Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm not sure if this is where to ask this question, and I'm going to go ahead and tag alexwolf in this question, but since Aegislash is now gone might it be time to unlock the Doublade thread? It's had a lot of discussion in both the Post Aegis Discussion thread and the Stall thread, and from what I've read has actually become pretty effective, if slightly niche for now. Since it's viable in OU now, though, should that thread be released from cryo to discuss our little baby Slash?

It's URL is here: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/doublade.3489923/
You are free to create a new thread about it Seth Vilo, but i am not unlocking the old one, as the OP is bad. To give you an example, the only moveset posted for Doublade has King's Shield.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
That's irrelevant to his question, he's looking for a poke that can absorb hits for his team rather than a bulky attacker, obviously he can change evs around.
What? His question was HP/SpA or HP/Def for a goodra, and I was saying why I think HP/SpA is better

I did already invest in HP/Def. it works well enough XD
I might try HP/SpecAtt on Showdown to see if it does any better. Not breeding another one though >_> (And yes, I bred it in game. Because reasons)

Uh, hi? c:
I see that you're relatively new here (although you've reached 49 posts quite quickly, wow.)
So the mods are very finicky about what gets posted on the forums. I mean, if it has no reason to be there, they're likely to delete it and possibly infract you, though they probably won't in this case.
This may be is the place you wanna start off with.

If that's not the case...

HEY

Best moveset for Exploud? I'm thinking something like Boomburst/Ice beam/Fire blast/Furf. I've considered Focus Blast, but that accuracy doe.

I have a problem with Altaria, I want him to teach dragon dance but he can only learn dragon dance at lv 34 but it evolves from swable at level 35 ....... What can I do about this, It's not an eggmove for swablu even....

Best moveset for Exploud? I'm thinking something like Boomburst/Ice beam/Fire blast/Furf. I've considered Focus Blast, but that accuracy doe.
Furf OP.
Yeah, that's actually a great moveset c: Overheat and flamethrower are both viable options over fire blast b/c accuracy issues. Go for max speed and max spA, with timid nature. You'd want it to outspeed as many viable walls as possible to break 'em.
Focus blast seems kinda necessary though, seeing you'd want to break through heatran and the like. It depends on which tier you're trying to play.

Last edited:
I have a problem with Altaria, I want him to teach dragon dance but he can only learn dragon dance at lv 34 but it evolves from swable at level 35 ....... What can I do about this, It's not an eggmove for swablu even....

As of now, apparently, the only way to get DD on altaria is to breed one from b/w or gen 3 or 4. You see, altaria learns Dragon Dance at level 40 in RSE, and level 39 in DP and BW, and this was mysteriously dropped to 34 in B2W2 and XY.
Why GF? Make Altaria less viable than it is? ._.

EDIT: Move reminder. My god, I'm dumb.

Last edited:

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
As of now, apparently, the only way to get DD on altaria is to breed one from b/w or gen 3 or 4. You see, altaria learns Dragon Dance at level 40 in RSE, and level 39 in DP and BW, and this was mysteriously dropped to 34 in B2W2 and XY.
Just use a Heart Scale?

As of now, apparently, the only way to get DD on altaria is to breed one from b/w or gen 3 or 4. You see, altaria learns Dragon Dance at level 40 in RSE, level 39 in DP and BW, and this was mysteriously dropped to 34 in future generations.

Ikr? I was really suprised, they could've atleast make it learnable at the tutors... so what could replace DD? :o, Cotton guard maybe...? :/, My altaria is actually a physicall attacker with currently: Peck, Earthquaake, Dragon claw and sing. I can let it teach Aerial ace or Acrobatiscs since It's STAB

Ikr? I was really suprised, they could've atleast make it learnable at the tutors... so what could replace DD? :o, Cotton guard maybe...? :/, My altaria is actually a physicall attacker with currently: Peck, Earthquaake, Dragon claw and sing. I can let it teach Aerial ace or Acrobatiscs since It's STAB
I hope acrobatics is a TM XD

It's not learnable at the move reminder >.<; Right?
Theoretically it should be, right? Check again.

Also, your moveset is kinda ehh. I'm pretty sure it can run a bulky DD pretty well.

Altaria @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 216 HP / 228 Atk / 64 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Iron Tail/Roost

Last edited:

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
When omega ruby and alpha sapphire come out, will the tiers be redone, since there is new megas and stuff?
I don't /think/ so. I think, again this is just me, all brand new Pokemon will be put in OU, and all megas will start out in the tier the Pokemon is now. So Mega Sceptile will start out in NU, etc.

