Pokémon Movepool Oddities & Explanations

Not that it matters now that it's been cut, but is there any rationale for the Pokemon that get Trump Card? Eevee, Slowking, Minun, and... Magearna.

There's not a wholly obvious link between those four. Nor what makes Slowbro and Plusle ineligible to learn the move.

Then there's the Pokemon who get it by breeding. Farfetch'd, Kangaskhan, Dunsparce, Corphish, Shellos, Oshawott. Another diverse and relatively unconnected list.

So Trump Card is a quirky sort of move, a gimmick. No other attack works on the basis of its own PP, but like a couple of other Normal moves such as Facade and Endeavour, it works best in a pinch.

Farfetch'd is (was?) a gimmicky sort of Pokemon, as are Dunsparce and Minun, so those fit the move to a degree. Corphish, Shellos, and Oshawatt are all kind of quirky. Kangaskhan learns Reversal and, like a lot of protective mothers in the wild, attacks more fiercely when it's enraged and desperate.

Anyone care to weigh in on the others?
To try to answer that, we first need to figure out what exactly Trump Card is.

Mechanically, Trump Card seems to be something of a counterpart to Last Resort. Both were introduced in Gen 4, both have names that suggest that they're ultimate techniques that get saved for late in the game when you need them most (fun fact: Last Resort in Japan is called "The Best", as in "saving the best for last"). Additionally, Last Resort is the move that Plusle learns at level 40 instead of Trump Card.

In terms of physicality, Trump Card seems to literally involve attacking with playing cards, judging by its in-game animation and depiction in the show. However, since almost none of the Pokemon seem capable of throwing cards, let alone even be associated with cards, we can assume these are magic energy cards that just get summoned. This doesn't appear to be relevant in this slightest.

This hasn't brought me any closer to figuring out why this random handful of Pokemon learns Trump Card, and just leaves me with more questions.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I know this is probably for balance reasons since this would likely break BSS based on my limited knowledge of the format, but is there a practical, in-world explanation for why Snorlax doesn't get Slack Off?
this is a very stupid explanation but I'm gonna run with it
Do you ever have those days when you're so tired that, if you stop moving for even a moment, you start to doze off outright?
Snorlax is like that all the time. It can't just "slack off" - whenever it's given a chance to relax (or... really whenever it's not eating), it just falls right to sleep, which is to say that it skips straight from "active" to Rest, while Slack Off is an in-between that it can't achieve.
Recycle is its next-most-reliable form of recovery because that means it gets to be eating the whole time.
It's not a stupid explanation at all. Snorlax's very first PokéDex entry in Red/Blue: "Very lazy. Just eats and sleeps. As its rotund bulk builds, it becomes steadily more slothful. " Since it quite literally only eats or sleeps, it never actually relaxes. Its entire waking life is spent eating which uses up energy and doesn't quite constitute relaxing, and for the rest of its life it's unconscious. It's impossible it could slack off.

If its meant to be playing cards Magearna could get it as a card trick, i guess? You'd think it would get Trick too but
Alternatively it's a weird play on its goal. It was meant as a pretty gift for a princess but it's also buitl for battle. Robo Maid as your secret weapon would kind of go with the idea of a Trump Card?

I always knew this move was a little weird but I had no idea it was so limited in its distribution and so eclectic. The description of the move doesnt' acknowledge anything other than its effect.

To try to answer that, we first need to figure out what exactly Trump Card is.

Mechanically, Trump Card seems to be something of a counterpart to Last Resort. Both were introduced in Gen 4, both have names that suggest that they're ultimate techniques that get saved for late in the game when you need them most (fun fact: Last Resort in Japan is called "The Best", as in "saving the best for last"). Additionally, Last Resort is the move that Plusle learns at level 40 instead of Trump Card.

