Pokémon Let's Go! - Pikachu and Eevee

Man tbh I really can't wait to play this game. I'm in love with the graphics and it just seems so much fun. Not worrying about the things I have to worry about in the main series; just playing for fun without all the statistics, tutor moves, breeding, IVs, tryhard shit. It has been a long time since I actually did that. At least that's my approach towards this game. Just reliving Kanto in an awesome new and clean atmosphere.

Last edited:

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
Man tbh I really can't wait to play this game. I'm in love with the graphics and it just seems so much fun. Not worrying about the things I have to worry about in the main series; just playing for fun without all the statistics, tutor moves, breeding, IVs, tryhard shit. Just a It has been a long time since I actually did that. At least that's my approach towards this game. Just reliving Kanto in an awesome new and clean atmosphere.
Agreed. I'm really looking forward to how quickly I can blast through the game with a friend on co-op mode.

Man tbh I really can't wait to play this game. I'm in love with the graphics and it just seems so much fun. Not worrying about the things I have to worry about in the main series; just playing for fun without all the statistics, tutor moves, breeding, IVs, tryhard shit. It has been a long time since I actually did that. At least that's my approach towards this game. Just reliving Kanto in an awesome new and clean atmosphere.
Agreed. I'm really looking forward to how quickly I can blast through the game with a friend on co-op mode.
You see, this is the issue I have with PLGO.

What you say makes perfect sense, and it's a valid reason to want to play PLGO (possibly in some way the same reason for which I'm buying it, relax and have fun with Pokemon).

But the general feeling is that this kind of game should not be payed 60 bucks. I have significant doubts that an entire run of PLGO for someone who isn't an actual kid will take more than a handful hours, let alone 20-30 hours to justify a full AAA price.

So the game is going to be out in a week, and I'm asking this question because I'm genuinely curious, not to be negative or anything:

What new features of the game are those of you who are getting the game most looking forward to? Not gimmicks like riding on various Pokemon or having them follow you, but actual features.

Frankly, I can't come up with anything that makes me want to buy the game other than that it's a Pokemon game, and that alone doesn't justify its price tag. I played gen 1 when I was a kid, and didn't play Pokemon again until XY after my friend mentioned it (tbh I had entirely stopped following Pokemon and didn't even know there was a new game). I bought ORAS because XY made me like Pokemon again, I had never played RSE, and also partly because I wanted more value out of my 3DS. Bought SM because new generation, and USUM because, idk, Pokemon. But PLG really is meh to me in terms of everything. Not a new generation, no new Pokemon, no features I can come up with, really it's just gen 1 updated with select features from gens 2 to 7.

So the game is going to be out in a week, and I'm asking this question because I'm genuinely curious, not to be negative or anything:

What new features of the game are those of you who are getting the game most looking forward to? Not gimmicks like riding on various Pokemon or having them follow you, but actual features.

Frankly, I can't come up with anything that makes me want to buy the game other than that it's a Pokemon game, and that alone doesn't justify its price tag. I played gen 1 when I was a kid, and didn't play Pokemon again until XY after my friend mentioned it (tbh I had entirely stopped following Pokemon and didn't even know there was a new game). I bought ORAS because XY made me like Pokemon again, I had never played RSE, and also partly because I wanted more value out of my 3DS. Bought SM because new generation, and USUM because, idk, Pokemon. But PLG really is meh to me in terms of everything. Not a new generation, no new Pokemon, no features I can come up with, really it's just gen 1 updated with select features from gens 2 to 7.
How is riding Pokemon a gimick?

How is riding Pokemon a gimick?
So to me at least, riding Pokemon in SM/USUM was a feature as it allowed you to use moves that were previously HMs by summoning Pokemon on your Ride Pager, thus saving the player valuable move slots that could now be occupied by useful moves. Stuff like Taurus rather than Rock Smash, Lapras instead of Surf, Machamp in place of Strength etc. In PLG, your partner, whether it be Pikachu or Eevee, can already do all of those things, thus making riding Pokemon a gimmick. Something that looks good initially to appeal to the audience but has no real intrinsic value. Kind of like Rotom Dex in gen 7.

I'm one of the few who digs on the catching mechanic.

Bare in mind, I'll likely love it *for this game*. I don't think I'd enjoy that to be a thing in actual main series game.

I'd also really wish the pokemon visible in grass would stay for next generations though. Would at least make so you don't have to just spam the repel button and you can actually know when a rare mon spawns or not instead of having to wander aimlessly.

