Sticky Orange Islands SQSA Thread

How many pixels does the health bar in sword & shield have? I know it isn't 48 because all the vgc games for sword and shield have an /100 denominator. Bulbapedia doesn't seem to have an answer, and I can't find anything on it very easily.
Just tested using GIMP and a 1080p screenshot from Serebii + a 720p screenshot (handheld mode) from my own game.

At 1080p, the health bar is 400 pixels long.
At 720p (exactly 2/3 of 1080p per dimension), it is unfortunately downscaled with compression artifacts to 266 pixels long (plus the compression artifacts). 400 is not a multiple of 3.

I have not tested if the game actually uses all 400 pixels. If you send out a Pokemon with exactly 399/400 HP remaining, does it show up with exactly 1 pixel missing (in docked mode) or does it show something else? If Showdown uses /100 that would imply the game deliberately rounds to the nearest multiple of 4 pixels.

EDIT: Just tested because I coincidentally found an HD screenshot on Serebii with exactly 15/22 HP left.
  • If the game uses percentages, this should turn into ~68.2/100 -> 68/100 -> 272 pixels.
  • If the game uses 48ths, this should turn into ~32.7/48 -> 32/48 -> 266 or 267 pixels depending on compression artifacts (or 275 if not rounding down).
  • If the game uses all 400 pixels, this should turn into ~272.7/400 -> 273/400 -> 273 pixels.
The screenshot had 273 pixels. The game does actually use all 400 pixels, which could theoretically be competitively relevant information.

EDIT #2: Wanted to do a stronger test to ensure there was no pixel gradient like LA. SwSh's HP bar animations last 30 frames for an OHKO and most other hits. This video conveniently has footage of Lv100 Dynamax Blissey going from 1428/1428 HP down to 1395/1428, which is a change of more than 30 HP. However, the animation only lasts 9 frames. 1395/1428 HP is 391/400 pixels, so this confirms that there is no internal HP bar with a different number of pixels (contrast BDSP and LA) and that SwSh really does use 400 pixels.

Last edited:
What would happen if you were to play Pokemon go in space? Would it put you somewhere random on earth or nowhere on any map at all?
All this is from a cursory search on the Internet, so take my words with a grain of salt, but since Pokemon Go determines location based on IP address, and IP address is determined by your Internet Service Provider, it'd depend on what Wifi (on Earth) you're connected to, if you can even connect to one.

King Ezra The Wise

I COULD BE BANNED!
I recently got Pokémon Gold for gameboy I assume I have a modded copy of Pokémon Gold because it’s not working on Pokémon Stadium 2 but I know I can connect to one other game the only other gen 2 game I have it may be a rom hack but it’s my only way of completing my National Pokédex and my Johto Pokédex on Gold the game I’m talking about is Crystal Clear however I have one problem I can’t trade until I get another gameboy it can be a gameboy advanced or even a gameboy color you have to accept this Crystal Clear is my only chance to get the Stuff that’s Not in Pokémon Gold credit goes to Game Freak, and Shockslayer

I don’t have any other choice at the moment for Silver, Red, Blue or Yellow Exclusives

Although I do have blue and Yellow I much prefer trading on Crystal Clear

Attachments

King Ezra The Wise

I COULD BE BANNED!
I have a shiny Chimchar named Abu It’s a Mild Shiny Iron Fist Chimchar that likes to take naps and it knows Fire Punch and Power Up Punch Abu keeps misbehaving what gives it has my trainer Id and ign which I named after my daughter what gives

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I have a shiny Chimchar named Abu It’s a Mild Shiny Iron Fist Chimchar that likes to take naps and it knows Fire Punch and Power Up Punch Abu keeps misbehaving what gives it has my trainer Id and ign which I named after my daughter what gives
This should be in the Simple Questions and Simple Answers thread, pinned at the top of the subforum.

But anyway, Abu is misbehaving because it has been received via trade and is now too high a level for the number of badges you have! It will listen to you again once you acquire enough badges. :sphearical:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I’m playing gold was it a good idea to take my sitrus Berry off of Machop
Does it say it's a "Sitrus Berry"? Because those didn't exist in Gen II. Now, the Machop trade does have it holding a Gold Berry in Gen II which is heals the holder 30 HP when it's HP falls below half it's max HP. But if your game says it was holding a Sitrus Berry sounds like you have a modded game. FYI, in HGSS the Machop is now holding a Macho Brace.

