Pokémon GO

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I see AR Mapping has recently been added, and can actually scan the same stop over and over again for the same reward the same day though it's different for each account. Is there a list somewhere of what rewards are possible? So far I've seen 7 great balls, 3 hyper potions, max revive, a pokemon encounter (deleted it), lure module to name some.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I wonder if they'll keep evolving Sirfetch'd in line with the main games and add a battling requirement to the evolution. Instead of critting three times, win three gym or league battles.
They'll also need to come up with a new way to evolve Galarian Yamask if they also want to keep it inline with the games.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
November event details are out.

Rundown:
  • Togetic is the Research Breakthrough encounter
  • Weekly five-star raid bosses:
    • October 23rd, 1pm PDT to November 5th, 1pm PST: Darkrai
    • November 5th, 1pm PST to November 16th, 1pm PST: a familiar Pokémon
    • November 16th, 1pm PST to November 24th, 1pm PST: Terrakion, Cobalion, and Virizion
    • November 24th, 1pm PST to November 30th, 1pm PST: TBA
    • Raid Hour every Wednesday at 6pm local time: TBA
  • Weekly Tuesday 6pm Spotlight Hours and bonuses
    • November 3rd: Cubone; double catch Stardust
    • November 10th: Jigglypuff; double catch XP
    • November 17th: Meowth; double catch Candy
    • November 24th: Barboach; double transfer Candy
  • Limited Research on November 28th with featured Pokémon TBA
  • Other QoL stuff I guess

Familiar faces return to raids, new feature updates, and more in November!

Trainers,

Familiar faces return to raids, new feature updates, and more—read on to learn about what’s happening in the world of Pokémon GO this November.

November Research Breakthrough encounter

From Sunday, November 1, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Tuesday, December 1, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PST (GMT −8), Togetic, the Happiness Pokémon, will be available as a Research Breakthrough encounter.

A month of different Raid Bosses in five-star raids!

Look forward to challenging different Raid Bosses in five-star raids throughout November!
  • From Friday, October 23, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7) to Thursday, November 5, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PST (GMT −8), Darkrai will be available to challenge in five-star raids.
  • From Thursday, November 5, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Monday, November 16, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PST (GMT −8), a familiar Pokémon will be returning to five-star raids.
  • From Monday, November 16, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Tuesday, November 24, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PST (GMT −8), Terrakion, Cobalion, and Virizion will be available to challenge in five-star raids.
  • Stay tuned for more details on the featured Raid Boss that’ll be in five-star raids from Tuesday, November 24, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. to Monday, November 30, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. PST (GMT −8)!
Each week in November, there’ll be a Raid Hour event on Wednesday at 6:00 p.m. local time featuring that week’s five-star Raid Boss.

Pokémon Spotlight Hours

In the month of November, Pokémon Spotlight Hour will take place every Tuesday at 6:00 p.m. local time, and each hour will spotlight a different Pokémon and special bonus!
  • Tuesday, November 3, 2020: Cubone will be in the spotlight, and you’ll earn twice the Stardust for catching Pokémon.
  • Tuesday, November 10, 2020: Jigglypuff will be in the spotlight, and you’ll earn twice the XP for catching Pokémon.
  • Tuesday, November 17, 2020: Meowth will be in the spotlight, and you’ll earn twice the Candy for catching Pokémon.
  • Tuesday, November 24, 2020: Barboach will be in the spotlight, and you’ll earn twice the Candy for transferring Pokémon.
More exciting events and feature updates

Look forward to a Limited Research event happening on November 28, 2020! The featured Pokémon will be announced at a later date.

Soon, you’ll be able to see more information about the Pokémon you’ve come to know and love! For example, if your Pokémon hatched from an Egg, you’ll see which type of Egg it hatched from. If you caught your Pokémon in an encounter after a raid, you’ll be able to see more details about that raid, such as whether it was an EX Raid or a Mega Raid, or whether you battled in the raid remotely or in person. You’ll also see whether you met your Pokémon in a special encounter, such as in an encounter after GO Battle League win, in a Research Breakthrough encounter, or in a surprise encounter after you take a snapshot. You’ll even be able to see whether you caught your Pokémon during one of our ticketed events, like Pokémon GO Fest! We hope this update lets you and your Pokémon take a stroll down memory lane together and reminisce on the happy memories of your meeting!

