Resource Other Metagames Index - Ask Questions Here!

in the hills

spreading confusion
is a Top Artistis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What was OM leadership thinking when they made this years OM Circuit????

Like seriously, what’s the point in having STABmons and NFE in OMGS and have them count for Circuit points if they aren’t featured anywhere in the rest of the Circuit? They should at the very least be metagames in the finals with a Best of 5, if not have separate tours that count for circuit points as well. STABmons Seasonals were originally in the Circuit plans, and last I had checked they still were. What changed that they were removed?

2019’s circuit finals were made a Bo5 due to the large amount of users complaining about BH being too uncompetitive for a Bo3 (albeit I was not one of these users). This was a change most players were happy with, so why is it that the Circuit finals were changed back to a Bo3 this year?

The decisions made by leadership for the Circuit this year were very poor, in my opinion. Not only is the Circuit just inconsistent, it greatly discourages new players from trying for the trophy, and I know I won’t even think about participating in its current state.

Please consider changing this current Circuit setup.

What was OM leadership thinking when they made this years OM Circuit????

Like seriously, what’s the point in having STABmons and NFE in OMGS and have them count for Circuit points if they aren’t featured anywhere in the rest of the Circuit? They should at the very least be metagames in the finals with a Best of 5, if not have separate tours that count for circuit points as well. STABmons Seasonals were originally in the Circuit plans, and last I had checked they still were. What changed that they were removed?

2019’s circuit finals were made a Bo5 due to the large amount of users complaining about BH being too uncompetitive for a Bo3 (albeit I was not one of these users). This was a change most players were happy with, so why is it that the Circuit finals were changed back to a Bo3 this year?

The decisions made by leadership for the Circuit this year were very poor, in my opinion. Not only is the Circuit just inconsistent, it greatly discourages new players from trying for the trophy, and I know I won’t even think about participating in its current state.

Please consider changing this current Circuit setup.
The OM Circuit was significantly larger than any other circuit, because we had formats (AG/ZU) that demanded it. That is no longer the case. The OM Circuit now focuses on the three biggest OMs. These three formats are consistently run throughout the year and as a result, are the best of three formats in the Championship. That is another point; a best of five in the championship was a special case I requested for the circuit last year as the standard is best of three. With the removal of two seasonals - making our seasonals match the Championship, and two ladder tournaments - which was unfair as it favored particular formats, the 2020 OM Circuit is much more balanced than it was last year.

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
The OM Circuit was significantly larger than any other circuit, because we had formats (AG/ZU) that demanded it. That is no longer the case. The OM Circuit now focuses on the three biggest OMs. These three formats are consistently run throughout the year and as a result, are the best of three formats in the Championship. That is another point; a best of five in the championship was a special case I requested for the circuit last year as the standard is best of three. With the removal of two seasonals - making our seasonals match the Championship, and two ladder tournaments - which was unfair as it favored particular formats, the 2020 OM Circuit is much more balanced than it was last year.
I agree with this circuit mostly, the formats included make sense, the layout makes sense, it overall generally makes sense. However, not including the grand slam formats anywhere but grand slam is really odd to me. I understand the whole asking for a best-of-five playoffs being a special case, but we're a special section. We have (or rather will have) plenty of metagames that bring this community together. Having a best-of-three playoff system that forgoes popular metagames is honestly really odd and doesn't represent the section well at all. We should be bringing the community together. NFE, for example, definitely deserves a larger presence in this entire circuit. It has the playerbase to justify it (definitely more than AAA does), and it's more likely to bring in standard / non-OM players. What our current set up does is discourage anyone but the average OM player from joining this circuit, there's no incentive for anyone else to get involved. I believe NFE and STABmons should have a stronger presence in this circuit overall.

