Sticky Orange Islands SQSA Thread

I found I buy a non-US copy of Pokemon Ranger, would I be able to send the Manaphy egg to my US Diamond/Pearl (assuming it hasn't been taken)?

So, with UsUm out now, wanted to make a more tryhard-y team compared to the casual run of SM since it's what I like to do, and I was hoping for a suggestion.

The main player of the team is Mimikyu. Looking at its OU analysis, it likes a Sticky Web team, and since Shuckle is on my my favorite 'mons overall, I'm always good for any excuse to use it. The rest of the team came from the other recommended teammates for Mimikyu.

Mimikyu | Mega Pinsir | Sticky Web Shuckle | Assault Vest Magnezone | Bisharp | Blank

The first and most obvious glaring weakness is that everyone on the team hates Fire types. It also needs a Stealth Rock remover for Mega Pinsir. I reallywanted to use Dhelmise as the team's spinner because it's one of my favorite additions in all of Gen 7, but that would be 6x fire weaknesses. So the blank space pretty much needs to be able to soak fire attacks aimed at everyone else, and also be able to get rid of hazards.

Toxapex comes up as the first big thought because it can tank for days, can Haze, and poison. My only worry is that that's too much hazard focus with both T.Spikes and Sticky Web (and no Rocks of my own).
Tentacruel was also another option as a slightly more offensive version of the above, but with the same worry.
Mantine was also an option for a hazard-less hazard remover and water type.
And lastly there's Starmie who can be either a defensive of high offensive water spinner as well.

Would anyone have suggestions on which of the four would be ideal? Or perhaps a suggestion not mentioned? As a cartridge player though, I ask for a few restrictions to be observed. Mainly, no legendaries/ultra beasts, and nothing that was time/event limited. It has to be something breedable, and without requiring moves being passed up from 'mons in previous generations.

So, with UsUm out now, wanted to make a more tryhard-y team compared to the casual run of SM since it's what I like to do, and I was hoping for a suggestion.

The main player of the team is Mimikyu. Looking at its OU analysis, it likes a Sticky Web team, and since Shuckle is on my my favorite 'mons overall, I'm always good for any excuse to use it. The rest of the team came from the other recommended teammates for Mimikyu.

Mimikyu | Mega Pinsir | Sticky Web Shuckle | Assault Vest Magnezone | Bisharp | Blank

The first and most obvious glaring weakness is that everyone on the team hates Fire types. It also needs a Stealth Rock remover for Mega Pinsir. I reallywanted to use Dhelmise as the team's spinner because it's one of my favorite additions in all of Gen 7, but that would be 6x fire weaknesses. So the blank space pretty much needs to be able to soak fire attacks aimed at everyone else, and also be able to get rid of hazards.

Toxapex comes up as the first big thought because it can tank for days, can Haze, and poison. My only worry is that that's too much hazard focus with both T.Spikes and Sticky Web (and no Rocks of my own).
Tentacruel was also another option as a slightly more offensive version of the above, but with the same worry.
Mantine was also an option for a hazard-less hazard remover and water type.
And lastly there's Starmie who can be either a defensive of high offensive water spinner as well.

Would anyone have suggestions on which of the four would be ideal? Or perhaps a suggestion not mentioned? As a cartridge player though, I ask for a few restrictions to be observed. Mainly, no legendaries/ultra beasts, and nothing that was time/event limited. It has to be something breedable, and without requiring moves being passed up from 'mons in previous generations.
Somehow I think doing all this would take longer than simply getting an overleveled Mimikyu and having it solo the game.

Somehow I think doing all this would take longer than simply getting an overleveled Mimikyu and having it solo the game.
Considering I've hand-bred a full team for every game I've had since Platinum (Platinum | HeartGold | Black | Black2 | Y | Alpha Sapphire. Missed out on Moon though), it's not something I'm not used to, and I'm fine with it.

Just looking for suggestions on a 6th team member.

Against most NPCs, you can send Pinsir in once and sweep their team, so I really don't think stealth rock is a big problem. You should probably just use a strong fire resist, like Garchomp.

There's like almost no trainer that uses Entry Hazards anyway to begin with... basically just one of Togedemaru's allys.
And with basically any trainer that's not E4 or Lusamine having at most 3-4 Pokemon before TRR, even setting up Entry Hazards is a huge waste of time :|

There's like almost no trainer that uses Entry Hazards anyway to begin with... basically just one of Togedemaru's allys.
And with basically any trainer that's not E4 or Lusamine having at most 3-4 Pokemon before TRR, even setting up Entry Hazards is a huge waste of time :|
And with the most relevant trainer that uses Stealth Rock not being an opponent until the post-game.

I'm building it to use in the main game, but I'm still going to use it against other people as well. Not like top tier ladder competition, but still against friends or like people at conventions in passing or at local mini-tournaments.

First question: If I wanted to catch a Mewtwo in Virtual Console RBY, transfer it to SM, and have it be shiny, what stats would it need to have when I catch it?
Second question: If an Ariados is transferred from Generation 6 to Generation 7, when will its special defense stat go up?
Third question: If I were to SOS chain with a synchronize Kadabra and its ability was changed to protean during the battle, then would ally Pokemons' natures still have an increased chance of matching Kadabra's nature?
Fourth question: This has probably already been asked several dozen times, but is the parent that passes down each IV determined when the day care person finds the egg, or some other time?

