[OverUsed] Team Full Metal

Team Full Metal

Introduction:

Hello Smogon! My name is Nestle and this is a team I've been playing for a few weeks now. I've been using Hyper Offense teams almost exclusively since I started playing OverUsed, but eventually I became frustrated by how unreliable they were. I decided to build a team that focuses more on defense than offense so that I would have the least possible number of "Oh shit" moments while playing.

This is my first stall team, and although it has enjoyed some success, I think it has hit its plateau. (I can't get beyond 47 on PokemonOnline's Beta Server.)

It could use a bit of tuning up before I take it to the top, and that's where you come in!

The name is based on Full Metal Alchemist, a manga which I just finished. It was amazing, you should probably pick it up!

At A Glance:

1 Weak to Stealth Rock
4 Neutral to Stealth Rock
1 Resistant to Stealth Rock
3 Vulnerable to Spikes
2 Vulnerable to Toxic Spikes
1 Absorbs Toxic Spikes
0 Immune to Hail
2 Immune to Sandstorm

An In-Depth Look:

"Izumi"

Nature:
Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spe / 6 HP
Sleep Powder
Toxic Spikes
Leaf Storm
Hidden Power

Much like the ass-kicking housewife, Roserade is both beautiful and deadly. Sleep Powder incapacitates opposing leads, preventing them from setting up, and giving me the momentum I need to place the Toxic Spikes which will support my goal of winning through residual damage.
Leaf Storm is a powerful STAB attack that takes down the likes of Swampert and Hippowdon while breaking the Focus Sashes of Azelf and Aerodactyl as they Taunt to prevent Sleep Powder. Hidden Power Fire is useful against Forretress and Scizor that think they can come in and spin away my Toxic Spikes or get a free Swords Dance.

Azelf carries Taunt, which prevents Roserade from using Sleep Powder or Toxic Spikes. When Roserade squares off against Azelf, she first blasts it with Leaf Storm to break its Focus Sash, and then I switch to Hippowdon to allow the Sandstorm to finish Azelf off as it sets up Stealth Rock.

Aerodactyl, like Azelf, is a faster Taunt user that carries Focus Sash. The difference here is that Aerodactyl is immune to Sandstorm, so I can't just switch in Hippowdon to finish it off at the end of the turn. Against Aerodactyl, Roserade fires off a quick Leaf Storm while it uses Taunt. Then, I switch to Skarmory as Aerodactyl sets up Stealth Rock and try to finish it off with a Brave Bird, since Skarmory's defenses and typing allow it to take on Aerodactyl's attacks with ease.

This is an ideal lead match-up. Most people leave Swampert in to attempt Stealth Rock, hoping for Sleep Powder to miss, only to be OHKOd by Leaf Storm. This allows Roserade to put something else to sleep while retaining her Focus Sash.

Many Metagross carry Lum Berry these days, so this is a difficult matchup. Instead of wasting a turn on Sleep Powder, I set up one layer of Toxic Spikes and then switch to Skarmory, who laughs at Metagross's attacks, and sets up Spikes as it switches out. Even Explosion can't OHKO Skarmory (it doesn't even get close), so I am able to maintain momentum despite having an unfavorable lead matchup.

Most Jirachi carry Choice Scarf, and Roserade doesn't appreciate Iron Head or Trick, so my answer is to switch to Rotom-C. It takes Iron Head nicely and can receive Jirachi's Choice Scarf without becoming crippled.

Not all Infernape carry Fake Out, so I usually stay in and attempt Sleep Powder as they use Overheat or Stealth Rock. If Roserade is struck by Fake Out, I switch to Gyarados and use Roar, in case Infernape is of the Endeavor variety.

Machamp is a bad match-up, because it carries Lum Berry and can't be OHKOd by Leaf Storm. I'll usually set up a layer of Toxic Spikes and then switch to Hippowdon, who takes DynamicPunch like a champ.