You see, this is the issue I have with PLGO.

What you say makes perfect sense, and it's a valid reason to want to play PLGO (possibly in some way the same reason for which I'm buying it, relax and have fun with Pokemon).

But the general feeling is that this kind of game should not be payed 60 bucks. I have significant doubts that an entire run of PLGO for someone who isn't an actual kid will take more than a handful hours, let alone 20-30 hours to justify a full AAA price.
Price-wise I fully agree. We have yet to see how many hours we're actually going to get out of the game though.

Last edited:
Wild Pokemon in the overworld, the catching Legendary Pokemon mechanic, and particularly the quality-of-life features.

Also the fact that I find Yellow to be clearly the weakest entry in the entire series so it could be its chance of redemption to my eyes.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
But the general feeling is that this kind of game should not be payed 60 bucks.
You know, that actually has me thinking. We probably give a lot of core series Pokemon games slack because they're not "full price" $60 console games. GF has had it pretty easy compared to other game developers who make console games where people expect to get their money's worth if they're going to spend $60. Yet for some reason when it's 20 dollars lesser and is on a handheld, despite that handheld being more powerful than consoles in the past whom games were $60, a lot of people are willing to overlook the flaws of the game.

But now GF isn't going to have that safety net anymore. Nintendo fused their handheld into their console and now gotta bring the core series to the console. They're added that dreaded $20 dollars onto the price tag making any future Pokemon games "full price" $60. Thinking back, if their previous three core series games (XY, SM, & USUM) were $60 they would be harpooned by the masses for not having the expected content of a $60 (especially USUM). For Gen VIII GF is REALLY going to have to bring not their A game but triple A game because that's what full price p(l)ayers are going to expect.

Naive people still thinking copies get leaked... :P
I'll admit we were wrong about Meltan, but the game's release date of November 16th. Now, no doubt many retailers have their initial stock of the games waiting for the release date, so the likely scenarios here is that either a single store started selling the game early or some people had "connections" or are retailer staff who were able to get their copy early. Not a "grand" leak like someone snuck into GF's offices and snatched a copy of the game off Masuda's desk, but I still say a leak nonetheless; at least probably be considered as such by GF, Pokemon Company, and Nintendo. If anything it's the typically expected leak, nothing surprising about it but still that does mean spoilers about it will be floating on the internet and if you don't want to be spoiled you may want to ignore a few places that are loose lip when it comes to spoilers.

What new features of the game are those of you who are getting the game most looking forward to?
Sorry to sound snobbish, but what new features are there? The Master Trainers? The GO Park? It's almost a 1:1 Yellow version remake, they didn't want to add any major new features.

Not that I don't see groups of players who will get enjoyment from this: kids who never played Gen I or any Pokemon games, people who are nostalgic for Gen I, and people who play Pokemon GO. But outside of that, those who played a Pokemon game before, especially one of the recent games, I can't help but feel will be left underwhelmed going off what they've shown so far. This game feels like a novelty which would normally be aimed at a niche market that has been pushed to being a full-fledge title.

How is riding Pokemon a gimmick?
Wouldn't even call the Riding Pokemon in Gen VII a feature but a tool.

To me, a feature is something you're going to spend considerable amount of time on. Battling is a feature (which also involves team building). Grooming your partner and customizing yourself and it is a feature. The Master Trainers are a feature as you'll be going around looking for them and preparing a Pokemon to battle them. And in previous games we've had Contests, Entralink, Musicals, PokeStar Studios, Join Avenue, Festival Plaza, Poke Pelago, Mantine Surf & Ultra Warp Ride if you want some out of the ordinary examples of features. There's also the Battle Facilities (Tower, Frontier, Subway, Maison, Tree, Agency)... which is something I don't think Let's Go had mentioned having (FRLG sort of had one via the Trainer Tower, but it was in the Sevii Islands and it doesn't look like those are in).

The Riding Pokemon in Let's Go is a gimmick, it's a bonus thing that happens when you just so happen to have a big following Pokemon. They don't do anything extra, at best they're just a faster way of travelling, but the game doesn't treat it as anything else more than that. Similarly the Riding Pokemon in Gen VII are also a gimmick, ones leaning more on the tool side. Why they do bring attention to it and you can't progress through the game without it, it's main purpose is to clear obstacles or move faster. At most Festival Plaza use them in some mini-games but that's Festival Plaza.

