ORAS FU Metagame Discussion (old)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does walrein have over lapras? Lapras has better bulk, better offensive presence because of its movepool, and has better support moves with heal bell and perish song.
Walrein's only advantage is Encore. Otherwise, use Lapras. Though Encore may possibly not be worth it...

ummmmmm somebody explain to me how meowstic male is here? I have used it in RU and it is a good replacement for klefki since no klefki is here.

regice >>>> articuno is the big problem. If regice goes, then articuno will probably be pretty decent, but until that point i wouldnt ever use it.
Well... that's relative...

Articuno is slightly bulkier physically (due to a slightly higher HP) and it has a lot more speed... also, Regice took the same whooping 50% from a full set of hazards since every single hazard take it's toll on Regice... Also, Articuno does have an instant recovery and a way to help the team with Defog, Heal Bell, Tailwind, Reflect, Roar and even Haze... i really see Regice only Offensively and Articuno as a defensive and supportive (as ridiculous as it sounds)... Also, even if isn't that powerful, it can use a Priority Ice Shard since it does have a manageable attack and finally... also have U Turn for pivoting...

That's why i don't see Articuno as Outclassed even if it can't fit in some teams...

ummmmmm somebody explain to me how meowstic male is here? I have used it in RU and it is a good replacement for klefki since no klefki is here.
That a poké is in here, doesn't necesarily means that it can't be effectively used in some teams in higher tiers... the problem with Meowstic M is that it doesn't have that Steel-Fairy Typing (that is actually pretty good defensively) and also, doesn't have that many support options as Kelfki (Spikes are almost standard on Klefki)...

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So will there be a special ladder for FU in the future like PU? tennisace very interesting tier
It will probably have to win OM of the month to even consider getting put on the ladder.

Anyways after playing a few matches, I've come to a conclusion that a lot of people are basically just throwing a bunch of S and A Pokemon onto a team and calling it a day. While that's okay I guess (because some of the S rank mons are broke asf) there are so many hidden gems that we just haven't tested yet that are really fucking good. For example, almost 75% of the teams I see are completely molested by this gem:

Arbok @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Coil
- Gunk Shot
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Arbok was a monster in PU last generation, so you can only imagine how deadly it can be in a tier lower than that. Offensively Poison is pretty great typing in FU because it's easily spammable due to the small amount of available Steel-types, and on top of the fact that some of the tier's best physical walls are actually weak to Poison (Gourgeist and Quilladen). Arbok separates itself from the likes of Seviper as a set up sweeper with a fantastic movepool. It also has a great Speed tier of 80 which puts it ahead of a lot of offensive threats. Coil makes it so Arbok can fire off +1 100% accurate Gunk Shots at the opposition, and basically anything that doesn't resist it is easily OHKOed. EQ is great for Klang, Gigalith, Lairon, and Metang who would completely wall this set otherwise. Sucker Punch lets it pick off Swoobat before it can OHKO with Psyshock, as well as sweep weakened offensive teams.

Arbok can also run a really good bulky Coil set with Shed Skin and Rest, but for a more offensive team this set is the way to go. An Adamant nature is recommended because Jolly doesn't let it outspeed anything in particular, and it gives Arbok much needed power. Intimidate gives it more chances to set up on physical attackers, but Shed Skin is still viable if you need something to absorb burns (it can set up on Gourgeist much more reliably too). But yeah this thing is a complete monster, and with hazard support it's very hard to stop once it sets up.

So someone told me FU tier will be made, so yea, deleted the post

Doublade is a decent 'mon to use because it can tabk Thunderbolt from Regice and destroy it at +2, with Gyro Ball + Shadow Sneak, meaning Doublade can wall the best Pokemon of the tier. It can spinblock and is one of the few things that can come in on Zweilous' Outrage and do heavy damage with Gyro Ball. It also is a huge threat to Sticky Web offense because Gyro Ball gets powered up to extreme levels OHKOing crap like Sawsbuck. Also, Doublade's uniques typing lets it wall Sawsbuck and Simisage, 2 incredible attackers atm. It has a huge niche. Try it out. Regice is freakin' broken, pure #broken. It has defensive sets that wall a huge portion of the metagame and its presence makes some pokemon even a liability! The LO Rock Polish set sweeps a ton of the metagame and sets up on a bunch of crap like Simipour. Honestly, just a pain to deal with especially considering 438 Special Bulk... UNIVESTED

