Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than Excadrill, what are some other Pokemon that can benefit from sand (other than Mega Garchomp, I guess)? Is Sand Force Landorus still viable? Are Stoutland and Heliolisk feasible options? Are there any Pokemon that weren't viable in sand last gen/didn't exist last gen that are viable in sand this gen? Are full sand teams viable, or only ones that are just Tyranitar + Excadrill? Are Sandstorm users viable?
The only sand abusers that are worth it in the current metagame are Excadrill and Mega Garchomp. The other feasible options really aren't good enough to be worth all of that support. I suppose if you really wanted to you could run physical Sand Force Landorus, but it's really meh.

Magnemite said:
The only sand abusers that are worth it in the current metagame are Excadrill and Mega Garchomp. The other feasible options really aren't good enough to be worth all of that support. I suppose if you really wanted to you could run physical Sand Force Landorus, but it's really meh.
I was thinking of making an offensive sand team myself using Hippowdon (with a Smooth rock) as a lead, Landorus and Excadrill (with a Life Orb) as wallbreakers, and Mega Tyranitar as a sweeper and a back-up Sandstorm setter. Is too redundant to have 2 Sandstorm setters on a sand team?

What tier are the Monkey trio from Unova and which one of them is superior from the others? Of course, since they all get the same below average stats and Nasty Plot, the one with the best movepool would win.

I've been ninja'd twice, and perhaps this is a question that can be answered without doing a long list, but in case he wants to know why all of these Pokemon are used without looking it up, I'll right short paragraphs for most of them. Let's do this thing. First we'll start with hazard setters.
Deoxys-D is an extremely successful Pokemon because of its ability to act as a hazard lead with access to both Stealth Rock and Spikes. Its bulk and ability to either run a Mental Herb or Red Card guarantee it to set up at least Stealth Rock and two layers of Spikes. He functions best on heavily offensive teams, as although he has little offensive presence himself he is often sacrificed after he has laid down hazards, providing momentum. He can also lure in Bisharp (a common anti-lead against Deoxys-D) and OHKO it with Superpower.
Deoxys-S is not good when only being used as a hazard lead due to its frailty, which means that it won't be able to set up enough hazards for most teams. However, he is often used as a lead on rain teams (to set up rain) or dual screen hyper offense teams (to set up Reflect and Light Screen). He is often carrying Stealth Rock as well on those teams, allowing him to provide both hazard and rain/screen support for those teams. A more offensive version with 3 attacks and Stealth Rock is good as well.
Garchomp is a Pokemon that is used on heavily offensive teams that either don't rely as much on hazards to use Deoxys-D, don't like that Deoxys-D almost always needs to be sacrificed to provide momentum, or want a hazard setter with more offensive presence. His good offensive typing and access to strong attacks as well as Stealth Rock make him a good choice for teams that only need Stealth Rock.
Similarly to Garchomp, Mamoswine is an alternative choice to Deoxys-D for some teams. In addition to setting hazards, Mamoswine also has the ability to revenge kill many common Flying-, Dragon-, and Ground-types.
Terrakion: See Mamoswine and Garchomp
A choice for more defensive teams is Ferrothorn. While Ferrothorn has the ability to run both Stealth Rock and Spikes, it usually doesn't because of its inability to rack up enough damage with them, as it doesn't have a phazing move. However, Ferrothorn also has access to Leech Seed and checks or counters many Water-, Rock-, and Fairy-type Pokemon.
Another choice for defensive teams is Chansey, who sets up Stealth Rock. Chansey can easily switch into most special attacks and force the attacker out, meaning a free turn to set up rocks.
Skarmory is yet another choice for defensive teams. In addition to setting up Stealth Rock, Spikes, or both (although usually not both because using both often leads it to having four move-slot syndrome) it can also remove hazards with Defog or shuffle the opponent's team to rack up hazard damage. It also counters or checks many physical attackers that don't commonly carry attacks it's weak to, most notably it counters Mega Pinsir.
Heatran is another one of the best choices for defensive teams for its ability to set up rocks and phaze. Its phazing also allows it to spread toxic on the enemies team. It also has the ability to check about every Fire-type not running Earthquake in addition to Pokemon that rely mainly on Flying-type moves.
Okay, last choice for defensive teams. Hippowdon, like Skarmory and Heatran, has access to both hazards and a phazing move. Also like Skarmory but unlike Heatran it has a recovery move in Slack Off. It also has great mixed defenses when invested in, allowing it to absorb many attacks for its teammates and recover. Lastly, it is immune to Electric-type moves and can beat most Fire- and Steel-type attackers as well.
Shuckle is a little bit of a different hazard setter. It isn't seen often but provides good support for the teams that use it. Shuckle's sheer bulk means that it can almost always set up Sticky Web and Stealth Rock for teams with slower but powerful Pokemon. It can also prevent itself from becoming set up bait with Encore.
Landorus-T is a Pokemon that acts as a pivot for bulky offensive and balanced teams, and as a slow U-turner for Volt-Turn teams. Its ability to pivot into most non-supereffective physical attacks due to its ability, Intimidate, and to hit back hard make it a nice choice. Because most Pokemon that Landorus-T switches into will switch out in fear, it has many opportunities to set rocks.
Non-mega Tyranitar is another great Stealth Rock user for bulky offense and balanced teams alike. It has priceless resistances to Fire-, Flying-, and Dark-type moves, meaning that it can switch into many physical attackers, similarly to Landorus-T. As they switch out it can use Stealth Rock. It also can Pursuit trap Pokemon and set sand for sand teams.

