Pokémon Let's Go! - Pikachu and Eevee

Can people stop claiming it has no difficulty? Without overleveling, many Gym Leaders tear you to shreds, like Surge's Raichu or Misty's Starmie
It has no difficulty in the sense that starters make the game excessively easy, both of them.

If you purposely don't abuse Pikachu and Eevee, afaik the game has decent challenge. Nothing that should threaten a veteran, but not a complete cakewalk.

Tell me how in a turn-based jRPG where strategy defines the Combat System, being overleveled (that means why over the level you are suposed to be at a certain point in game) to ensure that you can overcome the game's challenges is not a bad design. I think it's obvious.
??? What does this even mean? The poster said that bosses pose a challenge as long as you’re not overleveled. That sounds like standard JRPG difficulty to me?

It has no difficulty in the sense that starters make the game excessively easy, both of them.

If you purposely don't abuse Pikachu and Eevee, afaik the game has decent challenge. Nothing that should threaten a veteran, but not a complete cakewalk.
In fairness, you can blow through almost every game in the series with the possible exception of SM/USUM if you just pick the Water starter and don’t level anything else (plus maybe some random things for bad Gym type matchups and the cover legendary). Not to the extent of the PLGO starters, obviously, but the series has never done a great job of figuring out how to balance the challenge so that it’s equally hard for a team of 4-6 at normal levels and a team of 1-2 that’s overleveled. The latter pretty much always has an advantage.

Pokémon has customizable difficulty through your party. It's pointless to say that it's easy or difficult. Depends on what you pick.
Yes and not.
The main issue is that the breaking point is the starter that you can't opt to not get, compared to the wild pokemon who you might or might not run into, and might or might not catch.

Obviously, you can opt to not use the starter, but that's what you define as "player imposed difficulty", as in, you purposely nerf yourself in order to have a challenge.

??? What does this even mean? The poster said that bosses pose a challenge as long as you’re not overleveled. That sounds like standard JRPG difficulty to me?
I'm pretty sure I understood his message correctly. This is what he said:

Without overleveling, many Gym Leaders tear you to shreds, like Surge's Raichu or Misty's Starmie.

That means, literally, that if you are not overleveled, gym leaders will tear you to shreds. That could've been "without strategy, many Gym Leaders will tear you to shreds", "without a basic understanding of the type matchup, many Gym Leaders tear you to shreds". But no, it is implied that, without overleveling your team, Gym Leaders will tear you to shreds. Again, as I understand it, tell me how its good game design if the only thing avoiding the scenario of you being rekt is via Overleveling.

Without overleveling, many Gym Leaders tear you to shreds, like Surge's Raichu or Misty's Starmie.

That means, literally, that if you are not overleveled, gym leaders will tear you to shreds. That could've been "without strategy, many Gym Leaders will tear you to shreds", "without a basic understanding of the type matchup, many Gym Leaders tear you to shreds". But no, it is implied that, without overleveling your team, Gym Leaders will tear you to shreds. Again, as I understand it, tell me how its good game design if the only thing avoiding the scenario of you being rekt is via Overleveling.
I am quite confident what he actually meant is "if you do not overlevel and aren't abusing type matchups, you'll get murdered". Which is, realistic and makes sense. It's arguably the same in most Pokemon games, problem is expecially in latest entries bar USUM, you are overleveled without even trying to.

If in order to be overleveled you have to purposely have grinded significantly more than the game normally pushes you into (due to trainers / wild encounters on the way from point A to B) then game being trivial when overleveled isn't a problem.
If you end up overleveled by doing the bar minimum of walking from town to town like it was in XY, ORAS or SM, well yeh, that's awful.

He’s saying that assuming you aren’t overleveled to basically allow you to cheese through the fight, the battles are challenging (aka actually require strategy). That’s normal for RPG bosses.

Last edited:

It was a bit of an overestimate, I was like 18-20 with my main party when I got swept by his level 26 or whatever Raichu, but the point is that if you dont really try to catch and defeat every single thing you see (and, thus, get overleveled) the game offers great challenge, Starmie and Raichu almost felt like Totem Battles without the backup

I'm the kind of player that difficulty does not bother me. It's the content in the game. I do not count cutscenes as content. If it's literally just yellow but in HD and cutscenes with some candy minigame it's not worth 60. To me 60 dollars is presenting a living, breathing world of pokemon with meaningful side quests and story, with an online hub much better than festival plaza.