Jokes aside. This is a set I used to great effect just because the most common HO teams are Sticky Web or Spikes stacking with our friends Glalie, Dwebble, and/or Quallidan (not a lead but wutev). Anyways, for Sticky Web teams:

Zweilous @ Choice Band
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Facade

This things literally bends stall backwards into a loop. Choice Band Hustle Outrage 2HKOes the whole metagame and OHKOes plenty. Crunch hits Metang and other random crap and is good STAB that hits hard because you don't need to be locked. Superpower finishes off your coverage slamming Gigalith and Regice. Seriosuly, with Sticky Web, Zweilous is the best 'mon to abuse it along with Fraxure. It freakin' hurts and against non-Swoobat offense, they are going to have to have a hard time, especially it resists both snakes' Sucker Punch. Facade is mainly a filler if it gets burned by random Scalds. Normal SPAM is still effective and atleast it hits harder than Crunch.

Sadly, Zweilous's moves only have 80% accuracy. This means that Offensive teams luck shines in the end. However, with that bulk, it can cost a miss or two as shown in this replay where Kushalos used a bulky Eviolite Zweilous against Halcyon. to tank Simisear's Focus Blast and demolish it back with its powerful Crunch. It did nice damage with Outrage, and this wasn't even a Sticky Web team. Under Sticky Web, Zweilous causes extreme problems and can potentially sweep teams. It is the most promising 'mon for Sticky Web teams.

Also, guys try out double snake core using Gary2346 Arbok set along with a Seviper. They break past each others counters along one of them to sweep with Coil. Very cool tier.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey everyone, i was watching/playing some FU games and i found a Pokemon that seems really damn good.

Vigoroth @ Eviolite
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Taunt
- Return
- Slack Off

Bulk Up Vigoroth is an absolute monster imo, and i can easily see it being one of the toughest Pokemon to take out in the entire metagame. Vigoroth's incredible mixed bulk (80/130/105 with Eviolite given the above EV spread) make OHKOing this thing quite the feat (Machoke doesn't even come close with DynamicPunch lol), and because roth has access to reliable recovery it can shrug off most hits quite easily (this is made even easier due to the fact that Vigoroth is fast, like Prankster Sableye it can recover before the opponent can hit it again quite a bit of the time). Needless to say, setting up multiple Bulk Ups with Vigoroth to attempt a sweep is quite easy, and there's really not much the opponent can do about it thanks to one handy tool other Bulky set up mons lack: a fast Taunt. Taunt completely shuts down most methods of beating bulky set up sweepers like Vigoroth (Roar, Whirlwind, Toxic, trying to set up with them etc), and because Vigoroth is so fast it should have no problem outspeeding most Pokemon who would attempt to do so, even uninvested, leaving Vigoroth to set up and sweep in peace unless the opponent has a Pokemon strong enough to break through it (not easy, even if its Eviolite gets Knocked Off roth can still take some strong hits, especially with a few Bulk Ups under its belt) or something like Dragon Tail. Even Pokemon such as Lairon, Gigalith, and Metang *still* lose to Vigoroth 1v1 simply because they can't even come close to breaking through it after a few boosts. Of course running Return as Vigoroth's only attack makes it completely vulnerable to Ghost-types such as Misdreavus and the Gourgeists, but that's what team support is for (Pursuit), and in some cases Vigoroth can still bring the match down to a PP stall war against these.

Last edited:

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Regice is broken.

Façade on Zweilous is meh. As a good filler, just use Return/Frustration so you can 2HKO whichever was Imanalt 's Wigglytuff spread and Cottonee, Aqua Tail to consistently 2HKO Carbink, or Dragon Tail for the aforementioned Druddigon of FU: BU Vigoroth.