Now onto hazard removers. There are many more viable removers than setters, so I'll only cover a few of the best ones. Other choices include Mew, Starmie, Mega Blastoise, and Kabutops. Mega Absol can also bounce back hazards as they're being set.
While the Deoxys formes can't actually remove hazards, their access to the moves Taunt and Magic Coat means that they have the ability to prevent other Pokemon from setting up hazards early-game.
Without a doubt the best hazard remover is Excadrill. Its ability to defeat all relevant spinblockers combined with its versatility and access to Rapid Spin means that it is very successful. Its Mold Breaker ability allows it to defeat levitating spinblockers like Gengar, in addition to Aegislash. However, Aegislash can run Air Balloon, but Excadrill can also run Shadow Claw. It can also act as a revenge killer with a Choice Scarf or just as an attacker with Life Orb. It's best on offensive teams that need hazard support but don't want to use Defoggers (as Defog removes their own hazards as well).
Another great hazard remover is Latios. With great offensive stats, it is a wonderful Defogger for offensive teams. It can also feign an all-out attacking set as well as provide its team mometum with Memento, creating an opportunity for a sweeper to set up.
Latias is similar to Latios, but slightly different because of its access to Healing Wish, which means that it can fully heal a weakened Pokemon on an offensive team. Unlike Latios, Latias will never be running an all-out attacking set and will always have Defog.
Mandibuzz is yet another Pokemon with Defog, although it's best situated on balanced or defensive teams. It can also counter/check Aegislash, one of the most dangerous Pokemon. In addition to Defog it can also heal itself with Roost (although most Defoggers can do this) and use Foul Play, Knock Off, and Toxic.
Skarmory is a defensive Pokemon with Defog, as previously mentioned. It is the only Pokemon that commonly both sets and removes hazards, as most Pokemon with access to both hazards and Rapid Spin/Defog usually have something better to do (such as Excadrill) or are not OU viable (such as Forretress).
Zapdos is more comparable to Mandibuzz as it fits on both on both defensive and balanced teams. However, unlike Mandibuzz (and most other Defoggers), Zapdos beats Bisharp and Thundurus, the two main Defog discouragers, much more easily and with more consistency.
Mega Scizor is another good Defogger, that fits on all sorts of teams, can feign an all-out attacking set or Swords Dance set, and has the ability to defeat Bisharp at the very least, although it will often have four move-slot syndrome. Because it's a mega, you unfortunately can't put it on ANY team.

