Resource OU Checks Compendium (Read Post #72)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you /really/ want to fix it, you have to surround it with tags and delete whatever part of the BBC code that's messed up and manually put it in. I don't recommend it though because it oftentimes requires you to re add any images that were in the part that you selected.
Turns out all that happened was that one bullet was set to align right for some weird reason lol. Should be fixed now.

Also, Feraligatr has been added to B- Rank, so this should be up to date with regards to the viability rankings.

EDIT: And apparently I passed my 1000th post at some point. Well, that was anticlimactic.

Last edited:
Alright I took some time to go through some of this list.

I don't think Ferrothorn and (Mega) Scizor should be listed as Clefable checks seeing as Flamethrower is on almost every set. Also, maybe Bisharp for Clefable NSI?
Is Unaware Clefable a check to SD Gliscor? It can set up on Gliscor while Gliscor can't do much back except....Toxic? Dunno if that's common on SD sets so I'll leave it up to you.
Pretty sure bulky Garchomp checks Bisharp, so that can be listed as Bisharp SI.
Skarmory can go under SI for Celebi as the offensive NP + 3 attacks set does next to nothing while Brave Bird 2HKOs
Ferrothorn is missing for Latias and Latios SI
Landorus-T and Mega Sceptile should be taken off of Mega Manectric SI as they don't like HP Ice which is on literally every set. Maybe move to NSI because they can revenge kill?

May post more later cause lazy lol

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Alright I took some time to go through some of this list.

I don't think Ferrothorn and (Mega) Scizor should be listed as Clefable checks seeing as Flamethrower is on almost every set.
I don't agree with either of these, though it's moreso with Scizor than ferro. Scizor is absolutely a Clefable check. BP does like 60% minimum to clef, which is more than enough when clef can't even OHKO with flamethrower unless it gets a boost. Furthermore, not all Clefable sets run flamethrower these days because Heatran walls that set completely, which leaves Clefable with running different moves in its 4th slot such as knock off, t wave, or ice beam, all of which Scizor doesn't care about. Scizor is one of the best fairy checks in the tier and should not be removed as a Clefable check.

Yeah, pretty much what Clone said about Scizor and Ferrothorn. Also, I decided to keep Landorus-T and Mega Sceptile as Mega Manectric SI's because they can come in for free on its STABs, and HP Ice isn't exaclty the best move to be spamming against switch-ins anyway. I like the other suggestions, though. Thanks!

Can I nominate Hydreigon for checking Bisharp, Heatran, Mega Slowbro, Tyranitar, starmie, and magnazone? At the very least it qualifies as a NSI for all of these with the Draco Meteor, Dark Pulse, Superpower set.

Last edited:

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Bisharp is not a Slowbro switch in since most of the time slowbro is just spamming scald or twave. Starmie isn't that great either since it loses to the cm set or needs Tbolt to actually touch Slowbro in the first place. Tyranitar doesn't make sense for the same reason as bisharp, they both hate scald burns.
Magnezone and hydreigon seem fine to me.
He means that Hydreigon is a NSI to TTar/Bish/Starmie/Magne/Tran, not that TTar/Bish/Mie/Magne/Tran are NSI to Slowbro

This is a really helpful resource! But it would be nice to also have an alphabetical list of all the pokemon that you have listed according to viability rank, because oftentimes when I want to look over checks to a pokemon that my team is weak to, I don't always know the exact ranking of that pokemon. Listing them by viability rank is helpful for finding pokemon that your team needs to check, but if you already know what pokemon you need to check, it would be easier if there was an additional list of everything listed alphabetically, not by tier. Either way, I always use this when teambuilding now, so thank you for making it.

This is a really helpful resource! But it would be nice to also have an alphabetical list of all the pokemon that you have listed according to viability rank, because oftentimes when I want to look over checks to a pokemon that my team is weak to, I don't always know the exact ranking of that pokemon. Listing them by viability rank is helpful for finding pokemon that your team needs to check, but if you already know what pokemon you need to check, it would be easier if there was an additional list of everything listed alphabetically, not by tier. Either way, I always use this when teambuilding now, so thank you for making it.
There is a viability list here that is easy enough to skim over. This is what the viability in this thread is based off of. The viability in this topic may be slightly behind if there was a recent update, but it is pretty close regardless.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Keldeo and Azumarill should be NSI for Volcarona and Gastrodon should be removed altogether. Passho Berry is common in the case of the two formers to deter them a bit while Giga Drain can be pretty much found on the majority it not all of the Volcaronas you'll be seeing, making Gastrodon a complete liability as a check for this.

Should Whimsicott be counted as a Mega Slowbro SI Check or are you skipping it because its low and/or not common enough to be considered? Or is there something else?

It has the ability to switch in on Psyshock and Scald and not be 2HKO'd and Prankster Encore can make it fear Boosting.

Just curious.

Okay, updated with the Hydreigon and Volcarona stuff. I didn't add Whimsicott for Mega Slowbro since, while it certainly switches in decently, it has a really hard time actually beating Mega Slowbro unless you run Giga Drain or something.