Tyranitar carries Chesto Berry to protect if from Sleep, and Sandstorm breaks Roserade's Focus Sash, meaning that I only really get one turn here. I devote it to setting up Toxic Spikes, because with Sandstorm running and quite possibly Stealth Rock, Roserade has a hard time getting a second chance. Hippowdon can them come in and chase Tyranitar away, setting up Stealth Rock as it flees.

Gliscor is a faster Taunt user, so Roserade attacks with Leaf Storm to do some damage. Then, I switch to Gyarados as it uses Stealth Rock and try to finish it off with Waterfall.

This is a good match up. Because Heatran tends to carry Shuca Berry, Roserade has two chances to put it to sleep and set up Toxic Spikes.

"Sloth"

Nature: Impish (+Def, -Sp. Atk)
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs:
252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Earthquake
Stealth Rock
Slack Off
Roar

All Sloth wants to do is lounge about. Fighting is so troublesome, after all.
With its impressive defenses and typing, Hippowdon makes a great physical wall. I get ample opportunities to set up Stealth Rock, heal with Slack Off, and shuffle my opponent's team with Roar. Earthquake is a powerful STAB move that deals with Heatran, Lucario, Electivire, and Tyranitar. The Sandstorm also supports the goal of my team by chipping away at the Health of opposing Pokemon over time.

"Alphonse"

Nature: Impish
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Sp. Def / 6 Def
Brave Bird
Spikes
Roost
Whirlwind

Alphonse's armor-like body is extremely capable of taking punishment, and so is Skarmory's! Without a strong Fire Blast or Thunderbolt hitting his blood seal, Alphonse can set up Spikes, Roost of damage, and shuffle my opponent's team all day. I chose a specially defensive EV set to help it take special attacks better, since even without heavy investment into Defense, it is still capable of walling many physical attackers such as Gyarados and Gliscor.

I chose Shed Shell to escape from Magnezone; although Skarmory appreciates all the healing it can get, I felt as if Roost would be sufficient by itself. The ability to escape from Magnezone is far more important to me.

I chose Brave Bird over other options like Torment and Taunt because I like being able to KO Machamp, Breloom, and other low-HP Pokemon that stay in and attack despite their low health, expecting me to Roost or Whirlwind.

"Winrey"

Nature: Bold
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Wish
Protect
Thunder Wave
Flamethrower

Winrey is always fixing Edward's automail after he gets his ass kicked, and that's what Blissey does for the team. Wish helps to keep my team healthy, Protect is great for scouting for Trick or Explosion and guarantees that Blissey will survive to gain the benefits of Wish. I chose Thunderwave over Toxic because I don't like Toxic's Accuracy, and Thunder Wave allows me to do something against Pokemon like Salamence and Jirachi who are immune to Toxic Spikes. Flamethrower was chosen because Lucario, Scizor, and Forretress seem to be popular switch-ins against Blissey.

"Edward"

Nature: Timid
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spe / 6 HP
Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball
Leaf Storm
Trick

Small, fast, and full of surprises; these words describe Edward Elric AND Choice Scarf Rotom-C.
With Choice Scarf, Rotom-C is able to outspeed Gyarados (even after a Dragon Dance), Starmie, and Gengar, and kill them with Shadow Ball or Thunder Bolt. Leaf Storm deals with Hippowdon, Swampert, and to some extent Tyranitar (depending on health), who like to switch in to take Thunder Bolt or Shadow Ball.
Trick is a useful move against Pokemon like Blissey, Crocune, and Snorlax. It's much easier to break down defensive Pokemon with residual damage when they no longer have the versatility to switch moves. (Ever seen a Blissey locked into Softboiled with two layers of Toxic Spikes down? It's pretty funny.)

"Scar"

Nature:
Impish
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Def / 12 Spe
Waterfall
Roar
Rest
Sleep Talk

Scar spends a lot of time trying to get revenge for his fallen Ishvalan people, and Gyarados spends a lot of time sitting around not giving a shit about damage as it recovers and shuffles my opponent's team around. Also, now that it has evolved, it is going to get its revenge on humanity for laughing at it while it was a Magikarp.