We’re also updating when Trainers will receive Special Research lines released in the past so that it is not overwhelming for new Trainers. For example, instead of receiving multiple Special Research lines after completing the A Mythical Discovery Special Research, Trainers will receive them later after they make more progress with the Special Research lines they have. This will not affect any Trainers who have already received all of the past Special Research lines.

There’s much to look forward to in November! Let us know what you’re looking forward to the most on social media by using #PokemonGO.

Please be aware of your surroundings and follow guidelines from local health authorities when playing Pokémon GO. Upcoming events are subject to change. Be sure to follow us on social media, opt in to receiving push notifications, and subscribe to our emails to stay updated. For the latest on in-game events and feature updates, be sure to check this help center article.

—The Pokémon GO team

Wigglytuff

mad @ redacted in redacted
is a Tiering Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
November 10th: Jigglypuff; double catch XP
can't wait, i have 3 3 star wigglytuffs and i can't wait to expand my army

as an aside, is there a pokemon go discord? i was shocked to find out that there is not a pokemon go club at my college so i am turning to smogon :3

There'll be two Community Days in November!

Electabuzz Community Day
  • Sunday, November 15th, 11am to 5pm local time
  • Shiny Electabuzz available
  • Featured move: Flamethrower when evolving Electabuzz into Electivire between 11am and 7pm
  • Snapshot surprise
  • Community Day Box (1,280 PokéCoins): Elite Fast TM, 3 Super Incubators, 3 Incense, 30 Ultra Balls
  • Exclusive Timed Research (rewards include Sinnoh Stones) and Field Research
  • "Electric for Electabuzz" Special Research story for equivalent of US$1
  • Elekid hatches from 2km Eggs
  • Bonus 1: 1/4 hatch distance for Eggs placed in Incubators during event
  • Bonus 2: 3-hour Incense

Magmar Community Day
  • Saturday, November 21st, 11am to 5pm local time
  • Shiny Magmar available
  • Featured move: Thunderbolt when evolving Magmar into Magmortar between 11am and 7pm
  • Snapshot surprise
  • Community Day Box (1,280 PokéCoins): Elite Charged TM, 3 Super Incubators, 3 Incense, 30 Ultra Balls
  • Exclusive Timed Research (rewards include Sinnoh Stones) and Field Research
  • "No Match for Magmar" Special Research story for equivalent of US$1
  • Magby hatches from 2km Eggs
  • Bonus 1: 1/4 hatch distance for Eggs placed in Incubators during event
  • Bonus 2: 3-hour Incense

Electabuzz and Magmar will be featured during November’s Community Day events!

Trainers,

For some of you around the world, November marks the beginning of the holiday season! It’s a great time to reflect on what we’re thankful for, such as our community. In celebration of the spirit of community, we’re excited to announce that there will be two separate Community Day events this November, one featuring Electabuzz, the Electric Pokémon, and one featuring Magmar, the Spitfire Pokémon!

Electabuzz Community Day

Date + Time

Sunday, November 15, 2020, from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. local time

Features
  • Electabuzz will be appearing more frequently in the wild. If you’re lucky, you may encounter a Shiny one!
  • Evolve Electabuzz during the event or up to two hours afterward to get an Electivire that knows Flamethrower.
  • Take a few snapshots during Community Day for a surprise!
  • There’ll be a special one-time-purchase Electabuzz Community Day Box available for 1,280 PokéCoins, featuring an Elite Fast TM, three Super Incubators, three Incense, and 30 Ultra Balls.
  • Event-exclusive Timed Research and Field Research tasks will be available! By completing Timed Research tasks, you’ll be able to earn Sinnoh Stones and other items.
  • For US$1 (or the equivalent pricing tier in your local currency), you’ll be able to access the Electabuzz Community Day–exclusive Special Research story, Electric for Electabuzz.
  • Elekid will be hatching from 2 km Eggs.

Stay tuned for when tickets for the Electric for Electabuzz Special Research story go live! Tickets are nonrefundable (subject to applicable law and the exceptions set forth in the Terms of Service). Please note that this Special Research will not include an in-game medal.

