Sticky Orange Islands SQSA Thread

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Good morning everyone! I have a bit of a request. I just started playing Ultra Moon last night and am looking to make it a little more entertaining (since, to be quite frank, going through the in-game is going to feel very much like work). So, I am going to be fielding suggestions for team members for a Johtomons run; I am going to be asking around here and on a few different Discord servers throughout the day for ideas. If you have any recommendations for Gen II 'mons to use as final team members, please throw them my way!
If I were to make some suggestions (and sticking within the USUM Regional Dex) I think Dunsparce could be fun with all the TMs it can learn and being a mixed attacker. Alternatively there's Miltank who has good Attack, Defense, and Speed (though with low Special Attack it's rather limited with what TM it can use).

Let's see, some other interesting mons to use. How about Sudowoodo? Or raise a Larvitar! In my USUM I actually raised both a Bagon and Beldum and, while it took almost the entire game and certainly they dragged behind at points, when I finally got them to become a Salamence and Metagross all that work felt worth it. I imagine raiding a Larvitar to a Tyranitar would be the same way!

As much as I want to suggest Ledyba and Spinarak (though I don't think Spinarak is a bad choice but a challenging one), if you want a Bug-type on your team probably go with either Scizor or Heracross. Though if you want to avoid the usual used Johtomons then maybe skip the Bug-type unless you want to try with a Spinarak/Ariados (there's also Pineco/Forretress but it's meant to be a wall which is why I passed over mentioning Blissey with the other Normal-types).

Taking a quick detour to Steel-types, if you want one but don't want a Bug/Steel there's the popular Skarmory as an option.

Always thought would be cool to raise a Remoraid/Octillery, is a mixed attacker and learns a wide variety of Types from both level-up and TM. There's also Chinchou/Lanturn who'll also cover Electric-types (if you don't want to use the Mareep family like people usually do).

There's also Slowking which is Water/Psychic, though there's another Psychic-type to consider: Natu/Xatu (especially if you don't get a Skarmory so have room for a Flying-type on the team).

Final suggestions I would make is either Houndour/Houndoom if you want Fire power or Snubbull/Granbull if you want some Fairy back-up for them Dragon-types.

So if I were to suggest a team (bold is my preference):
1. Dunsparce or Miltank
2. Sudowoodo or Larvitar/Pupitar/Tyranitar
3. Spinarak/Ariados or Pineco/Forretress
4. Remoraid/Octillery or Chinchou/Lanturn
5. Skarmory or Natu/Xatu
6. Houndour/Houndoom or Snubbull/Granbull

They were in Johto. Some Pokemon appear in multiple regions.
A touch condescending haha. I’m well aware of that, but when people talk about this kind of run, they almost always mean Pokémon native to or ‘discovered’ in the named region. You’ll notice that every single other suggestion has been a Pokémon from 152-251 in the National Dex.

So I never completed Pokemon Moon and I've been looking to pick it up again.
I just read about "Hyper training" and I am blown away. Any pokemon can now get perfect IVs?
Am I reading this right?

To me, this means there is no longer a need to IV breed, or SR for legendaries. Sure, IVs from hyper training
cannot be passed down, but who cares? It makes no difference right? In SM/USUM that poke will have the new IVs
for all practical purposes, right? And as all competitive play is done on current gen (need the Alolan symbol)
surely this means hyper training is now the only smart way to go about building a team? Assuming that the IVs are retained in all later games
then this is a complete game changer???

I just read about "Hyper training" and I am blown away. Any pokemon can now get perfect IVs?
Am I reading this right?

To me, this means there is no longer a need to IV breed, or SR for legendaries. Sure, IVs from hyper training
cannot be passed down, but who cares? It makes no difference right? In SM/USUM that poke will have the new IVs
for all practical purposes, right? And as all competitive play is done on current gen (need the Alolan symbol)
surely this means hyper training is now the only smart way to go about building a team? Assuming that the IVs are retained in all later games
The downside to this is that the Pokémon needs to be level 100, and you need to have a specific item which can be hard to get. So in most cases it's just more efficient and convenient to IV breed.
This does mean, though, that it makes things a little easier. You can settle for imperfect SR'd Legendaries or bred Pokémon now if just one or two of the IVs are off, so it's much less strict. This also makes Hidden Power 'mon exponentially easier to get; as Hyper Training doesn't actually change the IV -- it just changes the stat to what it would be with a max IV. So if you get the Hidden Power you want, then you can just Hyper Train to max IVs.
That last part also means it's possible to have max IVs on something with HP Ice, HP Fire etc. So no more 30 speed Latioses.