Maybe a complete game and not garbage business practices like multiple versions a gen to fill in the gaps you paid for earlier. But the fanbase that throws money at them and defends gamefreak like they're relatives just irks me.

I cannot reply to all of you, but that's ok. I mean, that's just what I understood. The connotation of certain expresion I'm familiar with in spanish differs from those in english.

Does anybody know what to do in the Rocket Hideout under Game Corner after getting the lift key? Theres a weird thin iron wall bewteen me and the lift and I have no idea how to continue

I have to say after actually playing it, the ball throwing on handheld mode is less garbage than I feared. It's almost enjoyable.

Now see you in 3 years when I manage to get a Eevee nature I like

Something that just crossed my mind:

Is Let's Go the first Pokemon RPG title in which you actually catch your starter? I am quite sure it is

I have to say after actually playing it, the ball throwing on handheld mode is less garbage than I feared. It's almost enjoyable.

Now see you in 3 years when I manage to get a Eevee nature I like
I thought the datamine said you couldn’t soft-reset your nature of the starters.
Something that just crossed my mind:

Is Let's Go the first Pokemon RPG title in which you actually catch your starter? I am quite sure it is
GO was the first technically.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Some catch-up time...

So by discarding options, I think this decision was to attract the "Genwunners" (yes people, they still exist), the kind of people that constantly say: OMG THESE NEW POKEMON SUCK NINTENDO DO A GAME WITH ONLY THE ORIGINAL 150 REEEEEEEEEEEEE. But even still! Why introducing things they mostly despise, like Mega Evolution, Alolan Forms and a new object-based Pokémon? This makes no sense! Just who is the target of this 60$ game?
GO did attract a lot of the players who probably stopped playing Pokemon after the Gameboy Color era, so they could maybe be thinking if they showed these fans some of the new advancements but not overwhelm them with them they can have Let's Go act as a sort of "dipping their toes" to get them to play the core series. There's plenty of Abilities and some do change how certain Pokemon play (or play against) though there's nothing really visual to see so it's something the player needs to keep track of. Meanwhile Mega Evolutions are just a super form that has a very notable visual cue. Alolan Forms are an alternate form of a Pokemon that too has a notable visual difference from the normal Pokemon. As for Meltan, I think it's creation is a combination of multiple things: them wanting to do a neat event idea with Pokemon GO, wanting to get people hyped for Gen VIII, & give Kanto some new lore and another Mythical.

Honestly the issue isn't "who is the target audience" but rather "is the game worth $60, especially when compared to the most recent core series titles"?

3. Audience: Judging from the interviews, Let's Go is primarily for kids, according to Masuda. But its also for Go fans. And its also for casual players! As well as VGC/Hardcore players! Its for everyone! No it really isn't.... (...) Also if another reason is to bring Go players to the Main franchise, they don't have to lock it behind Gen 1 - Go players are looking forward future not the past.
Kids can play the core series just fine, and the core series has become more and more casual as more quality of life features have been added. There's nothing for VGC/Hardcore players except maybe creating a quirky meta, but that's not going to be something GF supports. The only one I buy is for the GO players. But, as you said, GO players have moved on from the original 151, they're up to Gen IV/Sinnoh. If anything Let's Go locking itself to the Gen I Pokemon more shows Masuda being behind the times.

I agree with almost everything you said, but not with this. Chibi just for the sake of younger kids? Just no. I'm 25 years old and I absolutely LOVE chibi designs and I know tons of other 20+ aged people do as well. I prefer to play a chibi game rather than a game that tries hard to look as real as possible but isn't quite it. As for the graphics, the fact that I really like the graphics is just personal. I just love the way it looks, nothing more, nothing less.
As someone who played Pokemon since the beginning, I'm used to my overworld characters looking scrunched up to their in-battle version. ;) While I do like Gen VII finally had the overworld and in-battle models be the same and would prefer they stick with that for the core series, I wouldn't mind if they use the Let's Go overworld style. My problem was never the art style, that looks great and full of life.[/QUOTE]

Jesus christ, your prayers have been heard, this game is not a cakewalk
You oneshot everything with your Eevee until Misty comes around, burns your Eevee and finishes it off next turn, all while you do like 4% of damage with a 70BP STAB
So what Misty does in Gen I generally. At least they kept in the spirit of the original games.