Yes, but the idea was that Bisharp can still take on Jirachi just fine even if Jirachi is trying to paraflinch it.

Why does there have to be a perfect answer to a pokemon for it to stay in OU? This metagame is not about either having an answer to something or not, it's about what decisions you make so that your team is more or less prepared for each threat. In other words, it's not a binary "are you prepared for X threat yes/no," it's more like a continuum of preparedness. As Agent Gibbs put it, "the era of being able to run universal counters to the metagame's top offensive threats is long gone."

Moreover, the pokemon I suggested (Garchomp, Char X/Y, Bisharp...) are good for much more than just hitting Jirachi. You wouldn't be carrying "a cleric on top of a counter to handle one pokemon," you'd be carrying two good pokemon that just so happen to help out against Jirachi, as well as with other things. The goal is to make a team where all the pokemon work together, rather than individually each focused solely on their own threats, to minimize the amount of things that the overall team is weak against.

So no, you don't have to bring a cleric if making room for it would detriment the rest of your team. But if you find your team is weak to Jirachi and in your experience Jirachi is common enough to warrant preparation, then you might need to think about what changes you could make so that your team loses as little other coverage/synergy as possible while gaining some coverage vs. Jirachi.

By the way, only keeping things in OU that have perfect single-mon counters would actually exacerbate your complaints about the game becoming matchup dependent. That is how RPS works, after all. Rock is a perfect counter to scissors, scissors is a perfect counter to paper, paper is a perfect counter to rock.
I get the whole universal thing, that is what I actually used to believe before all of these bans started coming out over the last few months. Some of the Megas got banned because there was "little to 0 counter play" to them (Even though a Gengar with Will-o-Wisp pretty much shuts down Kang). The things that get banned can do what they do almost regardless of who they are up against. And then thigns that raise evasion are also banned because they also "take the skill out of the game" and turns it into "50/50's". In this case, Flinching is 60% and Paralysis is 25% for a total of 85%, which is worse than a the evasion you get from Minimize (brings you from 100% to 60%). That is worse than 50/50, that is 15/85 unless your pokemon is immune to paralysis, in that case it is still 40/60 chance of you succeeding on moving that turn (the equivalent of using Minimize). How is that competitive if Jirachi's whole entire strategy is the equivalent of evasion items/boosting? It's almost worse because at least if they use evasion, you can still boost your own pokemon, lay hazards, blow them away, or use one of the many moves that don't miss or have been tweaked in order to counter evasion.

Out of what you listed, against a 0 HP 0 Def Jirachi
Bisharp does 82.6 - 97.3% with SP
Mega Gyarados does 79.5 - 94.1% with EQ
Mega Pinser does 72.7 - 86.2% with EQ
Gengar does 76.2 - 90.3% with SB
Heatran does 63.9 - 75.6% with Lava Plume
Skarmory just leaves you on the defensive and will get paralyzed
Mega Manetric does 59.2 - 69.7% with Flamethrower

All of this is IF you get pass paralysis/flinch and are fast enough to strike first. Even then it still has Leftovers + Protect + Wish and the option to switch out after happily paralyzing you for free. Frail pokemon like Gengar become nearly useless when paralyzed.

Excadrill, Garchomp, Landorus, Rotom-W H sound like the only viable counters to Jirachi. Everything else, will get paralyzed on the switch which allows the Jirachi user to keep the momentum by switching out to something that will use your switch as a free turn to set up.

The main question I have and don't get is why this thing hasn't been suspect tested if it uses a similar strategy to evasion and can always get off a paralysis on the switch, while being bulky and fast enough to hit first and survive most SE attacks? It also forces many switches unless you already have one of the checks out. Where is the counter play or skill if my only hope is to carry one of the 5 pokemon (Mega Man too) I just listed or hope I don't get immobilized for 2 turns in a row so i can take it out? Isn't that the definition of 50/50 match ups? Also most teams already carry at least 1 of those 5 pokemon I listed, which is great for them, but for the rest of us it means changing our teams to follow exact same teams and strategies as everyone else, doesn't that make things stale?

TLDR -
It forces witches while Paralyzing anything that isn't Immune
Is faster than most of it's Counters/Checks and bulky enough to survive one hit without EV investment from most of them
Flinch turns games into 40/60 (equivalent of Minimize)
Paraflinch turns games into 15/85 (worse than Maxed Evasion)
It does the job of Support (Wish+Thunderwave), Stall (Protect+Paraflinch), and a bulky Physical Attacker with one moveset.

