticed several times I get very often both Palkia with the same nature and often similar Personality traits. Is there a reason for that? I am starting to think that can't be coincidence, that is how often that happened. I have been softresetting for 3 days already

I am resetting for a Palkia in HG and SS simultaniously and I noticed several times I get very often both Palkia with the same nature and often similar Personality traits. Is there a reason for that? I am starting to think that can't be coincidence, that is how often that happened. I have been softresetting for 3 days already
If I remember correctly, the DS RNG is based on time from startup. If you're taking the same time to get an encounter each time (not that unreasonable given you've been practicing for 3 days), you might be getting the same or similar seeds. Try waiting a second or two after resetting and see if that helps.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I sold the Heavy-Duty Boots you can find in Shield because my bag had way too much stuff in it and I thought I wouldn't need them in game because I wouldn't be doing 6v6 Singles on my game. Now I want a pair for a Shedinaja and don't know how to get one without trading, which isn't an option without a Nintendo Online subscription, or restarting, which isn't happening.

Is there a way to get another pair of Heavy-Duty Boots or am I screwed?

I sold the Heavy-Duty Boots you can find in Shield because my bag had way too much stuff in it and I thought I wouldn't need them in game because I wouldn't be doing 6v6 Singles on my game. Now I want a pair for a Shedinaja and don't know how to get one without trading, which isn't an option without a Nintendo Online subscription, or restarting, which isn't happening.

Is there a way to get another pair of Heavy-Duty Boots or am I screwed?
Was going to say check out Anubis's giveaway but if you don't have NSO then that's not an option. In game though there are two locations for Heavy Duty Boots as per Serebii; Galar Mine and the Tunnel to the Top in the Crown Tundra DLC.

Is there a list/article for Pokemon that can only be obtained by transferring from GO? Off the top of my head I know of:
  • Meltan
  • non-Japanese Shiny Mew
  • a bunch of Pokemon at level 1 or low levels
  • (trivially, anything with the Go origin mark)
but I'm pretty sure I've missed some.

freezai

Live for the Applause
is a Tiering Contributor
im not sure if this is the right place to ask, but i wanted to know what some of the rarest moves in pokemon are
i know about the new york pokemon center stuff in the early 2000s that had rapid spin geodude and the like
are there any other ancient event only moves or major events from back in the day

im not sure if this is the right place to ask, but i wanted to know what some of the rarest moves in pokemon are
i know about the new york pokemon center stuff in the early 2000s that had rapid spin geodude and the like
are there any other ancient event only moves or major events from back in the day
Off the top of my head, there were a few mons that got Petal Dance as an event move sometime in Gen 2.

Edit: Psyduck, Chikorita, Pichu, Cleffa, Igglybuff and Smoochum

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)