Last edited:
First question: If I wanted to catch a Mewtwo in Virtual Console RBY, transfer it to SM, and have it be shiny, what stats would it need to have when I catch it?
Second question: If an Ariados is transferred from Generation 6 to Generation 7, when will its special defense stat go up?
Third question: If I were to SOS chain with a synchronize Kadabra and its ability was changed to protean during the battle, then would ally Pokemons' natures still have an increased chance of matching Kadabra's nature?
Fourth question: This has probably already been asked several dozen times, but is the parent that passes down each IV determined when the day care person finds the egg, or some other time?
HP: 228 or 239
Attack: 161, 163, 167, 168, 173, 174, 178, or 180
Defense: 145
Speed: 201
Special: 234

2. Anytime it gets used in a Gen VII game. It's an automatic adjustment.

3. If the ally was called when your Pokémon did not have Synchronize, you were not using Synchronize.

4. In Sun/Moon, this inheritance is set many eggs in advance, before parents are even put into the Nursery.

3. If the ally was called when your Pokémon did not have Synchronize, you were not using Synchronize.
As far as I know there's a way to "cheat" this, if you have your sync as first pokemon and it's already KO when the battle starts, since it's still your first pokemon in the list, SoSd pokes will still get Sync effect.

As far as I know there's a way to "cheat" this, if you have your sync as first pokemon and it's already KO when the battle starts, since it's still your first pokemon in the list, SoSd pokes will still get Sync effect.
That doesn't work during an SOS Battle. Same reason people use Sylveon in-battle to try and SOS female Salandits. The Pokémon whose ability you want to work NEEDS to be in battle. This may have changed for USUM, but for Sun/Moon, it is what it is.

HP: 228 or 239
Attack: 161, 163, 167, 168, 173, 174, 178, or 180
Defense: 145
Speed: 201
Special: 234
These stats don't work anymore. Apparently, the required stats changed.
4. In Sun/Moon, this inheritance is set many eggs in advance, before parents are even put into the Nursery.
Is this the same time that shininess is determined?

Kinda. If you read the article about egg RNGing, you'd see that indeed shininess is determined before the parents are even put in

The wrong Transporter formula in the past based the shiny formula on Defence being able to vary between 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14 or 15 and Attack being fixed to 10. Since Version 1.3, this has been fixed to be consistent with GSC where the Attack IV varies and Defence is fixed. The stats given show a fixed Defence stat and multiple Attack possibilities, so they should be the right stats for the latest formula.

What Pokeball is better for catching Ho-Oh in Pokemon G/S? Is it the Heavy Ball or the Ultra Ball or am I missing another Ball other than Masterball of course. Want to SR for a Shiny but I've already used the Masterball on a Shiny Lugia.

What Pokeball is better for catching Ho-Oh in Pokemon G/S? Is it the Heavy Ball or the Ultra Ball or am I missing another Ball other than Masterball of course. Want to SR for a Shiny but I've already used the Masterball on a Shiny Lugia.
According to Bulbapedia, the heavy ball doesn't change the catch rate of Ho-Oh because it's less than 204.7 kg.

If you're on Silver, both Level and Ultra have the same catch rate (provided you're meeting the Level Ball's requirement). In Gold, as long as your Pokémon is Level 84 or higher, Level Ball has the highest catch rate.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
When is the earliest (in terms of badge count) you can get a Water Stone in GSC without using Mystery Gift?

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
When is the earliest (in terms of badge count) you can get a Water Stone in GSC without using Mystery Gift?
In GS you'll have to wait until Kanto for Bill's grandfather. In Crystal you can get one from Fisherman Tully random calls on Route 42 - he's technically accessible immediately following badge 3 if you cut through Mt Mortar.

1st question: What are some good balls to catch / breed a pokemon in? I've seen spitbacks / fully trained mons in love balls, dream balls, luxury balls, moon balls, dream balls, beast balls etc. I can understand catching a non-ultra beast in a beast ball is kinda cool, but can someone mention and justify some balls being ''cooler'' or ''more rare'' to catch pokemon than the others?
2nd question: For synchronize to actually work, does the synchronizer need to be the active pokemon when the target is caught, or is having the synchronizer appear first and then switched out enough? I was pretty sure the 2nd scenario was the correct one, but i'm in a midst of an unlucky streak synchronizing the natures of the tapus in my US version, so i needed to double check it. Thanks in advance!

Question 1: The ball you catch things in is mostly for fashion purposes. Expecially considering you will generally rebreed for IV / Nature / egg moves anyway.

Question 2: It needs to be the first Pokemon in the team (thus, active) when the wild Poke appears. So if you are SoS chaining you want the Sync to still be your active pokemon.

While I've read that you can tecnically cheese this in USUM by having your sync in first spot and being KO before starting the SoS chain / legendary battle, I cannot confirm nor deny this as I haven't checked myself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 2)