Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, I have a question myself. It's a bit of a probability math I am confused about. I'll admit, I'm not that good when it comes down to math, so I might assume the wrong thing. When a pokemon is infatuated, it has a 50 % chance of not attacking. When being confused, it also has a 50 % chance of not attacking. I have learned that when chances are seperate of one another, they can be added up with each other (P(X)+P(Y)= P(X OR Y). Would this mean that when a pokemon is infatuated and confused, it has a 100 percent chance of not attacking?
It doesn't work like that in this case; you're looking at it as if there are only two possibilities; there are three (attacks, does not attack due to attraction, attacks self). The probability is multiplicative. Therefore:

(P(X)*P(Y)) is how you look at it; the probability that you will be confused this turn times the probability that you will be infatuated this turn.

You've got a 25% chance of attacking under these conditions and a 75% chance of being confused or infatuated (which one is more likely is entirely dependent on which one the game processes first, which I don't know).

I probably derped out and did something backwards. I'm actually not super good at statistics.

I'm making a lower-tier Sun team on cart for wifi battles and I'm wondering what is the recommended number of sun setters for a dedicated weather team? I have Regirock and Uxie as my main setters (both holding heat rock) as they have good defensive synergy and bulk. Is this enough sun support or should I put sunny day on another of my pokemon for more guaranteed sun?

I was looking at the scizor thread and couldn't find any defog build. When I was looking through the reply's I saw that there had been one, but that it was removed for some reason. Why was it removed? And does this mean that smogon considers defog as not allowed in OU? I just got a perfect IV technician scyther with defog from a trade so I'm curious about this. Thanks in advance for an answer!

BurningMan

fueled by beer
I was looking at the scizor thread and couldn't find any defog build. When I was looking through the reply's I saw that there had been one, but that it was removed for some reason. Why was it removed? And does this mean that smogon considers defog as not allowed in OU? I just got a perfect IV technician scyther with defog from a trade so I'm curious about this. Thanks in advance for an answer!
No Defog Scizor is allowed and viable look here for more details: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/scizor-qc-0-3.3495130/

Scizor wasn't able to have Defog in X/Y until Pokébank opened up. The Scizor thread and Scizor's X/Y preview were both written with the pre-Pokébank metagame in mind, so the Defog set was removed as it was unobtainable.

If Greninja would ever use Hidden Power, what kind of type would be viable and for what purpose?
HP Fire is the Hidden Power type I've seen the most, used for punishing stuff like Scizor or Ferrothorn that have a crippling Fire Weakness, or just to punish things that Hydro Pump + Ice Beam doesn't hit Super Effectively, such as Steel Types.

Edit: Greninja'd, dang.

How is Blaze Blaziken uber? I mean blaziken in general has all these checks and counters para hax, talonflame, Jellicent, Azumarill, Topsy turvy, Clear smog. all these things destroy blaziken. and why are complex bans so bad? I mean its just one complex ban, just make him useable in lower tiers.

How is Blaze Blaziken uber? I mean blaziken in general has all these checks and counters para hax, talonflame, Jellicent, Azumarill, Topsy turvy, Clear smog. all these things destroy blaziken. and why are complex bans so bad? I mean its just one complex ban, just make him useable in lower tiers.
Because Smogon does not resort to Complex Bans unless it's absolutely necessary. Blaziken is banned because of Speed Boost, and I doubt people want this to be present: "You can use Blaziken so long as it dosen't have Speed Boost." The fact that Blaze Blaziken wouldn't contribute much to the tiers because the fact that Infernape exists means it's unlikely that Smogon will do a complex ban just to make Blaziken fanboys happy, besides, you gotta keep in mind that if Blaze Blaziken were to be unleashed from Ubers that would make Mega Blaziken usable as well, who also has Speed Boost, so it'd just be a big can of worms and a headache to release Blaziken from Ubers, so it's very unlikely it will ever happen.