Bonuses
  • 1/4 Hatch Distance for Eggs placed in Incubators during the event.
  • Incense activated during the event will last for three hours.

Magmar Community Day

Date + Time

Saturday, November 21, 2020, from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. local time

Features
  • Magmar will be appearing more frequently in the wild. If you’re lucky, you may encounter a Shiny one!
  • Evolve Magmar during the event or up to two hours afterward to get a Magmortar that knows Thunderbolt.
  • Take a few snapshots during Community Day for a surprise!
  • There’ll be a special one-time-purchase Magmar Community Day Box available for 1,280 PokéCoins, featuring an Elite Charged TM, three Super Incubators, three Lucky Eggs, and 30 Ultra Balls.
  • Event-exclusive Timed Research and Field Research tasks will be available! By completing Timed Research tasks, you’ll be able to earn Sinnoh Stones and other items.
  • For US$1 (or the equivalent pricing tier in your local currency), you’ll be able to access the Magmar Community Day–exclusive Special Research story, No Match for Magmar.
  • Magby will be hatching from 2 km Eggs.
Stay tuned for when tickets for the No Match for Magmar Special Research story go live! Tickets are nonrefundable (subject to applicable law and the exceptions set forth in the Terms of Service). Please note that this Special Research will not include an in-game medal.

Bonuses
  • 1/4 Hatch Distance for Eggs placed in Incubators during the event.
  • Incense activated during the event will last for three hours.
Don’t be too shocked—it’s time to get fired up for this pair of Community Day events in November. Don’t forget to share your experiences during both Community Day events with us on social media with #PokemonGOCommunityDay. Let’s GO!

Please be aware of your surroundings and follow guidelines from local health authorities when playing Pokémon GO. Upcoming events are subject to change. Be sure to follow us on social media, opt in to receiving push notifications, and subscribe to our emails to stay updated. For the latest on in-game events and feature updates, be sure to check this help center article.

—The Pokémon GO team

Last edited:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Magmar and Electabuzz? I can get behind that ... I really can. OK, they are Gen I 'mons that have been around since launch day, but they've been rare since launch day, and that's what makes them interesting for a Community Day. Having a pair of bangin' evolutions certainly helps too. I could have appreciated either one for a November Community Day, but getting both is even better.

They are not game breaking addition too...
This one people can miss without getting too sunk like starters with ultimate moves.... Which means people can relax....
Also helps that their last forms are decently popular and yet sunk by their ability to catch up to meta picks, so this gives them good spotlight....

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Most of the current event's spawns are pretty crap (I mean, Bulbasaur, Exeggcute, and Dratini are... okay, I guess, and another shiny Wurmple would be great so I can get shiny Pokedex entries for Cascoon and Dustox). I also still don't have a shiny Scyther so I'm cool with more of those around.

There are only a handful of Gen 1 mons left that can't be shiny - Spearow and Paras are among them and it makes sense since they're both fairly weak Pokemon that don't get a lot of exposure. With that said... I'm stumped as to why Niantic didn't take the opportunity to make either of them available during this event, since they're both boosted spawns?

Niantic has seized the chance to release some less-than-stellar shiny Pokemon as part of bigger events (Kricketot, Skitty, Dunsparce, Glameow, Bellsprout, and Woobat all spring to mind) and they seemed to be trying to rush through all the remaining Gen I shinies lately so it's odd that they didn't bother with either Spearow or Paras. Instead, they're hyping up the chance to catch a shiny Cubone, which was just featured not just in the Halloween event but also in a recent spotlight hour.

GO to HOME transfer is live for level 40s, as is Gigantamax Melmetal

It costs energy to send mons to HOME, which replenishes over time. Different costs for legendaries, shinies, etc. Apparently a shiny legendary costs a whole week's worth of energy, which you can replenish immediately for the low low cost of 1000 coins (only 20 days of gym defending if you get your full 50 coins each day! :facepalm:)

Last edited:
Oh no, you have to be level 40?

That sounds really high....
Hypothetically, assuming you played the game at a reasonable pace from 0, how long would it be expected to reach?

