Ladder ORAS 1v1 [3v3 Team Preview]

lost heros

Meme Master
Yessir, that would be the idea.
Maybe we could make it so that we can't ban pokemon, if it gets a little TOO crazy.
Well we have 20 mon's ranked viably at A- and up. So that could be the basis of how difficult we want the tour to be. Less then that it could still be too easy, more would make it more difficult.

DEG

The night belongs to you
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I have always wanted to post about this topic but never found time, and space between discussions to really bring up this topic. Now that some discussions have died down it's time to address this issue. For this time's discussion the topic will be Accuracy Reducing Moves and Sleep. What do you think of such moves? Do you think they favor the user? And more importantly, are they broken enough to justify a ban?

I'll post my thoughts later, but I wanna read about what everyone think first.

DoW

formally Death on Wings
Although I haven't seen it used much, Flash can be incredibly annoying. I think it should be noted that Accuracy Reducing moves and Evasion Boosting moves are effectively the same in this metagame, so if one is banned under Evasion Clause it makes sense for the other to be banned. I also find that generally, these stratagies have a <50% chance of working, which makes me view them in the same light as things like OHKO moves - they should be banned due to being uncompetitive and sometimes allowing worse players to beat better players.

Sleep is something I only really see on Mega Venusaur, and honestly doesn't seem broken to me. The fact that it can be played around via Substitute, as well as the fact that even if it does hit, you haven't yet outright lost, means that I've never found it to be particularly bad to play against.

I think it should be noted that Accuracy Reducing moves and Evasion Boosting moves are effectively the same in this metagame, so if one is banned under Evasion Clause it makes sense for the other to be banned.
This is a fair point. Only differences are that Substitute blocks Accuracy Reducing moves, and that Accuracy Reducing moves are limited to 1 stage drops only whereas there are Evasion Boosting moves with 2 stage increases. Is that a big enough difference to keep it unbanned? Possibly.

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
are they broken enough to justify a ban?
They're not particularly broken as much as they are just classifiably uncompetitive, unless that's what you meant.

For accuracy dropping strategies/moves, let's take a look at the best/most popular users of the moves:

After looking through the viability rankings and theorymonning potential sets, I've concluded that all accuracy dropping strategies are best used on pokemon that can set up defensively or weaken damage taken from the opponent. The best pokemon for this job include: Deoxys-Defense, Slowbro-Mega, Chansey, Venusaur-Mega, Mew, Cresselia, Dusclops/Dusknoir and potentially Aggron-Mega/Steelix-Mega.

The main thing that all of these pokemon have in common when using accuracy-dropping strategies is that it's intended for the function of pp stalling an opponent until they eventually Struggle themselves to death. Now, what are some threats to pp stall or stall in general? There's Taunt, Porygon-Z (Uproar negates Rest and Trick takes out any defensive pokemon that isn't prepared for it), Hyper-offensive/Offensive setup pokemon in general, and Toxic for the unfortunate souls that think they can run pp stall without running Rest. That being said, those things generally negate the normal stall that we're adjusted to from all the regular 6v6 metas and tiers, BUT in 1v1, the case is different, since there are no full teams to support either pokemon, hyper pp stall IS in fact a legitimate strategy, since the pokemon on the receiving end can't switch out to undo the drops and other effects, which in turn means that stall-oriented pokemon no longer need to run some kind of attack to maintain viability, which gives them the move space they need to handle only the things that directly threaten them, through any means possible.
(I kinda went off on a tangent at the end of this paragraph to simply explain that 1v1 has incredibly different qualities from pretty much every other way of playing on Showdown, and as such, we can't really draw comparisons from any other meta/tier to explain it, other than tiering methods for which pokemon are used more commonly than others.)

Something we need to take into consideration here is, what makes accuracy setup any different from offensive/defensive setup? The obvious answer to this question is that, instead of improving or weakening the amount of damage an attack deals, accuracy setup improves the user's chances of taking no damage from an attack at all, as well as accuracy not having any pokemon-oriented statistic associated with it; instead, accuracy is based off of the move's statistics.
Despite being based on completely different things, are they still really that different? In a lot of cases, there really are no differences between offensive setups and accuracy setups, if your opponent allows you to get to +6 Attack, there is likely no way that they will be able to survive an attack, just as if your opponent allows you to drop their accuracy to -6, there is little chance that they will even be able to touch you.