In terms of physicality, Trump Card seems to literally involve attacking with playing cards, judging by its in-game animation and depiction in the show. However, since almost none of the Pokemon seem capable of throwing cards, let alone even be associated with cards, we can assume these are magic energy cards that just get summoned. This doesn't appear to be relevant in this slightest.

This hasn't brought me any closer to figuring out why this random handful of Pokemon learns Trump Card, and just leaves me with more questions.
That's a good explanation though.

For some reason if I didn't have an official source I'd have guessed that Mr Mime got it. Idk why.

It's not a stupid explanation at all. Snorlax's very first PokéDex entry in Red/Blue: "Very lazy. Just eats and sleeps. As its rotund bulk builds, it becomes steadily more slothful. " Since it quite literally only eats or sleeps, it never actually relaxes. Its entire waking life is spent eating which uses up energy and doesn't quite constitute relaxing, and for the rest of its life it's unconscious. It's impossible it could slack off.
I liked this line of logic until I remembered that the initial learners of Slack Off, the Slakoth line, are based on some of the absolute slowest animals in existence, and who as Pokémon literally do nothing every other turn (Vigoroth excepted).

Yeah, there's definitely a difference between being extremely slow moving and just being slothful but I'm not sure just how much of a difference it should make.

This may have already been mentioned, haven't read all 65 pages of the thread.

But.

Girafarig can't learn Bite.

Let's take a look at some Pokedex entries.

Stadium 2: Its tail has a small brain of its own. Beware! If you get close, it may react to your scent and bite.

Soulsilver: Its tail, which also contains a small brain, may bite on its own if it notices an alluring smell.

Diamond: Its tail also has a small brain. It bites to repel any foe trying to sneak up on it from behind.

Omega Ruby: Girafarig's rear head also has a brain, but it is small. The rear head attacks in response to smells and sounds. Approaching this Pokémon from behind can cause the rear head to suddenly lash out and bite.

Girafarig can't learn Bite. It can learn Crunch. But... Girafarig can't learn Bite.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Not that it matters now that it's been cut, but is there any rationale for the Pokemon that get Trump Card?
*Pushes up sleeve & cracks knuckles*

