OUTC Round #9 [ENTRIES OPEN] .post332

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Going off of what Homeslice has said: perhaps the project should specify the specific sets of the pokemon? I noticed on some teams that the pokemon in question, Mamoswine and Celebi, haven't been really meshed together as a core. It is more so "these two pokes are together on the same team" than a "pair functioning together as a core."

The only problem I see with this is that it can constrain teambuilding and stifle creativity.. Some cool sets such as SD BP Celebi probably wouldn't have came about without it.

I totally see what you mean, and that's why I already decided which core will be next. Instead of forcing to run a specific set, I'll propose a niche core, to encourage people to build a whole team around that core. To put it simply, with that niche core your team won't be successful if you don't do the effort to really build around it because it requires more support.

I didn't want to fear people by being too harsh on the core, I wanted to propose a core underused but really good it itself. The next one will be more exotic, I really hope people will like building around it !

Though, I think the PDC team is fine, and I don't see why he would be blamed for using the best core avaible, because Keldeo is that good ;)
Everybody is voting following his own criterias, and it's fine. Viability, creativity, originality etc.

PS : By the way, I really like the quality of the teams posted at the moment, I hope it will be at a similar level when things get more complicated !

Honus

magna carta
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Looked at both PDC's and Co5ta's team, I see a few problems with both, but they're definitely the two top ones in the competition on paper and in practice, in the end I'll vote for Co5ta, just because the team looks like a very big shift of the standard and i'm pretty convinced that his team's great offense really can function as his defense. Nice teams from everyone this round, though; big ups to Remedy for hosting this as well.

Co5ta, because his team is actually original and fun to use.

I mean no offense to the guy, but PDC's team is another one of those horrendously boring cookie cutter OU teams that basically was slapped together fairly quickly. The Jirachi set is pretty cool, but I enjoy co5ta's team much more. Physical celebi, scarfchomp, and Iron Plate SD scizor are all solid pokes and pretty refreshing to use.

Voting for PDC. Co5ta's team seems like glorified Dragmag, and personally I don't find that creative. PDC's team looks like more thought and time was put into it. Not bashing Co5ta. Just my opinion.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Co5ta's team is pretty cool in that it uses that great Dragmag core, but I feel Homeslice's weatherless stallish kinda team is very interesting for this kinda topic. I'm surprised it hasn't got more votes

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Just to say that the votes are closed in 3 hours or so, and then I'll be opening the next round.
You can check what are the votes at the moment. PDC (11) and Co5ta (10) are both jostling for the winning position, the following voters could decide the final outcome !

MCBarrett

i love it when you call me big hoppa
Co5ta

I saw his post of that DragMag core in the OU Cores thread and decided to make a team around it myself. Never looking at this thread I made a team exactly like it except with Jellicent over Celebi and CB Scizor over the Iron Plate set (which I'm going to try out). Anyways this core is amazing and should really be drawing some more attention than it is. Also, the team is awesome and utilizes a ton of underrated members plus it showcases a very underrated play style in DragMag.

Reymedy

ne craint personne
The votes are closed !

The fight between Co5ta and PDC was close, and in the end... PDC wins !
(Don't let a Team rater win the next one or they'll think they're any good at this ;_; )
The value of his vote will be doubled and his team enters the hall of fame, congratulation to him !

Thanks to all the voters.

I hereby announce the Third round of the OUTC with a new unic core to toy with :

+

This core offers many different possibilities, and boasts a really solid defensive synergy.
Don't feel forced to build team fully around Trick Room : This isn't what I'm looking for when I post this core !
However, impress us, if you wanna play Slowking as a late game trick room cleaner, go ahead ! If you want to pair it with a CB Ferrothorn, go ahead ! If you want to be a lamer and build a facking stall... yea you can go ahead aswell.

Good luck to everyone, have fun !

Entries will be closed in 5 days, count it yourself !

Edit : Don't be afraid to post your opinion on the core, the opportunities you can identify, the particularities, the way it needs to be played to be viable etc..

Last edited:
Reactions: PDC

Scotti

we back.