As for your other question, in addition to what has already been stated, special attackers also tend to have less bulk than physical attackers, and there are less Pokemon that can wall physical attackers due to the fact that many of them carry boosting moves or can also go mixed. However there are still many special attackers which are just as dangerous as physical ones, including Greninja, Mega Charizard Y, Landorus, Keldeo, Clefable, Gengar, Aegislash (who can also be mixed) and Latios.
Fantastic list - thanks so much!

What tier are the Monkey trio from Unova and which one of them is superior from the others? Of course, since they all get the same below average stats and Nasty Plot, the one with the best movepool would win.
They're all NU and struggle to stand out much even there. The best one is probably Simipour since it stands out more from its competition than the other two.

I'm wondering about specifics with Imposter Ditto. I know that he copies the stats of the Pokémon he transforms into, do Ditto's IV's/nature make any difference after he's transformed? I heard HP remains the same, so presumably that is important, but if he copies all the other stats then the other IVs wouldn't matter surely? Or does it take them into account and it's just the ev's that are copied?

So, as an example, say he transformed into an opposing Salamence (without a Scarf), Ditto has a speed IV of something like 15 before transforming, Salamence has 31. Would the Salamence always go before the transformed Ditto due to Ditto maintaining the 15 IV or would it be a speed tie due to it being an exact copy?

And presumably things like Hidden Power still run off of Dittos IVs regardless of the opponent?

I'm wondering about specifics with Imposter Ditto. I know that he copies the stats of the Pokémon he transforms into, do Ditto's IV's/nature make any difference after he's transformed? I heard HP remains the same, so presumably that is important, but if he copies all the other stats then the other IVs wouldn't matter surely? Or does it take them into account and it's just the ev's that are copied?

So, as an example, say he transformed into an opposing Salamence (without a Scarf), Ditto has a speed IV of something like 15 before transforming, Salamence has 31. Would the Salamence always go before the transformed Ditto due to Ditto maintaining the 15 IV or would it be a speed tie due to it being an exact copy?

And presumably things like Hidden Power still run off of Dittos IVs regardless of the opponent?
Ditto becomes a 100% clone of the opponent except for HP, so Ditto's non-HP EVs/IVs don't matter except for hidden power type (6IV dittos will always have HP Dark, for example, even if the pokemon they're copying has HP Ice).

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ditto has its own IVs even when Transformed. If Salamence has 391 speed (with 31 IVs), Ditto (with 0 IVs) would have 391 speed.

It doesn't copy item boosts however. If both Ditto and the copied Pokemom wear Choice Scarf, it's a tie.

I'm thinking of getting back into battling on Showdown since the new game reveal rekindled my interest in Pokemon after Hearthstone took over as my turn-based strategy game of choice back in December. I haven't touched Pokemon at all since then, so I'm pretty out of the loop. Could somebody could briefly sum up the state of the meta right now it would be much appreciated :)

I'm thinking of getting back into battling on Showdown since the new game reveal rekindled my interest in Pokemon after Hearthstone took over as my turn-based strategy game of choice back in December. I haven't touched Pokemon at all since then, so I'm pretty out of the loop. Could somebody could briefly sum up the state of the meta right now it would be much appreciated :)
The metagame is so vastly different from last generation, it'd be pretty much impossible to summarize it in a post. You can get a general picture from these threads though:

Overused General Discussions: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/overused-general-discussion.3502120/
Evolution of the Metagame: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/evolution-of-the-metagame.3502220/
Viability Thread VR version (the posts are informative as well as the rankings): http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/xy-ou-viability-ranking-thread-re-ranking.3502268/