Sorry to make you wait for a week, but now I have time to BS some reasons why all 10 Pokemon that learn Trump Card get it. BTW, I'm ignoring the "playing card" animation as that's just a literal visual representation of the idea behind the move. Instead I'm going for more symbolism with the definition of what a "Trump Card" is ("a valuable resource that may be used, especially as a surprise, in order to gain an advantage"):
  • Eevee: It should be noted Eevee gets it but not its evolutions, therefore this explanation is specific to Eevee. Also should be noted Eevee learns Trump Card at a high level, usually higher than anyone lets it get to before evolving it. In addition, also remember Eevee can't learn that many elemental moves like other Normal-types can because of its evolution gimmick. Trump Card in a way represents the Eevee which doesn't evolve to finding ways to shows its worth. At the beginning Eevee isn't all that impressive, a basic stage Pokemon with matching stats that can't learn many elemental moves. But as Eevee progresses it learns not only stronger Normal-type moves but also special status and/or gimmicky moves that lets it access greater power and/or utility. Just like Trump Card, Eevee is a Normal-type that the more you use it the better it becomes. Trump Card being one of the last few moves Eevee originally learned emphasized this point.
  • Slowking: Probably a representation of Slowking's increased intelligence. I don't remember whether this is a canon explaination or a fanon, but its believed the reason Slowpoke and Slowbro are seem "dim-witted" is actually because they're mind is filled with so many thoughts stemmed from the massive knowledge it knows it has rendered them desync from the world (why it takes a while for them to feel pain, the message of the pain is stuck in thought traffic). However, upon a Shellder biting onto Slowpoke's head and releasing a poison, the poison slows down Slowpoke's thinking which is what it needed to sync back up with the world and reveal its massive knowledge to everyone. By shedding away all those excess thoughts, Slowking showed its true potential much like Trump Card with its PP.
  • Minun: As noted by greentyphlosion, it should be noted Minun learns it but not Plusle. Instead, Plusle learns Last Resort which normally isn't an exact counterpart to Trump Card BUT in this case will serve that purpose. To show Minun and Plusle are two sides of the same coin, they share a similar movepool but have a few different moves to represent that Plusle is "positive" while Minun is "negative". Plusle gets Bestow (gives an ally which doesn't an an item its item), Charm (acts cute & playful so the opponent won't hit it as hard), and Last Resort (upon using all its other moves first it gains access to this very strong move). Minun meanwhile gets Switcheroo (the user tricks the target by exchanging items, possibly giving the target a bad or even no item in exchange for their useful item), Fake Tears (pretends to cry and act helpless to deceive the target in letting its guard down), and Trump Card (the less PP this move has the stronger it gets, exchanging long-time use for instant extra power). While Plusle is playing fairly by supporting teammates and showing all its got, Minun isn't afraid to play a bit dirty by hinder its opponents and using get-power-quick tricks.
  • Magearna: A more somber use, Magearna having Trump Card represents how willing it is to give everything it has even at the cost of its own wellbeing. Made to serve people, Magearna will work non-stop to make sure everyone around it is happy even though its Soul-Heart only has so much power in it before it needs to recharge. To Magearna the more it does the more happy it can make people, a Trump Card way of thinking ignoring the consequences of such a workaholic attitude.
Now those are the Pokemon that learn it via level-up so they have a more natural explanation why they get it. The next batch of Pokemon get it via breeding so their explanation is going to have a different flavor to them which directly relates to them getting the move via a predecessor:
  • Farfetch'd: Everyone by now knows the meaning behind the phrase Farfetch'd is based on. A duck with a leek, aka a fool walking to their downfall. In the original game it was a joke, you traded a Spearow that would eventually evolve into a much stronger Fearow for a Pokemon with low stats and didn't evolve. Womp womp. No way would Farfetch'd naturally get Trump Card for the same reasons Eevee would. Yet, for some reason, someone bred for a new Farfetch'd. This joke Pokemon, a Pokemon that has no battling value, someone has decided to give a chance to by breeding for a stronger one. A small glimmer of hope? Farfetch'd is still Farfetch'd, but there is someone who believes in it so even if it can't win it'll do its best to go the distance! It's a uphill battle but by the end Farfetch'd will give it all its got, and with Trump Card it can make that analogy into something more physical.