I don't have hard numbers right now but I heard the game's predicted Japanese sales aren't too hot. Splatoon 2 did better, apparently.
Splatoon 2 was advertised better and didn't have the game director talk like he was out of touch with the fans.

- Misty briefly appears in Vermillion City and has a little extra characterization (she says she goes there because she prefers swimming in the ocean instead of in a swimming pool). She also offers to warp the player to Diglett's Cave (wut?).
Oh, they're bringing back the "teleport you to the right direction" feature from ORAS? Eh, never really liked that feature as I felt like if I refused I'd missed out on special dialogue. Don't mind being told where to go next, but don't want the game to just teleport me there. Of course I consider exploring a major part about a main series Pokemon game and that does include backtracking, especially if you get new ways to explore previous routes like getting a new HM.

The games have received better scores than BW2 in most spanish sites
Well, it's everyone's right to have a wrong opinion.

Can people stop claiming it has no difficulty? Without overleveling, many Gym Leaders tear you to shreds, like Surge's Raichu or Misty's Starmie
Yeah, if you have to be over-leveled then that's not good design. Now if they're having you use Type advantage that's another thing, but even you said that having the Type advantage over Misty doesn't help you much. One sees if the player understands the game mechanics in order to evenly match/get the advantage over the boss, the other is just a wall which requires wasting extra game time just to pass.

PSA: Starter is Nature locked upon capture and can't be SR'd in Oaks Lab.
How long does it take to see your Starter's Nature after the cutscene its caught? Getting flashbacks of getting Gen VII's Starters and having to wait through minutes of cutscenes to see if you got at least a decent Nature. *sigh*

It was a bit of an overestimate, I was like 18-20 with my main party when I got swept by his level 26 or whatever Raichu, but the point is that if you dont really try to catch and defeat every single thing you see (and, thus, get overleveled) the game offers great challenge, Starmie and Raichu almost felt like Totem Battles without the backup
Okay, but how does it feel when you're equal level with the opponent? Of course the opponent is going to feel difficult if they got 6+ levels on you, at that point I'd argue your underleveled and you imposed a self-challenge.

Also, you didn't battle every trainer? While I would agree catching every wild Pokemon would be considered grinding, trainer battles are meant to be there to assure you're at least at the level you need to be around.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
So... a little about chaining/transferring for candy:
- You get progressively more candy per capture as you chain.
- Eventually you start getting candy L as you chain.
- Transferring more of the same Pokémon gives you candy and then eventually L/XL.
- You get a Pokémon-specific candy (e.g., Pikachu Candy) at 50 transferred.

I'm going to see if you get Pokémon-specific candy at multiples of 10.

You get a ridiculous amount at higher chains per battle.

Last edited:
So... a little about chaining/transferring for candy:
- You get progressively more candy per capture as you chain.
- Eventually you start getting candy L as you chain.
- Transferring more of the same Pokémon gives you candy and then eventually L/XL.
- You get a Pokémon-specific candy (e.g., Pikachu Candy) at 50 transferred.

I'm going to see if you get Pokémon-specific candy at multiples of 10.
Damn the amount of grind and button mashing to max out a pokemon candy stats would be massive
That definitely rules out purposely bruteforcing postgame with candies at least. Not a bad thing.

It also makes me think any attempt at fully stat-upped pvp will remain on simulators cause imagine how much time it'd take to max out 6 let alone several teams of mons

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Damn the amount of grind and button mashing to max out a pokemon candy stats would be massive
That definitely rules out purposely bruteforcing postgame with candies at least. Not a bad thing.

It also makes me think any attempt at fully stat-upped pvp will remain on simulators cause imagine how much time it'd take to max out 6 let alone several teams of mons
You are completely misunderstanding. I'm saying it is super easy to get candy. Pokémon-specific candy just gives +1 in every stat. Regular candy gives +1 in a specific stat.

Other finds:
- Higher chains means higher spawn % for that Pokémon. I've had 8 Pikachu on the screen at a time. I guess this means you can despawn some of the Pikachu for others and "reset" for shinies that way.
- Higher chains = higher chance for big/small and boosted EXP.
- After a chain of 75 you start getting XL candies.

Video of Pika spawn madness:

You get no Pokémon-specific candy at 55, 60, or 75, so I think it is every 50 transfers, which makes the specific candies entirely worthless compared to the regular ones.