Gyarados has absolutely amazing physical bulk, and can easily take on Pokemon like Heatran, Infernape, Lucario, and Scizor. Waterfall is a given, allowing me to deal a decent amount of damage and sneak a few surprise hits in while Gyarados is asleep.
Rest and Sleep Talk are here to keep Gyarados alive longer (which is important due to his weakness to Stealth Rock and the fact that he's one of the most important members. Without him I'd be vulnerable to a sweep by Pokemon like Infernape.)

Finally, I chose Roar because I like phazing my opponent's team and racking up Entry Hazard damage and end-of-turn Sandstorm damage. Also, when Gyarados uses Sleep Talk, he sometimes chooses Roar, which ignores negative Priority and can sometimes blow away slow Pokemon like Swampert, Vaporeon, and Breloom before they have a chance to act.

Threat List

Green means that it's only slightly threatening; it can be irritating, but it can also be dealt with pretty easily.
Orange means that it's a real threat, but I can handle it with a bit of prediction and assuming my team isn't in bad shape.
Red means that this thing rapes the shit out of my team. :(

I'm not going to post every single threat in OU, because honestly, most of them can be dealt with simply by switching into Gyarados or Blissey. Instead, I'm posting a few of the Pokemon that threaten my team, which I want to try to change my team to handle better. Please keep these guys in mind when rating/fixing my team!

Starmie
First I switch in Rotom-C, since it almost always tries to scout for a ghost by using Rapid Spin first. If I've revealed Rotom, I'll usually just try to attack it, since almost nobody tries to Rapid Spin while a ghost is still alive. With its Water/Electric coverage, it can be a threat to Gyarados, Skarmory, and Hippowdon, but Blissey is more than capable of walling its attacks and Rotom-C doesn't mind being Tricked a Scarf, and can OHKO it with Thunderbolt or Shadow Ball. The reason it is a threat is because not every player is the same, and sometimes I switch Rotom-C in to take Rapid Spin the moment I see Starmie only to be OHKOd by Life Orb Hydro Pump. Perhaps Rotom-C's EVs could be changed to help me deal with Starmie?

Machamp
Machamp is irritating only really because of its bulk and 100% chance of confusion with Dynamic Punch. Since Rotom is scarfed, it can't risk switching in to Payback. Fortunately, Hippowdon and Skarmory can take its attacks and Roar it away or set up in its face (assuming that I don't get unlucky with confusion.) It is worn down pretty quickly by entry hazards, sandstorm, and can be killed by Rotom-C's Thunderbolt when it's at about 40% health. Changing Rotom-C to a more defensive Sleep Talk version might be a good idea, as it could then survive a Payback and burn Machamp.

Salamence

Salamence is just such a bitch to this team. All I can really do is switch to Skarmory and hope to take an Outrage or Draco Meteor, and attempt to stall it out till it succumbs to Life Orb and Sandstorm damage. If it's got Roost...well shit.
Rotom-W
Rotom-W with Pain Split, Substitute, Hydro Pump and Thunderbolt is basically the antichrist. I can't touch it when it's under a Substitute, and not even Blissey can wall it thanks to Pain Split. Thunderbolt takes out Gyarados and Skarmory before they can phase it away, and Hippowdon is KOd by Hydro Pump, meaning I don't...really...have an answer to this.
This thing is definitely the biggest threat to my team at the moment. If used by a remotely competent player, it basically is a one-Pokemon army that prevents my victory. I HATE IT SO MUCH.

Gliscor
Offensive Gliscor is able to give this team problems, as it is immune to all of my Entry Hazards except for Stealth Rock, and the only Pokemon I have who can launch a powerful super-effective hit (Gyarados) is OHKOd by +2 Stone Edge, while also ignoring Intimidate. Also, it has Sand Veil to take advantage of my weather condition, making it even harder for me to hit it.
Fortunately, he's quite rare, which is one of the reasons why I replaced Blissey's Toxic with Thunder Wave.

I really have nothing to say that goes against this team.

I absolutely adore the way you presented it, and it's theme.
Very clever.

I also love seeing Gyarados presented in a new light, showing he doesn't always have to be a Dancer.