Kangaskhanite, Gengarite, and Lucarionite were banned to ubers, as was Genesect, and the move Swagger (to neuter the swagplay strategy). Charizard is the most-used pokemon now and Rotom's and Talonflame's usage have dropped a bit (though they're still very common). Aegislash was running mixed weakness policy sets for a long time but now leftovers or life orb tends to be the item of choice and it has begun running fully physical Swords Dance sets again. The good ol' early-Gen 5 combo of TTar + Sand Rush Excadrill has also gained in popularity and can devastate teams if you're not prepared. Conkeldurr's usage and usefulness has gone way down now that the metagame has sort of evolved around him because everything walls and kills him especially things like Mega Venusaur and the much-used Mega Mawile. Even Mega Scizor tends to run bulky Adamant now so it can pretty much do what it wants with him. Deoxys-D seems to be gaining a lot in popularity and is a huge threat because it always tends to get one or two layers of hazards up, and can carry a mental herb to block the prankster taunt. Sash Breloom is also coming back now that Bird Spam strategies have gone down a bit, and people have started running Technician Rock Tomb to take down birds on the switch in. Donphan is finally UU.

Hey guys running a VoltTurn team with Choice Band Scizor and Modest Rotom-W. For VoltTurn would Rotom be better with Choice Scarf and speed/ sp atk evs even though it would be fast it wouldnt hit too hard, or choice specs for heavy hitting with slow volt turns that allow a safe switch in for my other pokemon. If the specs one is better id run 252 hp, 252 sp atk, but again, im looking at scarf vs specs to provide great synergy with scizor.

So far im feeling specs modest and bulky since moving second allows safe switch in for scizor to u turn out, and the 252 hp evs allow rotom to tank more water and fire moves aimed at scizor that scarfed rotom wouldnt appreciate.

Any opinions would be appreciated

I'm trying to build a team with a Bulky attacker Mega Ampharos after seeing how it matches up against a good number of higher Viability threats. Can anyone recommend good teammates or cores? At a glance, I notice some Pokemon that appreciate it are those that need enemy Flying types out of the way, but I can't quite think of any that synergies well with Mega Ampharos in particular.

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
252 HP/ 252 SpA / 4 Def or SpDef (Might swap the SpA EVs with a defensive stat)
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Volt Switch

Jaiho

bandy legged troll
I'm trying to build a team with a Bulky attacker Mega Ampharos after seeing how it matches up against a good number of higher Viability threats. Can anyone recommend good teammates or cores? At a glance, I notice some Pokemon that appreciate it are those that need enemy Flying types out of the way, but I can't quite think of any that synergies well with Mega Ampharos in particular.

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
252 HP/ 252 SpA / 4 Def or SpDef (Might swap the SpA EVs with a defensive stat)
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Volt Switch
something like keldeo or M-venu might work, since they both appreciate things like talonflame gone, and can easily punish ground type switchins

something like keldeo or M-venu might work, since they both appreciate things like talonflame gone, and can easily punish ground type switchins
I appreciate the recommendation for Keldeo (ironically among the things I noticed M Ampharos could check), but anything in place of M-Venu, since Ampharos is my Mega.

Hey guys running a VoltTurn team with Choice Band Scizor and Modest Rotom-W. For VoltTurn would Rotom be better with Choice Scarf and speed/ sp atk evs even though it would be fast it wouldnt hit too hard, or choice specs for heavy hitting with slow volt turns that allow a safe switch in for my other pokemon. If the specs one is better id run 252 hp, 252 sp atk, but again, im looking at scarf vs specs to provide great synergy with scizor.

So far im feeling specs modest and bulky since moving second allows safe switch in for scizor to u turn out, and the 252 hp evs allow rotom to tank more water and fire moves aimed at scizor that scarfed rotom wouldnt appreciate.

Any opinions would be appreciated
Yeah, I'd definitely go slow bulky specs for rotom. In fact, in addition to 0 speed EVs, I'd give it 29 or 30 in speed IVs to make sure it is just barely slow enough to go after other rotoms so you volt switch after you see what your opponent is volt switching into (or otherwise, you can have your rotom tank the hydro pump or burn).