Explanation

Well i decided to just make this a Trick Room team based around Curse Ferrothorn. Ferrothorns job is to sweep my opposing team which is easy after all the steel types are out of the way. Ferrothorn never really benefits from trick room because after a Trick Room is up it doesn't have a lot of time to set up and sweep, so i just made it a Late Game Sweeper. However the rest of my team really benefits from Trick Room. Victini can use V-Create like it was Close Combat because the speed drop actually make Victini faster and it is great for getting rid of steel types like Ferrothorn and Forretress. Smeargle is LVL 1 with Endeavor and Dragon Rage. Smeargle is my usual lead and if my opponent leads with a Hazard setter i can get Trick Room up Spore them and prepared to as much damage as possible with Endeavor and Dragon Rage. The best part is the only 2 common ghost types in Ou is Gengar and Jellicent, and even then you don't see a ton of them like Scizor and Politoad. With the lack of ghost types on my opponents team Smeargle can heavily cripple my opponent team making it easier to sweep with my team without anything getting in the way. Porygon2 is a great Dragon killer with Ice Beam making strong dragon types easy to take care of and with 2 steel types on my team it makes it easier to deal with strong dragons. Slowking and Bronzong are some of the main Trick Room setters and walls in this team. Slowking walls bulky water and fire types, while Bronzong is actually kinda offensive and can take out annoying threats with a normal gem explosion or it can setup Stealth Rock. Ferrothorn is my late game sweeper and he has max SpDef, so with the Def boost from curse he is pretty hard to take down. The easiest for my opponent to deal with it is with Fire types that i have to be wary of. In the end this is what i came up with i hope i can get some feedback for this team.

Importable

Slowking @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Trick Room
- Slack Off
- Scald
- Toxic

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Sassy Nature
- Curse
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Bulldoze

Victini @ Expert Belt
Trait: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 HP
Brave Nature
- Bolt Strike
- V-create
- Brick Break
- Trick Room

Bronzong @ Normal Gem
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Explosion
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Trait: Own Tempo
Level: 1
- Spore
- Trick Room
- Dragon Rage
- Endeavor

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Trait: Trace
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 Def
Quiet Nature
- Recover
- Trick Room
- Ice Beam
- Tri Attack

My first thought when I saw this core was, "Wow! The defensive and offensive synergies of a Trick Room/Hazard duo look pretty sweet as is: only Rain could really make it better." So in goes Politoed. Then I figured I'd need something to combat opposing Steel types so Slowking and Ferrothorn could sweep: in goes Magnezone, who also acts as a pseudo sweeper with Charge Beam. I felt like I was missing something to abuse the rain, so in goes Mixed Dragonite. Finally, I wanted something else that could abuse Trick Room fairly well, while giving me some much needed offensive presence. At first I tried Breloom, but that didn't work as well as the next guy, Conkeldurr.

Basic strategy is to Drizzle into Hazards+Trick Room into Sweep. Team is more on the stallish side to force out switches and/or set-up (which Trick Room ruins most set-ups).

Code:
Slowking @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Slack Off
- Trick Room
- Scald
- Psyshock

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Politoed @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Toxic

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Charge Beam
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 76 Atk / 252 SAtk / 180 Spd
Rash Nature
- Hurricane
- Thunder
- Aqua Tail
- Roost

Conkeldurr @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Fist
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- ThunderPunch

Reymedy

ne craint personne
Just a nitpick, your Conkeldurr would probably prefer a Brave Nature with 0 IV in Speed. I question the use of Magnezone, I don't feel like you need to trap Steels when you have Conkeldurr and a Hurricane/Aquatail Nite. You could use better this slot in my opinion. Get something to cover NP Thundurus and maybe Garchomp a lil better, maybe a Scarf because your team is fairly slow.

Lol for some reason I keep on forgetting this thread exists (why is it that trick room is cool but stall is lame huh Remedy :mad:)

Slowking @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Psyshock
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Dragon Tail

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Def / 140 SDef
Bold Nature
- Softboiled
- Aromatherapy
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

Politoed @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Protect
- Perish Song

Tentacruel (F) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spd
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin
- Protect

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind

Anyway, off the bat I wanted to make a stall team with this baby, Slowbro and Ferrothorn make a pretty solid defensive combo, and pair nicely with Blissey / Chansey, which make specially defensive synergy checking Keldeo and Lati@s for her, although they do miss out on Venusaur unfortunately.