Anyway, to answer your question, it's really what you wanted to do with the Gold Berry. The purpose of the Machop is to be used against Whitney, so they had it holding a Gold Berry to help keep it going if it were to get below half HP against her for whatever reason. However if you're not worried about Whitney that Machop wouldn't need to heal, then you can take the Gold Berry and save it for a later battle to give to a Pokemon you want to keep in the battle for just a bit longer (or however much longer healing 30 HP will take them).

Though if you end up having problems with Whitney because the Machop keeps fainting and you don't have any other Pokemon that can take it on reliably, maybe do give it back the Gold Berry to see hw it does (though remember to save your game before battling her, if a Pokemon consumes an item but loses a battle the item still remains consumed).

I recently got Pokémon Gold for gameboy I assume I have a modded copy of Pokémon Gold because it’s not working on Pokémon Stadium 2 but I know I can connect to one other game the only other gen 2 game I have it may be a rom hack but it’s my only way of completing my National Pokédex and my Johto Pokédex on Gold the game I’m talking about is Crystal Clear however I have one problem I can’t trade until I get another gameboy it can be a gameboy advanced or even a gameboy color you have to accept this Crystal Clear is my only chance to get the Stuff that’s Not in Pokémon Gold credit goes to Game Freak, and Shockslayer
Please, use proper grammar, I can barely understand what you're trying to say. This is a run-on sentence which could use a few periods. Also are you trying to ask something?

If it has your trainer ID it shouldn't be disobeying. How did you get this Chimchar exactly?

BTW, you have a daughter yet you're typing like this?
Also, checking your user profile, you made this account in 2020 to make a post in a tech support thread, vanished until making a random post about having taken the Covid booster in 2021, & now suddenly you're making a batch of posts (while ignoring the rules of the forum).
This is looking very suspicious. :blobthinking:

I don’t have any other choice at the moment for Silver, Red, Blue or Yellow Exclusives

Although I do have blue and Yellow I much prefer trading on Crystal Clear
If you're already using mods, you might as well use glitches on your original game to complete the National Dex without trading.

"It has my trainer ID" suspiciously implies that it was edited. More than just the OT and ID are required to match.

What would happen if you were to play Pokemon go in space? Would it put you somewhere random on earth or nowhere on any map at all?
I got way too interested in this question and spent several hours researching :P

(Also strongly related to questions like "how do websites/companies track your location in general", which you might be interested in.)

Go relies on Google Maps for location, so the original question is the same as "what would happen if you opened Google Maps in space". To the best of my knowledge, Google Maps relies on four main things for location tracking:
  • Bluetooth
  • GPS
  • cell towers
  • Wi-Fi
Here's how all of these literally work in the real world:
  • Your device talks to Bluetooth beacons or other devices with Bluetooth enabled, and those other devices have to use one of the below methods instead.
  • Dozens of satellites orbit around the earth and send out radio signals saying where they are and the time the signal was sent. A hardware chip in your phone receives these signals and calculates the speed-of-light time delay. Combine three or four signals together and do a bunch of algebra, and that's enough to determine your location - if there aren't too many obstacles such as buildings blocking the signals.
  • Similar to above, except it uses the shorter-range stronger signals emitted by cell towers, so it can work better inside buildings.
  • The controversial one. Here's a non-technical explanation that doesn't need to talk about IP addresses:
    • You buy a router. You purchase internet service from some ISP, telling them your mailing address. They switch on the physical cables they planted that are connected to that address. You physically connect your router to those cables. Your ISP tells you that you are cable #987,654. When you connect to a website, you have to tell the website to send its reply to "[X ISP]'s cable #987,654" or else the reply will never make it to you. The ISP writes down that cable #987,654 is located at [your mailing address] and sells this information to third parties. The website you connect to may or may not buy this information, thus knowing your exact mailing address. This works for everything connected to a router, such as computers, not just phones. Pokemon Go allegedly uses this method to detect GPS spoofing (it knows that "[X ISP]'s cable #987,654" is located at [coordinates], so if a device tells Go that it's at [coordinates] but the device doesn't tell Go that it's in range of [the Wi-Fi signal emitted by the router connected to X ISP's cable #987,654], then the device may not be telling the truth).
Here's how all of these would work on the ISS:
  • Irrelevant as one of the other methods is required to work first.
  • The GPS hardware chip in your phone was manufactured to deliberately remain silent if it calculated that its own location was in space. This is because if the chip didn't remain silent, an adversary could (seriously) extract it from the phone and put it inside a nuclear missile for cheap automated precise location targeting from space. Therefore, Pokemon Go would hear nothing from the phone's GPS.
  • There are obviously no cell towers in range of the ISS.
  • This sounds like it would be the most interesting one, because you can use the Internet from the ISS and I said this method theoretically works for any device with Internet connectivity. However...the ISS is not connected directly to the Internet. (If it were, a nefarious person could theoretically send whatever they want to it and DDoS it.) Instead, stations on the ground are connected to the Internet, and these stations communciate with the ISS via radio. Another device on the ISS receives these radio signals and outputs the regular wireless signal that the average computer/phone would recognize. So the computer/phone believes it's connected to the device aboard the ISS, not the ground station. Meanwhile, the website the astronaut is accessing believes it has to send its reply to the ground station, not the ISS. So the really boring answer after all that is...Pokemon Go would think your location is whatever mission control center you're connected to on the ground.

