Playing Pokemon after 20

I'm 19 and i've been playing for years now, and i don't intend in stopping.

But i'm also a Pokemon closet player. I like to keep it on DL. Not sure how bad my reputation would get if certain people found out i still play.

zfs

Everything old is new again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm 19 and i've been playing for years now, and i don't intend in stopping.

But i'm also a Pokemon closet player. I like to keep it on DL. Not sure how bad my reputation would get if certain people found out i still play.
Come out of the Pokecloset, man! You'll feel better...

My Friend (20) and I (21) have thought about it and we decided that we'd play pokemon even if we were 35 and had 3 kids. We're both kinda childish that way.

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
I'm 22 now and when I did well in the VGC I was in the paper several times in the past 3 years for VGC. My Facebook has pictures of me winning my trophies and posing with Pikachu. Most of my friends give me a hard time but it is usually good natured ribbing and most think it is cool, hell even people I haven't talked to since high school saw me and sent me texts or messages congratulating me. If someone is going to stop being your friend because you play Pokemon, they weren't your friend to begin with.

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I've never hidden the fact that I played Pokemon. I'm currently 21 and have been playing competitively since I was 11. By the time high school rolled around, most people had stopped playing, but they still thought it was cool that I was competitive about it. When I started doing well in VGC's, I started getting emails from teachers and high school friends congratulating me on doing so well. Everyone's been really supportive of it and always ask me how I'm going to do in the future =P

25 here and still playing. Learning how to rng abuse in Emerald on the computer. ;D And no intention of quitting any time soon.

Not caring about what others say, helps a great deal btw. :P

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The thing about playing pokemon in your 20s, is that people actually become more accepting with age. It's called "growing up," and maturity only matures as people get older.

A lot of those "dick jocks" (though I was also a jock . . .) who would sneer at you in high school are just like "Whatever dude, lets get some beers" in college. If you have social cool and it's obvious you're cool with yourself about it, people won't care or even find it cool/funny.

"Being into pokemon" only gets socially easier in your 20s . . . now 30s, that is a bridge I will have to cross when I get there.

. . . if you had kids though, then again, most people would just think it's cool you play pokemon with your kids. Just don't go into the details of teaching your kid to IV breed . . . I have a cousin to whom I have given all my old breeds/catches. Apparently, he is undefeated in all of his 4th grade class . . .

Oh cool. I should try my hand at joining then. Though I don't really like the whole triples match idea. I've always played singles and will continue to do so.

I'm 22 and an out of the closet Pokémon player. But I'm married. So the only member of the opposite sex I care about is contractually obligated to like me despite the fact that I play Pokémon.

YMMV

^ I feel for you man. lol. Most girls who would actually accept pokemon players are girls who go to comic book and gaming conventions. Not counting the endorsement models. Only a wife would accept that. :P

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm 22 and an out of the closet Pokémon player. But I'm married. So the only member of the opposite sex I care about is contractually obligated to like me despite the fact that I play Pokémon.

YMMV
I'm more shocked by the fact that you're 2 years younger than me and married than the fact that you play pokemon.

I'm a few months off 20 but I feel the need to comment. After 20 (or just high school really) playing a lot less of a big deal than if, say, you're 15 and entering high school where people are malicious.

Most girls who would actually accept pokemon players are girls who go to comic book and gaming conventions.
This is so ridiculously false. Everytime I meet a new girl and she asks me about my hobbies, I always bring up pokemon. This usually results in a funny look yes, but the fact never ruins any chance with them. I simply say I do some battling in my free time and move on with the conversation (I never open or close the topic with pokemon). You're not required to bring it up of course, but point is pokemon in and of itself is never (emphasis never) an instant bye with women; if you've got selling points they won't care. (btw there's nothing wrong with a good gamer girl)

As zerowing said friends might rag on you but it's all in good spirit (girlfriends do to :P). And then as Chou said, acquaintances really won't care. Assholes that do try to give you beef over it will find a reason to bother you regardless.

I really do not understand the big conniption with letting others know you play pokemon. Maybe it helps that I don't spend hours breeding pokemon and trying to work an RNG to run a virtual store, but honestly as long as you're not obsessed and/or going to great lengths to defend yourself over it, nobody will care. Obviously don't bring it up at every opportunity or go out of your way to inform everybody, but don't go to lengths to cover it up. The world won't end if somebody finds a Platinum version in your bag. If they ask you if you play pokemon, say "Yeah, so?" Guarantee it never comes up again (not because it's awkward either, but, again, they don't care). You're not judged for every little thing you do.

