Project OU Weekly Research | v2 hosted by Terrakion. coming soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
For the record so we can get this out of the way I just want to point out that user Giagantic is actually a Decepticon in disguise. I mean not so much disguise anymore only an antagonist would go
Wahahahaha!
So yes, now that you all know the truth we can accept it and move forward. Thank you for reading.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I bet Volcanion would make a great cup of tea (I mean this in the most un-British way possible)

Also in

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
How you went about building with this pokemon

This is a pretty fun bulky offense team that I've been using a bit lately with volc, so I thought that I might as well post it here. Basically specs volc hits like a truck and can decimate teams when used in tandem with pivots. MMeta has tpunch to pressure waters, pursuit to trap lati twins, and stabs to hit shit hard and wallbreak. It is a cool fairy check for fairies like mega alt and mdiancie that threaten volc while also checking clef, which normally can set up vs volc on the switch. Starmie is the mandatory hazard removal with volc and is a cool wallbreaker that can not only pressure waters but also not make me get rid of rocks when i set them up. It checks rock types and shit that volc doesn't wanna deal with while also beating fat grounds/dragons with ice beam. lando is a fat, slow pivot that can sap up hits from physical attackers and punish random u-turners. After that, fast wisp tran was added to check a few random threats to the team like bisharp and tflame while also being a fire type aside from volc to check shit like sciz. lastly, celebi was added as a mon to break waters and check most of them while also being a possible nasty passer into volc for late games vs fat teams, and its baton pass can come in very handy for gaining momentum and free switches for volc when shit like rotom is forced to pivot out. This team is a lot of fun to play with and I recommend that you guys should at least try it out when you have the time to. If you find weavile annoying to deal with, you can use talon>tran or bp mmeta if u want, but I don't like teams that are too reliant on starmie for hazard control and weav isn't usually a problem to play around if you play well since it can't switch in on anything bar celebi, who's clicking bp 90% of the time anyways.
Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Thunder Punch
- Pursuit

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 72 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Sludge Bomb

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Fire Blast/Magma Storm/Flamethrower (depending on ur luck)
- Taunt
- Toxic

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Baton Pass
- Giga Drain
- Nasty Plot

This team is a pretty standard rain, but with volcanion as a rain wallbreaker along with tornt to make stall not a terribly annoying matchup. SD U-Turn Msciz is cool for gaining momentum vs a lot of builds while also being a cool wincon since rain sweepers pressure so many bp resists that can also check quite a few key threats like clef, mdiancie, etc. Politoed is pretty much mandatory on rain builds and is a solid pivot for some shit like tran and many other mons when u dont want your rain sweepers to take damage. Seis was added as opposed to kingdra since this team was raped by elecs at this point and I wanted a more solid pivot into them than a mon neutral to electric. Volc+Tornt forms a potent wallbreaking core that can remove as well as pressure a bunch of threats to rain. LO Hurricanes and Splash Plate Rain boosted steamers put a ton of pressure on rotom, especially since it doesn't have reliable recovery, fire STAB on volc covers the defensive grass types that tend to give rain trouble, volc can be an emergency check to mzam, tanking any hit and clicking steam erruption to OHKO it back, LO power from tornt ohkos every variant of ttar bar like 252/252 spreads, but those don't exist and are a snackwrap for rain sweepers regardless, and volc can check zardy even in the sun with splashie steamer into a lo superpower from torn. Also, volc can beat azu pretty handily so that's always nice. LO Torn+SPlate Volc can exert a ton of pressure on stall as well as balanced build with their immense wallbreaking power. If you find breaking stall, specifically chansey, to be too hard for you to do, then you can change volc to a LO variant and run superpower. Kabu is a physical rain sweeper that can check talon and spin away hazard if need be throughout the game. If you really want rocks on the team, you can drop sludge wave on seis for it, but I don't really recommend it.
Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

Volcanion @ Splash Plate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 164 SpD / 96 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Encore
- Rest

Seismitoad @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 60 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin

Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Taunt

I know that everyone and their mom hates stall, but I thought that it was an interesting idea to try volcanion+sab stall since they complement each other really well. This team is centered around using sab to win the hazard game+wearing down the opponent with rocks+status since volc and bro both spread status. Volcanion checks annoying fairies, fire types, and other mons that are annoying to sab. Sableye bounces away rocks for volc, beats ground and rock types (bar diancie) that threaten volc and is an all around really good mon that gives u the hazard matchup at team preview. Chansey was added as a cleric to heal random toxics and shit off of volc, sponging special hits, and checking diancie who was a huge threat to the central core. Physdef BB Skarm helps the team with offensive bug types like mhera and mpinsir while also providing hazard removal and phasing. Slowbro was to check shit like zardx that i was weak to while giving me a secondary defensive water. Lastly, celery helps vs serp and loomer. If you legitimately don't like defensive volc, than please feel free to run specs, but I personally prefer defensive on this build. It's a pretty solid team, but of course it's stall so no one wants to face this shit.
Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
- Knock Off
- Recover

Volcanion @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 112 Spe
Impish Nature
- Haze
- Toxic
- Scald
- Flamethrower

Chansey @ Eviolite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Calm Mind
- Thunder Wave

Celebi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 84 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Recover
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sets Used

Rain Wallbreaker:
Volcanion @ Splash Plate
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Electric]/Hidden Power [Grass]/Earth Power

This is a volc set intended for use on rain teams and I saw this in next best thing, so I decided to build with it. This is basically the same as specs volc, but it's running max speed since it isn't really supposed to tank hits as well and is mainly there just too smash walls in half. Splash Plate is because steam eruption in the rain is so strong that you don't even need choice specs to blow through walls with it, and it obviously lets you switch up moves so that if shit like ferro comes in predicting the steamer, you can switch up to fire blast or whatever the appropriate coverage move is to blow them back and get a large threat to rain teams out of the way. Steam Eruption is used since it's literally the best offensive move in the game bar none and is made even stronger by the rain, fire blast is there to beat bulky grass types that normally trouble rain builds, sludge bomb is there to check fairies, and the last slot is filler mainly based on both the team and personal preference. HP Elec hits opposing volcs hard while still beating most bulky waters, hp grass beats water/ground types like quag and gastro, and earth power hits opposing volcs the hardest out of all its coverage moves if you really wanna run it.

Choice Specs:
Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Electric]/Hidden Power [Grass]/Earth Power

This is is mainly for more offensive teams that have a couple pivots that can allow volc to get in safely and punch holes in the opposing team with the opportunities that it gets to come in. Since this isn't gonna be on HO Rain like the other set is going to be, hazard removal is highly recommended with this set so that rocks don't put you on a timer and you can check shit like azu better. A pursuit trapper is also nice to trap the lati twins and offensive fairies deal with a lot of the bulky waters that threaten volc as well as some of the bulkier dragons like mlatias. The moves have already been explained in the previous set since they're the exact same, so there's no need to explain those. The EV spread is made to outcreep defensive lando and other things around that range, take a banded superpower from azu after rocks, and dumps the rest into special attack and makes it modest so that it can dish out as much damage as possible with disgustingly strong specs steam eruptions.

Defensive:
Volcanion @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 112 Spe
Bold Nature
- Haze/Roar
- Toxic
- Scald
- Flamethrower

Basically this is a set designed for fatter builds that can be a cool pivot into mons like scizor, azu, clef, etc while also being able to spread status and shit. Scald and flamethrower are cool stab moves, toxic hits shit like lati and most fat waters that want to try and wall you, while haze and roar both help deal with boosting sweepers. Sableye is a great teammate since it reflects rocks and can burn some dragon types that annoy volc while also knocking lati twins that attempt to switch in. Chansey with heal bell can help provide clerical support to get rid of annoying status like toxic for volc. Skarm clears hazards with defog while also being a backup check to scizor and shit to prevent too much pressure from being exerted on volcanion. All of these are stall mainstays, so it's not too big of a deal to run them, and there are probably a ton of other team options that you can run.

Strategies Used
- Volc+Pursuit Trap (lati twins are a primary switch in on offense)
- Volc+Sand (bandtar breaks down bulky waters and drill can spin)
- Volc+Magic Bouncer (mbouncer helps with hazard control for volc, volc has decent synnergy with both mbouners in the tier, and volc can break down shit for both)
- Volc+Rain (specs steam in rain can really help break down walls and u can use splash plate to lure in shit like ferro for rain sweepers)

General Strengths/Weaknesses
Pros:
- Insanely Strong Wallbreaker
- Checks Fairies bar Clef and MDiancie
- Has solid offensive synnergy with a lot of shit in the tier
- Doesn't rely on team support bar hazard conotrol to function too much
- Solid Coverage with some utility moves like haze and roar for defensive teams
- Probably some other shit I'm too retarded to think of.

