Pokémon Let's Go! - Pikachu and Eevee

Size. XS and XL pokémon give a much larger multiplier.
I already had this is mind. Size is also the same in both situations. One every ~20 Chansey I just get a massive amount of EXP of 80.000+ and I still haven't figured out why.

I already had this is mind. Size is also the same in both situations. One every ~20 Chansey I just get a massive amount of EXP of 80.000+ and I still haven't figured out why.
Could it happen at certain "milestones" in a chain? I noticed comparable results when chaining chanseys for experience and as well similar catches (first try + excellent ) occasionally provided significantly more experience than normal

Could it happen at certain "milestones" in a chain? I noticed comparable results when chaining chanseys for experience and as well similar catches (first try + excellent ) occasionally provided significantly more experience than normal
I really don't know. I will upload pics later, so you can see.

Someone in a Reddit thread suggested this as well since they were also seeing periodic massive bumps in experience but I can’t seem to find any articles that detail this mechanic. Probably something good for the research thread.

PikachuVincent

Banned deucer.
While I'm also hoping for a more consistently competitive rival in gen 8, I'm not sure if this is actually such a bad thing in this particular case. After all, we've already had a non-buddy rival for the Kanto games on multiple occasions. Yes, Trace isn't Blue, but you can always experience this particular journey with Blue as rival by going back to RBY or FRLG. Of course the same is true in reverse - if they ever did a Let's Go of the Hoenn games for instance, it'd be a nice change of pace to have a rival who gets in your way more often.

What I don't really understand is why replacing Red as player character is a big deal. It's not like he has loads of personality in these games, he's just a kid with a hat. In fact, it has the upside of including Red, Blue and even Green as NPCs, which they didn't have to do. It's true that those three don't have lots and lots of screentime, but having them in those roles was a neat addition.

To return to Trace, though, I felt the way they handled him in the end was more interesting that what they did for previous friendly rivals. Oak's final words to him, that his kindness actually cost him the win contrasts the message he had for Blue in the original games. I felt it worked better than Cheren simply admiring you or Calem/Serena/Hau essentially just saying they'll train harder. Unfortunately they didn't follow through with it properly in the rematch, but I liked the direction at least.

I'm not sure if I misunderstood you, but I feel like you're framing the mechanic at least somewhat inaccurately. After all, the timer and the catching mechanic are independent of each other, as in, one is only in phase 1 of the fight and the other only in phase 2. I think this matters because while yes, adding a timer to something you don't have a lot of control over can be frustrating, that's not what happens here (not explicitly at least). Instead, they added a timer to the phase you have complete control over (or well, as much control as you can have in a Pokemon game), so it's just a matter of whether your team is strong enough to keep up in these boss fights.

While I want them to go back to the regular catching mechanics in gen 8, I think for these supposedly difficult fights, it's not a bad concept. At the very least it means you actually have to do some fighting instead of being able to brute force the capture. The timer adds a sense of urgency to this, so I guess ideally I'd like some hybrid solution.

Finally, a few separate thoughts while I'm at it:
  • Catching rewards: The original games rewarded you for catching a certain amount of Pokemon and I think it's great that they not only left this in, but even expanded on it a bit. Using it as a gym requirement was questionable (like the requirements in general, really), but using it for some of the gift Pokemon was a good move in my eyes. Later games don't give you much of an incentive to catch Pokemon outside the ones you want to use in your party since the diploma for completing the Pokedex is becoming more and more of a herculean task, so I welcome these kinds of milestones.
  • Battle coaches: Good continuation of the route kahunas. Not only are there more of them, they also give you more worthwhile rewards for beating them. I'm a bit split on whether it's better than you can just challenge them or only after you clear out the rest of the route. The latter could have better synergy with the way they changed the exp formula since it gives you a reason to battle trainers even if they don't give you as much experience anymore.
Uhh, this was an answer to another answer that I stated my opinion on. I see what you getting on, but I HATE the trigger battles (as I said many times). For Trace.... I didn’t like him. Almost at all. I liked a blue because although Oak scolded him, to me. If he did that to me. It would be a complement. That I must get stronger. that I might change my ways. Also to me, Red was kind of a big deal. Wished my. Sliver was in there game... then you can challenge him that way. Like in HG.
Honestly, this game was bad to me. Also the Trigger battle mechanics are just trash IMO.