Last edited:

King Ezra The Wise

I COULD BE BANNED!
I’m just assuming things idk if there’s mods the save function works fine and it stays saved unlike my copy of Crystal Clear which makes me start over after removing it

I’m just assuming things idk if there’s mods the save function works fine and it stays saved unlike my copy of Crystal Clear which makes me start over after removing it
What's your question? I'm saying if you're willing to trade with a modded game you might as well use glitches.

I have a physical cartridge of Crystal Clear I ordered from Etsy
Crystal Clear is a mod of Crystal.

----------

I have nowhere else to put this and don't think it's worth bumping the Legends: Arceus thread over, but Legends: Arceus uses a gradient for its HP bar whose number of internal pixels far exceeds the number of pixels displayed on-screen.

The game seems to internally render an HP bar with a large number of pixels, and then it downscales that bar (creating gradients and artifacts) when it gets drawn to the screen, just like the 3DS games had HD models and downscaled them to 240p.

The on-screen HP bar is only 182 pixels wide (plus or minus a few; it's hard to tell exactly due to the gradient). But the game is definitely capable of showing changes in HP smaller than a pixel. If you lose/gain less than a pixel of HP, the band of colored pixels at the edge of the HP bar get noticeably darker/brighter. This is consistent with an internal rendering being downscaled.

Specific math: The best footage I could find involves a Blissey with 577/677 HP recovering with Draining Kiss up to 605/677 HP. It takes 20 frames to do this and it also takes 20 frames to be OHKO'd, so there are no missing frames. Blissey recovers ~1.4 HP per frame and the change in the HP bar is visible every frame. Naively, this would indicate an internal rendering with at least 483 pixels. However, if you aggressively round at every opportunity, the smallest possible number of internal pixels still consistent with the footage is 390 pixels. Either way, that's more than double the number of actual pixels drawn to the screen. (To get a better number, you'd need footage of a max HP Blissey taking exactly 20 damage or recovering exactly 20 HP.)

I'm really curious to see what Scarlet/Violet do with their HP bar now, and if there's any chance of obscure competitive relevance. The HP bars of SwSh, BDSP, and LA have all behaved differently. SV already has a smaller HP bar than SwSh (though in the 1 screenshot so far, it's unclear how much of it is a decorative light green border).

(I was not able to find any usable battle footage of Let's Go to do a frame analysis. Lv50 Chansey with no AVs doesn't have enough HP.)

Last edited:
Bulbapedia fact-check question: Is it true that on the free plan of Pokemon Home, you aren't allowed to sort your 1 box? Bulbapedia says it will always automatically sort by most recently deposited, presumably(?) with most recent at top left and least recent at bottom right.

Bulbapedia fact-check question: Is it true that on the free plan of Pokemon Home, you aren't allowed to sort your 1 box? Bulbapedia says it will always automatically sort by most recently deposited, presumably(?) with most recent at top left and least recent at bottom right.
This is true. I noticed this on release when putting my entire box 1 ingame and it sorted by pokedex order, which is how it resolves ties when depositing at the same time I guess.

hi, I am new here, first post, sorry for the trouble.
Ive started to learn about stats, ivs, dvs today, I dont really know if here is the space for questions like this, hope it is.

Ok, here's the thing: Ive read that rare candies do not give stat exp, so pokemons trained with only rare candies would be expected to be weaker.

