Project Player of the Week

Our voting period comes to a close! Without further ado, our next CAP player of the week will be Atha. Congrats to them! As such, questions directed at SHSP should cease.

We're going to give Atha some time to answer the questionaire I have prepared for them. Until then, think of your best questions and such for Atha.

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
I know you posted in the personal VR Rankings, but could you go into more detail on why you think Kyurem might deserve a suspect?

In a similar vein why do you think that Garchomp is an overrated sweeper?

What was the thought process in your g2 match by bringing Iron Defense + Body Press Skarmory?

Most "under the radar player" right now?

Who do you expect to go for big during CAPPL7?

Favorite movie of all time?

:Pajantom:
Interview: #6: Atha

Username (and how you pronouce it):
Atha. In french it's supposed to be pronounced "ata" but I don't mind "atha".

Tell us a little bit about yourself, outside of pokemon showdown:
I'm a 20 years old guy, I've done 2 years of literary studies and now I study philosophy in Paris, which I love and will probably do all my life. I like literature, cinema, music, chess. I used to play tennis and swim before covid. I'm christian also.

Where’d you get your username from?
Atha is a part of my name, many of my friends call me atha.

Favourite CAP:
Pajantom both design and competitive-wise.

Favourite CAP OM:
I've never played any cap om but aaa looks fun.

Underrated mons in the current CAP meta?
Toxapex is still Toxapex, which people tend to forget somehow. Plasmanta, Cyclohm, Nidoking, Tapu Lele come to mind. Corviknight might be the best bird.

Favorite Chromera set?
I've not tried Chromera as much as I would like + I want to keep some ideas for playtest but one thing I can tell is Taunt + Sludge Bomb works fine.

How'd you got started in CAP/What drew you in?
I don't remember exactly, I think I just found the CAP mons in the builder and they all seemed interesting so I gave it a try. Most tiers I've played was just because I was bored of OU and tried something else.

What’s your favourite playstyle to use in CAP and why?
Probably Balance but I like BO too. It's the most interesting one imo because it's all about finding a gameplan and then making it work. I don't like relying on matchup (crazy techs, weather) nor waiting for the opponent to die (stall) ; I like the solidness and versatility that Balance/BO offer.

Whats your favourite part of the process?
I've been involved in only one process, which was Astrolotl, and I liked concept a lot. It's the part that makes this project interesting at its core : manipulating archetypes of mons and see how it works. It has to do with alchemy.

Thoughts on the current CAP metagame?
It's fun and offers a lot of room for trying unusual stuff. I think it's also extremely unexplored, and the VR could be way different from what it is now after any tournament even with no ban or addition.

What are your favorite memories from older team tours? What about more recent ones?
Well I've came to CAP only recently, and only played 2 team tours yet. My favorite memory from CAPPL6 was probably Voltage trying to speak french, I rarely laughed so much. From Cyclohm Cup it was just winning with d2 and zeph.

With PSPL IX, CAPPL VII, Summer Seasonal, and CAP 30 all coming up, what's got you excited about mons right now? What are you most eager to participate in?
I will obviously try and participate in every one of these. CAPPL is the one I'm most looking forward to, as the previous one was so much fun. Less related to CAP, OMPL should also be exciting.

How has being staff in the room differed from being forum staff?
I've not been forum staff. I've also been room staff for a short amount of time.

What is a pet peeve you have in the CAP Meta or room?
Dj Breloominati♬

Share a particular team you are proud of?
I don't keep my old teams (I also lose them from time to time) so I can only share something recent. https://pokepast.es/31a7bf5dc2eba497 I like this Band Scizor + Krilowatt team although it's a bit weak to Pult and Electric type attacks.

Can you give some advice for new CAPers starting off in the metagame?
No. Jk, share your teams on the discord or in the metagame thread, where you should get some precious advices (more than on the Showdown room)