As for the other suspected strategy, there are already a limited number of Sleep users to even use the strategy, the only notable ones being: Smeargle, Venusaur-Mega, Breloom, any pokemon that appears from doing [/ds all, sleep powder, leech seed], and less accurate sleep users such as Gengar-Mega, Gardevoir-Mega, Whimsicott, Altaria-Mega, Mawile-Mega, and Sylveon.

For any of the pokemon that rely on less accurate Sleep moves (Hypnosis, Grasswhistle, Sing), the entire outcome of the match is likely decided on whether the move hits or not, since most of the less accurate sleep users only need 1 safe turn to safely knock out the opponent or guarantee the win, which ultimately leaves the match being decided on what is basically a slightly biased coinflip.

As for any SubSeed Sleep users, mostly all they need to win is be faster than the opponent and hope they don't have any moves that go through Substitute. This practice ultimately takes the entire battle out of the hands of the player using the slower pokemon, since they often can do little against their opponent other than try to counteract the strategy by running Taunt on whatever pokemon they can and hope that they aren't asleep for long enough for it to be wasted.

Sleep Powder on Venusaur acts as one of the only ways it can safely defend itself against most of the offense-oriented pokemon of 1v1, since a majority of them are capable of knocking it out in a couple of hits. What makes this particular pokemon different is that it generally needs two turns to safely settle itself into an almost-guaranteed win, just as Smeargle does. Smeargle, while also needing two turns of sleep to win, is almost an opposite to Venusaur, since it lacks the bulk to stand up to most attacks that are thrown its way, so instead, it relies on being faster than the opponent to put them to sleep, and then hoping that the 2/3 chance of the opponent staying asleep will let them safely use Imprison before using Transform to lock the opponent into using Struggle. An alternative to this strategy that relies on the same method is Custap + Endure Smeargle, that Endures on turn 1 to stand up to the opponent's attack and have the Custap Berry make them go first, putting the opponent to sleep, and then hoping they stay asleep on the next turn for it to use Endeavor, and then finish them off with Extremespeed.

I won't leave any of my opinionated garble in here, since those are just my personal biases, but the statements above are facts, or at least my attempts at making factual statements. The ultimate deciding factor is what the community as people feel is the right thing to do, since Showdown is meant to be a community-based concept that controls the standards given to us by the games to mold them into what a majority of deciding people would consider "fair for all".

This is a fair point. Only differences are that Substitute blocks Accuracy Reducing moves, and that Accuracy Reducing moves are limited to 1 stage drops only whereas there are Evasion Boosting moves with 2 stage increases. Is that a big enough difference to keep it unbanned? Possibly.
with your logic we are just counting stages of evasion/accuracy, which means, only minimize should be banned and not all evasion moves. so does it really make a difference? id say yes.

this does not change the fact that evasion boosting is uncompetitive, and its reverse is true; accuracy lowering is uncompetitive since the opponent can not switch in 1v1. it should not matter how many stages are being boosted that makes something uncompetitive. more stages makes more of a difference which could lead to something being overpowered, but it does not influence whether or not it is competitive.

there are very few differences between evasion boosting and accuracy lowering
  • # of stages: minimize can change by 2 stages ("relevant" for 15 mons)
  • simple: can abuse double team and get abused by accuracy lowering more easily ("relevant" for 5 mons)
  • contrary: cant boost evasion, but get boosted by accuracy lowering ("relevant" for 7 mons)
  • unaware: ignore opponents evasion boosts ("relevant" for 7 mons)
  • magic bounce: bounces back accuracy lowering status moves unless the opponent has moldbreaker/teravolt ("relevant" for 6 mons)
  • competitive/defiant: gives attackers a boost when the opponent tries to lower accuracy ("relevant" for 20 mons)
  • wonder skin: accuracy lowering status moves are 50% accurate ("relevant" for 4 mons)
  • levitate/flying types/air balloon: immune to mudslap unless the opponent has moldbreaker/teravolt for levitate, or gravity for flying types/air balloon, or trick/switcheroo+ringtarget for flying type/air balloon, or a non-immune attack for airballoon ("relevant" for all but 35 megas)
  • substitute: accuracy lowering moves can not bypass unless the opponent has infiltrator once substitute is up ("relevant" for all but 25 mons)
  • taunt: prevents the opponent from setting up evasion unless they have oblivious/mbounce and you dont have moldbreaker, or unless they have mental herb ("relevant" for 200+ mons)
i think that covers it. hopefully i didnt miss anything