EDIT: Let me put it this way: significantly more women are going to be turned off by you playing Halo or Call of Duty than Pokemon.

This is so ridiculously false. Everytime I meet a new girl and she asks me about my hobbies, I always bring up pokemon. This usually results in a funny look yes, but the fact never ruins any chance with them. I simply say I do some battling in my free time and move on with the conversation (I never open or close the topic with pokemon). You're not required to bring it up of course, but point is pokemon in and of itself is never (emphasis never) an instant bye with women; if you've got selling points they won't care. (btw there's nothing wrong with a good gamer girl)
Couldn't of said it better myself.

Even though i considered myself a closet player. I'm more like half of a closet player, because my gamer friends know that i play Pokemon. But my ghetto-ish friends don't really know that i play Pokemon. I'm not scared on how they will react about it. Because if they were to bug me, about the whole fact that "BAWW YOU PLAY POKEMON STILL LOL" I would pretty much just called them out to fight me (All Jokes aside). I would really fight whoever start talking a load of shit about me, just because i play Pokemon.

My reputation may lower a bit!. But im definitely not gonna let people walk over me.

norulz

excellent
i dunno whats more immature, navy, making fun of someone for playing pokemon or calling them out for a fight over it

i dont really play anymore but i still consider myself a fan of the games, i have no problem telling people this and those who react negatively to it are probably just ignorant, pokemon was a big part of my childhood and i'm not suddenly going to feel ashamed about it

sometimes when we're bored me and my friends play a game where we name a type and we have to name as many pokemon of that type within the shortest time

i dunno whats more immature, navy, making fun of someone for playing pokemon or calling them out for a fight over it

i dont really play anymore but i still consider myself a fan of the games, i have no problem telling people this and those who react negatively to it are probably just ignorant, pokemon was a big part of my childhood and i'm not suddenly going to feel ashamed about it

sometimes when we're bored me and my friends play a game where we name a type and we have to name as many pokemon of that type within the shortest time
If that's immature then let it be. Because i'm not gonna sit by and let someone talk shit about me, just because "i still play Pokemon". If they say it 1 time "Baw you still play Pokemon" Then it's cool, i'll laugh with them it's w/e. NOW!, if they are constantly joking about it, trying to make me feel like shit, believe me. I'm gonna stand up and confront them about it. Pokemon isn't something you should grow out of, You don't have to. Things like "Playing with Toys" Now that's something you should definitely grow out of. (Not talking about people who collect action figures) Judge on something else, cause you sure ain't judging me.

I don't even know how those people would react if they ever found out i play Pokemon, But it better be a positive way.

I'm more shocked by the fact that you're 2 years younger than me and married than the fact that you play pokemon.
Yeah, at 19 my high school sweetheart still hadn't realized she was WAY out of my league so we got married the day before my 20th birthday. Now she's stuck with me. Our parents thought she was pregnant when we told them. :rolleyes:

i'm 25, and have been doing something poke-related almost every day since i received Diamond as a present three years ago. well, been taking a bit of a break lately, for completely unrelated reasons, but i intend to jump back in full throttle once BW is released here in the states.

also, i'm very vocal about my love of playing pokemon. i think a lot of the reason people get made fun of for playing is because they're embarrassed. if you aren't confident, people aren't going to respect it. ;)

EDIT: oh, and my wife keeps asking me when my mad poke skills are going to start making us money. xP

This is so ridiculously false. Everytime I meet a new girl and she asks me about my hobbies, I always bring up pokemon. This usually results in a funny look yes, but the fact never ruins any chance with them.
You completely missed my point. The funny look already says she doesn't really approve of it. And I didn't say that it would be an instant bye. I'm just stating that it's a bit of a turn-off to non-gamer girls. Your statement already says that it's a bit off a turn-off. But yeah. I do agree that most of the time they wave it off if you just continue on with the conversation.

I'm 22 and have been playing for close to 10 years.
Just yesterday I was playing the pokemon tcg with my friends when a family with 3 kids (all around 12 years old) walked over to us and started asking us if we were college students and why we were still playing the tcg. One of them said he stopped playing when he was 7 while another one told us we were failures lol. We proceeded to start making fun of the chubby kid while the father said nothing haha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)