Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Looking for a good taunt user for an "anti lead" that can possibly be of use to my team lol

Wondering the viability of mold breaker pangoro (to taunt magic bounce leads) any other thoughts?
On hyper offense, Taunt Azelf is a good option. Taunt Mega Gyarados is great as well, pangoro is better off with scrappy or iron fist. Pangoro is certainly viable tho.
Taunt Thundurus works, but having more coverage moves is usually more useful.
Taunt mega aerodactyl is excellent to check talonflame. Hope I helped :]
edit: yeah, good point MegaScizor - taunt terrakion is good as well.

Looking for a good taunt user for an "anti lead" that can possibly be of use to my team lol

Wondering the viability of mold breaker pangoro (to taunt magic bounce leads) any other thoughts?

Also Does dugtrio to trap b passers?
Terrakion is a good taunt lead, he is pretty fast and can get rocks up. The only issue he would have is mega sableye, but that's just one mon

On hyper offense, Taunt Azelf is a good option. Taunt Mega Gyarados is great as well, pangoro is better off with scrappy or iron fist. Pangoro is certainly viable tho.
Taunt Thundurus works, but having more coverage moves is usually more useful.
Taunt mega aerodactyl is excellent to check talonflame. Hope I helped :]
Wow very helpful ideas! I'm still setting my team, ATM I'm using mega manectric (absolute staple, trying to build around him)
Bold scizor defog/roost
AssVest calm sylveon

Looking to fill w/ lead, mixed att, and and phys wallbreaker/tank

Terrakion is a good taunt lead, he is pretty fast and can get rocks up. The only issue he would have is mega sableye, but that's just one mon
Well Mbounce xatu and espeon would be major problems for terr too, which pang would giggle at

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Wow very helpful ideas! I'm still setting my team, ATM I'm using mega manectric (absolute staple, trying to build around him)
Bold scizor defog/roost
AssVest calm sylveon

Looking to fill w/ lead, mixed att, and and phys wallbreaker/tank
I feel both of those sets are somewhat sub optimal, as bold scizor decreases its attack (I'm guessing that was an accident). Defog Scizor isnt bad, but swords dance is almost always better. In addition, regular scizor is mostly outclassed by mega scizor due to its higher power and bulk, so replacing that would be a good idea. Sylveon is not a good AV user because it doesnt have reliable recovery outside of the weak draining kiss, the best set in this metagame is choice specs.
Edit: Xatu is not viable in OU, so that is not a problem.

I feel both of those sets are somewhat sub optimal, as bold scizor decreases its attack (I'm guessing that was an accident). Defog Scizor isnt bad, but swords dance is almost always better. In addition, regular scizor is mostly outclassed by mega scizor due to its higher power and bulk, so replacing that would be a good idea. Sylveon is not a good AV user because it doesnt have reliable recovery outside of the weak draining kiss, the best set in this metagame is choice specs.
Edit: Xatu is not viable in OU, so that is not a problem.
Wow I need to come here more often (meant impish btw lol) ive been a hardcore breeder til now but I want to get into battling :)

Thanks for all the advice!

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
I think I'm going to try a pangoro anti lead and see how it works, I Dont think people will even know what to do lol
In my opinion, the best set in OU is Choice Band with Parting Shot and 3 Attacks, between Knock Off, Ice Punch, Gunk Shot, Drain Punch / Superpower. Whatever floats your boat :P

Thats just a small bug, if you select knock off it will be allowed in battle. Once the server updates, all the move compatibilities will be updated, hopefully soon.
Oh okay cool :)
As an anti lead I'm going:

Pangoro mold breaker @mental herb
Jolly Att 252/ speed 252/ HP 4
Taunt/parting shot/circle throw/knockoff

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
Oh okay cool :)
As an anti lead I'm going:

Pangoro mold breaker @mental herb
Jolly Att 252/ speed 252/ HP 4
Taunt/parting shot/circle throw/knockoff
The problem with Pangoro as an Anti-lead is that it has trouble with most entry hazard setters / doesnt outspeed them, such as Terrakion, Azelf, Landorus-T, fast Heatran, etc. Pangoro's niche in OU is a wallbreaker, there are many better options as an anti-lead.

The problem with Pangoro as an Anti-lead is that it has trouble with most entry hazard setters / doesnt outspeed them, such as Terrakion, Azelf, Landorus-T, fast Heatran, etc. Pangoro's niche in OU is a wallbreaker, there are many better options as an anti-lead.
Lol fair enough, wall breaker it is :P but wouldn't scrafty be better in that position?

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
Lol fair enough, wall breaker it is :P but wouldn't scrafty be better in that position?
Scrafty is not viable in OU, sorry. And I'm not saying that because its not in OU by usage, its that it has a terrible speed stat and is weak to common attacking types, particularly fairies.
While it shares the same type as pangoro, it doesnt hit nearly as hard as pangoro does. Pangoro also has the utility of parting shot which is very helpful.