Dude there is no need to go on about it (just cause you dont like trigger battles and there are people who do doesn't mean you need to keep posting it)
I am pretty sure this thread is about looking for help with game and it's mechanics not complain about them because you don't like them
EDIT probably better to take it to the unpopular opinions thread or another place that's more suited for it
DOUBLE EDIT on another note I would really like to see this mass experience implemented in the core series games (fat chance of that though)

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
While I'm also hoping for a more consistently competitive rival in gen 8, I'm not sure if this is actually such a bad thing in this particular case. After all, we've already had a non-buddy rival for the Kanto games on multiple occasions. Yes, Trace isn't Blue, but you can always experience this particular journey with Blue as rival by going back to RBY or FRLG. Of course the same is true in reverse - if they ever did a Let's Go of the Hoenn games for instance, it'd be a nice change of pace to have a rival who gets in your way more often.
Hm, that's not a bad idea, if they're going to continue Let's Go and replace the playable characters & their rivals might as well mix up the roles. This of course would mean Johto games would have a nice rival, though Hoenn onwards would be the opposite effect.

What I don't really understand is why replacing Red as player character is a big deal. It's not like he has loads of personality in these games, he's just a kid with a hat. In fact, it has the upside of including Red, Blue and even Green as NPCs, which they didn't have to do. It's true that those three don't have lots and lots of screentime, but having them in those roles was a neat addition.
Well one thing is I'm a stickler for continuity. Now it is neat that since they have a new set of playable characters & rival it means you can battle Red, Blue, and Green as bonus bosses. Though outside of that, it also means that Red, Blue, and Green don't have much importance anymore. Red (or Green) no longer is the one who defeated Team Rocket and Red nor Blue became the official League Champion (though they did establish they are Champions as they defeated the Elite Four... which makes you wonder if they even offered them (and past Champions) the position and they turned it down). Granted, this is only in the Let's Go continuity (so that's a third timeline now: Original, Ultimate, & Let's Go), but still it does make them less special in-world.

I'm not sure if I misunderstood you, but I feel like you're framing the mechanic at least somewhat inaccurately. After all, the timer and the catching mechanic are independent of each other, as in, one is only in phase 1 of the fight and the other only in phase 2. I think this matters because while yes, adding a timer to something you don't have a lot of control over can be frustrating, that's not what happens here (not explicitly at least). Instead, they added a timer to the phase you have complete control over (or well, as much control as you can have in a Pokemon game), so it's just a matter of whether your team is strong enough to keep up in these boss fights.
That's my bad, I thought the Timer continued even when trying to catch the Legendary/Snorlax. So it's only for the Battle portion? That seems even more pointless to have then, the battle shouldn't take long unless your unprepared (aka underleveled and/or have no super effective moves) for it.

While I want them to go back to the regular catching mechanics in gen 8, I think for these supposedly difficult fights, it's not a bad concept. At the very least it means you actually have to do some fighting instead of being able to brute force the capture. The timer adds a sense of urgency to this, so I guess ideally I'd like some hybrid solution.
Maybe they can give Legendary two HP bars: a barrier you need to break and then their actual HP. You can only start weakening them & attempting to catch them once their barrier is broken (though you can still inflict status ailments, Poison and Burn would just damage the barrier if its up). If you don't capture it soon it'll regenerate the barrier (though maybe only at half), however their normal HP remains the same so you just need to break the barrier again to start throwing balls again.

Finally, a few separate thoughts while I'm at it:
  • Catching rewards: The original games rewarded you for catching a certain amount of Pokemon and I think it's great that they not only left this in, but even expanded on it a bit. Using it as a gym requirement was questionable (like the requirements in general, really), but using it for some of the gift Pokemon was a good move in my eyes. Later games don't give you much of an incentive to catch Pokemon outside the ones you want to use in your party since the diploma for completing the Pokedex is becoming more and more of a herculean task, so I welcome these kinds of milestones.
  • Battle coaches: Good continuation of the route kahunas. Not only are there more of them, they also give you more worthwhile rewards for beating them. I'm a bit split on whether it's better than you can just challenge them or only after you clear out the rest of the route. The latter could have better synergy with the way they changed the exp formula since it gives you a reason to battle trainers even if they don't give you as much experience anymore.
Wouldn't mind if for Gift Pokemon or items they put those behind a catching requirement, since you're getting those handed to you it could be used as a way to reward players for doing the task the Pokemon Professor sent them out to do in the first place. Another way to encourage players to fill the Dex would be bringing back the Habitat Lists/Dex Nav and have it when you complete catching all the Pokemon a location has you get a reward.

I also like the Battle Coaches and think they're a nice reward for beating all the normal Trainers on the Route. Route Trainers are normally just there to be experience sponges, so having an expert Trainer that's meant to be the challenging one and give you a reward for beating them (thus a reward for beating all the trainers on the Route) is a nice way to make you feel there's a point on battling every single Trainer even though you wipe the floor with them 99% of the time.