Am I reading this right?

Yes and no.

The IV's do not change. Instead, Hyper Training will make the affected stat act as though it has an IV of 31. Thus, the Pokemon's Hidden Power type is unaffected. You may also want specific IV's for certain situations, like 0 in Speed for Trick Room.

You can only Hyper Train Pokemon that are level 100, whereas most competitions are set to level 50. It also costs one Bottle Cap per stat raised, or a Gold Bottle Cap for all six at once, and they aren't terribly abundant.

While true this competitively makes little difference, and makes soft resetting legendary Pokemon or Pokemon with special moves much easier, it's better to breed for perfection with the Pokemon that can breed and don't need a special event move to be good.

... Or, you know, what Kurona said.

The TLDR version is that Hypertraining increases the stat as if you had 31 IV rather than set the IV to 31.

Essentially it allows to have 6x31 mons with any Hidden Power (except HP fighting on legendaries) and basically is meant to not force people to hack or mindless SR for legendaries, as well as not making you feel bad if you breed/catch a shiny and it doesnt have perfect IVs.

It is conserved normally when you trade a mon between any gen 7 game, since stats have their own "hypertrained" flag in the single pokemon data, so no reason to not assume it'll stay as it is in the next gen (as well as hopefully obtaining a way to set IV to 0, one can wish :p )

Question about Rayquaza in HGSS.

If I no longer have the Groudon caught in SS will a different Groudon from another SS save file work? What does the game check for? I'm guessing it probably just the location the Groudon and Kyogre was caught?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Question about Rayquaza in HGSS.

If I no longer have the Groudon caught in SS will a different Groudon from another SS save file work? What does the game check for? I'm guessing it probably just the location the Groudon and Kyogre was caught?
According to Bulbapedia You can use a Groudon from another Soul Silver, game only checks location.

I'm looking to use Poke Pelago's Isle Evelup feature to level up my Pokémon. How do I know how much experience I need to give a Pokémon to allow it to gain several levels? The game only lists how much experience is needed for the next level, and I can't seem to find an equation anywhere involving base exp, current exp, and desired level.

I'm looking to use Poke Pelago's Isle Evelup feature to level up my Pokémon. How do I know how much experience I need to give a Pokémon to allow it to gain several levels? The game only lists how much experience is needed for the next level, and I can't seem to find an equation anywhere involving base exp, current exp, and desired level.
Here's a page on Serebii for the equations to most of the experience groups. From there, know that the fully upgraded Isle Evelup can grant 300 EXP per half hour session and you can set how many sessions you want them in for. Poke Beans will allow sessions to complete twice as quickly while the beans are in effect. If you delete the updates from your 3DS, you might be able to utilize a glitch to allow a lot of time to pass quickly in the Isle, though I'm not sure how that worked.

If you delete the updates from your 3DS, you might be able to utilize a glitch to allow a lot of time to pass quickly in the Isle, though I'm not sure how that worked.
The way the glitch worked was that if a month passed while there were activities going on, they would be completed instantly.

I presume the glitch does not work in Ultra Sun or Ultra Moon, as the glitch was discovered long before them being released.

I'm once again playing through Mystery Dungeon (Blue Rescue Team) and I was wondering if there's a list somewhere with Pokemon and their corresponding evolution levels.

If it's not Reshiram or Zekrom, it can be shiny.
Not entirely true. Certain Pokemon in the games can not be shiny also. An example would be Eevee and Deerling that are gifted in BW2 cannot be shiny for example. It's the stationary/gift Pokemon with there Hidden Abilities some are Shiny locked. All Hidden Grotto Pokemon are also Shiny locked.

Is there anyone here that has a lot of knowledge about Mystery Dungeon (Blue Rescue Team)? I have multiple elaborate questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)