Yeah, I'd definitely go slow bulky specs for rotom. In fact, in addition to 0 speed EVs, I'd give it 29 or 30 in speed IVs to make sure it is just barely slow enough to go after other rotoms so you volt switch after you see what your opponent is volt switching into (or otherwise, you can have your rotom tank the hydro pump or burn).
Awesome I already have a 5iv modest, but its no prob since most other rotoms either have speed evs on a bulky leftovers set, or alot of speed evs on a scarfed set. So hows this sound for a scizor partner.

Rotom-W (Modest)
-252 HP, 252 Sp Atk, Remaining Sp Def with this set
*Choice Specs- Hydro Pump, Volt Switch, Pain Split, Trick or something else??

Awesome I already have a 5iv modest, but its no prob since most other rotoms either have speed evs on a bulky leftovers set, or alot of speed evs on a scarfed set. So hows this sound for a scizor partner.

Rotom-W (Modest)
-252 HP, 252 Sp Atk, Remaining Sp Def with this set
*Choice Specs- Hydro Pump, Volt Switch, Pain Split, Trick or something else??
I'd go Will-O-Wisp over Pain Split, but it's really up to you. Other than that, looks good.

I can tell you right now that Calm Mind is a really, really hard set to pull off effectively. This is mainly due to the extreme commonality of Dark-types, as well as th omnipresent Aegislash. If you really wanted to use HP Fire, I'd recommend just using standard Life Orb with Draco/HP Fire/Healing Wish/Defog or something along those lines. Though if this is still on a 5th Gen Save File, I'd consider keeping it there and using it for 5th Gen Wifi battles.

Also, if you do decide to keep in in 5th Gen and use Calm Mind, make sure you move those SpDef EVs into Speed, in order to make sure Latias can heal with Roost and Calm Mind as fast as possible! :]
Hm, guess no CM set then. I think Latios can pull it off better with his special attack and speed anyway (I have 2 Latios, standard offensive Tricker and one I can use for CM).
Is the Draco/HP Fire/Healing Wish/Defog set one something a Calm one uses?

Also, is Dual Screens/Memento Latios any good? Seems like it can really cripple the opponent and let something set up.

I'm planning a set for when sheer force feraligatr comes out, this is what I'm thinking so far
Jolly
Sheer force
Life orb
Waterfall
Ice punch
Dragon dance
And either earthquake or rock slide. I'm leaning towards rock slide but there's time to get final decisions in so what do you guys think? Eq or rock slide?

I'm planning a set for when sheer force feraligatr comes out, this is what I'm thinking so far
Jolly
Sheer force
Life orb
Waterfall
Ice punch
Dragon dance
And either earthquake or rock slide. I'm leaning towards rock slide but there's time to get final decisions in so what do you guys think? Eq or rock slide?
Even though Sheer Force Feraligatr probably won't be released,I'm in favor of Rock Slide just because of Sheer Force's gigantic boost.Earthquake could be used to hit Electric types though.

Even though Sheer Force Feraligatr probably won't be released,I'm in favor of Rock Slide just because of Sheer Force's gigantic boost.Earthquake could be used to hit Electric types though.
Why don't you think it's gonna be released??o: but that's what I was thinking because it would also get the life orb boost, but I wasn't sure how common elec types would be in the meta at the time it's released

Smayja14 said:
Why don't you think it's gonna be released??o: but that's what I was thinking because it would also get the life orb boost, but I wasn't sure how common elec types would be in the meta at the time it's released
While the hidden ability was discovered, currently there's no legal way to obtain a Totodile with a hidden ability. Thus, there is a chance that when a hidden ability Totodile gets released, Game Freak will change its hidden ability, kind of like how Chandelure got its abiility changed when it was released in X and Y, though admittedly Sheer Force Feraligatr seems way less broken than Shadow Tag Chandelure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)