Cons:
- Weak to stealth rock
- Weak to common attacking types in ground and electric
- Mediocre Base 70 Speed Tier
- Has trouble breaking through bulky waters
- Walled by commmon special walls like chansey without Superpower
- Probably some glaring weaknesses I can't think of

Place in Meta
Considering that the meta is currently shifting to a bulky offense/balance as opposed to heavy offense as it was before, the meta is actually good for a special wallbreaker like volcanion since it can come in on more passive mons and fire off either steam eruptions and appropriate coverage moves as needed. The recent influx of mega latias kinda hurts volcanion, but considering how easily it feasts on a lot of bulky teams, it doesn't hurt volc all too much. In the late stages of using Volcanion, I started to notice shit like suicune and jellicent see a resurgence to stop volcanion, but I'm not sure if that's just overreacting to new mon hype or an actual dead end. Overall, I think that volc is rly good in the meta rn and the way that it's shifting is beneficial to volc. (unless it shifts all the way to full stall, balance is generally its best matchup) If you look at just the top twent of the most recent usage stats, volc is a really solid check to 8 out of the 20 most used mons in the tier, and out of the remaining 12 only 2 can switch into volc, 1 is banned, and the rest can't switch into volc at all.
| 19 | Jirachi | 8.74347% | 233175 | 5.393% | 177823 | 5.493% |
| 18 | Scizor-Mega | 8.81807% | 253690 | 5.868% | 191496 | 5.915% |
| 17 | Skarmory | 10.20723% | 317545 | 7.345% | 260079 | 8.034% |
| 3 | Heatran | 18.37008% | 570911 | 13.205% | 464874 | 14.360% |
| 8 | Talonflame | 16.56207% | 577411 | 13.355% | 422924 | 13.064% |
| 10 | Azumarill | 14.66119% | 528335 | 12.220% | 402396 | 12.430% |
| 11 | Ferrothorn | 14.35688% | 589327 | 13.631% | 492378 | 15.210% |
| 15 | Bisharp | 11.39270% | 365388 | 8.451% | 258224 | 7.977% |

Last edited:
tagging those who signed up:

thanks everyone that signed up! you guys have between now and monday (4/25) night EST to write up your posts about whichever pokemon you took (volcanion lol). as a reminder:
If you take a test subject, it is expected that you'll post. Your posts don't need to be super lengthy & detailed, but they shouldn't be super short and simple. I'm not gonna put some arbitrary regulation on how many sentences you should have, but you should have at least a small paragraph.
and as a reminder to those unsure of what to post:
Things you can post include (but are not limited to):
  • strategies used
  • how you went about building with this Pokemon
  • general strengths / weaknesses you noticed about the Pokemon
  • if the meta is in favor of the Pokemon or not
  • sets you used with the Pokemon
remember: you aren't limited to these guidelines; they're just here to help in case you aren't sure what to post. if you'd prefer to focus on 1 specific aspect of the pokemon you selected rather than a broad overview, that's totally okay! if you're still lost, try checking out this post by Infernal.

if you didn't sign up but you'd like to post, feel free to do so, but just don't post if you haven't used the pokemon in awhile / at all. also, if you signed up, but you cannot find the time to post, don't worry about it! just please don't do it regularly :x

have fun (:

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Best Shiny Ever.