I'm one of the few who digs on the catching mechanic.

I'd also really wish the pokemon visible in grass would stay for next generations though. Would at least make so you don't have to just spam the repel button and you can actually know when a rare mon spawns or not instead of having to wander aimlessly.
I don't know whether I would count that as a feature, that's right there on the line for me. Though that could be because originally I counted catching in the same category as "battling". However Let's Go brings in the GO catching mechanic which I would call a feature in GO because there's really no time for a full-fledge battle while you're walking. But when you're sitting down and strictly focusing on playing a game? That feels like tedious grinding, moreso than in the main series as at least grinding there you just need to knock out the Pokemon. Actually, that got me thinking: have they limited "grinding" in this game? You can't battle wild Pokemon normally, to get experience you need to catch them, but what if you have spent all your Poke Balls and got no more money? What if you decide to use a new Pokemon thus having to train it at the level you caught it which could be severely below your other Pokemon, could you get to a point where that's no longer possible and would just be wiser to stick with the team you established?

Well, getting away from that, I agree with you that wouldn't want the catching mechanic to carry over but definitely would like that seeing wild Pokemon the field mechanic brought over. I can think of plenty of circumstances where that would make the game playing experience much more easier and maybe even fun: finding the Pokemon you need to fill your Dex, looking out for a certain Pokemon to grind against, and if you're lucky seeing a rare/shiny Pokemon.

(...) the catching Legendary Pokemon mechanic (...)
In general I wouldn't mind if you're given a one or two chances of trying to catch a Pokemon you knocked out before they come back to consciousness and run away. That way if the Pokemon you want is knocked out you're not completely out of luck, just only got a smaller chance of catching it.

I'll admit we were wrong about Meltan, but the game's release date of November 16th. Now, no doubt many retailers have their initial stock of the games waiting for the release date, so the likely scenarios here is that either a single store started selling the game early or some people had "connections" or are retailer staff who were able to get their copy early. Not a "grand" leak like someone snuck into GF's offices and snatched a copy of the game off Masuda's desk, but I still say a leak nonetheless; at least probably be considered as such by GF, Pokemon Company, and Nintendo. If anything it's the typically expected leak, nothing surprising about it but still that does mean spoilers about it will be floating on the internet and if you don't want to be spoiled you may want to ignore a few places that are loose lip when it comes to spoilers.
You know my theory on this subject: there's no such thing as leaks, the company (not strictly applied to Nintendo) intentionally give copies to third people to pretend they "leaked" them and create completely free advertisement and hype.
Though that should probably go into Unpopular opinions and not here :D

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
You know my theory on this subject: there's no such thing as leaks, the company (not strictly applied to Nintendo) intentionally give copies to third people to pretend they "leaked" them and create completely free advertisement and hype.
Though that should probably go into Unpopular opinions and not here :D
Eh, only if the game has something interesting in it that they didn't reveal, and unless they really wanted to surprise players I think they through all their hard hitters out with that last trailer.

Though at this point, if there was a secret surprise, how big would it have to be to get people to do a 180? I want no less than the Sevii Islands with the Orange League appearing at the end having formed a new Battle Frontier that replaces the Trainer Tower.

Eh, only if the game has something interesting in it that they didn't reveal, and unless they really wanted to surprise players I think they through all their hard hitters out with that last trailer.

Though at this point, if there was a secret surprise, how big would it have to be to get people to do a 180? I want no less than the Sevii Islands with the Orange League appearing at the end having formed a new Battle Frontier that replaces the Trainer Tower.
What did Sevii islands actually have? Never finished FRLG

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
What did Sevii islands actually have? Never finished FRLG
A lot of stuff. Probably the easiest way to say what it has without going island by island is that if has every quality-of-life feature which Ruby & Sapphire had but the original Gen I games didn't. Instead of finding locations to put them around Kanto, they put a lot of them in the Sevii Islands among other things to make the islands interesting.

A lot of stuff. Probably the easiest way to say what it has without going island by island is that if has every quality-of-life feature which Ruby & Sapphire had but the original Gen I games didn't. Instead of finding locations to put them around Kanto, they put a lot of them in the Sevii Islands among other things to make the islands interesting.
Would be cool if they were in Lets GO, but I personally wouldnt really insinst on them

Turns out the "leaks" that were posted yesterday were all just existing photos/footage in the end. There were a lot that were straight up screens from trailers, but the two new ones (save screen/black outfit) were recent, edited from a Spanish youtuber and originally tweeted by some French streamer respectively. Review copies I guess.