The next step was a bit tricky, actually very tricky, running a rain team (Politoed + Tentacruel) jumped right out at me, the synergy would be pretty good, having rain control, checking Scizor, and spinning, although first I wanted to weigh my options for the team, as this jumped at at me too soon and it was a bit boring.

For some reason Scizor was on my mind, so I decided to theorymon some ending Pokemon to deal with Scizor and see how the rest of the team fell out. Jellicent was a complete dud, there isn't a way to have in the next 2 slots a general physical wall for the threats left, a way to deal with sun, and a spinner. Using Skarmory outright was ok, but there are quite a few physical Pokemon that Skarm missed at this stage, and it is hard to cover them while also having a spinner and a way to deal with Venusaur without using some sub-par Pokemon. Finally Zapdos was an option I mulled over quite a bit, as it did end up covering most threats well thanks to it already checking Venusaur, however at the end whatever Spinner one chooses does not synergize well with the team, and the team I had in might seemed inferior to the one I had previously theorymoned with rain.

This team is far from perfect, it has its weaknesses: CB-Tyranitar can take out any Pokemon with the right prediction as well as trapping key Pokemon, with a little Magnezone support, my entire physically defensive front crumbles, CM-Jirachi, chesto-rest-Volc, ect. But overall, it looks pretty fine.

If anyone has any possible options I may have missed at this stage, I am all ears, especially for the Zapdos option as at least on paper, it worked out pretty ok.

Anyway, the last Pokemon was pretty simple: Skarmory, checking many of the Pokemon missed out on the team, and with that 6 Pokemon.

I am open to suggestions, especially some ev and moveset tweaks, but before anyone asks, these are the explanations to some of the odd things I have here:
-Chansey's spread prevents a 2HKO from Spec's Latios's Psyshock, while maximizing special bulk
-Politoed is running a specially defensive spread mainly to check CM-Reuniclus more effectively
-Slowking is running Sassy because I am cute and don't want Dragon Tail's power to go down ^_^

I am actually wondering if Ferrothorn with Bulldoze may help some of my weaknesses, any thoughts on this?

Finishing this, I kind of realized that Latias might be a better Pokemon here over Slowking overall... meh nobody is perfect, it works well enough. Its also kind of late here, so I am sure I have something silly wrong.

Last edited:

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mix Thundurus-T (ie the one with superpower), and Sub CM Jirachi look pretty annoying. Thundurus requires Chansey to be pretty low I guess, but Sub CM Jirachi will just destroy your team. I definitely recommend bulldoze on Ferrothorn (with atk investment prolly) just so you have a defence against it. I also highly recommend you give that Politoed Drizzle as I don't think Water Absorb will help you much!!!

This is my team!

Neptune (Tyranitar) @ Choice Band
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Aqua Tail

The weather setter of the team, CB TTar can be incredibly effective in the current metagame. I chose to run Aqua Tail over Stone Edge because I alreayd have Stone Edge on two of my other mons and as such Aqua Tail can be an effective tool vs rain teams. Rest everything else is pretty standard

Aurae (Gengar) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Pain Split
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Focus Blast

SubSplit Gengar is the lesser of the two substitute sets it runs it seems. However, SubSplit Gengar does fantastically by setting sub after sub, then pain splitting for major damage to the point that most LO sweepers are beaten by the set. STAB Shadow Ball and non-STAB Focus Blast offers nice coverage and LO quickens the Pain Split process.

Eonic (Terrakion) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Sacred Sword

Meet Terrakion, one of the best Revenge killers in OU. With a scarf, it outspeeds all other common scarfers apart from a speed tie with Keldeo(who is easily walled by Slowking) and Latios(who is picked off by Ttar).
The set is standard and forms a brilliant core with Ttar.