Because Smogon does not resort to Complex Bans unless it's absolutely necessary. Blaziken is banned because of Speed Boost, and I doubt people want this to be present: "You can use Blaziken so long as it dosen't have Speed Boost." The fact that Blaze Blaziken wouldn't contribute much to the tiers because the fact that Infernape exists means it's unlikely that Smogon will do a complex ban just to make Blaziken fanboys happy, besides, you gotta keep in mind that if Blaze Blaziken were to be unleashed from Ubers that would make Mega Blaziken usable as well, who also has Speed Boost, so it'd just be a big can of worms and a headache to release Blaziken from Ubers, so it's very unlikely it will ever happen.
no it wouldn't because the item would be banned as well because of speed boost. -_-

no it wouldn't because the item would be banned as well because of speed boost. -_-
The fact remains that it would just make more Suspects/Quick Bans arise, Smogon dosen't do Complex Bans unless absolutely necessary, and the fact that in this case it is not necessary to release Blaze Blaziken from Ubers, the likelyhood of it ever happening is slim to none. People have asked the same question quite a number of times, and in the past and for the foreseeable future, they have received the same answer.

The fact remains that it would just make more Suspects/Quick Bans arise, Smogon dosen't do Complex Bans unless absolutely necessary, and the fact that in this case it is not necessary to release Blaze Blaziken from Ubers, the likelyhood of it ever happening is slim to none. People have asked the same question quite a number of times, and in the past and for the foreseeable future, they have received the same answer.
they cant keep ignoring complex bans. sooner or later they are gonna make them. but right now even if they wanted to they don't have the guts to do so because they are so scared of complex banning shit.

they cant keep ignoring complex bans. sooner or later they are gonna make them. but right now even if they wanted to they don't have the guts to do so because they are so scared of complex banning shit.
Smogon seems to have done fine without complex bans, so you're going to have to provide some reasons that this policy should change. Your assertions are without evidence.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You asked that question before. And I answered you.

it's not the ability itself that's broken, it's the pokemon as a whole with the ability. Smogon wants to avoid bans or complex bans as much as possible, so instead of banning a not-broken ability on a not-broken Pokemon that happens to make said Pokemon broken, they ban the Pokemon as a whole. For example, if Blaze 'Kin was allowed in lower tiers then so should non-Drizzle and non-Drought Politoed and Ninetales in 5th gen, since they were obviously bottom-tier NU before they got their weather abilities.
Blaziken is fucking banned and it won't be unbanned, fucking get over it.​

How is level 80 Kyogre Uber? I mean Kyogre in general has all these checks and counters like Latias, Kingdra, Blissey, Thunder. All these things beat Kyogre easily. We should unban Kyogre as long as it is under level 80, it's just one complex ban, he should be usable in OU.

I feel pretty dumb asking this, but how do you put stuff in the little hide/unhide tabs? This isn't really a competative question, but oh well.

I have a huge doubt regarding breeding. I have a Pokémon that has 8 possible egg moves. Each parente has 4 of them. How do I know which egg moves the Pokémon will be born with? Is there any way to control it? Or is it a lottery? Thanks a lot.

You asked that question before. And I answered you.
Blaziken is fucking banned and it won't be unbanned, fucking get over it.​
I think the easiest way to say it is just to point out that a community formed more or less entirely of competitive-type players is by definition full of people who will also vigorously defend their own viewpoints. The clusterf%*& of competing arguments that is the current Suspect Test topic (especially with regards to MLuke) can attest to that.

If they started allowing complex bans, the problem wouldn't be that people would start introducing "Level 80 Kyogre is not broken in OU" arguments, the problem would be that nobody could agree on exactly how to ban any given thing. It's a damned miracle that a functional system capable of extracting a consistent and clear up-or-down vote from this group of people has emerged.

I have a huge doubt regarding breeding. I have a Pokémon that has 8 possible egg moves. Each parente has 4 of them. How do I know which egg moves the Pokémon will be born with? Is there any way to control it? Or is it a lottery? Thanks a lot.
There is a fixed order of move inheritance for babies. In this case, it will have the mother's 4 egg moves. I believe though that the father's egg moves will be available from the move relearner in X and Y, but don't quote me on this because I have not tested it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)