Pokémon Let's Go! - Pikachu and Eevee

It's actually kind of insane that USUM couldn't even sell half as many units as SM did. I know it was basically the same game with a few new Pokemon, but not even half? Man I wonder how well PLG is going to do. Hopefully it tanks so they know this is not the right direction.
I don't think it necessarily the wrong direction, it appears to be a pattern that primary versions sell more than remakes and 3rd versions. Here:
Consider that, aside from what Wallace said (third versions/remakes always sold less, often significantly less, than the main game), the trend doesn't really impact PLGO.

No matter how much they keep calling it core game, the fanbase has accepted it as basically a Coliseum-level spinoff, so PLGO sales should not really give any "signal" about the direction of the development. The only signal a PLGO flop could give would be that they completely screwed up with the marketing trying to sell a game to a playerbase that doesn't want it, but that's about it.

Plus, people discredit USUM way more than they should. USUM was a good game, SM is the error that should never have existed :P

Third versions have always sold much less than the first ones.

IIRC Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are the third best-selling third versions.

We are getting more Let's Go gameplay on Thursday after the Smash direct, hopefully it's something new this time.
You're really being too optimistic there. I have issues seeing what else there could be left gamewise that would be a surprise at this point...

Ultimately, it's still a Pokemon Yellow HD we're talking about

New trailer from the Nintendo channel. Not much mechanics wise but there's some new info.

• You can 2v1 gym leaders in co-op mode
  • Shows meltan transfer, using a move to kill graveler (Mirror Shot/Flash Cannon?)
  • Shows Eevee using its partner power in a link battle, Pikachu uses (probably) Volt Tackle

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
We are getting more Let's Go gameplay on Thursday after the Smash direct, hopefully it's something new this time.
Thanks for telling me that! I rarely stay around for the Treehouse (hopefully they won't take too long to get to the Let's Go stuff).

You can 2v1 gym leaders in co-op mode
To think in the "Little Things That Annoy You" thread we're discussing ways they could make Gym Leaders more challenging while keeping within the theme of that Gym... and Let's Go is letting you have a friend help gang up on the Gym Leader. *sigh*

Lavender Town & Pokemon Tower:
0:01: Nice, they're bringing back the classic "ghost" instead of the angry purple cloud they had in FRLG. :)
0:04: And they have a Cubone following the player, cause if you aren't crying from fright you're crying from sadness. Though that makes me wonder if they're going to make the Marowak Ghost battle a bit more interesting...
0:23: I can just see all the "I've seen s***" memes with the Channeler's model.
0:25 (& Thumbnail Image): Hmm, now the background is interesting. Sadden Ghastly heads without the gas around them? I'm going to guess maybe this is what the new "purified healing" zone is, instead of a symbol on the floor its pacified spirits surrounding you.
0:36: I'm guessing that was the "don't believe in ghosts? What's that white hand on your shoulder" girl. Curious if they're going to do anything with that joke, like after she says it you can check on Pikachu and for a moment you see a transparent hand that was petting Pikachu/Eevee fade away, leaving Pikachu/Eevee confused.

New trailer from the Nintendo channel. Not much mechanics wise but there's some new info.

• Shows meltan transfer, using a move to kill graveler (Mirror Shot/Flash Cannon?)
  • Shows Eevee using its partner power in a link battle, Pikachu uses (probably) Volt Tackle
Isn't it weird that they promote this game for kids yet they use young adults? But then again, it was for GO players. Wait, no it wasn't. Actually, who cares? This game is schizoprenic that they say its for Go Players trying to get into the main series, but apparently dumb it down for kids.

Here's me still wishing co-op made its way to the regular games... even though it's practically impossible for it to happen.

Isn't it weird that they promote this game for kids yet they use young adults? But then again, it was for GO players. Wait, no it wasn't. Actually, who cares? This game is schizoprenic that they say its for Go Players trying to get into the main series, but apparently dumb it down for kids.
Because it's for both. Kids and those whose only recent Pokémon experience was GO.

Here's me still wishing co-op made its way to the regular games... even though it's practically impossible for it to happen.
Ehhhh I wouldn't rule it out.

Yes it breaks / makes the game stupidly easier, but it's not like the storylines are hard to begin with (if you exclude USUM).

It's one of the features I could actually see resurfacing in future.

Meanwhile we got the English version of the spooky trailer.

Nothing special at all really, just more ghosties.

Re on this:
Seems like either Mirror Shot or a signature move, Flash Cannon definitely has a different animation.

(Also, I realized Meltan/Melmetal are going to be the only Steel type available in PLGO aside from Magnemite and Alolan Sandshrew/Diglett families)

Ehhhh I wouldn't rule it out.

Yes it breaks / makes the game stupidly easier, but it's not like the storylines are hard to begin with (if you exclude USUM).

It's one of the features I could actually see resurfacing in future.
Co-op does make the game a lot easier, but the good times you experience in it compensate the reduced difficulty.

That's why I'm looking forward for that feature.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Ugh, maybe to an extent. If it changes all battles to Double Battles (and each player could only use 3 Pokemon) then sure, that would be neat. But I don't want to have the Let's Go gang up.