  • Kangaskhan: You're going to have to bear with me as this one involves a bit of fanon deep thinking. This goes off my theory that the Baby Kangaskhan is actually a half clone of the Mother Kangaskhan but, when Kangaskhan "lays an egg", what actually happens is the current baby in its pouch enters an egg-like cocoon state where it bonds with the father's DNA becoming a complete Kangaskhan, including creating half clones of itself (the mother quickly grows another half clone). That covered, here's why this previous half clone Kangaskhan can get Trump Card. This new "complete" Kangaskhan started life out as a half clone. It's unable to survive on its own, limited in what it can do, and unable to grow up; It might not even be fully aware or stuck in a baby/child way of thinking. But despite this rough start, it got the opportunity to enter the next phase of its life cycle and now its the one able to do things while also growing and caring of half clones of itself. It was a rough journey but now it can show what its capable of; aka it's another Eevee "triumphing from the bottom" reason.
  • Dunsparce: Um, huh. Maybe for the same reason as Farfetch'd though less obvious. Dunsparce, let's be honest, is also a bit of a joke Pokemon. Originally a SUPER rare capture, you'd think someone so hard to get would be good to use, right? Well, scarcity doesn't equal power. Another hard lesson learned and more dead weight for the box. But yet, someone decided to see if they could get a better one via breeding. A small glimmer of hope?...
  • Corphish: So the Corphish family are very territorial Pokemon. They don't like other Pokemon living in the same lake/pond/river/etc. they do or at the very least makes sure they know who's boss. Such behavior is probably also put upon any offspring, once hatched and able to survive on their own the ones not strong enough are probably forced out of their birth home to find their own water source to settle in. If a Corphish wants to not only stay where they were born but maybe even become its boss it's going to need to defeat its parent. The parent of course has the upperhand in experience and strength, so for Corphish to succeed it's going to need its own trick up its sleeve to at least overwhlem its parent for one moment. While this trick isn't necessarily Trump Card, it's the child Corphish being capable of doing such a feat that allows it to get Trump Card while the parent cannot.
  • Shellos: Pfft. The only thing I can think of is maybe the two forms of the Shellos family, East & West, are in some kind of population competition unknown to to people and probably most other Pokemon. East and West are both trying to vie to be THE Shellos family by having more of its forms dominate the region (which we've seen in Kalos only having West and Alola & Galar only having East, next gen to have Shellos will probably only have wild West ones). This would mean each form is always looking for a way to one-up the other in spreading their numbers, giving each new generation of Shellos something (a Trump Card, if you will) to make them more dominate.
  • Oshawott: What's with the sudden Water-types? At least it made partial sense why Farfetch'd, Kangaskhan, and Dunsparce got it as they at least get STAB (though with it being Special it's still kind of useless on them). But whatever, why does Oshawott get it as an Egg Move? Well we know Oshawott's are essentially training to one day become samurai sea lions. Though you'd think that would mean they'd learn Trump Card naturally. But not necessarily, the species in general seem to be adept at wielding the shell as a blade so do not need trickery to excel at it. However, that's not to say it doesn't help. Or rather, while elder masters and other veteran patrons stick to the tried and true method, each new generation to the art always has a chance of bringing in an "out-of-the-box" thinker which may add a new twist. Or, maybe in the Oshawott families case, one realizes they have higher Special Attack then physical so may surprise everyone by mixing in or solely practicing in Special attacks. If you look at the Oshawott family movepool you'll notice it has way more Physical moves than Special, so an Oshawott family member using Special moves is probably meant to be a surprise factor, a technique that needs to be built up before being as effective as it using the blade.
Girafarig can't learn Bite. It can learn Crunch. But... Girafarig can't learn Bite.
Well obviously "it" can learn Bite... but the one learning Bite isn't the head you're commanding. ;)

