Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've lately been using a scarfed Starmie with a lot of success, although I was wondering how many speed EVS I should leave in (with a timid nature) in order to outspeed anything relevant.(including some mons at 1.5, like speed boost Scolipede or DD Gyarados), and especially scarfed Landorus.

It's been doing a fine job at the full 252, but if I can afford to spread it around a little, then why not?

Last edited:

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
So I've lately been using a scarfed Starmie with a lot of success, although I was wondering how many speed EVS I should leave in (with a timid nature) in order to outspeed anything relevant.(including some mons at 1.5, like speed boost Scolipede or DD Gyarados), and especially scarfed Landorus.

It's been doing a fine job at the full 252, but if I can afford to spread it around a little, then why not?
In my opinion, Scarf Starmie seems really redundant, but if you are first set to use it, the fastes thing you would want to outspeed is Scarf Base 108's, like Terrakion and Keldeo. Running a spread of 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe with a Timid nature let's you do so. If not outspeeding Scarf Base 108's is that important, and missing out on Scarf Garchomp doesn't bother you, running a Modest nature with maximum Speed investment is an option. This lets you outspeed any Scarf Base 100, or at +1 Speed. Hope I helped n_n

I understand the reason of the bans, in fact I have no complains about them, but what I would like to see is a ladder with all these non-legendary pokemon and shenanigans available to see which mons and strategies are truly overused - no bans considered - or a more elaborated discussion about it. I mean in a hypothetical ladder like this, as you mentioned, everyone would go for a broken mon or swagplay or Baton pass, so M-Blaziken might not be as overcentralizing if you can run M-Kanghaskan or M-Gengar in your team instead.
I think an OM like this would actually be quite nice, as the main thing that bugs me about battle spot is lack of 6V6 singles.

Now that Gyarados gets crunch (thank god) where should I put it on my DDance Mega Gyarados set? I currently run:

Gyarados (M) @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 8 Def / 248 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang

But obviously I'd like to find a place for crunch in there. Which move should I replace?

Also I'm not really sure whether DDance or bulky mega gyara is more viable in this meta. If I'm running a balanced offensive team, which gyarados shuoldd I run?

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Now that Gyarados gets crunch (thank god) where should I put it on my DDance Mega Gyarados set? I currently run:

Gyarados (M) @ Gyaradosite
EVs: 252 Atk / 8 Def / 248 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang

But obviously I'd like to find a place for crunch in there. Which move should I replace?

Also I'm not really sure whether DDance or bulky mega gyara is more viable in this meta. If I'm running a balanced offensive team, which gyarados shuoldd I run?
As you have Crunch for Lati@s and Dragonite, as well as Ferrothorn, you generally don't need Earthquake and Ice Fang (at least not once Mega Salamence is banned). I would suggest running Substitute or Taunt over Ice Fang, and Crunch over Earthquake. Here is the set I'd advise running:

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Substitute / Taunt

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I understand the reason of the bans, in fact I have no complains about them, but what I would like to see is a ladder with all these non-legendary pokemon and shenanigans available to see which mons and strategies are truly overused - no bans considered - or a more elaborated discussion about it. I mean in a hypothetical ladder like this, as you mentioned, everyone would go for a broken mon or swagplay or Baton pass, so M-Blaziken might not be as overcentralizing if you can run M-Kanghaskan or M-Gengar in your team instead.
Isn't that just Ubers?

Or if you really want GF rules, Battle Spot?

While I don't think that such a thing exists, you can find a ton of good teams in these places:

Team Showcase in the RMT subfourms: http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/team-showcase.314/

ORAS OU Sample Teams: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-ou-sample-team-thread.3521695/

Keep in mind that none of these teams will be perfect. However, you should make changes as you feel nessisary in order to improve the team and suit your playstyle... If you're going to be using them of course.
Thanks brer.

In my opinion, Scarf Starmie seems really redundant, but if you are first set to use it, the fastes thing you would want to outspeed is Scarf Base 108's, like Terrakion and Keldeo. Running a spread of 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe with a Timid nature let's you do so. If not outspeeding Scarf Base 108's is that important, and missing out on Scarf Garchomp doesn't bother you, running a Modest nature with maximum Speed investment is an option. This lets you outspeed any Scarf Base 100, or at +1 Speed. Hope I helped n_n
Thank you, much appreciated.

anyone know if ORAS's mons that learn a new existing move (like Gyarados's Crunch, Stored Power in Latias, Elemental punchs on Pangoro...) are able to return to XY? I want to organizate a XY tournament this 29 (Im from EU, so the game has only 1 day in shops) and I won't have time for test this. Thanks for the help.

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
anyone know if ORAS's mons that learn a new existing move (like Gyarados's Crunch, Stored Power in Latias, Elemental punchs on Pangoro...) are able to return to XY? I want to organizate a XY tournament this 29 (Im from EU, so the game has only 1 day in shops) and I won't have time for test this. Thanks for the help.
Albeit I don't know for sure, chances are the transferring between XY and ORAS is one-way, only. This means you probably won't be able to use new tutor moves and Mega Evolutions in XY, sadly. Don't take my words for a fact, though, as your guess is as good as mine.

So is imposible to get Greninja Gunk Shot for example, in XY in any moment?
The 1.3 patch rendered ilegal movements unusable, stuff like espero huge power slacking are no more a common sigth. So I'm leaning towards no gunshot ninjas since a friend sludge wave ninja is no longer usable(ye he went there)

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I know that VGC organizers have said that pokemon that have been transferred from XY to ORAS, taught tutor moves, and then transferred back to XY will be fine to use for the remainder of the '14 season, so that implies that trading is possible.

(Source: http://nuggetbridge.com/articles/omega-ruby-alpha-sapphire-move-tutors-kalos-pokemon/ )

Was looking through the ORAS good cores thread, and I saw that Dugtrio was recommended to have an HP IV of 21 and IVs of 0 in both defences. This wasn't explained in the core and it's really confusing me; I know there must be good reason for it but I'm really curious as to what that is.

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
Was looking through the ORAS good cores thread, and I saw that Dugtrio was recommended to have an HP IV of 21 and IVs of 0 in both defences. This wasn't explained in the core and it's really confusing me; I know there must be good reason for it but I'm really curious as to what that is.
Those IVs are ran when running Reversal, as they allow it to reach full power more easily.

Hello I have a question due to salamence big boost it gets when it me gas and since it has the ability arialate(hoped I spelled it right) will it be highly likely for it to get banned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 16)