Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been getting slapped around by toxic orb gliscors lately. What is a good counter to him or physical walls in general?
Anything with taunt and is immune/resists earthquake.

Skarmory is an excellent switchin as gliscor can generally do nothing to it. Mons like gyarados, lati@S twins, rotom-W, slowbro etc can all switch in on anything but toxic and defeat gliscor.

In general, prey on gliscors low special defence.

Just fought a team with Sub/Protecting Speed Boost Ninjask, Acid Armoring Vaporeon, and Calm Minding Espeon constantly baton passing their boosts without letting me get a hit in because they were too fast.

Yup, that's fair.
Quick Attack, Bullet Punch, Extremespeed, Aqua Jet, Ice Shard, Mach Punch, Vacuum Wave, Shadow Sneak. Gale Wings. Tailwind. Speed boosts don't mean anything if you have a Pokémon that runs priority. If you have no priority users in your entire party, you're probably well and truly hosed, regardless of whether the opponent uses Speed Boost or not.

Taunt. Stops all non-attack moves, preventing further stat boosts.
Chip Off. Unaware. Critical hits. All bypass the defensive boosts obtained.
Haze, Roar, Whirlwind, Dragon Tail, Circle Throw. All remove the Pokémon from play, losing them their boosts. Hazing or pseudo-hazing is another strategy you need to be aware of. Baton Pass chains are incredibly weak because, like any chain, if you break a link, the chain fails. You need the tools, yes, but you should have those tools prepared anyway. Ninety percent of the sweepers in the game run a stat-boosting move, and Dragon Dance and Quiver Dance are still extremely popular, since they boost both speed and attacking stats. You need to be prepared to deal with setup-sweepers.

Also, there are ways around every Pokémon that is stopping you. If Vaporeon uses Acid Armor, that's a turn where it can't Baton pass out the stats, and can't hit you. You can take that turn to set up yourself, or to pull in another Pokémon to stop their team. You have team preview, you know what they're using. You need to know what your opponent can do, and what they're weak against. As soon as they went from Ninjask to an Acid Armor Vaporeon, that's a clear indication that you're probably facing a Baton Pass team. They'll be weak against Special Attacks before they get a Calm Mind booster in, so switch in or set up a Special Attacker. Either slam Vaporeon, or predict the Baton Pass and pick a move to hit Espeon (the most likely Calm Mind user on the team) Super Effectively. Shadow Ball would work wonders.

If you want help or to work on strategy, the community is great for that. We'll offer advice, we'll even help balance your own team on the Rate My Team forum. But if you are just going to complain about losses, you're in the wrong place. Losing sucks. Not being good at the metagame sucks. I know. I am horrible, horrible competitive battler (I break down if a Pokémon faints. I'm a perfectionist, and that gets me destroyed competitively). That doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with the metagame or Smogon's work to balance and refine it. Nor does it mean that every strategy that beats me is Overpowered.

Perfect accuracy: Aerial Ace, Aura Sphere (a total of three mons outside of Ubers get it), Feint Attack, etc.

Mons with evasion moves: Everything that can learn TMs.

That's really unbalanced, and since evasion can be used on anything, whereas nothing is going to use perfect accuracy moves other than Nasty Plot Lucario because they simply don't do any damage. If the evasion user gets reasonably lucky, they can sweep with pretty much anything they want to.

Evasion itself kills a crapton of strategies, and that's why we ban it and let everything use moves other than Aerial Ace.

See that reasoning makes more sense to me; the availability of countering evasion being much less commonly seen than evasion itself is troubling, I still feel that if it is rising in the meta ( as they undoubtedly would) , it could be countered through those moves, however, I concede that your argument is much better and that we perhaps simply so not see eye to eye on the subject ( would probably be due to the fact that I'm strictly Casual)

so when i try to write rmt reviews, smogon says i'm 'not authorized'. I'm a senior player on a new account so this is a little upsetting

does anyone got is hands on the pokedex guide that got out ? serebii says there are new egg moves there
wonder where i can get a list of it

Last edited:
so when i try to write rmt reviews, smogon says i'm 'not authorized'. I'm a senior player on a new account so this is a little upsetting
I guess it doesn't matter as long as it says your account is old. I've been in the scene for years but I never bothered to start an account here until recently.

What are some of this gen's best walls?
Goodra is a spectacular special wall and Dragon typing is still a beautiful defensive type, even with Fairy running around. Heatran, once it becomes legal (Pokebank), will probably be incredibly useful, because it's one of the only Pokemon that completely walls Talonflame. Trevenant is fairly bulky and can generally straight-up outheal anything that wants to kill it while wearing them down with burn or Toxic.

Aegislash is super tanky but lacks much of a support learnset and appears to be more useful as a revenge killer or for SD setup.

Careful though, there's also some really fine wallbreakers in this generation. Talonflame can punch a hole through just about anything, for example.

does anybody have an absolite they are willing to trade me? i can offer a level 1 eevee timid with pretty good IVs (two or three 31s),a snorlax, or sneasel. please pm me if you the item
Did you trade yours away or something? Absolite isn't version-exclusive.