PikachuVincent & Pikachu50:
Sure a lot of Pikachu around...
Anyway, this thread is a general thread for Let's Go. Meaning as long as it has to do with Let's Go a person can post their thoughts here. While yes my post was a response to PikachuVincent, PageofSwords had some opinions and even corrections with my response and they did so in a polite and well explained way. It was a nice addition to the conversation, bringing in a different opinion and letting me re-adjustment my answer so I don't look like an idiot can give a more proper comment.

That said, PikachuVincent can still quickly comment they don't like the game and add onto some other points was brought up (though I will fault them on their grammar, I'm kind of having a hard time figuring out what they're saying).

The timer on static battles is actually just a consistency choice most likely.
The whole catching system of Let's Go is about "urgency": you need to catch the wild poke before it runs away.
Having a timer on the battle kinda serves that same purpose ("i need to be strong enough to beat it before it runs away"), which is balanced by the fact the actual catching phase after doesn't have a timer and let's you throw as many balls as you can.

Not saying that the timer is a "good" idea, but it definitely is consistent.

(and also for the birds doublea as pseudo wall from acquiring them too early and rolling through the game with overleveled higb bst mon, as you can get Zapdos and Articuno as soon as you acquire the Pokeflute)

Well I am going to borrow the game (hopefully tomorrow if nothing comes up) and will have a lot more to say here:facepalm:
Serena just cause this is the only one of her (would prefer it be a happy Serena tho)
And yes, I will try to remember punctuation.

Rip they couldn't even make a model for the Pokedex so it's in oaks hands
EDIT
So this encounter system is great (no random grass battles (you know what's what and where it's at))
You can chain fairly easily (you start with a bunch of pokeballs (and catching is fairly easy)
I haven't even gotten to the first gym yet and I already love it.
EDIT Just caught a confusion Butterfree at level 4

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
So, this appeared as a suggested video on Youtube.

For those who don't have the game or haven't tried this particular Master Trainer yet, rest assured, it is as stupid as it sounds:
(Masuda, I would rather be hatching eggs...)

Pretty much, the "optimal" strategy is to use a PP Up on Tackle, Harden till your Defense is at +6, Tackle until you run out, and then use the rest of Harden's and String Shot's PP until your opponent begins to Struggle. That's right, you can't even win by direct battling, you have to STALL your opponent until they're forced to do Struggle and knock out their own Metapod.

Last edited:
That electrode is giant (wait do you have to have the same species to battle master trainers)
That is correct, it's a 1 vs 1 battle, with the same Pokemon of your opponent and no items.

The master trainers have either super easy or particularly elaborate / cheesy sets or pure randomness (flinch hax / metronome based sets).

Obviously, all AI opponents are actually candied up, most of them with > 600 AV applied to them, so they're really more of a chore than interesting sadly.
One of the many "good ideas done terribly" of the game.

So, this appeared as a suggested video on Youtube.

For those who don't have the game or haven't tried this particular Master Trainer yet, rest assured, it is as stupid as it sounds:
(Masuda, I would rather be hatching eggs...)

Pretty much, the "optimal" strategy is to use a PP Up on Tackle, Harden till your Defense is at +6, Tackle until you run out, and then use the rest of Harden's and String Shot's PP until your opponent begins to Struggle. That's right, you can't even win by direct battling, you have to STALL your opponent until they're forced to do Struggle and knock out their own Metapod.
That is correct, it's a 1 vs 1 battle, with the same Pokemon of your opponent and no items.

The master trainers have either super easy or particularly elaborate / cheesy sets or pure randomness (flinch hax / metronome based sets).

Obviously, all AI opponents are actually candied up, most of them with > 600 AV applied to them, so they're really more of a chore than interesting sadly.
One of the many "good ideas done terribly" of the game.
This is the most slap-in the face about Master Trainers. GF decides to discontinue the Battle Frontier because no one one was apparently using it, yet in baby’s first Pokémon, they decide to put the most grinding feature in the game, despite grinding being something hardcore players do. Of course the way they presented it in the interviews is that they only expect people to do it for their favorite Pokémon, but if that’s their logic, there’s no reason to get to rid of Frontier, since people can just choose their favorite Facility and skip all the rest.

You know I’ve always wondered where GF gets opinions like these from. And if they do, what population they primarily use? I doubt they use fan sites and Smogon to help determine their opinions.

Last edited:
You know I’ve always wondered where GF gets opinions like these from. And if they do, what population they primarily use? I doubt they use fan sites and Smogon to help determine their opinions.
I would assume they only base their feedback on a limited selection of the Japanese audience, which we know very well is completely different from what the rest of the planet demands.