Clefable @ Leppa Berry
Ability: Unaware
Sassy Nature
- Metronome
- Cosmic Power
- Rest
- Lucky Chant

Screenshot_20160723-151707.png

Pretty fun to add to team, you max both defense with cosmic and tank damage while stalling with rest. Lucky chant keeps the crits away. And metronome makes the long stall fun.

Last edited:

dusk raimon

Banned deucer.
(When I came back to finish off S rank my iPad stopped letting my copy/Paste for some reason and im away on vacation so I can't use a computer, if someone could help that would be great, that's also why I had some pokemon with [name] instead of an actual sprite)

This is a 1v1 sets compendium for all mons from S rank through to B rank (not including B- rank]
Gyarados-Mega
Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Taunt
- Outrage
- Crunch

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch

Mawile-Mega
Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Metal Burst
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Porygon-Z
Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 156 Def / 128 SpA / 224 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Trick
- Hyper Beam
- Uproar
- Dark Pulse

Porygon-Z @ Choice Specs
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hyper Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Trick
- Uproar

Porygon-Z @ Custap Berry
EVs: 240 HP / 248 SpA / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt/Dark Pulse
- Hyper Beam
- Endure

Kyurem-Black
Kyurem-Black @ Haban Berry
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Outrage
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt

Credits to DEG (Kyurem-Black) @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Outrage
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Roost

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Outrage
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Focus Blast
- Earth Power

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance/Belly Drum
- Substitute/Will-o-Wisp
- Outrage
- Flare Blitz

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp/Counter
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Flare Blitz

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Solar Beam
- Blast Burn
- Air Slash/Ancient Power/Rock tomb/Dragon Pulse
- Will-O-Wisp

Greninja @ Choice Specs/Life orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid/Modest Nature
- Hydro Cannon
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
- Shadow Sneak/Hyper Beam/Dark pulse

Deoxys-Defense @ Lum Berry/Sitrus berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Mirror Coat
- Counter
- Recover

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Superpower
- Earthquake/Fire Punch/Aqua Tail/Iron head

Dragonite @ Weakness Policy/Lum berry
Ability: Multiscale (Inner focus can be used if your team is incredibly weak to mega loppuny)
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake/Superpower

meloetta
Meloetta @ Choice Specs
Ability: Serene Grace
Modest Nature
- Trick
- Psychic/Psyshock/Hyper Voice
- Hyper Beam
- Shadow Ball/Energy Ball/Focus Blast

Slowbro-Mega @ Slowbronite
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Calm Mind
- Iron Defense
- Scald
- Slack Off

Garchomp @ Choice Band/Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly/Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Poison Jab

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat/Earthquake
- Giga Impact
- Protect
- Swords Dance

Rhyperior @ Choice Band
Ability: Solid Rock
Adamant Nature
- Rock Wrecker
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch/Avalanche

Rhyperior @ Custap Berry
Ability: Solid Rock
Adamant Nature
- Endure
- Swords Dance
- Rock Wrecker/Rock Blast
- Earthquake

Whimsicott @ Leftovers/babiri berry/Occa Berry
Ability: Prankster
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Substitute

Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite
Ability: Filter
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Head Smash
- Heavy Slam
- Toxic
- Metal Burst

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Counter
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic

Mega Gardevoir

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 224 HP / 252 SpA / 32 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Hyper Beam
- Psychic/Psyshock/Focus Blast
- Taunt

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm/Earthquake/Thunder Punch/Ice punch/Giga Impact

Togekiss @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Trick
- Flamethrower
- Dazzling Gleam

Togekiss @ Babiri Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Charm
- Thunder Wave
- Air Slash
- Roost