Meanwhile we got the English version of the spooky trailer.
Actually the English trailer is a water-down version of the Japanese one. They didn't show the Gen I "Ghost", nor what I'm guessing is the sanctuary area, or talking with the "ghost hand" girl. You know, things that would make it look interesting. All it is is just walking around Lavender Town, inside Pokemon Tower, battling a Channeler, and the Ghastly family battling. Boring.

So Let's Go is now avalible for download, with the file size being 4.1 GB. Thats only slightly more than Ultra Sun/Moon (3.6 GB), which goes to show just how bare bones this game is (the improved graphics are the only thing making it bigger than the USUM games). I know GF told us not to expect a Breath of the Wild (13.4 GB), but come on you have a console that eclipses the 3DS but keep making 3DS size games and expect us to pay AAA prices!

Every advert I have seen just reinforces how little there is in the game. Do you really expect us to be impressed from that Halloween video, which showed us almost all the ghost types in the game and a trainer model? I strongly doubt GF will get away with this, nobody I have spoken to in real life wants this game and they all see it as a betrayal of the older fanbase. I struggle to see how the reviews will be anything but negative to neutral (at best) given how much content most Pokemon games have, which will affect its sales after the initial hype dies down.

So Let's Go is now avalible for download, with the file size being 4.1 GB. Thats only slightly more than Ultra Sun/Moon (3.6 GB), which goes to show just how bare bones this game is (the improved graphics are the only thing making it bigger than the USUM games). I know GF told us not to expect a Breath of the Wild (13.4 GB), but come on you have a console that eclipses the 3DS but keep making 3DS size games and expect us to pay AAA prices!

Every advert I have seen just reinforces how little there is in the game. Do you really expect us to be impressed from that Halloween video, which showed us almost all the ghost types in the game and a trainer model? I strongly doubt GF will get away with this, nobody I have spoken to in real life wants this game and they all see it as a betrayal of the older fanbase. I struggle to see how the reviews will be anything but negative to neutral (at best) given how much content most Pokemon games have, which will affect its sales after the initial hype dies down.
Keep in mind that the size goes down with only 153 Pokémon + Alolan Formes. Though judgment is down on how much that brings the size down.

By the way, as a reference, Pokemon X/Y had a download size of 1.7 GB.

You can set natures on your own accord now? That's nice. I hope this feature carries over to future games.

Baddy Bad sounds stupid, though.

I’ve been playing Pokémon since RBY, bought every main game and all the followups and have been involved in the competitive community for a while and I preordered PLGO. I’m more of a casual fan so I don’t care as much about every game advancing the meta and I enjoy the nostalgia of a more simplified game revolving around the original 151. I still replay Yellow 2-3 times a year anyway just for fun. Would I prefer if it were, say, $30-40 instead of $60? Sure, but I also think I’m gonna get plenty of enjoyment out of it, enough that it will likely take over my annual replays of the original Yellow. It didn’t need to be anything but a 3D remake of Yellow with some of the updated mechanics that make a bigger difference to in-game battling (mainly the physical/special split, which is the main thing that drives me insane about replaying gens 1-3) for me to want it, and that’s basically what we’re getting, so I’m satisfied.

I can see why it’s not for everyone but the claims that they’re betraying the fan base or that they don’t know what they’re doing feel really overblown. Maybe it serves a more niche audience than they anticipated with it not more clearly catering to new fans or old fans but I think there’s plenty of people like me who will be interested; it feels more like the Colosseum games or Mystery Dungeon, which were made for people who enjoy the idea of Pokémon as a franchise and want something familiar but different. It just happens to be the first one of those that’s based on an existing game rather than being completely separate.

Note that there’s also a good amount of confirmation bias in this thread with this being Smogon and ergo a more competitive-focused audience (I mean, there’s a lot of people here who don’t even bother buying the main games anymore and only play on PS!).

Not sure if it was shown earlier, but Misty had just two Pokémon and was shown with a Psyduck here, so her team is Psyduck/Starmie in this game.

Oh yeah forgot to post this yesterday (I've had a horrifc stomach bug, sorry), but here's a pic of Melmetal's HP stat. Take it with a grain of salt since we know there's a new stat system now, but I've noticed that the wacky stats only seem to come from English media. The japanese photos have always had "possible stats".

195 HP is pretty chunky at level 50. Without any EV investment (whcih seems to be the norm in most of the Japanese pics I've seen), we're looking at 120 base HP! Like I said, candies could be messing with this, but its a good sign thus far! And like has already been mentioned, it did outspeed Onix, so it could have a decent Speed stat too.
Looks like Meltan itself is also secretly chunky, quite possibly having the same base HP as its large evolution:

Without EV investment this is a range of base 112-129. Of course I will reiterate Theorymon's point about not taking this for granted with all the candy fuckery.

Also did anyone else know that the floor that sells Evo stones in Celadon is called "Wiseman Gifts"? I saw that in the Treehouse footage today and was baffled about what it could be, but apparently it was called that in FRLG.

Note that there’s also a good amount of confirmation bias in this thread with this being Smogon and ergo a more competitive-focused audience (I mean, there’s a lot of people here who don’t even bother buying the main games anymore and only play on PS!).
I don’t follow how that’s confirmation bias. That’s just...people having preferences about the type of game they like.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)