Of course the way they presented it in the interviews is that they only expect people to do it for their favorite Pokémon, but if that’s their logic, there’s no reason to get to rid of Frontier, since people can just choose their favorite Facility and skip all the rest.
In that case the logic would be that since you can't just get through the Battle Frontier by only using your favourite pokémon, no one wanted to use it.

That's the "best" possible reason I can think of.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Of course the way they presented it in the interviews is that they only expect people to do it for their favorite Pokémon, but if that’s their logic, there’s no reason to get to rid of Frontier, since people can just choose their favorite Facility and skip all the rest.
Master Trainers are easier to do than the Battle Frontier. For the Battle Frontier they have to make a location as big as a city, design unique buildings both outside and inside, program in mechanics that change how battles are done, program hundreds of trainers to battle (some shared, some specific), and fill it with NPCs (including making a group of unique characters: the Frontier Brains).

Master Trainers they just slapped a red coat on already made Trainer Classes, give them a single Pokemon and thinking of a moveset that'll make mirror matches "challenging", and then place them all around the region.

It took little to no effort to develop the Master Trainers. Battle Frontier takes more considerable effort and, in theory, they decided it was better to put the effort needed to make one (having a single Battle Tower location be enough for post game) and use it to make some other content they were interesting in doing. That said, it wouldn't hurt them to maybe incorporate some additional mechanics to the Battle Tower (or whatever they decide to call it) to make it feel a bit more expansive (have Rental Pokemon, maybe a Little Cup mode, Inverse Battles were also pretty cool; there's plenty of neat little things they can do without having to make that many new graphics).

I would assume they only base their feedback on a limited selection of the Japanese audience, which we know very well is completely different from what the rest of the planet demands.
I question even that. It feels like GF doesn't really listen to criticism as they more respond to massively negative feedback... and usually in pandering ways while just completely discarding the mechanic. Heck, they discard mechanics that get good praise so it feels more like GF is doing what they want. WHICH ISN'T BAD, these are their games and far be it from me to stifle their creativity. I just have two different things to say to two different groups:

To Players: Don't get attached to mechanics. Certainly complain about mechanics you don't like so GF hopefully listens and doesn't do them again; however GF seems to have a lot of ideas and once they done them they move onto the next batch of ideas no matter how liked some of the "done" ideas were.

To Game Freak: Maybe take more into account the mechanics that players liked and find a way to keep them going, maybe in work on them to get out the kinks and find ways to expand out with it. You get much more from quality over quantity, especially in the case where it makes the games feel focused instead of pulling the player's attention/what they need to know every which way.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Uhhh, I don't think I really care about grammar that much sooooo..... Nah
Well, in addition to it just being polite to others to make your post easier to understand, it's also part of the rules:

• Employ the conventions of standard written English. Nobody is going to jump down your throat if you make a spelling mistake or split an infinitive, but please, your posts MUST be readable. As you might imagine, l33t 5p34k and other intentional misspellings (u, liek, etc.) are expressly banned. Spell out "you" and "your" instead of typing "u" or "ur."
No point in joining in a conversation if no one can understand you.

I was wondering is there a list of just the Pokemon that are version exclusives (listing the version), along with the ones that won't appear in the wild anywhere?

Actually I am looking for something that lists version exclusives plus what can only be obtained from evolution and isn't something you can catch listed together.
This is a good start though if it will load on my phone.

Actually I am looking for something that lists version exclusives plus what can only be obtained from evolution and isn't something you can catch listed together.
This is a good start though if it will load on my phone.
Other than the version exclusives, the only pokemon not available in the wild are Kabutops, Omastar, Wartortle, Blastoise, Ivysaur, Venusaur, Charmeleon, and the 3 Eevolutions. There is also only a single Mewtwo, while there's infinite legendary birds available.
(Note that Eevee, the kanto starters, and technically infinite fossils are available in the wild, just their evolutions except Charizard aren't)

Other than the version exclusives, the only pokemon not available in the wild are Kabutops, Omastar, Wartortle, Blastoise, Ivysaur, Venusaur, Charmeleon, and the 3 Eevolutions. There is also only a single Mewtwo, while there's infinite legendary birds available.
(Note that Eevee, the kanto starters, and technically infinite fossils are available in the wild, just their evolutions except Charizard aren't)
Also, the Meltan and Alolan form evolutionary lines are the only ones to be completely unavailable in the wild, but apart from them, Mew and Mewtwo, everything can be found in the wild at some stage.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)