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- King's Shield
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Ball

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Giga Impact/Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Roost

Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
Bold Nature
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Scald
- Protect

Crustle @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sturdy
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Rock Wrecker
- X-Scissor/Rock Blast/Earthquake
- Counter

Golem @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Counter

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 136 HP / 252 SpA / 120 Spe
Rash Nature
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon/Hidden Power Ice
- Earth Power
- Rock Tomb

Magnezone @ Choice Specs/Weakness Policy/Custap Berry
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Hidden Power [Rock] / Hidden Power Ice
- Thunderbolt
- Mirror Coat/Hyper Beam. (Run endure here if you have Custap berry)
- Flash Cannon

Manaphy @ Lum Berry
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Tail Glow
- Acid Armor
- Scald
- Rest

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Rain Dance
- Rest
- Scald

Porygon2

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace/Analytic
Bold Nature
- Tri Attack
- Thunder Wave
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Hyper Beam
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Psyshock

Sylveon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Yawn
- Protect
- Substitute
- Hyper Voice

Sylveon @ Custap Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 68 Def / 192 SpA
Modest Nature
- Endure
- Hyper Beam
- Hyper Voice
- Fake Tears

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Overheat
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave

Ampharos-Mega @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunderbolt
- Counter

Ampharos-Mega @ Ampharosite
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Pulse

Empoleon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Torrent
Modest Nature
- Hydro Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Grass Knot
- Ice Beam

genesect

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon
- Bug Buzz
- Ice Beam

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Trick
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch/Fire Punch/U-Turn

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Sludge Wave

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Giga Impact/Return
- Ice Punch

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Swift Swim
Adamant Nature
- Yawn
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Protect

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Unnerve
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Atk / 168 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Taunt
- Dragon Dance

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
Bold Nature
- Leech Seed
- Sleep Powder
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain

And that is my set compendium for 1v1 mons from B rank through to S rank
Moved this to resource thread as reccomended by Dream Eater Gengar

DEG

The night belongs to you
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello, I'm bringing you the stats for the latest 1v1 tour. I deleted my old post since formatting was so bad, I have now fixed it. Since it takes 40~ minutes to format I'm going to do them slowly, I'm going to start with ORAS. Since it's done manually, it won't be 100% accurate, I most likely missed some battles or so, I apologize in advance. Pokemon are ranked from their number of use as first criteria, then Win %. Feel free to discuss the stats.

Used Pokemon IN-BATTLE:

ORAS

Code:
+ ---- + ------------------ + --- + ------- + ------ +
| Rank | Pokemon            | Use | W/L | Win % |
| 1    | Mega Mawile        | 7 | 2/5 | 28%
| 2    | Dragonite          | 5 | 3/2 | 60%
| 3    | Whimsicott         | 4 | 3/1 | 75%
| 4    | Mega Charizard X   | 3 | 3/0 | 100%
| 5    | Kyurem-Black       | 3 | 2/1 | 66%
| 6    | Mega Gyarados      | 3 | 2/1 | 66%
| 7    | Magnezone          | 3 | 2/1 | 66%
| 8    | Mega Metagross     | 3 | 2/1 | 66%
| 9    | Crustle            | 2 | 2/0 | 100%
| 10   | Mega Aggron        | 2 | 1/1 | 50%
| 11   | Mega Charizard Y   | 2 | 0/2 | 0%
| 12   | Mega Venusaur      | 2 | 0/2 | 0%
| 13   | Greninja           | 1 | 1/0 | 100%
| 14   | Mega Blastoise     | 1 | 1/0 | 100%
| 15   | Mega Heracross     | 1 | 1/0 | 100%
| 16   | Relicanth          | 1 | 1/0 | 100%
| 17   | Mega Audino        | 1 | 1/0 | 100%
| 18   | Mega Lopunny       | 1 | 0/1 | 0%
| 19   | Sawk               | 1 | 0/1 | 0%
| 20   | Mandibuzz          | 1 | 0/1 | 0%
| 21   | Entei              | 1 | 0/1 | 0%
| 22   | Volcanion          | 1 | 0/1 | 0%
| 23   | Jirachi            | 1 | 0/1 | 0%
| 24   | Chansey            | 1 | 0/1 | 0%
| 25   | Riolu              | 1 | 0/1 | 0%

Total:52
Missing Pokemon: 0
Number of ORAS 1v1 games played: 26

What I have noticed here is the drastic Win % of Mega Mawile, with only 28% wins this Pokemon was overly prepared as it is a destructive force in 1v1. Mega Charizard was the best Pokemon in ORAS with a 100% win rate and 3 uses overall.

