OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
In that case, you'd want Politoed, Tentacruel, Electric reist or immunity, grass resist, hazard setter, and then some basic stall pokes, like spinblocking if really necessary, fighting resists, or landorus, dragonite, and reuniclus counters. Especially necessary would be a Thundurus-T or Breloom counter, as sometimes these things can 6-0 rain stall just on their own. Most of the pokemon we listed above fit into these roles.

Does the effect of Gyro Ball work the same with Trick Room up or is it completely useless since the slower pokemon goes first?

LilOu

PO poopyhead
Does the effect of Gyro Ball work the same with Trick Room up or is it completely useless since the slower pokemon goes first?
Gyro ball's power increases based on the difference of speed between the attacking pokemon and the target. Trick room only makes the slower pokes move first (it doesnt affect the speed stat). Therefore, your answer is yes, it works the same.

So, yesterday, on Pojo Forums (where there is an area for “RMT's”, similar to those of Smogon's), were, I encountered one team that utilizes a Metal Burst Aggron set, and it is one I have not encountered before, and, as such, it piqued my interest. The exact set, is as such:

Aggron @ Full Incense
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Metal Burst
- Stone Edge
- Iron Tail
- Earthquake

I'd imagine most know the standard Wish Chansey set, so I won't add that. Since Wish Chansey can heal massively (and I'm not sure, but I think it can completely heal Aggron), thus greating increasing Aggron's longetivity and to continue to put out consistent Metal Bursts without much worry.

So, my exact question is if this is viable in the OU tier (and potentially any other tier in competitive battling where the combination can be legally used).

TGMD

ƧÏÐÈ¥¯ÏĈ¼Á°¿±³´µ¶·¸¹º»ŤûŠť²ØéŋŌ
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So, yesterday, on Pojo Forums (where there is an area for “RMT's”, similar to those of Smogon's), were, I encountered one team that utilizes a Metal Burst Aggron set, and it is one I have not encountered before, and, as such, it piqued my interest. The exact set, is as such:

Aggron @ Full Incense
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Metal Burst
- Stone Edge
- Iron Tail
- Earthquake

I'd imagine most know the standard Wish Chansey set, so I won't add that. Since Wish Chansey can heal massively (and I'm not sure, but I think it can completely heal Aggron), thus greating increasing Aggron's longetivity and to continue to put out consistent Metal Bursts without much worry.

So, my exact question is if this is viable in the OU tier (and potentially any other tier in competitive battling where the combination can be legally used).
Aggron is pretty awful in OU. It has terrible typing, one that's weak to a whole bunch of the most common types in OU. It has no Speed whatsoever and although some may think its Defense makes up for that, it just simply doesn't due to its typing and Special Defense. One of the best likely scenarios for that set is that Aggron will be knocked down to Sturdy and take out the opponent with Metal Burst. You would absolutely have to have a spinner AND a way of bringing in Aggron unharmed for it to come in with Sturdy intact. It's true you could just lead off with Aggron, but then it's just a 1 for 1 situation, which isn't a very viable strategy in OU. Unless, of course, you can manage to keep hazards away, find a way of bringing in Aggron unharmed, AND then bring it in on the turn directly after your Chansey uses Wish. It really is just a gimmick that won't work out well 99% of the time in OU, although I can't really comment on RU or UU, as I don't play those tiers. Maybe you've come across a huge RU / UU threat :)

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Small question, but how do you put a line through text? I see a lot of people do it around here, and I have no idea how they go about doing it.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Not really a question for here, but whatever. Wynaut?

[ s]Put text here[ /s]
Remove spaces.
Thanks! I just asked it here because I knew I would get a quick answer. Besides, it doesn't HAVE to be a competitive question to be posted in here.

I know this is a stupid thing to ask, but...since the threat of Ice Shard generally forces a Landorus out...how much does Weavile's Pursuit do, both Banded and Orbed?

I know this is a stupid thing to ask, but...since the threat of Ice Shard generally forces a Landorus out...how much does Weavile's Pursuit do, both Banded and Orbed?
Use the damage calculator

252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Landorus: 87-105 (27.27 - 32.91%) -- 83.67% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Landorus: 102-121 (31.97 - 37.93%) -- 95.61% chance to 3HKO*

Which is a guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rocks.

Overall, does... Badly. Either way, Ice Punch is a OHKO, but if +Spe... Yeah, Weavile is not as good a check.

I've been pretty absent over the past few months from here and I just want a quick refresher on what's been going on.

Mostly, I want to know what the results of the past few suspect tests have been (let's say since SV and Garchomp). I know bits and pieces but there isn't really a centralized database for this anywhere that I can find and I'd rather not spend an hour trying to find everything when someone who has just been active the past few months can tell me in 5 minutes :P

DeoD banned, TornadusT banned, Genesect banned, Sand Veil banned + Garchomp unbanned

Most to least recent

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Use the damage calculator

252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Landorus: 87-105 (27.27 - 32.91%) -- 83.67% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Landorus: 102-121 (31.97 - 37.93%) -- 95.61% chance to 3HKO*

Which is a guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rocks.

Overall, does... Badly. Either way, Ice Punch is a OHKO, but if +Spe... Yeah, Weavile is not as good a check.
i suppose he meant when switching out,

so 252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Landorus: 175-208 (54.85 - 65.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

and 252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Landorus: 204-240 (63.94 - 75.23%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

so it does quite some damage when Landorus switches out

Thanks everyone! Kind of dumbfounded on the DeoD one, considering how low his usage was, but hey, I haven't been around so what do I know of the current state of the metagame?

How on earth are you supposed to find those tier-hubs, if I may ask? I can't seem to navigate there at all from the main page.

I've been battling for a couple months now, and I win more than I lose, but I want to to increase the win to lose ratio. My concerns have been focused around my team and my own abilities, so my question is: How do you know if the problem is you or your team?

How come there is never a concrete definition of the terms "counter" and "check". I understand there is a thread regarding the definitions but I find it ridiculous that so many people can have different opinions and justify them.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
There is this ongoing thread that aims to smooth these definitions out, but until it is concretely defined people will never agree on it. Part of the problem is some people consider checks to be defined by how well they can wall something throughout the match where others talk about them to be one-shot revenge killers.

Very simple, but important question:
Are luck items still banned or not?
I checked this page multiple times form items, but the only thing it talks about is Soul Dew.
Does this mean I can use Quick Claw, Thick Club, and Bright Power on my teams?

A long time ago, when I used to sort of lurk and wanted to get into DPP I had found an excel sheet that you could plug moves into for an individual pokemon and it would spit out a number, taking into account move coverage and power. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Anyway, was wondering if there was something similar for current gen. I know about this, but it doesn't work on my word, and in truth I'm actually looking for something far simpler, just with move coverage really. Thx for y'alls help. :toast:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)