PETA Sez: Save the sea kittens!

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/world/ny-peta-seakittens,0,1126182.story

Link said:
PETA, the group behind the "I'd Rather Go Naked Than Wear Fur" campaign, has a new target -- fish eaters. In attempt to pressure consumers with guilt, the group wants fish to be rebranded as "sea kittens."

According to "Sea Kitten Facts" on its web site, fish feel pain and affection, they enjoy being petted and they communicate with one another. "Who could possibly want to put a hook through a sea kitten?"

The rebranding strategy is similar to that used by the organization when it referred to McDonald's as "McCruelty" and Burger King as "Murder King."

The sea kitten campaign Web site, which targets children with cartoon-like illustrations and under-the-sea sound effects, includes a petition to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to "stop promoting the hunting of sea kittens" (4,263 signatures as of this writing), bedtime stories (What keeps sea kittens up at night?) and the sale of sea kitten merchandise. Kids can even design their own sea kitten, name it, attire it with a princess dress and tiara and e-mail it to friends.

"People don't seem to like fish," a notice on the site reads. "They're slithery and slimy... Of course, if you look at it another way, what all this really means is that fish need to fire their PR guy... When your name can also be used as a verb that means driving a hook through your head, it's time for a serious image makeover."

Is the group playing dirty by targeting the emotions of impressionable youngsters?

PETA is well-known for its no-holds-barred activism, including the infamous red-paint attacks on people wearing fur coats and its 2003 "Holocaust on Your Plate" campaign, in which the group compared factory farming to the Nazi genocide. Some campaigns have failed but others, like "McCruelty" and "Murder King" have raised awareness and even brought change, the group says, taking credit for new animal welfare practices at the two fast food companies.

The sea-kitten site includes a link to Fishinghurts.com, another PETA endeavor, which addresses worldwide environmental concerns about over-fishing, and several sea kitten "facts" such as "some sea kittens tend well-kept gardens" and "A University of Edinburgh study found that sea kittens can retain information that they learned up to 11 months earlier, which makes them cuter and smarter than the president of the United States!"

Check the Sea Kitten Web site for yourself and let us know what you think.
Quite frankly, I think that PETA have lost the fucking plot. How else would we explain dogfish, for example? Would they be Sea Puppies?

Regardless, I've found the best name for my next Gyarados.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
....you know, they still never lobbied gainst the caviar trade.

If they really knew what they were talking about.

Originally Posted by Fat Outlaw Gryphon:
Lets start eating some Land Fish.

Land sharks, friend. Land sharks.

Unfortunately for PETA, many "sea kittens" live in freshwater. And they shouldn't be petted as it damages their slime coat and makes them more likely to get sick.

What about the sea kittens that eat sea kittens?

Seriously though, we as humans may have developed consciousness but we're still animals who need flesh and plant material to live just like any omnovore. If you choose not to eat meat for any reason good for you but to guilt people into it is deplorable.

I play Dwarf Fortress. Calling them sea kittens just makes me want to kill their children and turn them into leather armour, soap, and +sea kitten bone bolts+

Kittens have fur and are baby animals..

Fish do not have fur and are inedible at "baby" size for the most part..

Conclusion: PETA are stupid.

Pidge

('◇')
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
They use these absurd campaigns to gain attention. Half of the times they aren't even serious.

Ok, this takes the cake, PETA is fucking retarded. People have been eating fish for as long as we have been on the earth! Yes "overfishing" is bad but as long as it is controlled a little better we won’t have a problem. I’m sorry, people need to eat meat. Science shows, doctors show and nature shows that humans need to eat meat. If you feel it is wrong, that is your decision, if you want to go against your body and the basic laws of nature fine, but these fucking PETA should not be forcing their beliefs onto the rest of the world. Sea Kittens? WTF? They have nothing to do with cats. Fucking PETA retards. What’s next, we aren’t allowed to eat fruits unless it has fallen off the tree? (yes some people do actually follow this practice)

Fish do not like to be petted, in general. Yes a few do enjoy it but only after they get use to you and only when they are your pet, not wild fish, but this is only seen in Cichlids. And yes as Garchomp of the funk said, never pet a fish because the oils on your hands do mess up their slime coats a lot, epically on the smaller fish (the Cichlids wont mind it as much, so just dont do it often). Petting fish is never a good idea and PETA should not be encouraging children to stick their hands into their fish tanks and pet their fish.

“Mommy I took goldy out to pet him and now he is all dry and wont swim anymore.” Or "I gave Goldy an hug and he threw up on me." Good idea PETA, very good idea.

Fish do not communicate for anything other then territory or mating, even that is only a flashy show of strength and or colors, no squeaking involved. These PETA are just stupid fucktards that think they can manipulate people into their beliefs and think they can force animals to become vegetarians as well, like cats and dogs and snakes for example.

PETA thinks it is better to euthanize a baby Polar Bear then to have humans raise it and give it a chance at life after the mother was killed (not a human related death). PETA are a bunch of backwards hypocritical morons that talk out of their ass and rarely ever do any research on what they are talking about.