It costs energy to send mons to HOME, with different costs for legendaries, shinies, etc. Apparently a shiny legendary costs a whole week's worth of energy, which you can replenish immediately for the low low cost of 1000 coins (only 20 days of gym defending if you get your full 50 coins each day!! :psygrump:)
This is. An absurdly petty method of monetisation. Holy shit. I hate this.

Oh no, you have to be level 40?

That sounds really high....
Hypothetically, assuming you played the game at a reasonable pace from 0, how long would it be expected to reach?
Pokémon GO typically does this; a new feature will be released to only Level 40s and then slowly rolled out to lower levels over the next few weeks. Given the stated requirement for transfer is, uh, "catch one Pokémon", I assume that'll be the case here.

Depends on how much you grind. If you’re pretty casual, I’ve seen people who up to now are still Level 37.
If you are active often, catch a lot and make full use of Lucky Eggs and Raids, then it can take a year or less.
The 1,000,000++ XP required to get from 39 to 40 may seem pretty daunting, but nowadays with so many good places for XP gain (i.e. Raids), it should only take around a month or two to get to 40.
Just a random bit of imo information

This is. An absurdly petty method of monetisation. Holy shit. I hate this.

Pokémon GO typically does this; a new feature will be released to only Level 40s and then slowly rolled out to lower levels over the next few weeks. Given the stated requirement for transfer is, uh, "catch one Pokémon", I assume that'll be the case here.
Depends on how much you grind. If you’re pretty casual, I’ve seen people who up to now are still Level 37.
If you are active often, catch a lot and make full use of Lucky Eggs and Raids, then it can take a year or less.
The 1,000,000++ XP required to get from 39 to 40 may seem pretty daunting, but nowadays with so many good places for XP gain (i.e. Raids), it should only take around a month or two to get to 40.
Mmm, I see, thanks. I think I'll wait to see if this starts falling to later levels.

It's 5 million to get to 40 from 39, and it took me a year to go from 38 to 39. So lol just wait until the Home thing is rolled out for lower level players.

Besides with the IV randomization the only thing that appears to matter is shinies and even the worst case scenario (shiny mythical) should gain enough energy naturally once per week.

Seems pretty easy. Just gotta wait a few days for it to apply to lower level players.

"When you transfer Pokémon into Pokémon HOME, the IVs are done in the same way to the Pokémon GO to Let's Go transfer. The Attack and Special Attack IVs are made up of the Attack IV multiplied by 2 and plus one. Defense and Special Defense are made up of the GO Defense IV multiplied by 2 and plus 1. HP is made up of the GO HP IV multiplied by 2 and plus 1. Speed is random"

Tldr PoGo perfect IV transfer as 31 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31 / X

Imo perfect Pokémon are much more rare in PoGo and are best kept there. However bad IV mons such as "X / X / 15" transfer as decent breedjects. Also shinies regardless of IVs are far less valuable in PoGo. Also getting mythics is easy in PoGo.

So tl;dr transfer:

Shinies.

1-2 perfect IVs as breedjects.

Mythicals.

Full details on how details of Pokémon transferred from GO are generated:-

- nature is random
- ability is randomised between the two standard ones (no HA)
- level and poke ball match what it was in GO
- OT and ID match GO
- HP, Attack/Special Attack, and Defence/Special Defence IVs are based on the corresponding GO IV multiplied by two and plus one. Speed IV is randomised.
- Moveset is just the normal moveset the Pokémon would have at that level, based on the most recent game they were in (SwSh, LGPE or USUM)

I started playing day one, and only reached level 39 a couple of weeks ago.

For the first two months of playing (Jul to Aug 2016), I was pretty hardcore, I'd say, got to level 32 within that period.

Then I moved to a more rural area, and with work 5 days a week, I pretty much only did the daily catch/task for 6 days of the week and played a little bit 1 day per week when I went out to the city. I'd still participated in every Community Day and completed every Special Research, but didn't really bother with the Raid Days or anything else. This went on for 3 years. (Aug 2016 to Jul 2019). I probably went from 32 to... 37 or 38 during this period.

Since then, I've moved back to the city, but still haven't really had the motivation to play all that much, outside of the daily catch/task and Special Researches. I don't even really do Community Day all that much anymore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 4)