Here are the results candy-wise from a chain of 75 Pikachu.

Last edited:
You get a ridiculous amount at higher chains per battle.
You are completely misunderstanding. I'm saying it is super easy to get candy. Pokémon-specific candy just gives +1 in every stat. Regular candy gives +1 in a specific stat.
Right I completely missed the last sentence in your post ^^""" I blame phones :x

Well okay, It's still going to be a massive chore for mons that aren't farmable like Legendaryes I guess.. I wonder how feasible that would be for actually rare mons

Stellar

of the Distant Past

After a certain point, you can no longer use regular Quick Candies an are forced to use L or XL candies. A stat calc says a Pokémon with 120 base speed and a positive nature at Lv24 should have 77 Speed. My Pikachu has 130 now, which is a difference of 53. I'd assume three of those points are random level-up candy boosts and the other 50 are from Quick Candies.

Near the end, each additional Speed point required ~16 Quick Candies... so the cost definitely adds up quickly. It took 424 candies to get the message above.

Some catch-up time...

GO did attract a lot of the players who probably stopped playing Pokemon after the Gameboy Color era, so they could maybe be thinking if they showed these fans some of the new advancements but not overwhelm them with them they can have Let's Go act as a sort of "dipping their toes" to get them to play the core series. There's plenty of Abilities and some do change how certain Pokemon play (or play against) though there's nothing really visual to see so it's something the player needs to keep track of. Meanwhile Mega Evolutions are just a super form that has a very notable visual cue. Alolan Forms are an alternate form of a Pokemon that too has a notable visual difference from the normal Pokemon. As for Meltan, I think it's creation is a combination of multiple things: them wanting to do a neat event idea with Pokemon GO, wanting to get people hyped for Gen VIII, & give Kanto some new lore and another Mythical.

Honestly the issue isn't "who is the target audience" but rather "is the game worth $60, especially when compared to the most recent core series titles"?

Kids can play the core series just fine, and the core series has become more and more casual as more quality of life features have been added. There's nothing for VGC/Hardcore players except maybe creating a quirky meta, but that's not going to be something GF supports. The only one I buy is for the GO players. But, as you said, GO players have moved on from the original 151, they're up to Gen IV/Sinnoh. If anything Let's Go locking itself to the Gen I Pokemon more shows Masuda being behind the times.

As someone who played Pokemon since the beginning, I'm used to my overworld characters looking scrunched up to their in-battle version. ;) While I do like Gen VII finally had the overworld and in-battle models be the same and would prefer they stick with that for the core series, I wouldn't mind if they use the Let's Go overworld style. My problem was never the art style, that looks great and full of life.

So what Misty does in Gen I generally. At least they kept in the spirit of the original games.

Splatoon 2 was advertised better and didn't have the game director talk like he was out of touch with the fans.

Oh, they're bringing back the "teleport you to the right direction" feature from ORAS? Eh, never really liked that feature as I felt like if I refused I'd missed out on special dialogue. Don't mind being told where to go next, but don't want the game to just teleport me there. Of course I consider exploring a major part about a main series Pokemon game and that does include backtracking, especially if you get new ways to explore previous routes like getting a new HM.

Well, it's everyone's right to have a wrong opinion.

Yeah, if you have to be over-leveled then that's not good design. Now if they're having you use Type advantage that's another thing, but even you said that having the Type advantage over Misty doesn't help you much. One sees if the player understands the game mechanics in order to evenly match/get the advantage over the boss, the other is just a wall which requires wasting extra game time just to pass.

How long does it take to see your Starter's Nature after the cutscene its caught? Getting flashbacks of getting Gen VII's Starters and having to wait through minutes of cutscenes to see if you got at least a decent Nature. *sigh*

Okay, but how does it feel when you're equal level with the opponent? Of course the opponent is going to feel difficult if they got 6+ levels on you, at that point I'd argue your underleveled and you imposed a self-challenge.

Also, you didn't battle every trainer? While I would agree catching every wild Pokemon would be considered grinding, trainer battles are meant to be there to assure you're at least at the level you need to be around.
[/QUOTE]
Boy, I could beat the originals being like 15 levels under, this is most definetly more difficult (mostly because of the dumb AI and bad movesets of course)

!This is a reply to Page 40!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)