Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are strategies such as one-hit KO and Moody banned, but Swagger + Thunder Wave + Substitute + Foul Play is not?
The banning process is unfortunately a slow one. OHKO moves and Moody proved themselves to be uncompetitive in earlier gens, but that move combination hasn't really been getting much attention until the creation of Klekei. Also, complex bans are heavily frowned upon, and this is a difficult one to make simple. I'd vote for banning confusion because it's uncompetitive, but that is controversial because of how easy it is to cure confusion.

I think Swagger/T-Wave/Sub/FoulPlay will be looked at eventually, but until then, we just have to put up with it and not complain. After all, there is no guarantees if it'll be banned or not.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
The Safety Goggles item prevents weather damage. Does it also block weather's effects on Synthesis, Morning Sun, and Moonlight?

The Safety Goggles item prevents weather damage. Does it also block weather's effects on Synthesis, Morning Sun, and Moonlight?
Good question.

I just did some light research, and found nothing saying that it did, and it seems all it's doing is preventing sandstorm/hail damage. If it also protected Synthesis and Moonlight, it'd probably just be Air Lock in the form of an item. It's more like Overcoat.

ganj4lF

Nobody is safe from the power of science!
is a Team Rater Alumnus
I'm not 100% sure about where to post this, so I guess I'll try posting here at first.

On Pokemon Showdown, if a pokemon weak to Dark-type moves gets hit by Knock Off and holds a Weakness Policy, the item is removed before any boost is granted. Unfortunately I don't own a copy of XY so I can't check ingame if this is correct or not, so...is it working as intended or should I report it as a bug in the appropriate thread?

Thank you.

Can I use the sprites for the gen 6 pokemon on Showdown for my pokemon game if I give you guys credit?
I really suck at making sprites.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If I breed a HA male with a non-HA female of the same species, what are the chances the offspring would have the HA?
0%

Males only pass down HA with a ditto.

Edit: Sorry, I was misinformed. It can, but I'm not sure of the chances.

I'm not 100% sure about where to post this, so I guess I'll try posting here at first.

On Pokemon Showdown, if a pokemon weak to Dark-type moves gets hit by Knock Off and holds a Weakness Policy, the item is removed before any boost is granted. Unfortunately I don't own a copy of XY so I can't check ingame if this is correct or not, so...is it working as intended or should I report it as a bug in the appropriate thread?

Thank you.
That's what happens in-game, so it's working as it's intended

Last edited:
0%

Males only pass down HA with a ditto.

Edit: Sorry, I was misinformed. It can, but I'm not sure of the chances.
Before I saw your edit I bred my HA male with a random ditto from pokemon village and managed to get a good HA female so it worked out either way.

Another question though - if I have a pokemon with an egg move, and the daycare deletes it, can I use a heart scale to get it back? I've gotten conflicting answers by googling. Just hoping someone can confirm one way or another, preferably by actually having done it themselves...

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Before I saw your edit I bred my HA male with a random ditto from pokemon village and managed to get a good HA female so it worked out either way.

Another question though - if I have a pokemon with an egg move, and the daycare deletes it, can I use a heart scale to get it back? I've gotten conflicting answers by googling. Just hoping someone can confirm one way or another, preferably by actually having done it themselves...
I just tested, and when I made my Larvitar forget Dragon Dance, it appeared on the move relearner's list. So yes, it can be taught back.

I just tested, and when I made my Larvitar forget Dragon Dance, it appeared on the move relearner's list. So yes, it can be taught back.
To be more specific, the rule is this: A Heart Scale can train a Pokémon in any move that it learns via Level Up, or any move that it knew upon being hatched. For this reason, Egg Moves can be relearned, as can moves learned only by a prior evolution, as long as your Pokémon knew that move upon being hatched.

Example: You hatch a Riolu that knows Quick Attack, Endure, Nasty Plot, and Bullet Punch. When it becomes Lucario, it can't learn Endure, Nasty Plot, or Bullet Punch through levelling up, but since it had them when it was hatched, it can learn them all from the Move Reminder.

How does the new Critical hit system works now? Is there only 3 stages of Crit and you Crit 100% with stage three? Also how much crit stage does the moves that have higher crit ratio (so leaf blade, night slash etc) gain? How about the item (scope lens) and the move focus energy works?

what are the most imprtant speed tiers for an adamant Machamp to beat, and how many EVs are needed to beat tjose tiers?
Note, that this guy is as fast as Blissey.
Scizor either run max speed or no speed at all, so it is pretty save to say that you can outrun the common set with 92 EVs - note that this is speed creep territory and assumes that people are dumping the remaining 8 EVs into speed so take that number with a grain of salt, especially because a lot of Scizor's spreads fall into the 'Other' category in the Smogon stats.
Next on the list is maximum speed Wobuffet, for whom you need 144 in speed in order to outrun Destiny Bond.
Skarmory and Jellicent are difficult. Assuming the 8 EV rule of thumb you need 132 and 52 EV respectively but both of them are also very good defensive Taunters so it might not be too easy to pinpoint the speed players are willing to put in.
Last but not least there is low speed Heatran for which you roughly need 188 EVs in order to beat it. We personally wouldn't aim for it because we usually recommend Heatrans to creep over Jolly Tyranitar, which is out of reach for Machamp. If you are willing to spend that many point, invest at least 216 point into it in order to beat any neutral Azumarill and Mawile.