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Hello, I'm bringing you the stats for the latest 1v1 tour. I deleted my old post since formatting was so bad, I have now fixed it. Since it takes 40~ minutes to format I'm going to do them slowly, I'm going to start with ORAS. Since it's done manually, it won't be 100% accurate, I most likely missed some battles or so, I apologize in advance. Pokemon are ranked from their number of use as first criteria, then Win %. Feel free to discuss the stats.

Used Pokemon IN-BATTLE:

ORAS

Code:
| Rank | Pokemon            | Use | W/L | Win % |
| 1    | Mega Mawile        | 7 | 2/5 | 28%
| 2    | Dragonite          | 5 | 3/2 | 60%
| 3    | Whimsicott         | 4 | 3/1 | 75%
| 4    | Mega Charizard X   | 3 | 3/0 | 100%
| 5    | Kyurem-Black       | 3 | 2/1 | 66%
| 6    | Mega Gyarados      | 3 | 2/1 | 66%
| 7    | Magnezone          | 3 | 2/1 | 66%
| 8    | Mega Metagross     | 3 | 2/1 | 66%
| 9    | Crustle            | 2 | 2/0 | 100%
| 10   | Mega Aggron        | 2 | 1/1 | 50%
| 11   | Mega Charizard Y   | 2 | 0/2 | 0%
| 12   | Mega Venusaur      | 2 | 0/2 | 0%
| 13   | Greninja           | 1 | 1/0 | 100%
| 14   | Mega Blastoise     | 1 | 1/0 | 100%
| 15   | Mega Heracross     | 1 | 1/0 | 100%
| 16   | Relicanth          | 1 | 1/0 | 100%
| 17   | Mega Audino        | 1 | 1/0 | 100%
| 18   | Mega Lopunny       | 1 | 0/1 | 0%
| 19   | Sawk               | 1 | 0/1 | 0%
| 20   | Mandibuzz          | 1 | 0/1 | 0%
| 21   | Entei              | 1 | 0/1 | 0%
| 22   | Volcanion          | 1 | 0/1 | 0%
| 23   | Jirachi            | 1 | 0/1 | 0%
| 24   | Chansey            | 1 | 0/1 | 0%
| 25   | Riolu              | 1 | 0/1 | 0%

Total:52
Missing Pokemon: 0
Number of ORAS 1v1 games played: 26

What I have noticed here is the drastic Win % of Mega Mawile, with only 28% wins this Pokemon was overly prepared as it is a destructive force in 1v1. Mega Charizard was the best Pokemon in ORAS with a 100% win rate and 3 uses overall.
Couple interesting things here apart from what u mentioned--zard y has a bad w/l, while zard x has a good one, so the which mega zard mindgame is still as strong as ever, but with most people tending to have an easier time beating y (makes sense, very rock weak, less bulky). Crustle is also a god (or maybe that's just me :J ). Dnite also having 5 uses surprised me. karl repping entei tho. Relicanth kinda intrigued me bcz im not rly sure what it does, ig another endure custap mon w/ rock head head smash?

Reactions: DEG
Couple interesting things here apart from what u mentioned--zard y has a bad w/l, while zard x has a good one, so the which mega zard mindgame is still as strong as ever, but with most people tending to have an easier time beating y (makes sense, very rock weak, less bulky). Crustle is also a god (or maybe that's just me :J ). Dnite also having 5 uses surprised me. karl repping entei tho. Relicanth kinda intrigued me bcz im not rly sure what it does, ig another endure custap mon w/ rock head head smash?
Interesting statistics...
Hi guys it's been a while.
Also, Relicanth runs Sturdy Yawn Protect :)

Hilomilo

High-low My-low
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Can someone fill me in on what Ampharos does? I've seen it in team previews but have never faced it and am just wondering what its role is in this meta.

dom

Banned deucer.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Calm Nature
- Amnesia
- Charm
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast/Mud Slap/Toxic/Whatever else, really.

