Pet Mods General Discussion Thread

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
the programmers probably do not want to do every pokemon so for now the only ones up for discussion will be the pokemon below

charizard
pikachu
lucario
empoleon
fearow
muk
Why those pokemons in particular lol? Also,
I wouldn't play this mod. By removing the choices of your moves, you basically invalidate the notion of mindgame itself, as you can't try to surprise your opponent and you remove the unpredictability from the game. Basically, that mod would be only matchup and RNG based, the two biggest fun-killers in pokemon imo.

Tier Shift: The Pet Mod
Tier Shift but instead of just blanket buffing everyone by tier, each Pokemon get's to be buffed more specifically while falling under the same guidelines set by the tier their in. For example let's say everyone in PU get's a BST stat boost of 40 allocated as you wish, 6 new moves and a new rank 5 ability. This wouldn't be the actual rule for buffing the tier but it demonstrates idea.

Standard format of doing slates, although I'd do slates by tier so that people have more freedom in submitting
ie: I do a NU Slate and people submit any NU pokemon they want to buff.
Pros:
Who doesn't love making bad Pokemon good? It's a spin on one of the most popular OM's (might not be a pro but I'm keeping it here)
Cons:
Very Very Very similar style to other buffing-centric pet mods which has been done to death. Not at all original. Tiers are always shifting and sometimes drastically so.

Tier Shift: The Pet Mod
Tier Shift but instead of just blanket buffing everyone by tier, each Pokemon get's to be buffed more specifically while falling under the same guidelines set by the tier their in. For example let's say everyone in PU get's a BST stat boost of 40 allocated as you wish, 6 new moves and a new rank 5 ability. This wouldn't be the actual rule for buffing the tier but it demonstrates idea.

Standard format of doing slates, although I'd do slates by tier so that people have more freedom in submitting
ie: I do a NU Slate and people submit any NU pokemon they want to buff.
Pros:
Who doesn't love making bad Pokemon good? It's a spin on one of the most popular OM's (might not be a pro but I'm keeping it here)
Cons:
Very Very Very similar style to other buffing-centric pet mods which has been done to death. Not at all original. Tiers are always shifting and sometimes drastically so.
You could help me with my own mod, then. That's one of the things I wanted to do, but doing this alone is dangerous. I'll start working on it by December.

This basically sums up my thoughts on this Pet Mod, except the last sentence. Optimons immediately comes to mind as being this Pet Mod but with more options and creative opportunities. (obviously you haven't decided on exact rules but still)

I discussed this concept with some people in the Dragon Heaven server ( Pika Exreme, Brodaha, and Ejthewolf ) and the code is ready to go. This pet mod is almost an OM, but it's still probably too complicated to use in the team builder to be a smogon OM.

Hazards: The Stackening
This is composed of pretty simple rules:
- There is a Stealth Rock clone for every type.
- They all stack with each other, as well as Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and Sticky Web.
- Any pokemon can learn Stealth Rock or the new typed hazards as long as they learn another move of the same type.​

Yes, Rapid Spin and Defog still remove all hazards. Abilities that would increase / decrease / negate damage from certain types of moves will effect how much the pokemon with said ability will take from hazards. This includes Wonder Guard, as well, so Shedinja can switch in on Stealth Ice all it wants.

Also the moves are indeed called "Stealth [Type]" as in Stealth Normal, Stealth Water, etc.

Last edited:
Hmm... Spinners are basically essential, meaning spinblockers becomes popular. High ghost presence means Dark types and Steath Dark. Stealth Fairy and Stealth Bug should therefore be good to counter darker as unlike fighting, nothing is immune (ghosts being immune is a particularly serious issue)

So would something like creating Pokemon from Star Wars be a good idea? If it is, nobody copy it.
Here's every character I can think of: Luke, Anakin/Vader, Obi-Wan, Leia, Han, Chewie, R2-D2, 3PO, The Senate/Palpatine, Darth Maul, and the one played by Samuel L. Jackson. And you can really compress that to Jedi, Sith, Droid, Person with Blaster, and Chewbacca, because the overlap is immense.

Honestly, limiting these mods to a single series is a terrible idea. You rapidly run out of interesting characters, and there's a huge guarantee that exactly 2 people are familiar with any character that isn't massively iconic. In fact, the first half of Crossover Chaos v1 shows exactly what happens when the Pet Mods community deals with characters they don't really know - complete idiocy. Even when you eliminate these issues, you'll likely have to stretch things a LOT to maintain proper type diversity, since most series are going to either hover around or exclude a few types coughcoughtouhoumoncoughcoughicetypeyumemicoughcough. In order to make a decent mod of this type, you need to do the same thing Crossover Chaos v2 did - cover an entire medium rather than a single series, with people free to submit whatever character they can think of. Even if you cover a whole medium, you need to have open slates to get a decent mod - Best case, you a huge mess like CrossChaos v1's first half, and worst case, you get the No Activity of Pokécomics.

It could be interesting, but it does seem similar to Crossover Chaos and we just got a new film/TV-related tie-in mod, Tennysonmons.
Tennysonmons is going to crash and burn around as hard as Pokécomics did so honestly who cares

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
In all honestly I feel like Pet Mods that revolve around a different series shouldn't really be considered; you might be familiar with the series, but chances are there will be a good chuck of the community just not interested in the series and thus the Pet Mod itself. If you want to submit a Pet Mod like that, I'd suggest you look into the future to see how it'll turn out or even ask around if people are familiar with it, especially if your Pet Mod is structured on creating Pokemon based off the characters of the series.

Trust me, I've learned the hard way.

In all honestly I feel like Pet Mods that revolve around a different series shouldn't really be considered; you might be familiar with the series, but chances are there will be a good chuck of the community just not interested in the series and thus the Pet Mod itself. If you want to submit a Pet Mod like that, I'd suggest you look into the future to see how it'll turn out or even ask around if people are familiar with it, especially if your Pet Mod is structured on creating Pokemon based off the characters of the series.

Trust me, I've learned the hard way.
Ok, so I’ve been thinking, would one where we give an ability and they make a pokemon off it be good? Would people do that?

Probably same problem with the Star Wars suggestion; its refined with only one series and not everyone here is familiar with the entire Ben 10 franchise.
That said, there are plenty of media other than video games for a Crossover Chaos style mod to potentially be based on, such as books, movies, or mythology.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
That said, there are plenty of media other than video games for a Crossover Chaos style mod to potentially be based on, such as books, movies, or mythology.
Yeah, this can work. Mythology and movies might especially work (separately) considering the variation within them.

Yeah, this can work. Mythology and movies might especially work (separately) considering the variation within them.
Mythology is personally something I haven’t considered, though thinking about how many different Greek monsters / Egyptian there are, I think that would be cool. Do you mind if I post that in submissions? They don’t call me myth master for nothing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)