• strategies used
Volcanion fits best on bulky offense and balance imo, as they have the right amount of bulky support and fast mons that Volcanion needs to survive in OU. Volcanion is a very deadly mon with the right support, as Specs Volcanion has like no switchins save for a few mons (JelliGod, Mega Latias, etc.), and it has plenty of other sets, such as mixed Life Orb with Superpower for Chansey, Assault Vest, Shuca Berry, and even a defensive set that can check threats such as Azumarill. Overall, Volcanion is a very fun and versatile mon that can fit onto many teams in the current meta.
  • how you went about building with this Pokemon
I decided to build around a simple Volcanion + Tyranitar core, as they both are fearsome wallbreakers that support each other quite well, with TTar Pursuit trapping the Lati's and fast Electrics that annoy Volcanion and breaking down special walls, while Volcanion spams his STABs and breaks other stuff. Mega Alakazam is a big problem for this core, and the core was quite slow as well, so Thunder Wave Mega Latias fit the bill, adding a soft MegaZam check and another offensive Electric check, as well as a check to Volcanion and Keldeo, and a Thunder Wave supporter as well. Weavile and Bisharp seemed like big threats at that point, so I needed a check to them. It may seem a bit weird, but I decided to go with a Choice Scarf Keldeo as Keldeo and Volcanion have very similar checks and counters, and Keldeo added a win condition to the team late-game and checked both of the Dark-type threats. It also benefits from BandTar breaking shit as well. I added Ferrothorn for Stealth Rock support (I don't especially like it for SR but I needed a setter) and to check threats like Mega Gardevoir and Azumarill that Volcanion could get overwhelmed by. Even with Tyranitar, I still felt very scared of SD Talonflame, so I decided to go with Calm Mind Raikou as an alternative win con and as another Talon check, and it's fast as well, which is nice.
  • general strengths / weaknesses you noticed about the Pokemon
Volcanion's biggest strengths are in it's insane power with his dual STABs and coverage in Sludge Bomb, HP Grass, or Earth Power, that make him EXTREMELY hard to switch into. Defensive sets aren't as hard to switch into, but they check a larger variety of threats and are good on more balanced or defensive teams. It is weak to types like Ground, Electric, and Rock, which make him a bit hurt by the current meta, and he does have checks, but Volcanion is still a great mon to use and a very versatile and splashable one at that.
  • if the meta is in favor of the Pokemon or not
While I can't say that the meta is concrete in favor or not of this Pokemon since it only released like a week ago, but as it's shaping around Volcanion, I feel like it's in favor of it. While he does have checks, some of them are worn down by Steam Eruption burns, or worn down by hazards and damage. However, he hates Sand teams unless he is holding a Shuca Berry, and is quite slow without a Scarf (Which is a bad set ofc), but as he is causing mons like Suicune and Jellicent to become more popular because of his presence, it's safe to say that Volcanion will have a big impact on the meta.
  • sets you used with the Pokemon
Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power Grass / Earth Power

Volcanion's most popular set, Choice Specs, is a dangerous wallbreaker that has really shaped the meta due to it's massive power in it's STABs and coverage. I personally prefer HP Grass as Earth Power only hits opposing Volcanion, which Sludge Bomb poisons will wear down, but it's still an option.

Volcanion @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Haze
- Toxic
- Scald
- Flamethrower

Volcanion's defensive set, and it's my personal favorite, as it checks a lot of threats like Mega Gardevoir and has Haze to stop set-up sweepers. However, it is worn down easily, especially with Volcanion's SR weakness, but it's still a really cool set on fatter builds.

Volcanion @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power Grass

I actually used this set for a bit before deciding that it was too weak and too easily outpaced by mons like Mega Lopunny to be very viable as a revenge killer / cleaner.

The Team I Used:

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Shiny: Yes
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Latias-Mega (F) @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Roost
- Thunder Wave

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed

Raikou @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Shiny Volcanion rapes my eyes

Anyway, this post prolly won't be that good but honestly idc and the round is coming to a close soon so I might as well get anything at all posted lol

Volcanion is a very strong addition to the OU metagame for a number of reasons. Its bulk and typing allow it to free up teambuilding a lot--especially on offense, where it provides a highly-splashable check to Azumarill which doesn't risk killing momentum as well as a Scald immunity to discourage Keldeo from spamming it mindlessly like it was able to in the pre-Volc metagame. It has also proved to be a valuable asset for more balanced and defensively-inclined teams with its typing and seemingly-perfectly-crafted movepool.

This isn't to say that Volcanion is perfect. Its low speed and special bulk hold it back a lot, with it being complete bait for fat specially-inclined dragons like Goodra, Mega Latias and Lati@s, Lum Berry dragons like Dragonite and fat Water Absorb/Storm Drain users like Gastrodon, Seismitoad and the ever-increasingly-viable Jellicent and leaving it easy to take advantage of for faster Pokémon. In addition, its typing is very much a double-edged sword. This is because, while it provides it with a very strong STAB combination in Steam Eruption and Overheat/Fire Blast as well as a host of resistances/immunities to common types in bug, fairy, steel, fire, ice and (with its ability) water, it also faces the dilemma of being weak to three very common types in electric, rock and ground--the latter two of which are somewhat ironic considering how it matches up against those types offensively. It also leaves it with a weakness to Stealth Rock, which can very easily cut into how long it can stay alive.