Very awesome.
(:

Hey I got your PM, thankfully most of your threats are rare and somewhat easy to fix. Skarmory + Gyarados + Hippowwdon = plenty of physical walls- one can probably go. Gyarados can be replaced by Lanturn, who can stop Rotom in its tracks as well as Starmie. Also, try making your Skarmory physically defensive, I don't think specially defensive versions are necessary with Blissey; he'll also help against Gliscor. Salamence is hard to patch up- try giving Blissey Ice Beam over Flamethrower to act as a Mixmence check.

That's all I got, hope it helped.

Hello!

Try a heatran instead of hippowdon, because you lack a fire attacker on your team and since heatran can setup SR it can play the same role as hippowdon except it doesn't have slack off, but that is quickly remided with wish from bliss.

Heatran @ Leftovers
EV's: 252 HP / 128Def / 128 Spe
Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Bold
Moves:

Stealth Rock
Taunt
Flamethrower/Lava Plume
Dragon Pulse/Roar/Toxic

This heatran set sets up SR for your team and also taunts the likes of Crocune, and blissey who would otherwise laugh at you. your choice of attack depends if you want a bit more power or a better burn chance. The last move slot is what you want, although dragon pulse is the prefered move as it allows you to come in on an outrage and KO dragon's. Roar is usuable to phaze although since gyara has it you don't have to worry too much. Toxic is also useful to take status mence and the likes on the switch. If you opt for toxic do not use lava plume. If you go with roar use lava plume to burn switches. And if you run dragon pulse, both are acceptable.

On blissey run toxic to cripple incoming glicors as well as Salamence and other threats.

And try out a sub pain split rotom

Good Luck!

I would run Hippo as the lead and use a more defensive Ros set. That way you won't have to worry about enemy toxic spikes at all since you aren't using Roserade as just a sack. She comes in easily on Suicune and Vappy (Last man Crocune is going to fuck you).

I am going to 2nd the movement of Hippo to the lead slot, and using Roserade as more of a Specially Defensive turret / Toxic Spikes setter/absorber upper mid-game.

Also, if you decide to do this, change Roserades Hidden Power to Ice, so you can combat Gliscor SO much easier. :D Not the best fix, but it certain helps!

You really have nothing to counter the exact Rotom set you gave. The only thing you can do, is sacrifice a pokemon to get its Substitute down, and then have your Rotom come in and Shadow Ball it. ><; I have no idea how to fix this weakness, without breaking out of your theme of a Stall team.

Good luck! Pretty standard Stall team, with pretty standard Stall Team weaknesses! Sorry I couldn't be of much more help!

Alright. Beta server. It funny how when it crashes everyone comes to the Pokemon Mysidia's server. hehe
Okay, first Skarmory doesn't need 252 Special Defence EV. It will take special attack better but you have Blissey. As we all know Blissey is the god at taking special hits. Something like 252 HP / 200 Def / 40 SpD / 16 Spe is pretty good. Blissey seems okay but Toxic seems like a better option if you ignore the accuracy. Luck is part of the game so blaming it and hurting your team isn't a good option. One good threat that comes to my mind at this moment is Zapdos. Sub Roost versions can even take out Blissey. Okay so even with Toxic you won't be able to stop Sub Roost Zapdos. But Hippowdon can Roar it out. Of course it can survive any random Hidden Powers with all that Special Defence investment. With Thunder Wave Blissey can't stop offensive Zapdos with Roost. Toxic is a good option in my opinion. Also you may want to give it a little bit more Special Defence. With Toxic Blissey can handle pure tanks like Swampert. Hippowdon can be your lead. If you do make that change then Roserade can be replaced by Tentacruel. Which is much better with Rapid Spin. And of course my favourite Knock Off. If you keep Roserade as your lead then replace Rotom for a Spiritomb. Dusknoir is a another good option. Both can learn Trick if you need it. With a little Special Defence they can take Hydro Pumps from Starmie. Spiritomb also takes care of Rotom-H. Maybe a Sleep Talk version. Which is deadly moveset in my opinion. Salamence. Hmmm.... you just need to get a little better on you predictions. If you fear it that much then use Ice Fang on Hippowdon. If you can predict and lead Draco Meteor on Blissey then Hippowdon can Roar it or stall it. Toxic on Blissey can help against incoming Salamence. With Stealth Rock, Sand Storm, Life Orb (often) and Toxic (if you get it on Salamence) Salamence won't be living for long. Gliscor the ultimate Stall breaker. If it is causing you too much trouble then definitely replace Earthquake for Ice Fang on Hippowdon. Takes care of both Salamence and Gliscor.