As far as I've been playing and testing random things with Gary2346 , Imanalt , Halcyon. , Kushalos and sugarhigh , one thing I want to post here is how good Machoke is. Being one of the, as of yet tested, very few Fighting-types tested in FU, it is not only one of the best answers to common threats such as Krokorok and Scraggy, but also a viable check against Regice (a scarce thing to find in this metagame due the sheer brokeness power and versatility of the Iceberg Pokemon). Machoke's movepool is fantastic, with DynamicPunch giving a powerful STAB and hax chance, and Knock Off to punish Ghost- and Psychic-types that switch into Machoke's STAB (not to mention the extremely nice vantage of removing impotant Eviolites/Leftovers/Black Sludges). Not only those, but Machoke also has priority in Bullet Punch; coverage against Fairies in Poison Jab/Poisons in Earthquake/Bugs in Stone Edge; Encore for trolling; and delicious bulk bolstered by Eviolite that makes Machoke an amazing tank in the FU metagame. Unfortunately, Machoke has no reliable recovery outside RestTalk, being worn down really fast. It's also very slow, often needing Sticky Web/Trick Room to boost its low Speed.

Something else I want to talk about is Trick Room. It completely destroys offense due the relative scarcity of strong priority moves while possessing some of the strongest hitters in FU, my favorite ones being Octillery, Machoke, Lairon, Relicanth, and the one I'm going to talk now, Seviper. Its 100 base on both of its offensive stats (among the highest you can get on FU) are great and so its movepool. On Trick Room, Seviper can go fully mixed with both of its attacking stats maxed and armed with an array of powerful moves such as Sludge Wave, Earthquake, Flamethrower, Giga Drain, Knock Off and Sucker Punch (illegal with Infiltrator tho :L). Seviper also works well under Webs, though it's forced to have the offensive EVs spread in speed, reducing its power greatly.

Last thing to say: Regice is broken. Other than that, FU is extremely fun now. I may do a post later about how Regice is broken buut I'm very sleepy now and for anything ask the people Imentioned since they know how overpowered that thing is in FU.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So far my favorite Pokemon in the tier include Krokorok, Simisear, and Machoke. All three have been working wonders for me. Machoke is a great offensive check to Regice, and has no real safe switch-ins thanks to Dynamic Punch being haxy as shit and Knock Off being able to nearly OHKO Misdreavious. It has the bulk to stand up to many different offensive checks thanks to Eviolite turning it's alright bulk into something pretty formidable. Definitely a great choice for balanced and offensive teams alike. Simisear is fucking disgusting. Nasty Plot with Sub Fire Blast and Focus Blast is what I've been using, but HP Electric also works for Swanna switch-ins. As seen in this replay versus Vertex, it's ridiculously easy to set up on many common leads for offensive teams including sticky web users and Pineco and just sweep. Finally, Krokorok is a really good answer to Swoobat, Misdreavous and Meowstic thanks to Pursuit/Knock Off Mind Games, and can even pull off a sweep late-game thanks to Moxie. The biggets reason to use it, in my opinion, is Arbok, which is one of the biggest threats in the tier at the moment. It resists Sucker Punch, and OHKOs with EQ without any Coil boosts or does about 80% at +1. Probably one of the staple Pokemon on many of my teams at the moment.

Other cool Pokemon I've seen thus far include Scraggy, Meditite, Vigoroth, RP Relicanth, and the aforementioned Misdreavous. Will probably post more on them once I test them some more.

Kushalos

ÜN ÜN ÜN
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
OUPL Champion
So far my favorite Pokemon in the tier include Krokorok, Simisear, and Machoke. All three have been working wonders for me. Machoke is a great offensive check to Regice, and has no real safe switch-ins thanks to Dynamic Punch being haxy as shit and Knock Off being able to nearly OHKO Misdreavious. It has the bulk to stand up to many different offensive checks thanks to Eviolite turning it's alright bulk into something pretty formidable. Definitely a great choice for balanced and offensive teams alike. Simisear is fucking disgusting. Nasty Plot with Sub Fire Blast and Focus Blast is what I've been using, but HP Electric also works for Swanna switch-ins. As seen in this replay versus Vertex, it's ridiculously easy to set up on many common leads for offensive teams including sticky web users and Pineco and just sweep. Finally, Krokorok is a really good answer to Swoobat, Misdreavous and Meowstic thanks to Pursuit/Knock Off Mind Games, and can even pull off a sweep late-game thanks to Moxie. The biggets reason to use it, in my opinion, is Arbok, which is one of the biggest threats in the tier at the moment. It resists Sucker Punch, and OHKOs with EQ without any Coil boosts or does about 80% at +1. Probably one of the staple Pokemon on many of my teams at the moment.