All in all, Volcanion is one of the top contenders in the metagame, and its impact is very obvious as we are seeing things which can take it on consistently, including Goodra, Jellicent, Mega Latias, Latias, Latios etc. rising in popularity for their ability to check or counter it.

Here are the sets which I have used over the 1.5-ish weeks since it was released, rated on a "good (reliable sets), bad (should only be used if desparate), ugly (please for the love of god don't use this god-awful set)" scale:

Reliable Sets:
Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Overheat / Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Grass] / Hidden Power [Ghost] / Hidden Power [Ice] / Hidden Power [Electric] / Earth Power
Volcanion @ Leftovers
EVs: 232 HP / 176 Def / 100 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Flamethrower
- Haze / Roar
Volcanion @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 96 HP / 232 SpA / 180 Spe
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Grass] / Hidden Power [Ghost] / Hidden Power [Ice] / Hidden Power [Electric] / Earth Power
Volcanion @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass] / Toxic
- Sludge Bomb
- Steam Eruption

Only use these if you're desparate:
Volcanion @ Expert Belt / Life Orb
EVs: 180 Atk / 144 SpA / 180 Spe (Expert Belt) OR 96 Atk / 232 SpA / 180 Spe (Life Orb)
Rash Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Superpower
Volcanion @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flame Charge
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power Ghost
Volcanion @ Power Herb
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Solar Beam

No matter how much I used this it was always extremely subpar:
Volcanion @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Sluge Bomb
- Hidden Power Grass / Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Electric / Earth Power

Good Teammates
Offensive Volcanion variants appreciate Pursuit support from things like Band/ScarfTar, and they also enjoy being paired with things which share and lure their threats, such as Keldeo and Heatran. Hazard control, while far from a necessity unless running Life Orb, is always appreciated due to its Stealth Rock weakness. VoltTurners to get it onto the field safely versus un-resisted hits is appreciated as it allows Volcanion to check things more times before it goes down. Finally, electric immunities are really useful for reducing the threat of being RK'd by fast Electric-types and makes it less of a Volt Switch fodder.

Defensively, Grass-types like Ferrothorn, Amoonguss and Tangrowth have good synergy with it. due to their resistance to Electric-type attacks. Tangrowth gets a special mention here for its restance to Ground-type attacks too, and its immense physical bulk just allows it to eat Stone Edges for breakfast. Electric-type immunities are, once again, very helpful, with Water/Grounds getting a special mention for their ability to stack roles by allowing for more burns to be spread by Scald. Hazard removal allows it to check things more often, and Pokémon which can take good advantage of its resistances make for naturally good teammates.

Conclusion
Use Volcanion. To paraphrase p2, it is "the saviour of teambuilding on ORAS" and it is something that every team must prepare for if they don't want to get stomped by it.
p.s. Steam Eruption as a move was such a retardedly-unbalanced idea by Game Freak that I can't help but freaking love it.

Last edited:

Giagantic

True Coffee Maniac
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
OM Leader
*Not gonna be a huge one as I didn't use it much outside of that one tour where I got to semi-finals.

Shuca (Ground)
Charti (Rock)
Wacan (Electric)

The above berries were what I experimented with and have found that Volcanion makes an excellent user of them allowing it to stay in on things like Landorus-Therian, Thundurus-Incarnate, and so on without fear of dying allowing you to KO them with your strong stabs.

Here are some calcs, one set with 0 hp investment and another with max hp investment:

-No Hp-
252 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Wacan Berry Volcanion: 157-186 (52.1 - 61.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-
252+ Atk Soft Sand Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shuca Berry Volcanion: 199-235 (66.1 - 78%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-
252 Atk Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Charti Berry Volcanion: 144-169 (47.8 - 56.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage
-252 Hp-
252 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Wacan Berry Volcanion: 157-186 (43.1 - 51%) -- 4.7% chance to 2HKO
-
252+ Atk Soft Sand Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Shuca Berry Volcanion: 199-235 (54.6 - 64.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-
252 Atk Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Charti Berry Volcanion: 144-169 (39.5 - 46.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after sandstorm damage

As can be seen from the above these berries effectively allow Volcanion to stay in on threats that would otherwise threaten it out giving it the room to make plays. I like to compare Volcanion's usage of berries to Empoleon who has been used in tandem with Shuca Berry in order to lure in a variety of ground types / Ground coverage carrying mons but unlike Empoleon has a much better offensive typing and movepool as a whole. I think the best strategy at the moment is making the opponent think you are either a Mystic Water Volcanion or some other variant such as Assault Vest allowing you to lure in that Landorus-therian who might be cautious of Volcanion due to the prominent scarf set.