Yes I am for (some) Animal rights, I definitely want to conserve endangered animals and protect threaded species. I won’t ever sell goldfish to customers that come in and want to put then in bowls or anything smaller then a 5 gallon tank. I won’t sell other animals to someone that I know is not going to treat the animal well or will not give it the proper home. If PETA really cared they would get rid of goldfish bowls first but of course they are too stupid and think fish bowls are just fine for the goldfish and don’t care. If PETA really cared they would fight to ban Goldfish bowls since goldfish die in a slow and painful way in the bowls. But back on topic, please do not start thinking that I don’t care about animals because I do, more then PETA does. I’m not going to force a dog to not eat meat when their bodies are made to eat meat. I’m not going to force a snake to eat veggies when they cannot possibly eat veggies. If anything, I am for an increase in farm raised fish since I would rather eat something that was raised to be food then something that was caught but not all fish can be farm raised so some must be caught, but for the rest, we can increase fish farming and catch fewer wild ones, but trying to force people to follow PETA’s beliefs is wrong.

Their site also claims these various “facts” that fish sing, like to be petted, rub against each other as a sign of affection, make noise to communicate and also a “Proven Fact” that they are smarter then the President. Now I will give it that Bush might not be the brightest president we have had, but he is certainly smarter then a fish and that is a scientific fact, no Human is dumber then a fish, as much as you might think so or want to think Bush is dumber, you know he isn’t. Now for the other facts, fish do not sing to each other, don’t rub against each other in affection and do not communicate. And they certainly are not “cousins” CATS!!!!!!!!!! Can we please not raise our children to be complete idiots and only teach them real facts.

Why can I give my FISH A WATER BOWL???????

Ok, this takes the cake, PETA is fucking retarded. People have been eating fish for as long as we have been on the earth! Yes "overfishing" is bad but as long as it is controlled a little better we won’t have a problem. I’m sorry, people need to eat meat. Science shows, doctors show and nature shows that humans need to eat meat.
Science also shows that there is no god.

Do you REALLY want to follow that path?

Both the American Dietetic Association and the Dietitians of Canada have found a properly-planned vegetarian diet to satisfy the nutritional needs for all stages of life (admittedly this is stolen from Wikipedia, but you can check the citations there if you like), now I'm not the kind of person who wants to force lifestyles on people and I don't like PETA either, but it's no reason to go around throwing generalizations and incorrect statements.

Look, I didn’t bring religion into this, would you kindly not. There is scientific proof that the human body needs animal protein to work properly. Doctors agree, scientists agree and other omnivores out there agree. We really don’t need to start this. And also, science cannot prove or disprove God. Science does not prove that there is no God, science cannot touch that subject so would you kindly not start an argument about this.

Seriously, why does everyone have to turn everything I say into a religious argument, I didn’t mention religion at all. I could have stated how Veganism and Vegetarianism are religions, but I didn’t, so please try to stay on topic.

A Vegan diet does not satisfy the bodily needs completely. Got back to biology class. Plant proteins and animal proteins are not the same thing. I have known several people that were vegetarians and their doctors told them to start eating meat because they were becoming anemic. That is a sign that their vegetarian diets are deficient in iron as well as a few other things. Also, humans taurine and taurine can only come from animal products, it is not found in plants. Unless you want to use synthetic crap, you have to eat animal matter to get taurine which proves that the body naturally needs animal matter. You also cannot get all the Amino acids that your body requires from only eating plant material, there are at least 3 that you cannot get from plants. So yes, science shows that the human body needs animal matter to work properly. The same does apply for eating a meat only diet for humans. We are omnivorous, meaning we need both, not either or, for our bodies to work properly.

Also, yes some doctors are always going to have a different opinion simply because they often have reasons to be bias and don’t always agree. Just because one doctor disagrees with the rest doesn’t mean he is correct and vice versa. Look at science, that is the answer. Humans have always been omnivorous and we always will be until we are forced to change. But sure the vegans can go ahead and argue with science even though many doctors say it s bad for their health.

I have been studying nutrition for humans and dogs for the last six months.

I'd have a lot more time for PETA if they didn't insist on pushing the animal rights agenda by producing violent, sexualised images.. of women

because, you know, raping and killing a woman is definitely on par with wearing leather shoes

Since fish are now called sea kittens, cats are now land fish. Which means that sharks will be sea lions. Which is a problem because there already are sea lions.

As well as catfish now being called landfishseakittens, which is just sad.

And dogfish are called landsharksseakittens.

So what does this make octopi?

Sea Puppies.

Grow up PETA. Thanks to you, my land fish has had to resort to eating landchickens.

I have known several people that were vegetarians and their doctors told them to start eating meat because they were becoming anemic.
That's because they didn't do it right.

Also I'd just like to point out that you're using vegetarian and vegan interchangeably, please stop showing your ignorance by doing so.

If you knew anything about this whatsoever you'd know that there are 8 essential amino acids (others can be created by the body) for humans, the US Food and Drug Administration considers Soy to provide these as well as some other plants including Buckwheat, and Hemp seed.

Your 6 months of nutritional study doesn't impress me, I'm pretty sure the US Food and Drug Administration knows a little more about nutrition than you do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)