Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Granbull and Duscolps are both solid counters.
Can't believe you put my baby in the same sentence as Dusclops,,,

Anyway, I'm jw why Lanturn was added to the viability list. What niche does it have that Rotom-W doesn't, other than potentially Heal Bell? What type of teams does it fit on?

Anyway, I'm jw why Lanturn was added to the viability list. What niche does it have that Rotom-W doesn't, other than potentially Heal Bell? What type of teams does it fit on?
The only thing i can think of is with volt absorb, it resist BoltBeam, im guessing it counters Thunderus or just checks it really good, but thats just me guessing.

Why is Azumaril considered good? I know it has pure power, but even after that, it's base attack stat only reaches 100, same as diancie which is considered quite bad.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
Why is Azumaril considered good? I know it has pure power, but even after that, it's base attack stat only reaches 100, same as diancie which is considered quite bad.
Huge power multiplies the actual stat, not the base stat. For azumarill, that means 218 is multiplied by 2 to get 436 - Azumarill's max attack, which is the rough equivalent of a base stat of 149.

That's not how Huge Power works, it doubles the actual stat itself, not the base stat. 252+ Azumarill hits 436 Attack after Huge Power, which is 2 points lower than Adamant Rayquaza, to put it into perspective.

Dammit Aragorn >:(

In addition to it's ability, it has decent bulk, a boosting move in Belly Drum, STAB priority, and is now a Fairy Type, giving it an immunity. With a Fairy typing it can reliably check pokemon like Lati@s and Garchomp, 3 top tier threats, among many others.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
In addition to what others said, its STABs are unresisted except for venusaur and amoongus

It works as a partner for Rotom-W, not instead of it. Apparently.

My apologies if I am kinda not really smart when it comes to this one, but I'm kinda confused on what win conditions are for stall teams. I know what a win condition means. Also, I know for offensive teams, they are built around a sweeper. However, I am not sure what team member are stall teams are built around.

My apologies if I am kinda not really smart when it comes to this one, but I'm kinda confused on what win conditions are for stall teams. I know what a win condition means. Also, I know for offensive teams, they are built around a sweeper. However, I am not sure what team member are stall teams are built around.
A pokemon (or multiple pokemon) that it becomes impossible for the opponent to break through regardless of prediction would be my definition.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

I can answer this.

Lanturn has a few advantages over Rotom-W. For one, it completely and utterly stops Magnezone from doing anything at all. Same applies to other Volt Switch users such as Mega-Manectric and Raikou. This makes it a better fit than Rotom-W on teams which already have a sand check/Pinsir check, but are very weak to Electric types and need something to stop them Volt Switching all over the team without risking taking a super-effective HP Ice to the face. It also counters Thundurus and checks Greninja, two pretty massive threats, with a SpD spread (HP Grass only does around 45%, and Grass Knot does even less since it only hits 40 BP). It can provide Heal Bell support which is pretty neat especially given that Heal Bell users are scarce in OU. Scald is also really nice, giving you an accurate spammable STAB which burns more consistently than Will-O-Wisp and Ice Beam can be pretty neat for chipping away at Latis.

When it comes down to it, it's basically a specially defensive Rotom-W who walls a slightly different range of things. I've tried it a bit and it's actually pretty decent.

I know, but that doesn't really answer my question. I'm using Milotic regardless of its viability. How do I make the best of it? Should I go an offensive route and run Modest with Competitive? If so, should I invest in Speed or HP? Should I use the classic RestTalk set with Marvel Scale? Or maybe mix those two sets and run a defensive spread with Competitive so Milotic can act as a Tank, remaining Bulky and potentially getting offensive presence by switching into Defog/Sticky Web/Intimidate or some random stat drop?

So, regardless of Milotic being outclassed, if I want to use it in an OU match, what do you guys think is the best way to go about it?

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
I know, but that doesn't really answer my question. I'm using Milotic regardless of its viability. How do I make the best of it? Should I go an offensive route and run Modest with Competitive? If so, should I invest in Speed or HP? Should I use the classic RestTalk set with Marvel Scale? Or maybe mix those two sets and run a defensive spread with Competitive so Milotic can act as a Tank, remaining Bulky and potentially getting offensive presence by switching into Defog/Sticky Web/Intimidate or some random stat drop?

So, regardless of Milotic being outclassed, if I want to use it in an OU match, what do you guys think is the best way to go about it?
Ok so at first I was just gonna talk about how bad it is. But if you want to use it, there's nothing stopping you. A Competitive set with Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, HP Grass, and Recover is probably its best chance of standing out. It's able to abuse landorus-t's intimidate, which is awesome. I think a Timid nature may be best so that you outspeed and ohko mamoswine. It sacrifices some bulk, but 95/79/125 is fine uninvested, especially when you don't need to take any hits.

You can also check out some of the old BW OU defensive sets, but given that none of them are considered viable anymore as far as I can tell, I'd go with Aragorn's suggestion just because it looks more fun and would probably catch more people off guard

To answer your question i would personally go with the rest talk set, to abuse marvel scale the best. scald is the main stab move, and the last slot is flexible, i prefer dragon tail or toxic, dragon tail letting it act as a decent shuffler, while toxic is way better to actually stall out more deffensive pokemon

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Scald
- Toxic/Dragon Tail

Deleted User 241617

Banned deucer.

There is actually a Milotic thread for OU, it's from December, but the discussions kept going until August. It has 6 pages of post, and you will find and more detailed, and much moreinformation there then you will find from answers in this thread. The link is here

Anyone have an opinion on Hone Claws over SD on Hawlucha? It loses power, but the trade off is that you never have to fear HJK missing. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)