Thorns (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Spikes

Part one of the core, this is my spikes setter who is no slouch offensively either: Gyro Ball hits hard and can easily 2HKO switch ins to ferrothorn. I used protect at first, but switched after I observed ferro being repeated taunt bait. Spikes support helps the team in stalling out the other team(with Gengar and the defensive mons on the team) or converting 2HKOes into OHKOes.

Scorpius (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 200 HP / 64 Atk / 244 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

My pivot, Landorus-T is the glue of the team: it comes in on physical threats Slowking can't handle, sets up SR, gives crucial coverage and with U-Turn can easily gain momentum for the team. Lando-T is one of the key mons of sand bulky offense and a natural selection.

RU_Ready? (Slowking) @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Dragon Tail
- Slack Off

This mon slotted into the team perfectly. Before this, I used Jellicent(before the OUTC) but intrigued by the challenging core, I decided to tweak some sets, add in Gengar(in place of Specs Hydreigon) and use this as my Rain and Sun Counter. And it works very well. Dragon Tail helps phaze out any set-up sweepers, Scald is used for Burn and Psyshock to ensure Blissey can't wall the mon. Regenerator+Slack Off means sand residual damage is nothing and it does a brilliant job on the current team.

Feedback is most welcome and I'd like to thank Remedy for the challenging core set this time and for doing such a nice job of things.

Reymedy

ne craint personne
@ Scarfwynaut : Actually I don't like TR teams, I find it way to anti-metagame and match-up based. However I like to see team using defensive Slowking, or TR Slowking as cleaner since it counters a Keldeo in late pretty badly. Though, I don't think you can fit so easily Slowking on a classic defensive Rain team since it is in conflict with mons like Tentacruel. So in my opinion, you'll need some shifts (I have nothing against people changing their submissions by the way, as long as you don't do it to copy others.. but oh well I don't think someone will do that).

Can't get near a computer this week, I hate this core anyways. Ferrothorn isn't as good as he's made out to be. As of right now, I'd vote for vyomov, trick room isn't that creative given the two mons and his actually isn't as weak to common threats as other teams.
Maestro, why is Magnezone running HP fighting? Fire is better in all cases bar heatran and you can use HP ground for that.
Scarfwynaut's team is a close second for me, decent stall team but I don't play stall so no nitpicks.

Slowking is a solid defensive pokemon, Scald provides burn support, and he has phazing ability too. I decided to do something a little unorthodox with Ferrothorn; Curse sweeper. Like Snorlax in the good old days, Ferrothorn can boost his attack and defense to obscene levels, then keep using Gyro ball for heavy damage. Chandelure is a switch-in to fire moves, and with a scarf and max speed he outspeeds all variants of Heatran, which I see as being a solid threat. Tyrantiar is a weather changer, and in a situation where Ferrothorn is allowed to set up, the passive sad damage is excellent at wearing down other threats who may try and counter-setup. T-tar is also a great counter to the Lati twins, which pose a huge threat to this team. Starmie is here because it fills the role of a spinner as well as having a really nasty Hyrdo Pump, and between Natural Cure and Leftovers it has a lot of survivability. Lando is a defensive pivot and hazard setter who works well with T-tar, as well as providing a switch-in to electric attacks to save Starmie and Slowking, as well as using U-turn to deal with Celebi.

Code:
Slowking @ Leftovers
EVs: 200 Def / 252 HP / 56 SDef
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Dragon Tail
- Psyshock
- Slack Off

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- Stone Edge
- Crunch

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Def / 248 HP / 8 Atk
Relaxed Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Curse
- Gyro Ball

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 64 Atk / 200 HP / 244 Def
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

Last edited:
Mix Thundurus-T (ie the one with superpower), and Sub CM Jirachi look pretty annoying. Thundurus requires Chansey to be pretty low I guess, but Sub CM Jirachi will just destroy your team. I definitely recommend bulldoze on Ferrothorn (with atk investment prolly) just so you have a defence against it. I also highly recommend you give that Politoed Drizzle as I don't think Water Absorb will help you much!!!
Ha ha yeah no drizzle, changing that asap.

But about bulldoze, how much Attack investment should be used? I am thinking about using it over Protect, although I may be able to run Ferrothorn without Power Whip atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)