I wanted to know : are Mega Latias and Mega Latios confirmed ? (not their stat or ability, only their existence).
Because many people on the PS chat assert it, and were a little bit scornful because i told them my doubts.

>.> I'm almost certain ingrain stopped WHIRLWIND, not roar.

Regardless, does haze go through magic bounce espeon?
From Ingrain's onsite description: "[Ingrain] also prevents the user from being forced out by Circle Throw, Dragon Tail, Roar, and Whirlwind. The user can only leave battle if it faints or uses the move Baton Pass, U-turn, or Volt Switch."

Magic Bounce doesn't reflect moves like Haze and Perish Song. This is because these moves affect all pokemon in battle, and don't directly target the Magic Bounce user.

(BECAUSE EVERYONE IS TELLING ME CHATTER IS OP) 1v6 chatot ftw. Seriously though any help? I made this set on my own. Maybe 252 spa / 252 speed / 252 def timid however he is surprisingly bulky
OohKillEm (Chatot) @ Leftovers
Ability: Tangled Feet
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SAtk / 4 Speed
Modest Nature
- Chatter
- Substitute
- Roost
- Nasty Plot

(BECAUSE EVERYONE IS TELLING ME CHATTER IS OP) 1v6 chatot ftw. Seriously though any help? I made this set on my own. Maybe 252 spa / 252 speed / 252 def timid however he is surprisingly bulky
OohKillEm (Chatot) @ Leftovers
Ability: Tangled Feet
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SAtk / 4 Speed
Modest Nature
- Chatter
- Substitute
- Roost
- Nasty Plot
You are missing what makes Chatot great, it's not Chatter, it's Boomburst, use it instead of roost.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Why are you running a NP Chatot set without Boomburst? Also, Chatot is far too fragile and pressed for coverage to use Sub, maybe even get rid of Roost.

With a neutral nature, what's the minimum number of attack EVs that Gliscor needs to OHKO MegaLucario 100% of the time?
200 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def (custom): 282-332 (100 - 117.73%) -- guaranteed OHKO
180 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def (custom): 276-326 (97.87 - 115.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

200 EVs without rocks, 180 with rocks

and if you're interested

100+ Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def (custom): 282-332 (100 - 117.73%) -- guaranteed OHKO
84+ Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def (custom): 276-326 (97.87 - 115.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

A Bulky Water, Fire, or Steel Pokemon would take care of that Ice weakness (a Steel-type would be particularly good since you also don't have a Dragon resist). You're team's pretty offensive, so I'd suggest something like Scizor or Metagross. Heatran would also be a great choice if you're playing in Pokebank since it can use the Sticky Web support effectively and can set up Stealth Rock.
thank you, I'll give metagross a try. it will help the bulky offense part of my team

I need some help determining damage output for the following situation.

I like to run a Timid Hydreigon as a Special Attacker has saved my bacon numerous times:
Hydreigon @ Expert Belt
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Speed
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse

What I'm wondering is, would it be smarter for me to run Flash Cannon over U-turn as a way to handle Fairy types? I typically use U-turn to carry momentum or to retreat from fighting / fairy types, but if I'm using U-turn I already know I outspeed them.

Would these stats coupled with Expert Belt alow for Flash Cannon to do enough damage to the common OU fairies that it'd be worth it?

I was wondering if it was wise to run an Aegislash and Trevenant on the same team.

Considering they both share weaknesses to Fire/Ghost, it's the usual newbie tactic to avoid pairing them together.
However, my team in the works is planning to use them fairly tactically, namely with both acting as a bulky offense group. Aegislash in particular is preferred because of the simple fact King's Shield will protect it from a partner's Earthquake in a double battle, (Which when Pokebank is released, my Swampert will use as usual.)

So, if the Trevenant won't work well on the same team as my Aegislash Nagling, what is a good replacement grass type?

I need some help determining damage output for the following situation.

I like to run a Timid Hydreigon as a Special Attacker has saved my bacon numerous times:
Hydreigon @ Expert Belt
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Speed
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse

What I'm wondering is, would it be smarter for me to run Flash Cannon over U-turn as a way to handle Fairy types? I typically use U-turn to carry momentum or to retreat from fighting / fairy types, but if I'm using U-turn I already know I outspeed them.

Would these stats coupled with Expert Belt alow for Flash Cannon to do enough damage to the common OU fairies that it'd be worth it?
In my opinion, it's not worth it. Azumarill and Mawile take neutral damage from the move, and most other Fairies aren't even OHKO'd by the move.

252 SpA Expert Belt Hydreigon Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Clefable: 223-264 (67.37 - 79.75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Expert Belt Hydreigon Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Sylveon: 163-194 (49.24 - 58.61%) -- 98.83% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Expert Belt Hydreigon Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Florges: 142-168 (47.81 - 56.56%) -- 85.16% chance to 2HKO

This calc doesn't even take into account defensive investment (which they will have). All of these will annihilate Hydreigon with a Moonblast, so it's your best bet to stick with U-turn so you can get a bit of damage off as you switch out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)