Pokémon Let's Go! - Pikachu and Eevee

For example, there are no held items in Gen 1 or in Pokémon Go, but with Pokémon traditionally having to hold Mega Stones in order to Mega Evolve, it doesn’t surprise me if they will feature things we didn’t know they would, later on, closer to release.
It was shown in one of the trailers that Charizard can pick if evolving in X or Y on the fly, which further suggests that there's no items and you can just mega evo whatever poke capable of megaing.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
But with all that said, let's remember the games are over two months away and last major news was in July. Right now it's in a bit of a dull period. Wouldn't be surprised when more news appears as it's coming to release more pre-orders will come on (and also no pre-order doesn't mean the game won't sell millions, just means people aren't excited enough to ensure they get a copy).
This is still pretty indicative of the games' current reception. I don't think it will end up doing well.

Also I bet if they release a special colored Switch (with yellow and brown joy-cons) that comes with the game the preorders for at least those would flood in.
That sounds ugly as sin.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So I just watched a video with an interesting perspective on Let's Go (I'll just pot a link to the video in case anyone has a problem with this Youtuber; I know nothing about them except they made an interesting video I thought to share).

Basically, they're hoping that by having the Gen I pandering/casual game out of the way now that the official Gen VIII game can be made for the more dedicated Pokemon fans. Instead of having to focus on making the games easy to grasp or putting in fan favorites to increase sales, at least for this gen they're going to have the Let's Go series essentially by the lure for those players. They'll get their money (and the money of anyone else interested in the games) while they can make the Gen VIII games possibly more indepth and/or heavier story focus without worry they'll lose out on any money from those who may get lost (as they already have their money and the Gen VIII games will get the money from the rest of the dedicated fans). And Let's Go will serve as a sort of test ground and tech demo for what they can do with the Switch which can then go to making the official Gen VIII games better.

My opinion on this... isn't so sure about that. If that is what GF is doing it would certainly be a creative get around, though the problem with this is that at most it'll only work for two "gens". If this is meant to attract the casual players who only know Gen I and II then what about when they do those two gens and its time to do Gen III (if Let's Go goes on for that long)? Also another problem is assuming GF willing to ignore those players that Let's Go attracted. Why split the money when you can have one game hopefully make the next game make ALL of the money? No, GF plans are pretty clear, they want to use the Let's Go game to transition GO players over to the core series. And what this means is that they'll make it so that these new players won't get lost playing the core series, meaning they may keep the casual experience. And the Gen pandering? That's not completely for the fans, GF themselves act like genwunners at times.

But what do you think? You think this theory has merit or do you have your doubts?

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think it's questionable (on the part of the video maker, not you) to assume that Game Freak would care about getting "pandering" out of the way while it continues to make it money. Assuming Let's Go does well, it could well encourage them to make pandering a bigger part of the normal core games than it now is.

I, and many of the people reading this thread I'm sure, would prefer things like story, post-game, depth, but we aren't Gamefreak's make-or-break demographic.

LGPE steelbook announced for Japan. The possibly(?) relevant information here is that the cover artwork depicts Pikachu using Surf and Fly, and Eevee using several elemental moves. This may not represent anything actually in-game, but I hope it does.

Last edited:
Looks like someone playing the Viridian Forest demo got a video of what encountering a Shiny looks like:

Notably, the Shiny coloration is visible when wild on the overworld (at least in this demo version). After the wild Shiny spawns on the overworld, you can encounter another wild Pokemon, run, and still encounter the Shiny. (I'm guessing all wilds on the overworld have a set time before despawning or something.)

This from Bulbagarden Forums:
Thoughts?
View attachment 134792
So different champions for the games, no big deal.

Important trainers can be battled again, similar to the trial captains in Alola.

Does that mean other generations are also in the game? I don't recall any gen one whale Pokemon but I think shiny Wailmer is pink?

So Shiny Charm, standard stuff.

I wonder what you can unlock. Character customization so you can potentially dress up as gym leaders?

Ehhh not sure how I feel about this one. Sounds a lot like Z Moves to me.

New trailer dropping on the night of the 6th followed up by Masuda going on Pokenchi to talk about it on the 9th would be somewhat consistent with what they've been doing I suppose.

So nothing really of note that would make me really want this game, but none of them deal breakers either.

I wonder what they mean by play as important trainers? Do they mean you can physically play as them? Or are they just costumes?

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Keep in mind the golden rule: Never trust leaks, and preferably don't post them here either. True, every release cycle there seems to be some legitimate leaks that happen, but come the next cycle every faker on the Internet will have taken note on what the legitimate leaks looked like and will then try to style their own creations in the same way. Expect a lot of forgeries claiming to be screenshots from copyright registers, since that was the big thing in Gen VII. Please don't post "leaks" here, though, it makes it hard for readers to distinguish what is official information and what is codswallop from a 17-year-old with Photoshop experience.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
While I'll wait to the 9th's announcement to decide whether these leaks have any merits, it never hurts to play with the idea suggested:

Version Exclusive Champions: Sounds like a fun idea and I would be all for it. It'll not only place Red & Blue in the canon as NPCs (instead of simply being replaced) and a nice if obvious reference to Yellow Version. Though if this is the case, while Red will certainly have a Pikachu, would Blue have an Eevee or would he evolve it into one of the Eeveelutions? And if so, what would be the factors that decide what it'll evolve into? Though if they're the Champion, that'll surely mean this takes place after the story of the Gen I games, so what would this mean for Giovanni (not that they can't write around it... or ignore it... but I'd personally like some continuity)?

