Resource Other Metagames Index - Ask Questions Here!

Ransei

Everyone has a story
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator

Art by Arhops

Permanent Ladders:
Other Ladders:
  • OMotM - A temporary ladder for the month's most popular metagame!
  • Leaders Choice - An additional temporary ladder chosen by the OM Leaders, based on activity.
Other Projects & Resources:
  • To be added soon

Miscellaneous:
Pokemon Showdown! Other Metas room
@SmogonImmortal - follow for OM updates!
Other Metas on Discord

Last edited:

Ransei

Everyone has a story
  • Anything Goes: Anything legal and usable in local battles is allowed.
  • Camomons: Pokémon change type to match their first two moves.
  • 2v2 Doubles: Bring 4 Pokemon, Choose 2. A doubles version of the 1v1 metagame.
  • 350 Cup: All Pokémon with a BST under 350 have all their stats doubled.
  • Inheritance: Any Pokémon in the metagame can "inherit" the moves and ability from a certain Pokemon.
  • Suicide Cup: Victory is obtained when all of your Pokémon have fainted.
  • Trademarked: A Pokémon's ability can be given up in place for a status move, which will activate upon every switch-in.

Last edited:

The Immortal

is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Live Chat Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Other Metas Leader
This thread should be used for simple questions that need relatively simple answers, those kinds of questions rarely lead to meaningful conversation. If you were considering posting in a thread to ask "How can I use Eternamax Eternatus?" or making a new thread to ask "Where can I play OMs?" I'd recommend asking those questions here instead. For simple questions related to Smogon ask here. For in-game help/info check the Orange Islands subforum. This section is for competitive discussion only.

When posting in this thread, please follow these guidelines:
  • Make sure your question is relevant to Other Metagames.
  • Use the search feature to check if the question has been answered before.
  • Quote the question you are answering to help keep things organized.
  • Do not answer a question if you are unsure.
  • Your answers should contain at least a brief explanation, even if it was the simplest of questions.

The Immortal

is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Live Chat Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Other Metas Leader
I'll get the ball rolling with the question everyone's thinking: is OM running national dex variants of official tiers? Thanks.
I don’t want to give you a definitive answer because plans change. But, if Zarel’s National Dex format on PS continues in the direction it’s going with custom mechanics then I think it’d be a good idea to have a megathread of some sort with NatDex OU, etc... that only has the minimal rule I mentioned of assuming all Pokémon can be transferred to SwSh.

I don’t want to give you a definitive answer because plans change. But, if Zarel’s National Dex format on PS continues in the direction it’s going with custom mechanics then I think it’d be a good idea to have a megathread of some sort with NatDex OU, etc... that only has the minimal rule I mentioned of assuming all Pokémon can be transferred to SwSh.
Thank you. I'm probably asking too similar a question to necessitate a different response, but what of past-gen mechanics such as mega evolution and Z -crystals?

The Immortal

Other Metas Leader
Thank you. I'm probably asking too similar a question to necessitate a different response, but what of past-gen mechanics such as mega evolution and Z -crystals?
Those exist in Zarel’s version currently on PS, as well as deleted moves. Not only does that version not qualify as an OM, but I think we need to satisfy a different audience if we support NatDex metagames here. So no, those wouldn’t exist in this case.

The Immortal

Other Metas Leader
When's the earliest/latest we can expect playable Gen 8 OM Formats to come online?
I didn’t put it up with the other formats because OMs typically have complex interactions and research is still going on. For example, even though all the items are listed in the code, most old items don’t actually work. Such as: Gems shouldn’t be legal even in Hackmons because they’re not functional. Give it a few days then I’ll make the transition.

Why doesn't Balanced Hackmons mention anything about Eternamax Eternatus? The one with more than 1000 BST. I don't expect it to be legal in the metagame, but I at least expected a quick ban, but the thread doesn't say anything about it. Is it because it's not playable in game, despite being coded in? What makes it different than playing a mega evolution without its respective stone?

Ransei

Everyone has a story
Why doesn't Balanced Hackmons mention anything about Eternamax Eternatus? The one with more than 1000 BST. I don't expect it to be legal in the metagame, but I at least expected a quick ban, but the thread doesn't say anything about it. Is it because it's not playable in game, despite being coded in? What makes it different than playing a mega evolution without its respective stone?
You are unable to hack it in the game and it's currently not on Pokemon Showdown. Therefore it's been typical ignored.

Those exist in Zarel’s version currently on PS, as well as deleted moves. Not only does that version not qualify as an OM, but I think we need to satisfy a different audience if we support NatDex metagames here. So no, those wouldn’t exist in this case.
Shame. Will there be a place for Zarel-type tiers? And will we have an UU/Ubers etc...equivalent of the current Zarel ladder (for lack of a better name)? I am aware that I may be veering too far away from the "other metagames" topic. Thank you.

The Immortal

Other Metas Leader
Shame. Will there be a place for Zarel-type tiers? And will we have an UU/Ubers etc...equivalent of the current Zarel ladder (for lack of a better name)? I am aware that I may be veering too far away from the "other metagames" topic. Thank you.
This is being discussed but basically whatever there is demand for. If there is demand for Zarel type AG then it’ll be that. If there’s demand for pure NatDex Ubers, then there’ll likely be that.

do dynamax moves bypass destiny bond?
yes.

I’m not sure where to ask this, but when will Pet Mods get transitioned?
There is still some planning going on. In the meantime feel free to continue using the gen 7 threads because pet mods cross over across generations.

When will a new Metagame Workshop open up?
Very soon!

I'm going to assume these function the same, but is it possible to gen perma Dynamax/Gigantamax mons?

What about Aegilash-Blade? Can it start a battle in Blade form or will it only ever be in Shield form?

Does normal Darmanitan-Zen function like Galarian?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)