Mowtom

I'm truly still meta, enjoy this acronym!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Flinching is 60% and Paralysis is 25% for a total of 85%
That is not how math works. The correct total is 1-(40%*75%), which is a 70% chance of not moving. I'm not going to argue your points, but please learn how to math.

Excadrill, Garchomp, Landorus, Rotom-W H sound like the only viable counters to Jirachi. Everything else, will get paralyzed on the switch which allows the Jirachi user to keep the momentum by switching out to something that will use your switch as a free turn to set up.
Nuh-uh, don't forget my bae gliscor. Or hippowdon. ;~;
There's ferrothorn (assuming jirachi doesn't carry Firepunch)who can take hits from it all day, recover massive amounts of HP using leech seed (that base 100 HP though) and use the paralysis for powered up gyro balls in the future (is that how it works?). There's also bulky charX which I've mentioned before. Um, that's still unique, isn't it? I mean, it's not following the same strategy as old reliable DDzardex xD

That situation stated is extremely iffy. It's not as bad as aegislash's "50/50", it's just a matter of prediction, something which can be overcome by skill alone. will admit it's very anti-noob though. Most bulky pokemon don't care about paralysis, it's toxic/burn they worry about.

And, could someone tell me why everyone's talking about defensive Landorus? I mean, nothing should be run on that thing except for the special wallbreaker set, or possibly Calm Mind. Can we all please just put a "-t" right there? It's very confusing.

Finally, I'd like to say that's it's highly likely Jirachi isn't going to be tested for ubers, hell, tested even for OU, and that it's position in UU is cemented, primarily because of lack of coverage in the flinch set (even if it's fully executed, it now has like, 1-2 moves that it can use now?) And that it's even easier to kill now thanks to steel nerf. There's also a sizable amount of OU pokemon, as stated in the thread now, that can check/counter it's primary strategy. In conclusion, I will admit it relies on luck, but it's a fair and non-broken amount of luck, kind of like how Focus miss and Stone Miss are luck based, and unlike evasion which tips the scales to ridiculous levels.
70% is scary, but not when you can barely dent half the tier, and when you're outsped by whatever's remaining.

Last edited:
Furf OP.
Yeah, that's actually a great moveset c: Overheat and flamethrower are both viable options over fire blast b/c accuracy issues. Go for max speed and max spA, with timid nature. You'd want it to outspeed as many viable walls as possible to break 'em.
Focus blast seems kinda necessary though, seeing you'd want to break through heatran and the like. It depends on which tier you're trying to play.
Furf is the new meta, lol.
The reason for no choosing focus blast is because it would be for rocks and steels. Which I already can hit with fire blast or surf. And yeah, i'm running max speed-spA but with a modest. It's in a team with a sticky web galvantula, so it kinda balances itself out

Furf is the new meta, lol.
The reason for no choosing focus blast is because it would be for rocks and steels. Which I already can hit with fire blast or surf. And yeah, i'm running max speed-spA but with a modest. It's in a team with a sticky web galvantula, so it kinda balances itself out
Is your exploud on a cart? Because otherwise, you'd want timid to outspeed the odd rotom/mawile/skarmory/etc. that may run a few speed EVs occasionally, which is rather common once you keep going up the ladder. I haven't calculated at -1 though assuming SW, but it's nice if you wanna be safe. Then again, modest is great too as it powers up your wallbreaking capability. Of course, one of exploud's best sets is with choice items, so consider choice specs as a hold item.

Yes, focus miss blast is a great move actually, as fighting is coverage you just can't do without when you have access to it. It's not for rock and steels in particular actually (heatran loves the ol' flash fire boost, and TTar laughs in the face of surf). Additionally, it hits dark types and the rare ice types for SE damage, while allowing you to, you know, not die completely to chansey.
Anyway, Exploud is always better off in lower tiers RU and UU, so if that's where you play,you won't have to worry about the threats I just listed. However, if you play on a cart... good luck. O.o

Last edited:
Pretty sure you can reteach it via Move Relearner
Edit: THANKS FOR TELLING ME IT WAS ANSWERED ALERTS >_> (smashes face against wall)
Edit2: no wait, I didn't see there was another page. Muh bad. (continues smashing face against wall. It's not very effective)

Last edited:
Gotta ask, what exactly is a 50/50?
I was looking into the Aegislash and Mawilite suspect tests and kept hearing about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)