I know you posted in the personal VR Rankings, but could you go into more detail on why you think Kyurem might deserve a suspect?
Sub Kyurem is extremely polarizing, either you lose to it after a long and painful struggle with no possible counterplay, either you have one of the few answers and it does nothing basically. The reliable answers, as far as I'm aware, are Scizor, Scale Shot offensive Garchomp + sth that can make it come safely (corv, tp clef, blissey), 2 attacks Corviknight kind of, and that's pretty much all. You can also avoid losing to it by applying enough offensive pressure, which is not what I call reliable counterplay. Band Melmetal and Specs Dragapult get their stab ppstalled very quickly so counting on them is out of question. Switching back and forth usually doesn't work and requires multiple 50/50 wins + not getting frozen.
In a similar vein why do you think that Garchomp is an overrated sweeper?
Garchomp struggles to actually sweep teams in a meta where Tomohawk, Clefable, Equilibra, Jumbao, etc. exist at the same time. Don't get me wrong, it's a very good rocker and still a fine wincond with proper team support ; but I wouldn't put it in S since I don't find it as centralizing as Slowking and Equilibra.
What was the thought process in your g2 match by bringing Iron Defense + Body Press Skarmory?
Well it's a good anti-cheese set, which I was focusing on since I didn't know euoia. It's also a nice Garchomp switchin, speaking of the devil.
Most "under the radar player" right now?
I think Zeph might become very strong very quickly, keep an eye on him.
Who do you expect to go for big during CAPPL7?
stresh Good question, I'd say D2 is gonna be very expensive. If empo joins he should be expensive too.
Favorite movie of all time?
Very tempting to put a long list here but I'll play along and say The Tree of Life by Terrence Malick.
Hello atha
Hi !
What is your favorite CAP gen?
SM was pretty good I have to say but still SS.
Who is your favorite phylosopher?
Hegel or Aristotle, depends
How can I improve as a player? In my opinion you are one of the best players
Thank you ! I'd love to say something original here but I can't find anything, other than play the game, and talk about it with people. Don't hesitate to message me when I'm on, I always love talking metagame.
Favorite spanish word
Vale is smooth af I have to say

Favorite book/novel?

Why did you commit the crime of replacing Koko with Kril on the rain team that I built during seasonal?

Your takes on the metas (i've seen) you play usually differ from the consensus at the time (for example, Kommo usage during AAA seasonal; your recent Cap teams and your take on the VR), but your builds end up being just as successful. Do you have any insight into the reason for this?

Whats the best Pult set rn?

Favorite book/novel?
Hard to tell. There are two novels that take a special place in my heart, The Old man and the sea by Hemingway (a short novel that I recommend to everyone really, even if you're not a great reader, it should bring you to tears) and The Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas (famous French writer). Philosophy-wise it has to be Hegel's Phenomenology of spirit but I don't recommend it to anyone.
Why did you commit the crime of replacing Koko with Kril on the rain team that I built during seasonal?
:equilibra: welcome to cap
Your takes on the metas (i've seen) you play usually differ from the consensus at the time (for example, Kommo usage during AAA seasonal; your recent Cap teams and your take on the VR), but your builds end up being just as successful. Do you have any insight into the reason for this?
Very good question. I think less played metagames like AAA and CAP are by nature largely defined by one group of people that play and talk together. In AAA it was think/stresh n company ; in CAP it's like Rabia quziel D2 etc. (this is very schematic because people also have different opinions and the group is never homogeneous but still). In both metagames I am quite independent from these leading groups, which is probably the reason I tend to have controvertial takes.
Whats the best Pult set rn?
Choice Specs. Beware mixed Leftovers though, which comes close second I think. Choice Band can also be a threat. Choice Scarf is a thing too.

Lasen

smiling through it all
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Hello atha, gratz on the interview :) Questions now:

Have you ever dabbled in ethics? If so, what are your readings?
What's your teambuilding theory? Do you start off with a core you like, try to stick to a playstyle or roll with the punches?
What do you like most about SM CAP?
Would you rather be smart and beautiful or dumb and ugly?

spoo

is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
bonjour Atha

i visited paris once when i was very young and loved the city. what are your favorite parts about living there?

top five ss players right now + predicts for this playtest ?

ever had a supernatural encounter? i feel like youve definitely run into some weird french ghost before

favorite songs/albums OAT?

any really weird or unusual talents? like touching your elbow with your tongue or something

what's the biggest animal you could beat in a fight?

lastly how many baguettes do you think you have eaten in your whole life ? merci

Wulfanator

Clefable's wish came true!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
Salut Atha.

As the ultimate authority on all things French, I must know:

What do you consider the funniest French stereotype?

Which French stereotype makes your blood boil the most?

Deviating from your expertise, tell me:

If you could delete any Pokémon from the main games, which Pokemon would it be and why?

Music reactivates areas of the brain associated with memory. What is a song that elicits a memory to you and what memory does it elicit?

There are two things certain about life: we all die and everybody loves cheese. What is your favorite type of cheese?