Other cool Pokemon I've seen thus far include Scraggy, Meditite, Vigoroth, RP Relicanth, and the aforementioned Misdreavous. Will probably post more on them once I test them some more.
Prinplup>>>>Krokorok

+6 252+ Atk Linoone Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Vullaby: 220-261 (63.9 - 75.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+6 0 Atk Vullaby Foul Play vs. 160 HP / 0 Def Linoone: 676-796 (200.5 - 236.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Vullaby seems to be one of the few things that can switch into Linoone and actually KO it back without just tanking a hit and getting 2HKO'd. Also fills the defogging role at the same time and has some other decent moves like Whirlwind and Taunt so it seems like it could be a pretty good mon.

METANG IS FINALLY GOOD AGAIN :D

Regice is OP af

Buzz is best scarfer

Monkeys are all pretty strong, mix simisage is really funny to use.

I think I like this tier

(Also sandshrew and tentacool are the best spinners in the tier)

Victreebel @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
- Solarbeam
- Weather Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder

• Due to the weather being nerfed this gen, a lot of Pokemon dropped down tiers ( Like Ninetails and Politoed for example ). Not to mention abilities like Drought and Drizzle being banned in UU and under. Now we players have to waste a stupid slot in trying to support the other members of the team if we want to run a team that benefits from the environment. As what goes in order from what I see most from my own perspective viewpoint, the types of weather I see. Sunny Day, Rain Dance, Sandstorm, and Hail. Apparently we would have one pokemon that's bulky enough to set up hazards and use a weather move and or have a pokemon with Prankster to give the opposing pokemon status problems and set up support for the team preparing to put a huge dent onto the player's pokemon. Also in order to keep the weather going as long as we can, an held item would be wasted upon. Take Heat Rock for example.
  • I would say with the support of weather, Victreebel does a very amazing job in sweeping a team. Both have the ability Chlorophyll, like oh my gosh, Victreebel is strong and can help get rid of those offensive pokemon such as Barbaracle as not much can switch into it without being 2HKOed. Compared to Sawsbuck, Victreebel takes the role hammering holes into the opposing foe. To be honest, Victreebel doesn't need Growth to set up as its better to attack twice. Sleep Powder is more useful overall considering it helps with breaking walls such as Lickylicky. Sludge Bomb is there for STAB allowing for Victreebel and lets it have a usable attacking move outside of the sun. With Solarbeam and Weather Ball having 120 / 100 BP and STAB / pseudo-STAB, not many pokemon can really switch into it as most would be OHKO or 2HKOed. Also most that can switch in just gets put to sleep. Victreebel is huge threat as weather is becoming more useful in the low tiers. I could see it as...A rank at max if not even B+.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-172485305

Last edited:
Hello why tf are Gourgeist-S, Swanna, Misdreavus, Frogadier, Sawsbuck, Kricketune, and Roselia here those are all amazing in PU, especially when slaking of all things isn't

Anyway this looks like a pretty fun tier, I might get into it sometime

Gary

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hello why tf are Gourgeist-S, Swanna, Misdreavus, Frogadier, Sawsbuck, Kricketune, and Roselia here those are all amazing in PU, especially when slaking of all things isn't

Anyway this looks like a pretty fun tier, I might get into it sometime
Funny that basically every pokemon you just listed would probably be gods in FU if it wasn't for the sheer presence of regice. Frogadier for example would be a fantastic offensive pokemon but it's a complete liability against teams that carry regice, seeing as it can't even touch it, so it's actually not that good of a pokemon at the moment. Same with offensive misdreavus, which was considered a huge threat before regice was discovered. Now it's pretty subpar, and the only sets I see these days are the defensive stall breaker sets. Regice is just dumb lol it really needs to leave.