So, I tested it:
I have a blastoise (lets call it BLAS) level 73 which I trained it by defeating pokemons, may have used very few rare candies, like one or two, but I think I have used none.
his stats: atk 167, defense 185, speed 148, special 173, hp 233. He took full vitamines.

And I trained a squirtle level 6 to a blastoise level 73 (lets call it GLAS) only by rare candies and also full vitamines (after the candies, dont know if this is relevant).
His stats: atk 161, defense 197, speed 155, special 165, hp 231.

if you sum it all, my GLAS has it better: 909. (and the BLAS has: 906)

I know there's the IV stuff for each pokemon, and although my GLAS may have better ''genes'', should the STATEXP of my BLAS be much higher, since I trained it by defeating pokemons only? Hence, I was expecting my BLAS having better stats, but it was not the case.

So, anyone can explain me this? thanks.

obs1:I am not a native english speaker, sorry for any language issue
obs2: according to a moderator (link below), he said this is the right forum to ask about mechanics
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/stats-and-rare-candies.3703692/

Hello kind sir.

The forum is correct (though this should be in the SQSA topic)

That said, the reason is simple: vitamines stat exp is capped to 25600, while there's no limit (well outside of the 65k upper limit) to the stat exp you can gain from defeating wild pokemon.
This has nothing to do with rare candies per se, but rather with the fact you are in need of wild pokemon defeats to cap your stats, and by leveling up via rare candies only, you will be lacking this bonus.
So in order to maximize your stats you will have to go kill wild pokemon whenever you like it or not.

To quote the smogon article:
Training for Stat Exp. is a grueling task, but with patience and a lot of time, it is very much possible. First, give Vitamins to the Pokemon you wish to train until you receive the message "It won't have any effect." This should take 10 or fewer Vitamins. This brings your Pokemon's Stat Exp. to 25600 in each stat, meaning 37,904 remains. The next step is to find a convenient area to complete your Pokemon's training. This should be an area with a high encounter rate for a singular Pokemon, which makes it easy to keep track of the stat gains. Ideally, this Pokemon should be easily OHKOed as well.
Full explanation: https://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/rby_gsc_stats

Hello kind sir.

That said, the reason is simple: vitamines stat exp is capped to 25600, while there's no limit (well outside of the 65k upper limit) to the stat exp you can gain from defeating wild pokemon.
This has nothing to do with rare candies per se, but rather with the fact you are in need of wild pokemon defeats to cap your stats, and by leveling up via rare candies only, you will be lacking this bonus.
So in order to maximize your stats you will have to go kill wild pokemon whenever you like it or not.

my BLAS mainly was trained by defeating pokemons of other trainers (npcs), a lot of battles against elite four included, so this does not gain stat exp? the pokemons had to be wild?

my BLAS mainly was trained by defeating pokemons of other trainers (npcs) and against the elite four, so this does not gain stat exp? the pokemon have to be wild?
The stat gain isnt the same per every pokemon, in fact it's based on the base stats of the pokemon you defeat.

As you can see yourself, some stats are higher for one, some are higher for the other.
The differences are just a result of DV variance on top of whatever the type of pokemon you ended up defeating.
It's also worth mentioning that if you used the vitamins *after* some levels on your original blastoise, there's a decent chance you have ended up not getting a chunk of stat exp you would have been able to get due to the vitamins only working up to 25k

question about pokemon blue 1st generation mechanics

my pokemon can gain statexp by just defeating wild pokemons or also by defeating game trainer (npc) pokemons?

The stat gain isnt the same per every pokemon, in fact it's based on the base stats of the pokemon you defeat.

As you can see yourself, some stats are higher for one, some are higher for the other.
The differences are just a result of DV variance on top of whatever the type of pokemon you ended up defeating.
It's also worth mentioning that if you used the vitamins *after* some levels on your original blastoise, there's a decent chance you have ended up not getting a chunk of stat exp you would have been able to get due to the vitamins only working up to 25k
Hello kind sir.

I am sorry, but you arent really answering my questions.

I have two blastoises. a) level 73, trained by defeating pokemons (mainly from npcs), no use of rare candies. stats sum = 906.
b) level 73, trained only with rare candies from level 6 to 73, stats sum = 909. Both a) and b) had full vitamines.

so, the question is: why my b) has better sum than my a)?

the reason I thought was because defeating npcs pokemon does not gain stat exp, has to be wild pokemons. is this it?

Obs: i have read the article before, still confused in some things, thats why asking here

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)