Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

Ok so I'm rather a newbie at this whole competetive thing. I trained my Dragonite, IVs, EVs, 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 Def. Almost perfect right? Unfortunetly I didnt pay attention to his ability and I got Inner focus Dragonite. So here is my question. Is he viable or complete crap and I have to grind for an ability capsule? What item and moveset would you guys suggest on this buddy?

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ok so I'm rather a newbie at this whole competetive thing. I trained my Dragonite, IVs, EVs, 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 Def. Almost perfect right? Unfortunetly I didnt pay attention to his ability and I got Inner focus Dragonite. So here is my question. Is he viable or complete crap and I have to grind for an ability capsule? What item and moveset would you guys suggest on this buddy?
Inner Focus is inviable and just leaves it entirely outclassed by MegaZard X and even the shitmon Salamence. Also iirc Ability Capsules don't allow you to change to a hodden ability, so you'll need to re-breed it to get Multiscale.

If Scald, Stealth Rock and Thunder Wave were to be banned (I'm not suggesting a ban, it's pure curiosity), which Pokemon and playstyles would benefit from this change the most? And which ones would be crippled the most?

If Scald, Stealth Rock and Thunder Wave were to be banned (I'm not suggesting a ban, it's pure curiosity), which Pokemon and playstyles would benefit from this change the most? And which ones would be crippled the most?
Birdspam would be a thing, and T-flame would be incredibly good. bulky waters like suicune, slowbro, and (in lower tiers) milotic would all take a hit, as would keld. Starmie would loose a ton of prominence in particular because RS becomes less useful. without t-wave, thundy would be much worse, and DD zard X (possibly m-alt) would stomp all over the tier again. without rocks, it would be ridiculously easy to get in and set up. you'd just have to scout for scarfers. M-sableye would drop precipitously, and m-diancie might drop a bit too. kyu-b would be much harder to wear down without SR chip damage. Then, there would be a lot of SR pokes that would loose prominence. Despite loosing t-wave, Klifi would probably remain where it is because everyone would want prankster spikes. RP m-metagross would be much better without scald and t-wave.
Anyways, just a few of my thoughts

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
Is Yawn a decent option on Hippowdon? My team gets wrecked by MZor and I don't like phazing that much so...
Why dont you like phazing? Whirlwind reliably makes sure the scizor is forced out and stops it from setting up. Yawn works similarly but is much less optimal because you need to risk taking 2 turns worth of damage rather than just one. Also if the opponent has more than one setup sweeper, and they fodder one to sleep, the sleep clause prevents you from forcing the next one out; this can be problematic because the opponent can safely set up and sweep your team without fear of being forced out by whirlwind. So I would say no, whirlwind is much better overall.

First of all I haven't been around in a while and I suspect some of you old hats have changed your names so if anyone that I should probably know about has a different name now than, say, 4 years ago then please let me know.

Which brings us nicely to the next question, completely unrelated to forum names and completely related to battling Pokemon: What are the 2 or 3 best hazard setters right now? I'm talking about SR and Spikes, and needs to be something threatening that can actually hurt spinners/defoggers so they can't just come in and rapid spin in your face. Needs to be kinda bulky too to able to come in, threaten to set hazards or hit hard time and again. This is for a potential troll team that's gonna reintroduce pokemon to me so be under no illusions of the gravity of this task! Thank you and god bless.

without t-wave, thundy would be much worse, and DD zard X (possibly m-alt) would stomp all over the tier again.
lol i dont get this. thund and random wave were popular at the time zard x was god (which it still is tbf). there are other ways to beat zard than just hoping to catch it with superrandom wave on a lure or thund and klef.

kinda feel like para (especially on thund and clef) is a seriously broken aspect of this game, and a meta without its cross-ur-fingers-n-pray bullshit would be far superior to the one we have now but w/e

e: what i mean by the last part is not that we should test or ban para/wave, but that the mechanic of para itself is overkill with the chance to do absolutely nothing for a turn, or 5... u've all been in the beam starmie vs thund scenario and been fucked by full para. that shouldn't exist

n.n rattata

Banned deucer.
First of all I haven't been around in a while and I suspect some of you old hats have changed your names so if anyone that I should probably know about has a different name now than, say, 4 years ago then please let me know.