Ok, so i would feel really guilty if i didn't post this beast. In ou you'll see clefable a ton, so I decided that since it's so good in ou, it had to be able to to something in 1v1. So I came up with this set.

This beats a ton of stuff. Off the top of the vr I can see it beats Gyara (painful with mudslap), Kyub (if you don't get flinched every time by iron head), most porygon-zs, dragonite, greninja, sometimes mega aggron if you don't get crit (way easier with mudslap), volcanion, sableye, golem, whims, jumpluff, and loads more. It's super customizable too, so I urge you to make the ladder worse by playing with this thing.

With Generation VII around the corner, I believe we may need to reevaluate our banlist's philosophy.

I'm not trying to make any sort of commentary on the brokenness of certain Pokemon, but the very fact that they are allowed is a departure from the policy typically followed by most OMs. I am, of course, referring to the 10 dropped Ubers: Aegislash, Deoxys-Defense, Deoxys-Speed, Genesect, Gengar-Mega, Greninja, Hoopa-Unbound, Landorus, Lucario-Mega, Mawile-Mega.

While I don't find most of these banworthy in 1v1, the fact is that all of them (with the possible exception of Deoxys-Speed, which can still run an extremely effective PP stall set) have established themselves as high-quality Pokemon in the metagame, most notably the S Rank Mawile-Mega and A+ Rank Deoxys-Defense and Greninja, to the point that they are inextricably linked with the metagame and it would look entirely different without them.

Based on the inclusion of this significant number of "low Uber" Pokemon, 1v1 is not really an OU-based metagame, and it's going to be extremely weird if we leave this particular subset of Ubers allowed going into a generation that will likely have a completely different banlist. For instance, if the initial banlist of SM OU contains Deoxys, will we automatically ban it? That would run counter to the general hands-off banning philosophy of XY and ORAS that has allowed us to effectively ignore the goings-on of OU. And will we follow our precedent from this generation and basically stick to the initial SM OU banlist for the entire generation? I'm not necessarily advocating for any particular option, but there should be some clarity as to what the plan is going forward.

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
1v1 is not really an OU-based metagame
Very few OMs are ever built for the purpose of upholding the bans and unbans made by the actual tiers. When we call an OM to be "based" on a certain tier, that means exactly what it should, that the OM is based upon the tier, not that it is drawing policy influence from them, which is why once a steady playerbase has been established for said OM, the influential body leading it can begin to make alterations to what is and isn't allowed given the consent of everyone that participates in the ritual of determining whether those things are to be banned or not. By this logic, it should be understandable why we're unbanning certain Ubers in an OU-based OM if they don't perform as well in the OM as they normally would in normal OU.
But, to be fair, 1v1 really isn't an OU-based metagame, though not for the reasons that you provided. Since usage tiers are given out to Pokemon based on how well or in particular, how often they perform in the 6v6 formats of OU, UU, RU, and the like, they shouldn't really hold much of any relevance to 1v1, since the format is literally 1 Pokemon vs 1 Pokemon.

tl;dr: All OMs have their own versions of usage/viability tiers, and the only reason we "base" them off of the main tiers is because that'd be a heck of a lot easier than creating actual tiers beyond just the vr S-D ranks for every single OM.

Gross Sweep

Plan Ahead
is a CAP Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I don't really care how we initially tier 1v1, because I'm sure it will work itself out (and I'm gonna be addicted no matter what). However, I will say that there are some ubers like aegislash and m-lucario who don't deserve a 1v1 ban. I'd personally prefer if we kept everything consistent with gen 6, and then just added in all the gen 7 mons and let the tier play out from there. Sadly though I'm just a scrub who likes 1v1, and knows nothing about actually organizing a tier so feel free to ignore me if the idea is stupid, or complicated to code.