How does the new Critical hit system works now? Is there only 3 stages of Crit and you Crit 100% with stage three? Also how much crit stage does the moves that have higher crit ratio (so leaf blade, night slash etc) gain? How about the item (scope lens) and the move focus energy works?
In this generation you only need +3 in crit value in order to consistently invoke critical hits. Focus Energy raises your crit value by 2, Super Luck and Scope Lense increase it by 1 and the crit moves add 1 additional point when used.

Is there no longer any point to EV training Pokemon in X & Y for level 100? Isn't the standard now level 50? Should I bother EV Training for level 100 or stick to level 50 EV's now? This is for standard 6v6 battle.

Is there no longer any point to EV training Pokemon in X & Y for level 100? Isn't the standard now level 50? Should I bother EV Training for level 100 or stick to level 50 EV's now? This is for standard 6v6 battle.
Depends on the format you are using: Smogon's standard is still Lv 100 and the only way to simulate that in-game is by having a 'no restrictions' battle.

Depends on the format you are using: Smogon's standard is still Lv 100 and the only way to simulate that in-game is by having a 'no restrictions' battle.
Can you have a no restrictions battle with just anyone? Like if I wanted to fight a random stranger, would I be allowed to set 'no restrictions?' Is there a ladder system? Does it set to level 50 or no restrictions?

I haven't battled on the 3DS yet, so sorry for the questions.

Can you have a no restrictions battle with just anyone? Like if I wanted to fight a random stranger, would I be allowed to set 'no restrictions?' Is there a ladder system? Does it set to level 50 or no restrictions?
Note, that the official format is not the same as Smogon's format. For laddering there are different rules you better look up at Pokemon Global Link. If you want to apply Smogon's rules, you need to agree on them before somehow.

If you want to dig into the official formats you might want to visit the Battle Spot or the VGC subforum here or nuggetbrigde.

"Greninja's base speed is 122, allowing it to outrun any pokemon with max Speed investment with a base Speed of X or lower."

How would I compute X for this statement? Basically I need the general form of how base stats convert to actual values. I know that 252 EVs = 63 points, but how big of a difference in base stats does that equate to?

MattL

I have discovered a truly remarkable CT which this box is t-
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
"Greninja's base speed is 122, allowing it to outrun any pokemon with max Speed investment with a base Speed of X or lower."

How would I compute X for this statement? Basically I need the general form of how base stats convert to actual values. I know that 252 EVs = 63 points, but how big of a difference in base stats does that equate to?
I know you're asking a general question, but I'll begin by saying Greninja just about always runs (and should run) max Speed and a positive Speed nature, so the standard Greninja outspeeds all max Speed Pokemon of base 121 and lower.

Generally, here is the formula for how all stats besides HP are calculated (courtesy of Bulbapedia):

"Other stat" refers to a stat other than HP, so Speed is obviously one of these. The value of "Nature" is 1.1 for stat-increasing natures, 1.0 for neutral natures, and 0.9 for stat-decreasing natures.

I know you're asking a general question, but I'll begin by saying Greninja just about always runs (and should run) max Speed and a positive Speed nature, so the standard Greninja outspeeds all max Speed Pokemon of base 121 and lower.

Generally, here is the formula for how all stats besides HP are calculated (courtesy of Bulbapedia):

"Other stat" refers to a stat other than HP, so Speed is obviously one of these. The value of "Nature" is 1.1 for stat-increasing natures, 1.0 for neutral natures, and 0.9 for stat-decreasing natures.
Thanks for that formula. I ask because I plan to use a Modest Greninja and I want to know what speed tiers it could outrun 100% of the time. I plugged in some numbers and it looks like, depending on my Greninja's IV (I don't actually know it so I assume the worst case scenario of 0), it can outrun anything with a 92 base speed or lower, up to 106 if I have a 31 IV. It's a little lower than I was hoping for, but knowing I can always beat the base 90s is pretty nice.

Note, that the official format is not the same as Smogon's format. For laddering there are different rules you better look up at Pokemon Global Link. If you want to apply Smogon's rules, you need to agree on them before somehow.

If you want to dig into the official formats you might want to visit the Battle Spot or the VGC subforum here or nuggetbrigde.
Alright, so looking at the official formats I can see that there is no official supported 6v6 Battle for X & Y, which sucks. I know that Smogon's standard is lvl 100, but I see a lot of players that play WiFi battles and upload to YouTube use Smogon's rules and tiers but they still use lvl 50 format. Is this the most common practice, or do people in the Smogon WiFi community usually use lvl 100?

I'm mainly asking these questions because I don't want to waste my time EV training for lvl 100 when I'm going to just wind up playing lvl 50 battles most of the time, or vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)