So I've read this in a few places before but I was hoping some one could give me a detailed, in-depth, mathy explanation on the difference in damage done during lv.50 and lv.100 matches.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
So I've read this in a few places before but I was hoping some one could give me a detailed, in-depth, mathy explanation on the difference in damage done during lv.50 and lv.100 matches.
I don't know what you mean by "in-depth, mathy explanation". Level is something that's put into the damage formula and it happens to work out that things hit a little harder at level 50. You can go analyse the damage formula if you want but I don't know what exactly you're looking for.

Is there a legit offensive mon that can break through a core containing Quagsire and Mega Sableye? Cause especially the former has been giving me some trouble.

Is there a legit offensive mon that can break through a core containing Quagsire and Mega Sableye? Cause especially the former has been giving me some trouble.
Taunt Mega-Dos comes to mind. Mold Breaker goes through both of their abilities, so just Taunt, DD, and break.

I don't know what you mean by "in-depth, mathy explanation". Level is something that's put into the damage formula and it happens to work out that things hit a little harder at level 50. You can go analyse the damage formula if you want but I don't know what exactly you're looking for.
Well I guess I didn't actually know what the damage formula was exactly, I usually just see calculators. But I looked it up and taught myself and I guess I'll share the kind of answer I was looking for.

Basically the damage formula has this weird term in it that's (2*level+10)/250 which acts as a multiplier on the damage done. meanwhile the influence of level on a Pokemon HP in the stat formula is a straight multiplier on the rest of the variables that's then divided by 100.

So the level based multipliers at level 50 are 0.44 damage and aprox 0.5 HP, then at level 100 they are 0.84 damage and aprox 1.0 HP. So basically at level 100 Pokemon have (approximately) 100% more HP but only do about 90.9% more damage. (since all other variable in both formulas would be the same)

EDIT: After looking into it a little more there's this thing on the HP formula I was discrediting too much. Which is the +10 at the end of the formula that's outside the level multiplier. I was basically assuming 10 HP isn't that much so we can say it's approximately a 100% increase but that's not really true. The more HP a Pokemon has the closer to 100% increase it is (because the less that 10HP makes a difference) however even on a Pokemon with a kind of average HP stat that +10 means that the Pokemon has more like 93~94% HP increase from level 50 to level 100.

In more detail a Pokemon like 0 EV Cloyster has about a 91.3% HP increase and then 252 EV Blissey get a 97.2% increase in HP. And Blissey is obviously an extreme example so saying HP increases by 100% is definitely not true.... it more like 94% on average.

Still damage goes up less than HP between level 50 and 100, 90.9 < 94

Last edited:
Latias @Latiasite
Timid nature
252 Spd, 252 SpAtk, 4 Def
-Dragon Pulse
-Psyshock
-Calm Mind
-Recover (Do not suggest Roost)

Thoughts on this setup? I feel like this set does lack coverage though, move suggestions are appreciated.
Hmm. That looks kinda ok.

You don't need the Special Defense investment if you're boosting it with Calm Mind, anyway. I'd take Dragon Pulse over Substitute every day since it provides a damaging move that is not Psychic. You could go for Stored Power instead of Psyshock if you feel like you can make opportunities for Latias to set up more Calm Minds. The only other option I really see is Hidden Power: Fighting if Bisharp is something your MegaLatias has to deal with (plus it gets you that unpredictability factor) but is more useful on a Life Orb set. Also, you're investing fully in Special Defense which will be further boosted by Calm Mind, leaving you very vulnerable to physical attackers. I recommend investing more in Defense like the set below runs.

I found this setup

Calm Mind
########
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Substitute / Dragon Pulse
move 3: Stored Power / Psyshock
move 4: Roost
ability: Levitate
item: Latiasite
evs: 248 HP / 180 Def / 80 Spe
nature: Bold

Which looks fairly solid.

Edit: You said you feel like your set lacks coverage, you really won't be getting around this if you're running a Calm Mind set. You rely on the bulkiness and power you receive from the Calm Minds to dent the enemy and heal off with roost. If you want coverage then I'd recommend ditching the Mega forme and going for a Life Orb set. I LOVE Life Orb Latias even more than Latios and usually run

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 32 HP / 184 SpA / 40 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power Fighting
- Defog

Which I have on a team but I can't remember how I reached those stats lol

Or

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power Fighting
- Psyshock

Which is similar to most sets you'll find here at Smogon.

Last edited:
LF: Male Squirtle with Aura Sphere & Dragon Pulse (breeding with Ditto, so maybe Female will work too if it passes the moves down)

I don't care about IV's. Just a quick, simple trade. Anyone??

Geodude6

Look at my shiny CT!
Darmanitan is on the discussion blacklist in the rankings thread because of it not being viable. Why is Darmanitan unviable in OU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)