Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there rules on Pokebank OU? I tried making a team but it wont let me use Dragonite or Swampert and also says certain moves can't be used like ExtremeSpeed on Dnite.

Edit: Specifically it says this:

- Swampert (Swampert) is unreleased. - Swampert can't learn Earthquake because it's not possible to transfer pokemon from earlier games to XY yet (Pokébank comes out in December). - Swampert can't learn Ice Punch because it's not possible to transfer pokemon from earlier games to XY yet (Pokébank comes out in December). - Swampert can't learn Waterfall because it's not possible to transfer pokemon from earlier games to XY yet (Pokébank comes out in December). - Swampert can't learn Stealth Rock because it's not possible to transfer pokemon from earlier games to XY yet (Pokébank comes out in December). - Dragonite can't learn Extreme Speed because it's not possible to transfer pokemon from earlier games to XY yet (Pokébank comes out in December).

Edit 2: disregard, i did something to make it work.

Last edited:
I'm breeding a Modest Moody Octillery. I know Moody is banned competitively, but I might be interesting to use it in the Battle Maison or maybe even on Wi-Fi. I don't want to rely solely on Evasion boosts, though. Now my question: should I invest in Hp/Sp.Atk or Sp.Atk and Spe?
Already hatched one. Any movepool suggestions?

Why aren't kangashkhanite and gengarite banned yet??
Only obvious suspects that are totally broken have been quick-banned (Blaziken, Skymin, and Deoxys-N). Suspect testing will begin once the metagame has settled down

What IVs do I need for the strongest Hidden Power Ice (60 base power, right?) I can get for this gen?
Iirc its 30 Atk / 30 Def with the rest perfect or just 30 Spe

Last edited:
I have been wanting to use Talonflame and dugtrio together but i am not sure what to use with it
A special attacker—a Water-resistant one, if possible—is what I'd recommend (specifically Rotom-W if you can bother getting one). This is assuming you're using a three-mon team, so if you're going six-mon, this advice might not be as practical.
How can I get a Protean Froakie without using the Friend Safari?
There is no legal way. Either find a Friend Safari (this thread might help) or get one via trade.

Last edited:
Is the secondary Kalos starter that you get from Shauna at the first moment of post-game fixed? I'm hoping it's possible to get a female one, but it might not be possible, given the number of traded/gifted Pokémon in the game that seem to have set statistics.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Why aren't kangashkhanite and gengarite banned yet??
Because the tier leaders do not believe them to be broken as of yet. Kanga is unlikely regardless of what happens (as there is a whole slew of fighting moves which can wreck it), but I do know Gengarite is likely for the chopping block.

Is the secondary Kalos starter that you get from Shauna at the first moment of post-game fixed? I'm hoping it's possible to get a female one, but it might not be possible, given the number of traded/gifted Pokémon in the game that seem to have set statistics.
As far as I am aware they are and they have a perfect IV in Att for Chespin, Spcl Att for Fennekin and Speed for Froakie.

Fire fang or iron head on swords dance/play rough/sucker punch/----/ mega mawile?

Iron head for STAB or fire fang for coverage which would be preferred more?

Fire fang or iron head on swords dance/play rough/sucker punch/----/ mega mawile?
Iron head for STAB or fire fang for coverage which would be preferred more?
http://pokemondb.net/tools/type-coverage is a fun little tool. On the upside, Fire/Fairy/Dark and Steel/Fairy/Dark are both completely unresisted sets, according to the tool!

That means, to me, you need to consider two things.
What are Megamaw's biggest counters?

Which of the two are better at wiping out those counters?

I'm really not sure about it, to be honest, because I think the answer speaks more to your team and what kind of threats you need SE coverage on. My team is a bit Rock-weak and Flying-weak, for example, so I'd probably run Iron Head to bash through those threats for my other pokemon. If your team, on the other hand, is really heavily walled by bulky Steels, you'd probably want Fire Fang so your Maw can bust up a Ferrothorn or snatch a Skarmory out of the sky.

I'd say to evaluate based on the coverage they bring, though, and not on Iron Head's STAB. Play Rough hits harder and is probably a better coverage move against anything not named Heatran, and you don't have to worry about those yet. There are few Poison-types or Fire-types in regular use with the bulk to stand up to even resisted Play Roughs from MegaMawile's attack score.

Hi guys, I'm new to competitive battling and I managed to breed 2 Perfect 5 IV rotoms (all but attack). They are both calm nature. In terms of EVs, I know that I want them to have 252HP, but I'm not sure how to distribute the defenses, whether to have full EV investment in one or the other or half in both.

The sets I want to run are:
Rotom Wash with Chesto Berry
Hydro Pump
Volt Switch
Will O Wisp
Rest

Rotom Heat with Chesto Bery
Overheat
Volt Switch
Will O Wisp
Rest

Hi guys, I'm new to competitive battling and I managed to breed 2 Perfect 5 IV rotoms (all but attack). They are both calm nature. In terms of EVs, I know that I want them to have 252HP, but I'm not sure how to distribute the defenses, whether to have full EV investment in one or the other or half in both.
For rotom wash, max HP, 28 special attack EVs and the rest should go in special defense to help it take hits. The 28 SpA EVs are for the ability to OHKO gliscor with hydro pump

For rotom Heat, a 248HP, 8Def and 252Sdef is your best bet. 248 rounds down stealth rock damage, max special defence again, and the rest in defence, for u turns and stuff.

For rotom wash, max HP, 28 special attack EVs and the rest should go in special defense to help it take hits. The 28 SpA EVs are for the ability to OHKO gliscor with hydro pump

For rotom Heat, a 248HP, 8Def and 252Sdef is your best bet. 248 rounds down stealth rock damage, max special defence again, and the rest in defence, for u turns and stuff.
Thank you :)

Alright dumb question. When an attack lowers the users stats after use (like Draco Meteor), do those stat decreases go away if it switches out? Or do they last for the remainder of the battle.

What happens to your Friend Safari if you play your game in a different 3DS?
your Freind Safari is based on your 3ds FC,hence changing your 3ds will change your Friend Safari. However the safari of other people(ie the pokemon you see in the safari) will remain same assuming you have the same friend list in the other ds.

Alright dumb question. When an attack lowers the users stats after use (like Draco Meteor), do those stat decreases go away if it switches out? Or do they last for the remainder of the battle.
All stat changes reset on switching out.

Thank you!

I have one more question I just remembered, slightly less obvious.

If I EV train a pokemon and it is level adjusted to 50 for a battle, will its stats reflect growth as though the EVs had been applied at level 1? Also, will this work any differently if I take a pokemon that is above level 50, apply a Reset Bag and then distribute EVs in a different way?

I'm basically wondering exactly how EVs are applied and how it plays out in level adjusted matches. Is it possible that when I put a fully EV trained Lv50 pokemon into a battle that fixes level at 50, his stats will actually change? Just want to make sure I'm not training pokemon in a way that's shortchanging me on stats.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)