Beyond Evolution Episode: Not really an "episode" but what you would expect them to do for the post game or New Game+. Though that mention of Mega Evolutions for important faces. If they mean Gym Leaders and Elite Four, some Types are missing: Rock, Electric, Ground, Ice, and Fighting (I doubt they'd give Bruno a Mewtwo). On top of that only Sabrina and Agatha have their signature Pokemon with a Mega Evolution. Now a solution for this is just only having the rival and Champion having Megas and maybe some other random trainers, though that would be pretty boring. And sure, if they do make new Mega it'll be for Gen I Pokemon, at least it'll show they didn't forget about the idea and maybe the Gen VIII games will reveal Mega for other gen and the ones in Let's Go were a sneak peak.

Little Pink Whale: ... HSOWA? Aside being a new Pokemon I have no clue what this could possible mean. Notably it says received from GO, unlike the "new Pokemon" they've hinted at in the past which is a gift directly to the Let's Go games. Unless they are the same. Well if it is a new Pokemon, hoping it's not a "little whale" but rather a dolphin/porpoise.

Color Charm: As in increased the chance of encountering Shiny Pokemon, aka the Shiny Charm? Or is the game going to do an idea they did in the original Stadium game where a Pokemon could be slightly different colors from the base. That would certainly be a surprise, though kind of stinks you'd need to wait till post game to see this instead of something being active and the charm only gives you greater control over it.

Multiplayer Costumes: I imagine this is something similar to what other games have been doing with player avatars in the online hub such as with Dragonball FighterZ (or, you know, other Pokemon games that let you pick a Trainer Class to run around as in multiplayer). Personally would rather they just be costumes though I can also see players wanting to run around as the character instead of dressing the default trainer as them. So, what are all the possibilities:
  • Gym Leaders: Brock, Misty, Lt. Surge, Erika, Koga, Sabrina, Blaine, Giovanni
  • Pokemon League: Lorelei, Bruno, Agatha, Lance, Red, Blue
  • Notable NPCs: Playable characters, Trace, Professor Oak, Mom, Mr. Fuji, Center Nurse, Mart Clerk, Bill, Old Man, Safari Zone Warden, Copycat, Pokemon Fan Club Chairman, Gym Guide; there's other the notable NPCs added in FRLG: Daisy Oak, Primo, Celio, Lostelle, Teala
  • Trainer Classes: Team Rocket Grunt, Youngster, Lass, Hiker, Ace Trainer, Beauty, Biker, Bird Keeper, Black Belt, Bug Catcher, Burglar, Camper, Channeler, Cue Ball, Engineer, Fisherman, Gamer, Gentleman, Juggler, Picnicker, Poke Maniac, Psychic, Rocker, Sailor, Scientist, Super Nerd, Swimmer, Tamer
On top of that, would there only be one model for them or would they maybe give some clothing options to choose from. Like Gym Leaders/Elite Four having clothes they worn in other games and Trainer Classes having different set of clothing (mainly palette swaps).

Joycon Move: If they wanted to implement Z-Moves this does sound like a rather unique way to do it. Let's remember, these games are for kids and for most of the experience they'd be sitting down. So what better way to get them to do a little exercise by performing the Z-Move poses? Would probably have to simplify some motions, or just have any motion count and not expect the kid to know that (and not make the adult players having to jump around), but I could see it working.
Otherwise don't know what they could be besides just boosting a move's power and giving it a flashier animation.

Color Charm: As in increased the chance of encountering Shiny Pokemon, aka the Shiny Charm? Or is the game going to do an idea they did in the original Stadium game where a Pokemon could be slightly different colors from the base. That would certainly be a surprise, though kind of stinks you'd need to wait till post game to see this instead of something being active and the charm only gives you greater control over it.
The original post sounds like it was (or at least pretended to have been) translated from Japanese, e.g. "application" instead of "app", finishing the title, "campaign" etc., so I think it's just a Shiny Charm. (FWIW: The Japanese term for "shiny" is 色違い, which literally means different color.)

The Project Eevee Twitter account just tweeted this:

Last edited:

A rather long preview was uploaded about a week ago, but there's only a bit of new info from it. You can see the evolution animation and some unseen trainer classes. The biggest thing here is that at about 5:10 a non starter Eevee levels up and learns Swift at Level 21 now, also showing the stat screen. It's not the starter forme but you can see it has Double Kick now, so it's likely the starter eevee will also have it, and the new learnsets may end up being the same for both starter and non-starters. Could have potential to bring some interesting move to the eeveelutions.

- Gambler/engineer classes

- 2 routes

- Pidgey evolving into pidgeotto

About this, cant this screen be used to calculate eevees base stats similarly to how pikachus one was predicted?
Unfortunately, the losers on the video camera are blocking Eevee's HP, Attack and CP, meaning that our estimates probably wouldn't be particularly accurate. Even if the missing stats were shown, however, this video also shows us playing dress up with Pikachu, meaning that this footage is most likely from LG Pikachu and not LG Eevee, meaning that this is probably a wild Eevee (unless you can actually trade the starter forms, but why would you be able to play dress up with another game's starter?), meaning that it wouldn't matter anyways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)