Very few OMs are ever built for the purpose of upholding the bans and unbans made by the actual tiers. When we call an OM to be "based" on a certain tier, that means exactly what it should, that the OM is based upon the tier, not that it is drawing policy influence from them, which is why once a steady playerbase has been established for said OM, the influential body leading it can begin to make alterations to what is and isn't allowed given the consent of everyone that participates in the ritual of determining whether those things are to be banned or not. By this logic, it should be understandable why we're unbanning certain Ubers in an OU-based OM if they don't perform as well in the OM as they normally would in normal OU.
But, to be fair, 1v1 really isn't an OU-based metagame, though not for the reasons that you provided. Since usage tiers are given out to Pokemon based on how well or in particular, how often they perform in the 6v6 formats of OU, UU, RU, and the like, they shouldn't really hold much of any relevance to 1v1, since the format is literally 1 Pokemon vs 1 Pokemon.

tl;dr: All OMs have their own versions of usage/viability tiers, and the only reason we "base" them off of the main tiers is because that'd be a heck of a lot easier than creating actual tiers beyond just the vr S-D ranks for every single OM.
I don't think this post is entirely fair. You picked out a single 1/4 of a sentence and then acted as though that was the entirety of the substance of my post. At no point did I imply that we need to ban a Pokemon every time one gets banned from OU. In fact, I even went directly against that by suggesting how an OU ban of Deoxys might be problematic for our metagame. Rather, I was pointing out an inconsistency that may make the metagame less accessible to new players, and will be even more of a problem if we were to let it go unchecked by keeping our same bizarre banlist going into an entirely new generation.

That being said, it doesn't seem like we are going to let it go unchecked. We're starting fresh, so there won't be any confusion, at least right away.

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
I don't think this post is entirely fair. You picked out a single 1/4 of a sentence and then acted as though that was the entirety of the substance of my post.
I picked out that portion since that was the only portion I took issue with in your statement.

By this logic, it should be understandable why we're unbanning certain Ubers in an OU-based OM if they don't perform as well in the OM as they normally would in normal OU.
When I said this, I didn't mean to have our bans act in relation to the main tiers' bans, rather the opposite, in that bans and unbans of OMs should act as if they have their own set of tiers with no relation to the main tiers whatsoever, even though they don't. I apologize if this came across as meaning something other than that.

As for the inconsistencies, I don't really anticipate much changing immediately other than the literal changes that gen 7 will implement unless OU doesn't unban things as well as the OMs.

DEG

The night belongs to you
If we do think about it, 1v1 is a metagame that is played on the borderline of Ubers and OU, It doesn't belong in any of these two. it's an own metagame that has its own banlist. I have agreed on starting with the OU banlist because that makes it easier to evaluate Pokemon at first, then start banning and unbanning from there. A lot of work should be done so we can re-balance the tier as fast as possible so we don't end up with ridiculous Pokemon or with a limited amount of Pokemon. The philosophy wasn't put in place at the beginning at Gen 6, but in the end. Gen 7 will be a good place to test it and see if we have some flaws in it.

To not mix everything together, the tiering should contain 3 phases, that we will follow smoothly so we can balance 1v1 and making it available at the start of this generation.

Phase I: The first phase should just focus on quick banning any unhealthy Pokemon that poses a threat to the 1v1 metagame. When fist experiencing the metagame, a user is encouraged to write his opinion on the metagame, nominating a Pokemon that he felt is unhealthy, we will then have a community input, if the majority seems to go with the flaw the Pokemon should be quick banned. A re-evaluation of the Pokemon can be made in the end, to decide whether he should stay banished or given another chance.

Phase II: After banning Pokemon that are unhealthy to the metagame, we will start bringing back Ubers down. Some Pokemon such as Mega Gengar and Mega Lucario will be put down with no input since they were present in the metagame. We will hold discussions about others Ubers Pokemon to determine if they are going to join the ranks of the 1v1 soldiers. We can follow the same road as Phase I, discussions and quick banning then re-evaluating.

Phase III: After a month or so of banning and unbanning Pokemon, we get to the main part of the tiering. This phase will be the one that paints the final banlist, we will go and re-evaluate everything we unbanned and banned and see if they really do deserves the spots they were given. In Phase III, we won't quick ban Pokemon but we will resort to Suspect Tests that should be fast and fun, which makes community input and voting take a major role in deciding the starting ground of the 1v1 metagame.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)