I will be posting for the Choice Specs set which has seen the most attention from the newly added Volcanion. This is mostly used because of it's amazing base 130 spA and the ability to run modest. To compliment it's blazing stat it has good coverage in fire-water STAB in Steam Eruption and Fire Blast, Earth Power, Sludge Bomb, and Solar Beam, Focus Blast and for support it has Wisp and Haze. First, I want to say the addition of Volcanion will definitely cause the spike of usage from M-Latias who has seem to be rising in usage and even more so since Volcanion is so threatening. The thing about Volcanion is that the tier really lacks true counters. Normal lati twins really struggle to repeatedly switch-in when factoring in burns. So far Volcanion has had a huge impact on the tier with it's incredible wallbreaking skills. I am sure that the meta will be able to adjust, but for now i think Volcanion switch-ins are lacking. It also possesses a good immunity to water and natural bulk. First off it has a really crippling rocks weakness which can pressure it from coming on and getting a kill. It also has a weakness to ground which is pretty common. I also felt that when you use Volcanion you have to predict a lot for it to be really effective. Overall Volcanion is able to check Sableye and is a menace to stall and balance. Except it gives free turns to M-Latias. Sorry but I won't be going into your (starry blanket) defensive set, although it looks pretty good.

When thinking about a build I wanted something to reliably deal with Latios, Latias, and M-Latias which are the most used switch-ins so I opted for Band Tar. And really I just used p2's team.
I really liked it because Latias is able to switch-in to electric, ground, and fighting types for Volcanion and Tyranitar. Then a really good offensive backbone in Landorus, Jirachi, and Keldeo. They provided fairy switch-ins, an answer to offense and sand, and a really decent win-con/stallbreak in SubCM Keldeo. I hope it is ok that a noob like me has tagged you, sorry :c. This build has the things I would want in a Volcanion build which are electric and ground switchin, healing wish support, something to beat chansey, and a strong dark type for Latis that maximize it's ability to wallbreak. I love this build!

Volcanion is a good mon rn, but really pressures teambuilders to add some sort of Dragon/Water to switch-in to it. I'm sure that people will start to innovate for dis beast as it gets more usage.

closing this round :3c

the posts being added to archive are this post by littlelucario and this post by gamer boy.

remember: the archived posts are simply the posts that best summarize the pokemon for future reference. not every post needs to summarize the pokemon; some people may just want to center their posts around one aspect, and that's totally okay. you don't need to follow the guidelines perfectly to post here; they're just there to guide you a bit if you're unsure of what to post.

~​

week #15

jellicent | mega garchomp | metagross
note: this is non-mega metagross only!
REMEMBER: you simply pick 1 one of these 3 (or 2 / 3 of them if you want :p) and post here saying which one you're taking. also, you can use any set you want!

the discussion period will start on 4/28 (at night in EST); those of you who want to participate have between now and then to play around with these pokemon.

have fun ^^

Last edited:
closing this round :3c

the posts being added to archive are this post by littlelucario and this post by gamer boy.

remember: the archived posts are simply the posts that best summarize the pokemon for future reference. not every post needs to summarize the pokemon; some people may just want to center their posts around one aspect, and that's totally okay. you don't need to follow the guidelines perfectly to post here; they're just there to guide you a bit if you're unsure of what to post.

~​

week #15

jellicent | mega garchomp | metagross
note: this is non-mega metagross only!
REMEMBER: you simply pick 1 one of these 3 (or 2 / 3 of them if you want :p) and post here saying which one you're taking. also, you can use any set you want!

the discussion period will start on 4/21 (at night in EST); those of you who want to participate have between now and then to play around with these pokemon.

have fun ^^
il be taking that mega garchomp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)