Sorry for the small rate. Good Luck! I'll come back if I get some free time later! I forgot one thing. I love stall teams!

I love this team good job I will try to do a better rate later but for now ill just recommend a couple small changes.

For Blissey I would give it ice beam over flamethrower and a slightly more offensive spread of 152 hp/252def/104 spA. This lets you ohko gliscor, who always thinks it can come in and roost it away. Lets be honest, blissey isn't gonna be hurt much by the lower hp investment for physical attacks and it doesn't need any help with special attacks. Scizor and Lucario cant do a thing with Gyarados and Hippowdon on your team. Forretress setting up could be annoying though im not sure exactly what to do yet. Im also debating toxic over thunder wave but im too tired to decide right now lol.

Also, as long as rotom as scarfed id give it a spread of 200 HP, 56 spA, 252 spe. It doesnt need the power that much and really benefits with its low hp stat.

Right now last pokemon stat uppers will beat you every time. They are uncommon honestly, but crocune, curselax, cursepert (if rose if gone anyway) etc. will easily sweep when you cant phaze them out. This is a simple fix that patches up your weakness to Rotom and other special attackers like azelf and gengar that can beat everything and possibly explode on blissey.

Spiritomb @ Leftovers
252 HP, 40 def, 216 spD
Calm Nature
Curse, Will-o-wisp, Shadow Ball, Rest/Sucker Punch/Pursuit

Curse will take 50% of tomb's health and force the other pokemon to lost 25% of its own every turn. It cant be removed by rest and dooms them if they are the last pokemon.

Spiritomb also serves as the single best rotom counter in existence. Extra spD to survive 3 life orb shadow balls from gengar because gyarados and hippowdon can laugh at machamp anyway. Not sure exactly what to put in the last slot wish from blissey is better for recovery than rest so sucker punch could help against fast attackers while pursuit could remove them if they want to switch. This leaves you open to will-o-wisps though.

Ill try and rearrange a couple things later but thats it for now nice job with your team!

Thanks guys! I'm going to test Hippowdon as a lead (Which I feel will be a lot more reliable, due to having solid STAB and breaking Sash right off the bat) and Tentacruel replacing Roserade for Toxic Spikes support.

I'll also try Ice Beam on Blissey and see if it makes it easier to fight off Gliscor and possibly even Salamence. Spiritomb is probably less helpful overall than Rotom due to typing but it's a cool Pokemon so I'll see how that goes.

I'd appreciate any other comments or suggestions, as this team has a long way to go!

This is about as solid as you can get with stall, so I'll just chime in with a few comments. You have immense trouble with Calm Mind Pokemon, such as CM Wish Jirachi and CM Suicune. Flamethrower on Blissey will not help with this, so definitely run Seismic Toss over Flamethrower. I'd say also run Toxic over Thunderwave, as the poison damage will help you beat things like non-Rest Suicune easier. Toxic also helps hit Zapdos, which would mostly stall out your entire team if its the SubRoost variant.

Everything else is fairly ok, not much can really be changed unfortunately.

I don't know why but I always prefered Hidden Power Ground on Roserade to hit Heatran switch ins and leads because Heatran is a much more common lead than Forretress and Scizor rarely leads and because Hidden Power Fire is the standard nobody switches in their Scizors anymore.

Brave Bird is a liability on Skarmory in my opinion even though it has recovery. Maybe use Taunt instead because a lot of your team can be set up on by Calm Mind users like Suicune who threaten your phazers with their moves.

Pretty solid, though. Good Team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)