1541807150270.png

1541807297257.png

On a different note the Japanese site updated with some links/images about the Poke Ball Plus.

https://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/pika_vee/pokemongo/181109_01.html
https://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/pika_vee/howtoplay/181109_00.html

There are a lot of miscellaneous screenshots including the options (now accessed by pressing Y on the menu) and Mystery Gift menu here.

1541807775985.png
1541807784189.png

1541807849603.png

1541807864978.png

1541807878848.png

As a sidenote the site says that you can get Mystery Gifts/Mew after delivering Oak's Parcel, estimating a playtime of about an hour.

Also this help page shows more of Mystery Gift and how to use it. For the serial code method they have the birthday Chansey as the example, and for an Internet distribution they put a Magnemite in to show it off.

Last edited:
Sorry to sound snobbish, but what new features are there? The Master Trainers? The GO Park? It's almost a 1:1 Yellow version remake, they didn't want to add any major new features.
And that was really what I was trying to get at. There aren't any notable features in these games, which is a real let down. It really is more of a game update with a serious lack of effort.

Not that I don't see groups of players who will get enjoyment from this: kids who never played Gen I or any Pokemon games, people who are nostalgic for Gen I, and people who play Pokemon GO. But outside of that, those who played a Pokemon game before, especially one of the recent games, I can't help but feel will be left underwhelmed going off what they've shown so far. This game feels like a novelty which would normally be aimed at a niche market that has been pushed to being a full-fledge title.
Speaking of the intended audience, this got me pretty confused. Almost every fan that have been following the franchise didn't like the decision of Kanto Pokémon only. I know "make it feel more like the original Yellow" but you didn't do that with FRLG, or heck, any other remake! Even the GO audience, at the time this game was announced, GO already had Gen 3 Pokémon in the game.

So by discarding options, I think this decision was to attract the "Genwunners" (yes people, they still exist), the kind of people that constantly say: OMG THESE NEW POKEMON SUCK NINTENDO DO A GAME WITH ONLY THE ORIGINAL 150 REEEEEEEEEEEEE. But even still! Why introducing things they mostly despise, like Mega Evolution, Alolan Forms and a new object-based Pokémon? This makes no sense! Just who is the target of this 60$ game?

And that was really what I was trying to get at. There aren't any notable features in these games, which is a real let down. It really is more of a game update with a serious lack of effort.
Not like we didnt get an update with no effort a couple of times, am I right?

Speaking of the intended audience, this got me pretty confused. Almost every fan that have been following the franchise didn't like the decision of Kanto Pokémon only. I know "make it feel more like the original Yellow" but you didn't do that with FRLG, or heck, any other remake! Even the GO audience, at the time this game was announced, GO already had Gen 3 Pokémon in the game.

So by discarding options, I think this decision was to attract the "Genwunners" (yes people, they still exist), the kind of people that constantly say: OMG THESE NEW POKEMON SUCK NINTENDO DO A GAME WITH ONLY THE ORIGINAL 150 REEEEEEEEEEEEE. But even still! Why introducing things they mostly despise, like Mega Evolution, Alolan Forms and a new object-based Pokémon? This makes no sense! Just who is the target of this 60$ game?
But... Charizard is AN ACTUAL DRAGON. Why would a genwunner despise that?

This game is pretty much the first generation of Pokemon, except somewhat retweaked. I think that if somebody has only played first generation Pokemon or only watched first generation Pokemon anime, they should be fine with mega formes - they are still looking similar to the original formes, and it's not that you have to use them.

This Meltan thing is a bit weird, I agree, but it is a mythical Pokemon, so you have to know about it to begin with, you won't encounter it during the normal gameplay. I believe the entire Meltan thing is to convince people to purchase the game that wouldn't otherwise do due to having no new content (hey, gotta catch 'em all).

Last edited:
Those are good reasons to enjoy the games, but there are also some very glaring factors as well:

1. Money: Like Worldie said, the games aren't really worth $60. Everything seems to be super easy in Let's Go and shortened. Generally speaking, when we get a full priced game, we expect it to be as difficult, content-ful, and thrilling as other games, namely Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, and Smash Ultimate. From what I've seen so far, Let's Go doesn't have any content on that level. And let's no forget the scam of the 50$ Pokeball Plus.

