ORAS Doubles Viability Rankings [Nominations]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Regular Manectric is plenty viable as a lightningrod supporter. It's a bit slower than Raichu and also doesn't have Fake Out but it's also considerably more powerful.

then nominate some you grapefruit-loving homosexual

Clefs for C rank

Clefable
  • Unaware is great for giving you turns to deal with +6 Azumarill and can give a crucial turn if you're up against a Kangaskhan that has gotten a free PuP and you need a turn to take care of it
  • Follow Me
  • Access to great moves beyond Follow Me including Thunder Wave, encore, Heal Pulse, Helping Hand, Icy Wind, Ice Beam, Fire Blast, Moonblast, and more
  • is a cutie
Clefairy
  • Same awesome move pool as mama clef
  • Friend Guard (This Pokemon's allies receive 3/4 damage from other Pokemon's attacks)
    • no friend guard does not apply to Clefairy, just teammates
  • With Eviolite is slightly bulkier than Clefable
  • is a cutie

Pastelle

we're all star stuff

Hariyama: C -> C+

Watching everyone use it in the dUUbs minitour made me realize that this sumo-wrestler isn't half bad. Its a cool alternative to other Fake Out leads like Scrafty and Hitmontop, plus Thick Fat and Guts are pretty cool abilities imo. It also has a wider variety of support and coverage options that the previous two examples don't, like Wide Guard, Ice Punch, Bullet Punch, Earthquake, Belly Drum, Ice Punch, etc.

Hariyama: C -> C+

Watching everyone use it in the dUUbs minitour made me realize that this sumo-wrestler isn't half bad. Its a cool alternative to other Fake Out leads like Scrafty and Hitmontop, plus Thick Fat and Guts are pretty cool abilities imo. It also has a wider variety of support and coverage options that the previous two examples don't, like Wide Guard, Ice Punch, Bullet Punch, Earthquake, Belly Drum, Ice Punch, etc.
I'll give you belly drum... But top can use all of those moves too (save belly drum). It isn't necessarily bad and I could see it used as a niche bulky fighting type with fake out for trick room teams, but it definitely isn't any better that top or Scrafty. I personally think that middle C is probably the best placement for it.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I don't particularly care about C rank and below, but here are a few mons that are at least somewhat viable (some more viable than others) and probably deserve to be moved out of E rank into the realms of visibility (plenty of them above C rank, at that):

Niche FM/RP users
Tangela
Electivire
Pachirisu
Magmar
Non-Mega Blastoise

...which got me thinking about other Non-Megas that are definitely viable but only the Mega is ranked
Non-Mega Latias
Non-Mega Manectric
Non-Mega Diancie
Non-Mega Gengar
Non-Mega Scizor

And a few other random ones:
Deoxys-S
Crobat
Rhydon
Raichu
I reckon most of the FM/RP users would go in D rank because they're viable but barely so and that's due to a small niche, possibly in C somewhere. Pachirisu deserves E rank cause it's outclassed by Electivtire (has better bulk and offence, and can afford to tweak its moveset where as Pachirisu will always have the same 4 moves).

In the past I was against ranking Megas/non-megas separately, but now I'm for it. It's standard across the site which makes it easier for people who are already familar with Smogon, and it does give more info about the Pokemon.

Anyways Rhydon for C+ rank

It's a better Lightning Rod user than Rhyperior as it has better bulk thanks to Eviolite, even better than Assualt Vest Lightning Rod Rhyperior (and also gets Protect which is huge when you have 2 4x weaknesses and stay alive to prolong Lightning Rod support).

FYI I use 168 HP / 176 Atk / 164 SpD. For a demonstration of its bulk, 168 HP EVs lets Rhydon avoid a 2HKO from Landorus-T's Earthquake 99.6% of the time. In return, 176 Atk EVs paired with an Adamant nature lets Rhydon OHKO Landorus-T (minus Intimidate) and 4 HP Garchomp with Ice Punch.

It is worse as a Trick Room attacker though, as Rhyperior's higher damage combined with LO and Solid Rock are preferred for that role. That's why I'm giving it the same rank as opposed to B- rank.

Also Musharna C- --> D rank
It has like nothing over Cress. Only very small niches. Like
-slower Speed and higher SpA, which mean little for a support Pokemon. Even here you compete with Reinculus who has even higher SpA
-Telepathy. The only spread move used at higher level play is EQ, and unlike Levitate, it doesn't protect you from your opponent's EQs
-Imprison, which is never used these days
-other negligble niche moves like After You

It's honestly closer to E rank than C- rank. I myself would never use Musharna as Cress has many more advantages