Hello atha, gratz on the interview :)
Hi !
Have you ever dabbled in ethics? If so, what are your readings?
Ethics is the form of philosophy I'm least interested in, so not that much. Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics is the most memorable thing I've read on the matter. Even if their approach is interesting I think there's something wrong with Kant's approach. I also tend to dislike the utilitarian one. Stoicism is interesting though ; people tend to forget that it has to do with some form of deity at its core.
What's your teambuilding theory? Do you start off with a core you like, try to stick to a playstyle or roll with the punches?
I usually start with one pokemon (a breaker or a sweeper) and try to support it to the best of my ability. If there's one sentence that defines my teambuilding theory it's "I'd rather have 3 breakers walled by the same mon than each one walled by something different". Because in the first case you overwhelm said wall and win the game, in the second one you don't overwhelm shit and lose. I feel that's something a lot of people need to understand.
What do you like most about SM CAP?
Sheer diversity
Would you rather be smart and beautiful or dumb and ugly?
Tbh being dumb and ugly doesn't prevent you from being happy, quite the contrary maybe. Still smart and beautiful lol.
bonjour Atha
Bien le bonjour étranger
i visited paris once when i was very young and loved the city. what are your favorite parts about living there?
Man I love Paris so much. My favorite part about living here is probably just the city being beautiful. The buildings, the squares, the bars, the gardens, everything is gorgeous. I also love walking down the streets during the night, very poetic experience. If I had to recommend a garden it would be the Luxembourg for sure.
top five ss players right now + predicts for this playtest ?
Not gonna rank myself
1 rabz
2 d2zw
3 quz
4 shizp
5 rsqz

Finals of playtest will be TNM vs me.
ever had a supernatural encounter? i feel like youve definitely run into some weird french ghost before
The spirit of Napoleon always looks over me to make sure I lead France to victory in some way.
favorite songs/albums OAT?
I'm a huge fan of the Beatles, I love Russian and French military songs, my favorite album is probably Rilès' Welcome to the jungle. Sinatra, Bowie, Daft Punk, Muse I love too.
any really weird or unusual talents? like touching your elbow with your tongue or something
I can move my right-hand index finger in a very weird way, which I can't show here sadly.
what's the biggest animal you could beat in a fight?
Blue Whale if I decide the battleground.
lastly how many baguettes do you think you have eaten in your whole life ? merci
Somewhere between 1000 and 10000 I'd say.
Salut Atha.
Salutations
What do you consider the funniest French stereotype?
Probably baguettes, because it's true as hell. I also find the ron ron thing funny because I don't understand it.
If you could delete any Pokémon from the main games, which Pokemon would it be and why?
Weavile. Ask Dragonillis
Music reactivates areas of the brain associated with memory. What is a song that elicits a memory to you and what memory does it elicit?
Good one. The musics that bring most souvenirs to me are probably those from the RBY pokemon series. Brings me back to when I was young and training my mons. Huge nostalgia burst every time.
There are two things certain about life: we all die and everybody loves cheese. What is your favorite type of cheese?
Haem I hate cheese. Embarrassing I know.
does anyone other than stresh go for over 30k this cappl
Nope 30k is a stresh privilege. You go for 25 max.
will you win playtest
Most likely
which weather archetype is the best/your favorite to use
I'm pretty high on rain in general. I love building rain ; playing it is a different story.
when will you stop using blissey
I don't use Blissey that much in general, but in Dragapult + Chromera meta what do you fucking expect. I'll probably stop in gen9.
yeah, when WILL you stop using Blissey? :psyangry:
:fukyu:

Zephyri

put on your headphones and burn my city
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator
HI ATHA

What's your hottest meta take as of now?
Is there anything rn that you think is broken, or very close to broken?
Are you planning to manage for any team tours in the near future?
Why is Dj Breloominati♬ so absolutely awful at mons like oml who brings articuno to an actual game like wtf why is he such a noob
What field of philosophy interests you the most, and why?
What's your favorite french food?
What are your opinions on Dhelmise? Its the best mon in the meta isnt it. Like, no way theres a better mon ever

BYE ATHA

hi zeph
What's your hottest meta take as of now?
Apart from the things I already said, Cawmodore is absolute bullshit and should be taken care of in some way, quickly. Even at a good level of play it restricts building a lot.
Is there anything rn that you think is broken, or very close to broken?
Kyurem as I said. I don't think Dragapult should be banned for now.
Are you planning to manage for any team tours in the near future?
No
Why is Dj Breloominati♬ so absolutely awful at mons like oml who brings articuno to an actual game like wtf why is he such a noob
To be fair I have no logical explanation to those straight facts
What field of philosophy interests you the most, and why?
Philosophy of knowledge, because it's the field that drives the whole history of thought. Our modern world owes a lot more to Descarte's Meditations than you would think.
What's your favorite french food?
Buttered ham with a freshly baked baguette
What are your opinions on Dhelmise? Its the best mon in the meta isnt it. Like, no way theres a better mon ever
Dhelmise sucks ass.
bye zeph
what do you like about this game?
Teambuilding

Hey guys, lets continue our CAP PotW!

You may still ask Atha questions, but once our next player is picked, questions directed at him must stop!

Pick your top 3 choices for any CAP player and put your votes below! The nomination/voting period begins! This period will be open for 48 hours!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)