2. Competition: Slightly related, The bar for a " good " game on the Switch has already been set very high. Breath of the Wild and Odyssey have recieved critical acclaim for their games thanks to things like voice acting, open world exploration, incredible details to worlds, several meaningful sidequests, non-linear story etc. Does Let's Go have any of these features? And those aren't the only games. Splatoon 2, Arms, Final Fantasy have came or are coming to Switch and these are just as good as BoTW and Odyssey. And there's Smash Ultimate, which really concerns me because Let's Go is released only a month before that game, and oh boy, will it give some stiff competition for the holiday season. Fluke you mentioned the graphics being awesome, but while an improvement, they just feel like the graphics from XY- just in HD. They could have at least stuck to the SM models, but they decided to use Chibi for the sake of younger kids- really compromises what they could have done. Pokemon really seems to be relying on its brand name for Let's Go to suceed. The one thing I will praise it for is it that the protagonists actually show more emotion than the 3DS games.

3. Audience: Judging from the interviews, Let's Go is primarily for kids, according to Masuda. But its also for Go fans. And its also for casual players! As well as VGC/Hardcore players! Its for everyone! No it really isn't.... If its meant for 5-10 years, it doesn't have to be locked to Kanto as well as the first 151 Pokemon. And if its meant for VGC players the game doesn't have to be made any easier. GF's justification on why Yellow was remade doesn't make any sense on so many levels: Yellow isn't relatable to 10 years olds because they didn't exist back then, and if they really wanted to put Team Rocket, they could just do another RR episode. Also if another reason is to bring Go players to the Main franchise, they don't have to lock it behind Gen 1 - Go players are looking forward future not the past. Masuda must also think the Go players are clueless despite there being a huge wiki and mechanics for Go players and having articles on IVs and how to level up. As for hardcore players, they must think that Gen 1 holds a special place in every players heart to the point they would love to seen Gen 1 pandering. Well if anything, fans are tired of it being present in every game in some kind. And Let's Go is just Icing on the cake. Would it be really hard to program an icy rock in Seafoam Islands or have a Golbat evolve via friendship? After all the models and animations were from XY and SM with only minor changes to texture and rigging. I started from Diamond and Pearl- if you really wanted me to play this game- you could have at least put Glaceon and Leafeon.

4. Masuda Interviews: Masuda's interviews is what offically convinced me Not to buy this game. For Starters, he thinks that Mobile games are the main competition yet on the other hand, he’s developing this game for kids who don't have mobile games. That's just huge contradiction. Speaking of which, fact GF considers mobile games competition- that's really concerning since games will be dumbed down significantly. Fans wouldn't be concerned if it was a one-time thing, but remember this isn't the first time they dumbed it down for mobile games: XY cough cough. GF in general is poor when it comes to promises. Remember in they promised that USM would be a totally new adventure? LIES! It was nothing more than a slightly expanded 3rd version! On the other hand, he then mentions that the catching-more-Pokemon for candy is an actual mechanic to look forward to for veteran players. He then mentions that no new Pokemon unless players purchase this stripped . Which is a big Slap in the face. Then he stated that The series is what people prefer: If there's anything people prefer its Generations and Pok: It keeps the feeling of Pokemon, yet touches on more serious aspects. Like in the Frozen City, the people are seen in pain from Team Plasma's terrorist attack, and in The Investigation: Emma is shown to be in pain after being Essentia. In the games , Everyone was scared, but no one was serious hurt. And in the games Emma comes out not harmed and innocently asks what the player and Looker are doing here.

5. Redos in general: Redos have always not been nearly sucessful as primaries, largeley due to the how similar they are and the fact that there's not much time between them. This really burns buyers out, especially 3rd versions if they barley change any of the story. Through that logic, players should feel quite hesitant to buy new games that are just redos. What make Let's Go particularly annoying among remakes is this: Kanto has appeared 5 out of 7 generations and has just had its original games re-released on virtual console, and this iteration of Kanto hasn't had anything added to it aside from Go mechanics and some new characters like master trainers and the rival, which really drains the determination because your rival was such a jerk that you wanted to become the best to show that he was wrong all the time, especially since there's no Villanous team going after a legendary Pokemon. Ultra Moon has already burned me on how similar it is too Moon, while I don't need to waste money on a reboot of Yellow that doesn't have.

And those are the flaws with Let's Go. For those of you playing Let's Go, have a good time! I'll see you in 2019.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)