Shellos: Pfft. The only thing I can think of is maybe the two forms of the Shellos family, East & West, are in some kind of population competition unknown to to people and probably most other Pokemon. East and West are both trying to vie to be THE Shellos family by having more of its forms dominate the region (which we've seen in Kalos only having West and Alola & Galar only having East, next gen to have Shellos will probably only have wild West ones). This would mean each form is always looking for a way to one-up the other in spreading their numbers, giving each new generation of Shellos something (a Trump Card, if you will) to make them more dominate.
So this but with slugs?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Coast–West_Coast_hip_hop_rivalry

Celever

i am town
  • Farfetch'd: Everyone by now knows the meaning behind the phrase Farfetch'd is based on. A duck with a leek, aka a fool walking to their downfall. In the original game it was a joke, you traded a Spearow that would eventually evolve into a much stronger Fearow for a Pokemon with low stats and didn't evolve. Womp womp. No way would Farfetch'd naturally get Trump Card for the same reasons Eevee would. Yet, for some reason, someone bred for a new Farfetch'd. This joke Pokemon, a Pokemon that has no battling value, someone has decided to give a chance to by breeding for a stronger one. A small glimmer of hope? Farfetch'd is still Farfetch'd, but there is someone who believes in it so even if it can't win it'll do its best to go the distance! It's a uphill battle but by the end Farfetch'd will give it all its got, and with Trump Card it can make that analogy into something more physical.
This isn't actually what the proverb means. "A duck comes bearing leeks" means something uncommon or surprising, but fortunate. In Japan, anyway. This definition seems much more in line with Farfetch'd's design:
  • Stick, its signature held item, boosts its critical hit rate to obscene levels, and it also learns most moves that boost crit rate.
  • Farfetch'd was the only Pokémon besides Golisopod to learn First Impression in Gen VII, a move based on the element of surprise.
  • I don't think the trade in Gen I was a joke at all. In many cases, trading was supposed to signify rare Pokémon: Farfetch'd, Mr. Mime and Jynx are only able to be obtained through trading (Jynx in international RB only, RG has it at Seafoam Islands) and otherwise difficult to find Pokémon such as Lickitung and Tangela are also in-game trades. Mr. Mime was likely locked behind in-game trade because it's European, and the European localisers didn't catch it. On the other hand, Jynx being such a blatantly Japanese Pokémon likely led the localisers to make it in-game trade exclusive. Farfetch'd doesn't fit into a particular part of the world, but being an in-game trade ties into Farfetch'd's design perfectly, since it's something uncommon but fortunately you're able to obtain it because this guy is able to trade it with you.
  • This is probably why it didn't evolve for so long. When your entire existence represents good luck, evolution is unnecessary even though it was weak in battle.
So, why does Farfetch'd learn Trump Card? Because it's lucky. In gambling, a trump card is when you have a winning hand against the odds. And Farfetch'd still being alive is pretty much against the odds too, so it's a perfect move for it.

I wonder if this is perhaps part of why Shellos learns it too. On the contrary to your theory that Shellos learns the move because it's in an evolutionary arms race with its form on the other coast of the region, perhaps it learns the move because it managed to adapt to the conditions of the other coast and survive there. Clearly it couldn't just migrate to the other coast easily because it had to undergo physical adaptations in order to survive there. So living there at all is a pretty trump card, against the odds play.

Do we know which coast Shellos and Gastrodon originally lived on? That'd clear up the wording of the above paragraph a lot :P

Last edited:
don't think the trade in Gen I was a joke at all. In many cases, trading was supposed to signify rare Pokémon: Farfetch'd, Mr. Mime and Jynx are only able to be obtained through trading (Jynx in international RB only, RG has it at Seafoam Islands) and otherwise difficult to find Pokémon such as Lickitung and Tangela are also in-game trades. Mr. Mime was likely locked behind in-game trade because it's European, and the European localisers didn't catch it. On the other hand, Jynx being such a blatantly Japanese Pokémon likely led the localisers to make it in-game trade exclusive. Farfetch'd doesn't fit into a particular part of the world, but being an in-game trade ties into Farfetch'd's design perfectly, since it's something uncommon but fortunately you're able to obtain it because this guy is able to trade it with you.
Some notes here:
  • It was only the Japanese Blue that had Jynx at Seafoam Islands. RG also had it trade-exclusive. (And never appeared in Yellow. I doubt this was related to the anime considering similar mons in Electabuzz and Magmar are also missing)
  • In RG and RB, Lickitung is also trade-exclusive. Japanese Blue put it in the Safari Zone (most likely because they made Kangaskhan and Tauros trade-exclusive in that game) and Yellow locks it to post-game in Cerulean Cave.
  • Farfetch'd did get a chance to appear in the wild, appearing at Routes 12 and 13 in Yellow only. (Which actually robed it of the only real use it had in acess to Cut + Fly)

*Pushes up sleeve & cracks knuckles*

Sorry to make you wait for a week, but now I have time to BS some reasons why all 10 Pokemon that learn Trump Card get it. BTW, I'm ignoring the "playing card" animation as that's just a literal visual representation of the idea behind the move. Instead I'm going for more symbolism with the definition of what a "Trump Card" is ("a valuable resource that may be used, especially as a surprise, in order to gain an advantage"):
Oh this is really good! Excellent observations, I'm convinced on all of them.

Celever

i am town
Here's a strange one. Let's talk about Tickle (same name in Japanese).