Imanalt

I'm the coolest girl you'll ever meet
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
+6 252+ Atk Linoone Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Vullaby: 220-261 (63.9 - 75.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+6 0 Atk Vullaby Foul Play vs. 160 HP / 0 Def Linoone: 676-796 (200.5 - 236.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Vullaby seems to be one of the few things that can switch into Linoone and actually KO it back without just tanking a hit and getting 2HKO'd. Also fills the defogging role at the same time and has some other decent moves like Whirlwind and Taunt so it seems like it could be a pretty good mon.
Gourgeist is probably decent in this tier, Quilladin can easily take an espeed and phaze linoone out, Lairon as well, and misdreavus can outrun adamant linoone and burn it before it gets a shadow claw off. These are (with the exception of gourd) 'mons i've seen be very effective in fu, i don't see the need to start scraping the barrel for options like vullaby when its already not particularly hard to counter.

I want to express how broken Regice is. Regice has extreme defenses of 80 / 100 / 200 bulk and walls every special attacker in the metagame outside of Nasty Plot Simisear. It completely ruin the viability of Pokemon such as Frogadier (I want to use this), Yanma, Victreebel, Mothim, Offensive Roselia, and making Offensive Misdreavus non-existent now. Regice is changing how the game plays with this facts and not to mention its versatility with 4 sets: Defensive RestTalk, Rock Polish sweeper, Curse sweeper, and BlizzSPAM paired with Snover. Then, you need to deal with the fact that you don't know the set. You can send in an nice boosting allbreaker like SD Raticate or NP Simisear, but if it uses Rock Polish? Raticate is OHKOed and Simisear gets 2HKOed and it proceed to sweep the opponent's team with ease especially considering how good Spikes Glalie is atm because like the whole PU metagame is grounded. The Defensive RestTalk set is amazing for stall teams or something that just want to wall the crap out of things like Swanna, Simipour,... Curse Sweeper will be explained by Don Honchkrorleone, so I won't talk about how broken it is. Overall, Regice is unhealthy to the metagame and it needs to leave.
_______

Anyways, some things that are cool:

Krokorok is a really good 'mon and can pull off Moxie sweeps with ease using Crunch, Knock Off, or Earthquake. Most of the metagame is grounded, so Earthquake is a lot better in FU. It can Knock Off random items and checks Arbok really well, one of the biggest metagame threats. It also has a cool anti-lead set that stops Kricketune in its tracks and 2HKOes it with Earthquake. Seviper is another excellent 'mon because it has one of the highest offensive stats in FU without modifiers (outside of TR Duosion which I want to test) and can form a "double snake" core to wear each others checks and counters down. For example, Krokorok can come in expecting to take an LO Poison Jab, but only come in to be eaten by Giga Drain on the switch, weak enough where Sucker Punch can KO. Congratulations, your opponent has lost their only way to beat Arbok and Arbok can proceed to eliminate the opponent's team. Usually I run all-out mix which Giga Drain / Flamethrower / Sucker Punch / Poison Jab because it has ridiculous coverage. It 3HKOes Defensive Regice iirc and 2HKOes Offensive Regice, so Regice should be careful especially since the Defensive set is a little weak and and the Offensive set can be worn down really easily so Flamethrower + Sucker Punch can pick it off. Regice is still hard to beat, but Seviper has a way to beat it mid-game.

btw Coil is an okay move for it, because you want to abuse all that coverage it has, and sadly, until Sucker Punch + Infilitrator becomes a thing, setting up on Simisear, Hypno, etc won't be a thing. gamefreak pls make it come true D:

Finally, Sticky Web and Spikes offense are the most common offensive playstyles atm. Sticky Web teams have a huge amount of powerful PKMN to pick from - Zweilous, Arbok, Sawsbuck, Raticate, Relicanth, Fraxure, the 3 monkeys, Machoke, Swanna, and Swoobat. Zweilous is the most notable, OHKOing pretty much the whole metagame and 2HKOing practically everything on stall teams. Sawsbuck is simply amazing. It sets up SD and demolishes the opponent and can easily beat Gigalith with Horn Leech while recovering all prior damage. Raticate hits like a truck after an SD. Even without the boost, it 2HKOes 252 / 252+ Regice! Raticate is probably the best wallbreaker right now. Relicanth hits like a truck and Spikes teams, the Rock Polish set can clean effectively. The 3 monkeys and Machoke have been discussed. I want to say Swoobat is probably one of the few 'mons that can break past Regice along with Simisear. Why? Calm Mind boosts Swoobat's Special Defense 2 stages and 4 stages if you account the switch. Swoobat is fast as heck and being immune to Sticky Web is even better & easily the best anti- and glue Sticky Web 'mons in FU. Spikes offense is another cool playstyle that relies on Glalie or Dwebble leads. Glalie can get 1 layer of Spikes at least, while Taunting lead Tune and 2HKOing it with Ice Beam. Glalie also has access to Torment meaning that lead Krokorok won't be able to get no Moxie boosts and gets even weaker if it decides to stay with Struggle meaning Sucker Punch will be more of threat after a Coil boost because it will be at almost half next time it comes in to check Arbok. Glalie is an excellent Spikes lead. Dwebble can set up SR + Spikes and this little creature is an option not to mention it has a chance Rock Blast Tune to death because it is obviously going to Taunt you meaning Sticky Web is gone and it dismantles the opponent whole team outside of the monkeys and Swoobat. Spikes is really good especially since the whole metagame is grounded.

Swanna is a really good Defog user for standard SR teams because it reliably removes hazards without being set up bait. It has Roost to Defog through out the match just in case they are using defensive Quilladan. Swanna's Defog removes your own hazards as well, which sucks which is why these archetypes don't use it.

Also, has anyone noticed how removing enemy hazards while keeping your own with Rapid Spin is nearly impossible. For rapid spin, you need to use obscure, weak, frail crap that can't beat any of the spinblockers. Drillbur has a chance against Honedge, but it can just Shadow Claw + Shadow Sneak it to death with prior damage or if Sticky Web is on your side of the field, Gyro Ball is just tooo strong for it to handle. Drillbur can't beat Midreavus obviously which is the more common spinblocker. Staryu loses to both Honedge and Misdreavus and lol Delibird is just shit even though I have never tested it. Sticky Web teams can thus "cancel" each other out meaning your basically playing 5-5 instead of 6-6. Spikes Offense is different because it depends who wins the speed tie for Taunting in Glalie mirror match ups. Glalie beats Dwebble anyways and can SPAM Spikes till it dies and Ice Beam it to break Sturdy and Dwebble will be useless. Dwebble has its perks though.

Finally, Fraxure is freakin' OP. It sets up Dragon Dance and sweeps everything and can set up on walls with Taunt and everything dies to Outrage with Low Kick covering Steel-types like Regice. Wigglytuff is like the only thing that can beat it, but noone uses it an Poison Jab is a thing. Swords Dance + Sticky Web is really good too. That's all I have to say from recent testing.
tl;dr

Regice is broken and needs to leave. Krokorok is like a glue 'mon and staple for offense. Sticky Web and Spikes offense are the most reliable playstyles. Arbok is really good and underprepared for and Seviper is around the same level. SD Raticate, CB Zweilous, SD Sawsbuck, CM Swoobat, CB Relicanth, monkeys, Machoke, and snakes are best for Sticky Web Offense. Spikes Offense is really good too. Swanna is best Defog user. Two sticky web teams can cancel each other out, and all the rapid spinners suck.
Also, I am reposting Gary2346 Viability Ranking Thread because I think we need more contribution for this. So, CLICK HERE

Last edited:

Imanalt

Ok so you have some good points in here, but you're also talking about some silly things. Sticky web and spikes offense are actually struggling a lot in this meta, because regice isnt a very good fit on either of those archetypes, and not having your own regice really hurts. The meta as i'm seeing it right now is a very high percentage bulky offense, with some stall mixed in. I agree that i think seviper is a decent mon, but i struggle to agree with running a double snake core in this meta, as bulky offense needs more defensive synergy. Seviper also cant do shit to regice, especially the defensive set.
252+ SpA Expert Belt Seviper Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Regice: 118-139 (32.4 - 38.1%)
Thats not even killing through rest talk + lefties, and meanwhile you take a nice chunk from its ice beam.
252+ SpA Regice Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Seviper: 204-240 (71 - 83.6%)
Against offensive sets you fare a bit better, as you do ~40% to it with flamethrower, but depending on your spread it may outrun and just ohko you with life orb ice beam.