I agree with this circuit mostly, the formats included make sense, the layout makes sense, it overall generally makes sense. However, not including the grand slam formats anywhere but grand slam is really odd to me. I understand the whole asking for a best-of-five playoffs being a special case, but we're a special section. We have (or rather will have) plenty of metagames that bring this community together. Having a best-of-three playoff system that forgoes popular metagames is honestly really odd and doesn't represent the section well at all. We should be bringing the community together. NFE, for example, definitely deserves a larger presence in this entire circuit. It has the playerbase to justify it (definitely more than AAA does), and it's more likely to bring in standard / non-OM players. What our current set up does is discourage anyone but the average OM player from joining this circuit, there's no incentive for anyone else to get involved. I believe NFE and STABmons should have a stronger presence in this circuit overall.
I think it’s more inconsistent having metagames in the playoffs that aren’t played consistently throughout the year. Standard circuits have past gen tours that count for points but they aren’t in the playoffs.

If you’re implying NFE and STABmons should have seasonals, that’s asking a bit much. 5 SSNLs, simultaneously, twice, is a lot to ask from someone competing in a circuit.

With that said, the biggest 5 OMs were chosen for GS and the top 3 for the whole circuit. Now you can argue one format is more deserving than another but the structure of the circuit is something that doesn’t need to be touched in my opinion.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Is there any chance of a "SWSH 400" meta being created to preserve the current OU (perhaps even sub-OU tiers)? Personally I have very little incentive right now to play the main tiers or contribute to anything knowing that it's all gonna rendered worthless in a few months anyway, and I know I'm not alone in this sentiment.

we didnt do this with pokebank in the sun and moon days, i dont understand why we would do this with sword and shield especially considering that not every addition is as bad and overbearing as landorus

Sorry if this is a silly question and I'm just not thinking about it in the correct way, but what is the best counter to the imprison sets? I've really struggled against it and can't seem to figure out proper counter play in the moment.

When is OMotM coming back? There seems to be an OMotM on the ladder, and presumably there will be one for February, but I haven't seen any nomination/voting threads.

dhelmise

everything is embarrassing
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
When is OMotM coming back? There seems to be an OMotM on the ladder, and presumably there will be one for February, but I haven't seen any nomination/voting threads.
There's no nomination stage currently because there aren't very many OMs that aren't ladders.

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
When is OM voting for February opening up?
There's no nomination stage currently because there aren't very many OMs that aren't ladders.
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/om-of-the-month-february-voting-stage.3659395/

Apologies for being a bit late

Let's say eternamax neutralizing gas was sent out
Then the other person also sent out neutralizing gas eternamax.
Would both abilities be nullified, or just one?
A question on my mind.

Let's say eternamax neutralizing gas was sent out
Then the other person also sent out neutralizing gas eternamax.
Would both abilities be nullified, or just one?
A question on my mind.
neither ability would be nullified (ngas can't neutralize itself) but regardless nothing will happen

How does magic guard work with Clangorous Soul? What happens? Does it give you the boosts with no draw backs? Does nothing happen? Or is it hard coded to do damage?

Why is a working codebase free of major bugs not a requirement for being voted as OMOTM? I was wondering about this because of Inheritance having an horribly broken implementation atm. Even if it does get fixed right now that's at least two days of downtime for the ladder.

Why is a working codebase free of major bugs not a requirement for being voted as OMOTM? I was wondering about this because of Inheritance having an horribly broken implementation atm. Even if it does get fixed right now that's at least two days of downtime for the ladder.
There would be no OM of the Month then. It’s not straightforward programming Other Metagames and anyone who does so is doing it voluntarily - nobody is getting paid. In addition, by the time a metagame wins a second OMotM, the original code is likely outdated due to changes in the PS codebase. Those that work on OMs, such myself or Kris, do so as needed for the main server. Side servers can help but they (rom) are usually very outdated and their code wouldn’t work on the main server anymore.

I was out of action for a while and gen 8 is new to me. My absolute favorite metagame last gen was mix and mega. When I pulled up teambuilder for the first time in a while I went straight to mix and mega. I had an idea in my head for a sharpedonite krookodile and a gardevoirite tapu bulu. I was surprised and disappointed to find out these mons and so many other greats didn't make the cut. These days my favorite metas are mix and mega and national dex. I think if megastones are being used in this current metagame shouldn't the national dex be available too?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)