Reactions: AM
Why is Noivern considered a Lando switch in? Last I checked HP Ice is very common
It switches in on Earth Power (and a few other moves for that matter) and KOs with Draco Meteor. As long as something can switch in on the threat's STABs comfortably and win, I count it as a switch-in.

Where are Rotom-W's SI's and NSI's? I can't seem to find them...
Rotom-W pretty much exclusively runs passive defensive sets, and I decided to focus on things with significant offensive presence, be it immediate or through boosts. I might add passive things eventually, but I decided not to for now since this is supposed to help people with teambuilding and no one really looks at passive things like Rotom-W and thinks, "I really need a check to that thing or I'm gonna get swept."

Okay, updated with the Hydreigon and Volcarona stuff. I didn't add Whimsicott for Mega Slowbro since, while it certainly switches in decently, it has a really hard time actually beating Mega Slowbro unless you run Giga Drain or something.
May as well remove heatran and tyranitar from Hydreigon's list of checks as well. Not sure how they're even NSI let alone SI. They just don't beat the common Superpower sets at all.

First of all thanks for the great work.

Personally i do not think that Volcarona is a switch-in for Breloom because of Rock Tomb, which completely destroys Volcarona. By using Breloom Rock Tomb is a very good coverage to hit flying-typs extremly hart on the switch-in, so i think it would be better to put Volcarona in NSI.

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
First of all thanks for the great work.

Personally i do not think that Volcarona is a switch-in for Breloom because of Rock Tomb, which completely destroys Volcarona. By using Breloom Rock Tomb is a very good coverage to hit flying-typs extremly hart on the switch-in, so i think it would be better to put Volcarona in NSI.
Agent Gibbs has stated multiple times that he bases it off STABs. Can't say I really agree with it as resisting STABs does not equal switching in safely but that's how it works.

Keep in mind that the goal of that category right now isn't to find perfect switch-ins to everything. It's to have something to throw in front of a threat so that it can't just spam its STABs all over you and punch huge holes in your team for little risk. Sometimes that's really all a team needs to play around a certain threat since momentum and offensive pressure will generally do the rest of the work. Yeah, something could hit you on the switch with a coverage move, but that's less likely since it's riskier to spam a weaker coverage move on switches than to spam a strong STAB move. The mere existence of such a conditional switch-in puts the opponent under pressure, forcing them to go from things like, "Cool, I can just spam Landorus's Earth Power and cause massive damage every time," to, "Do I click Earth Power and risk giving Latios a free switch, or do I go for Knock Off and risk letting Keldeo come in easily?" That little bit of breathing room can make an enormous difference. Besides, if I were to just limit switch-ins to things that switch in perfectly safely, then there'd be few if any Pokemon listed under some threats (think things like Landorus and Kyurem-B), implying that these Pokemon are nearly impossible to switch into at all when in practice that's not true.

I'll go ahead and clarify this one last time. As long as a Pokemon can switch into a threat's STABs somewhat comfortably and win, I'll count it as a switch-in. Eventually, I do plan on splitting the current SI category into perfect switch-ins and conditional switch-ins (which will give me a lot of room for "grey area" checks), but it'll be a while before I have time to do that. For now, that's the definition I'm using.

p2

Banned deucer.
I'd put Porygon2 into Lati@s SI, Excadrill SI, Mega Manectric SI, Starmie SI, Mega Aerodactyl SI, Raikou SI and Mega Sharpedo SI

How is a Manaphy a switch-in to Gengar when it is 2HKOed by both Shadow Ball and Sludge Wave? Oh, and Goodra can safely switch into Gengar and OHKO back with Draco Meteor.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
How is a Manaphy a switch-in to Gengar when it is 2HKOed by both Shadow Ball and Sludge Wave? Oh, and Goodra can safely switch into Gengar and OHKO back with Draco Meteor.
Back in December Branflakes325 posted a really good team with the innovative specially defensive Manaphy. It may sound weird, but the specially defensive set is really useful, acting as a counter to Gengar and a hard check to Landorus, two Pokemon very hard to deal with for defensive teams.

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Sludge Wave vs. 240 HP / 252+ SpD Manaphy: 146-173 (36.4 - 43.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 240 HP / 252+ SpD Manaphy: 165-195 (41.1 - 48.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 240 HP / 252+ SpD Manaphy: 165-195 (41.1 - 48.6%) -- 12.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 240 HP / 252+ SpD Manaphy: 181-214 (45.1 - 53.3%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 240 HP / 252+ SpD Manaphy: 181-214 (45.1 - 53.3%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Anyway, I agree w/ adding Goodra as a switch in.

Yeah, back when I started putting this thing together in early March, I seem to recall there being some hype surrounding specially defensive Manaphy (including the team that Aragorn the King mentioned), so I added it to Gengar's section. Not sure how common or good it is now, though, so I guess I could remove it if need be. The Porygon2 and Goodra stuff has been added.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)