[edit] Tornadus from B- --> C+
Frail and doesn't hit hard without a Defiant boost.
It fairs poorly against the most common set of the most common Intimidator, Scarf Lando-T, which sucks for a Pokemon that's meant to repel Intimidate. It gets OHKOed by Stone Edge or 2HKOed by Rock Slide, and it cannot OHKO back:
+1 252 Atk Tornadus Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 270-318 (84.3 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Bisharp and Milotic do not have these downfalls (Bisharp at least threatens a OHKO on Scarf Lando-T)

Last edited:

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
get them while theyre hot

Mega Heracross to drop to C+:
Meloetta to rise to C:
Clefable to rise to C:
Clefairy to rise to C:
Hariyama to rise to C+:
Rhydon to rise to C+:
Musharna to drop to D:
Tornadus to drop to C+:

Last edited:
Mega Heracross to drop to C+: Yes
Meloetta to rise to C: Yes
Clefable to rise to C: Yes
Clefairy to rise to C: Yes
Hariyama to rise to C+ No
Rhydon to rise to C+ Yes
Musharna to drop to D: Yes
Tornadus to drop to C+: No

Mega Heracross to drop to C+: NO
Meloetta to rise to C: YES
Clefable to rise to C: NO
Clefairy to rise to C: NO
Hariyama to rise to C+: YES
Rhydon to rise to C+: YES
Musharna to drop to D: YES
Tornadus to drop to C+: YES

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Clefairy to rise to C: Yes
Hariyama to rise to C+: Yes
Rhydon to rise to C+: Yes (tbh it should be wherever Rhyperior is)
Musharna to drop to D: No
Tornadus to drop to C+: Yes

Mega Heracross to drop to C+: NO
Meloetta to rise to C: YES
Clefable to rise to C: YES
Clefairy to rise to C: YES
Hariyama to rise to C+: NO
Rhydon to rise to C+: YES
Musharna to drop to D: YES
Tornadus to drop to C+: NO

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Mega Heracross to drop to C+: yes
Meloetta to rise to C: no
Clefable to rise to C: yes
Clefairy to rise to C: yes
Hariyama to rise to C+: yes
Rhydon to rise to C+: yes
Musharna to drop to D: yes
Tornadus to drop to C+: yes

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Mega Heracross to drop to C+: yes see my nomination
Meloetta to rise to C: abstain
Clefable to rise to C: yes unaware is a good ability
Clefairy to rise to C: no the reason i set these two apart in the noms is because i don't think clefairy makes much sense especially when clefable's only merit is unaware
Hariyama to rise to C+: yes although i've only seen it in uu as a tr attacker, i couldnt imagine it being that bad in dubs
Rhydon to rise to C+: yes better bulk than rhyperior at the cost of lower attack, which doesnt really matter that much if you're using it to take hits
Musharna to drop to D: yes outclassed completely by cresselia
Tornadus to drop to C+: yes although its a decent tailwind setter and sexy defiant user, its weak to lando-t. it was a lot better in bw with flying gem

Meloetta to rise to C: yes
Clefairy to rise to C: no

Pastelle

we're all star stuff
Clefairy to rise to C: No
Hariyama to rise to C+: Yes
Rhydon to rise to C+: Abstain
Tornadus to drop to C+: No

Meloetta to rise to C: no

C/P'd from kyle since I agree with everything

Meloetta to rise to C: No
Clefable to rise to C: NO!
Clefairy to rise to C:Double NO !!
Hariyama to rise to C+: Yes, should rise higher IMO
Rhydon to rise to C+: No
Tornadus to drop to C+: Yes

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion

tldr: yes to all lol

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Meloetta to rise to C: no. I think it would be C-. It's difficult to justify its purpose on the team - tanks special attacks and deals good damage in return, but has few resistances (Ghost-immunity is handy, though a better weapon than non-STAB Shadow Ball is desired to take down Aegislash more quickly) and doesn't hit as hard as other Pokemon - in comparison Hydriegon has high base power in Draco Meteor with better coverage and good resistances (which I prefer to Meloetta's bulk). Also keep in mind that Meloetta has only decent physical bulk.
Clefable to rise to C: yes. It's got some pros over Togekiss like no Flying-types weaknesses and Unaware
Clefairy to rise to C: abstain
I'll give you belly drum... But top can use all of those moves too (save belly drum). It isn't necessarily bad and I could see it used as a niche bulky fighting type with fake out for trick room teams, but it definitely isn't any better that top or Scrafty. I personally think that middle C is probably the best placement for it.
You've missed the primary point of Hariyama. It is the combination of help set it up with Fake Out and hitting hard in it (120 base attack + Guts), considerably harder than Top and Scrafty.

I nommed these three:

Hariyama to rise to C+: no

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
Mega Heracross to drop to C+: no

Mega Heracross to drop to C+: no
Musharna to drop to D: no

Meloetta to rise to C:
Clefable to rise to C: No
Clefairy to rise to C: No
Hariyama to rise to C+: No
Rhydon to rise to C+: Yes
Tornadus to drop to C+:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)