Which brings us nicely to the next question, completely unrelated to forum names and completely related to battling Pokemon: What are the 2 or 3 best hazard setters right now? I'm talking about SR and Spikes, and needs to be something threatening that can actually hurt spinners/defoggers so they can't just come in and rapid spin in your face. Needs to be kinda bulky too to able to come in, threaten to set hazards or hit hard time and again. This is for a potential troll team that's gonna reintroduce pokemon to me so be under no illusions of the gravity of this task! Thank you and god bless.
Helmet Lando-t punishes spinners, p bulky, reliable rocker. You could run sd to help beat bulkier teams, and when they defog/spin, you get a free sd.
Edit: For spikes Ferrothorn, they take dmg if they try to spin, also p bulky and you could run protect for scouting. Now, for defog, you try to pull off a successful switch to gain momentum.

Thanks ratata, I'm considering lando and klefki as the reliable hazard setters but ferro looks very nice too! On a slightky related note, are there any tried and trusted offensive cores built around M-diancie? I'm just trying to build a team around an old trolly set from gen 4 and have some fun.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks ratata, I'm considering lando and klefki as the reliable hazard setters but ferro looks very nice too! On a slightky related note, are there any tried and trusted offensive cores built around M-diancie? I'm just trying to build a team around an old trolly set from gen 4 and have some fun.
M Diancie+Bisharp, Talonflame+M Diancie, and probably a few others that I'm not thinking of are all really solid cores.

n.n rattata

Banned deucer.
The post above, has some good cores. I like to use something that benefits from magic bounce, hazards staying away, like Talon for example.

Got a local tournament coming up this weekend and i'm looking for some help setting up a team comp. It's OU tier listing without using legendarys and no double items.

My core is: Mega Houndoom and Gyarados. As ithas excellent synergy with Mega Houndoom and is able to set up on a bunch of switch-ins to Mega Houndoom. Mega Houndoom is also able to deal with Ferrothorn, a Pokemon that walls Gyarados.

If anyone can help me piece together another 4 pokemon to go with these i'd muchly appreciate it. I've tried a few different things on showdown and just getting stomped. Remember no double items or Legendarys. PM me if you have some helpful advice / Team comps will save clutter here.

hey, could anyone please pass me the import of that colbur berry jellicent team that was used in the SPL? i heard people saying that there is a really good jelli + aero hazards team and i'd like to try it out

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Would a defensive (Mega) Tyranitar set have any merit on stall? I mean when looking at it in its base form the defenses aren't bad combined along with the Sandstorm boost and the mega form has an even bigger boost to its defenses. If said set were to be ran I think it would be something like Stealth Rock, Taunt, Pursuit, and Stone Edge. I know it has a lot of weaknesses but could this be viable or just a really bad experiment?

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
why wouldn't you just run defensive mega ttar+a mega that is significantly better than its base form like zardx, mvenu, or msab?

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Would a defensive (Mega) Tyranitar set have any merit on stall? I mean when looking at it in its base form the defenses aren't bad combined along with the Sandstorm boost and the mega form has an even bigger boost to its defenses. If said set were to be ran I think it would be something like Stealth Rock, Taunt, Pursuit, and Stone Edge. I know it has a lot of weaknesses but could this be viable or just a really bad experiment?
If you're using it on a team that has no mega on it+defensive Tyranitar then its probably a good idea to give it a mega stone unless you desparately need Chople due to a team weakness or something as defensive Mega T-Tar is just a direct upgrade over defensive Tyranitar imo. Its probably not worth it outside of that scenario though.

What is the definition of legendaries they are using? Just box legends? Does it include event mons like keldeo? What about stuff like zapdos?
Pretty much any of the legendaries cannot be used. It's to make things more noob friendly, So that includes all event and ingame caught legendaries. So its why im struggling to get a well rounded team sorted haha.

Got a local tournament coming up this weekend and i'm looking for some help setting up a team comp. It's OU tier listing without using legendarys and no double items.

My core is: Mega Houndoom and Gyarados. As ithas excellent synergy with Mega Houndoom and is able to set up on a bunch of switch-ins to Mega Houndoom. Mega Houndoom is also able to deal with Ferrothorn, a Pokemon that walls Gyarados.

If anyone can help me piece together another 4 pokemon to go with these i'd muchly appreciate it. I've tried a few different things on showdown and just getting stomped. Remember no double items or Legendarys. PM me if you have some helpful advice / Team comps will save clutter here.
Just use Weavile Stall and spare yourself the headache :-)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)