Then your point about spinners. I agree, spinners are not very good overall in the tier, but tentacool is actually really effective on stall. Beating spinblockers isn't really relevant when the only ghost anyone is running is misdreavus, and thats only run pretty rarely (although lampent has started to get picked up a bit, and looks pretty solid, and vigoroth may push for a lot more ghosts, but forecasting where a meta will go is always pretty iffy).

Ok so you have some good points in here, but you're also talking about some silly things. Sticky web and spikes offense are actually struggling a lot in this meta, because regice isnt a very good fit on either of those archetypes, and not having your own regice really hurts. The meta as i'm seeing it right now is a very high percentage bulky offense, with some stall mixed in. I agree that i think seviper is a decent mon, but i struggle to agree with running a double snake core in this meta, as bulky offense needs more defensive synergy. Seviper also cant do shit to regice, especially the defensive set.
252+ SpA Expert Belt Seviper Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Regice: 118-139 (32.4 - 38.1%)
Thats not even killing through rest talk + lefties, and meanwhile you take a nice chunk from its ice beam.
252+ SpA Regice Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Seviper: 204-240 (71 - 83.6%)
Against offensive sets you fare a bit better, as you do ~40% to it with flamethrower, but depending on your spread it may outrun and just ohko you with life orb ice beam.

Then your point about spinners. I agree, spinners are not very good overall in the tier, but tentacool is actually really effective on stall. Beating spinblockers isn't really relevant when the only ghost anyone is running is misdreavus, and thats only run pretty rarely (although lampent has started to get picked up a bit, and looks pretty solid, and vigoroth may push for a lot more ghosts, but forecasting where a meta will go is always pretty iffy).
Yea, good point for Seviper.

I forgot about Tentacool because I never saw it until after I made this post. My point was the spinners are dead weight in the metagame because they are frail as all hell and are set bait for sweepers like SubNP Simisear, SubCM Swoobat, etc. but yea, lampent seems p. good. Don Honchkrorleone used it against me and it walls a bunch of shit like aforementioned simisear. tentacool seems like solid choice

lampent has picked up in usage i agree because it can wall simisear and sawsbuck, 2 s rank threats and come in on things like roselia with ease

lol I just noticed that 4/6 of my PU sun team is legal here, and the two mons that aren't are easily replaceable. especially with no Sneasel here it would be pretty ridiculous, I wish I could try it out but I can't really with no computer ;_;

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey everyone, i just wanted to leave this replay here :).

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-172639096

This replay really demonstrates how scary Vigoroth can be. it sweeps imanalt's team pretty cleanly after a few boosts, gets past a Lairon by PP stalling it out of Head Smashes (cool mon btw), and still ends up sweeping quite easily even with its Eviolite Knocked Off, still being able to take Simisear's Focus Blast for only around 60% when Imanalt attempted to revenge kill viggy. What a monster x.x

IM excited for FU. im going to try yanma. this tier is going to make yanma shine. im going to love sweeping with it. im also trying to use prinplup as a defogger. this tier is very interesting. so yah anyone wanna challenge me?

Gary

IM excited for FU. im going to try yanma. this tier is going to make yanma shine. im going to love sweeping with it. im also trying to use prinplup as a defogger. this tier is very interesting. so yah anyone wanna challenge me?
Any special attacker that lacks a setup move and something to hit regice for super effective damage is unfortunately not going to be sweeping 90% of the time, especially yanma considering how it dies to ice beam and is already kind of weak to start with.

Imanalt

Also NP Misdreavus is a monster
other than the fact regice usage is like 80% :(

np missy is one of those mons (like the grass and water monkeys) that im really excited about the potential of once we actually ban regice

antemortem

THE ORIGINAL DAVE
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
yanma is yet another special sweeper that is stunted by the unbreakable menace known as regice, as stated above

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)