What Pokémon would you expect to learn Tickle? Baby Pokémon like Cleffa and Mime Jr., Pokémon with ticklish appendages like Tentacool and Tangrowth, or even more generally perhaps just Pokémon with prominent hands like Aipom and Pyukumuku. Well, all of these Pokémon do indeed learn the move, but so do some really weird others.

Loads of Water-Type Pokémon learn the move despite having nothing ticklish on them at all, and their appendages being claws/fins/blubber/other not ticklish things. All I can think of is that non-damaging bubbles are used, but if that's the case then every Water-Type Pokémon should learn it, or at least every one that learns Bubble(beam), which many of the Tickle using Water-Type Pokémon don't. Specifically: Krabby, Lapras, Lotad, Finneon, Wailmer, Alomomola, Binacle, and Feebas. Notably, Tickle is a level 1 move for a couple of evolutions like Whiscash who can Tickle while their pre-evolutions can't, so Lotad and Feebas aren't excused by their evolutions being able to Tickle with their hands or antennae. I don't see how any of these Pokémon could Tickle their opponent enough to make them laugh, or without accidentally impaling or scratching them.

Togedemaru is enclosed in a body of barbed metal. I don't think that's suited to tickling anything. Perhaps it tickles with weak electric shocks, but then every Electric-Type Pokémon should learn the move too.

A few Grass-Type Pokémon can learn it. While it arguably is fine for all of them in their base forms because they have leaves that they can use to tickle, many of them evolve into Pokémon without such features. Oddish, Bellsprout, Turtwig, Cherubi, and Cottonee could theoretically be successful at tickling, but it doesn't seem like a smart strategy for any of them. Cherubi, Oddish, and Turtwig's leaves are on top of their heads, so in order to tickle the opponent they'd have to look down away from them, and once they evolve they have no means of using Tickle at all. Or, Torterra technically does, but it'd involve flipping onto its back to try and rustle the opponent in its tree, and that'd turn out more like Wood Hammer. Bellsprout has a vine connection so it's fine, but other Pokémon associated with vines should also learn the move in that case. The same goes for Cottonee, who could use its cotton to tickle the opponent... but it's the only cotton-based Pokémon to learn the move for some reason.

The move just seems to be distributed strangely selectively, but also without good justification. Only 46 evolutionary families learn it, and it's been used by a good few of these in the anime, but not by any of the Pokémon I mentioned. I think the animators couldn't figure out how these Pokémon would tickle anything either.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
What Pokémon would you expect to learn Tickle? Baby Pokémon like Cleffa and Mime Jr., Pokémon with ticklish appendages like Tentacool and Tangrowth, or even more generally perhaps just Pokémon with prominent hands like Aipom and Pyukumuku. Well, all of these Pokémon do indeed learn the move, but so do some really weird others.
Well let's see:
  • Kind of disturbing Nihilego naturally learns it. Like, I can see how it would, but the only reason I think it would was so it could then take control of its new host while they're laughing uncontrollably.
  • Krabby would certainly have to be careful.
  • No clue how Lapras would do it. It's horn?
  • Lotad would be awkward.
  • Wailmer I think would be more likely to squish you before tickling you.
  • Feebas a fish with withered fins. Like Finneon and Alomomola are also fish but I can see them tickling with their long fins. Not sure Feebas can do that, maybe with its top fin?
  • Heatmor doesn't seem like a tickler, especially since its main prey are Steel-types, but if you say so GF.
Cherubi, Oddish, and Turtwig's leaves are on top of their heads, so in order to tickle the opponent they'd have to look down away from them, and once they evolve they have no means of using Tickle at all.
Oh, right, didn't think how this might affect the evolutions. One more round:
  • Well for Lotad it would actually be easier for it to tickle with it growing hands.
  • Don't think Wailord would have any easier of a time tickling than Wailmer.
  • Would also become easier for Feebas.
  • You're right for Turtwig is would lose its easy out for tickling, the twig on its head. Torterra I guess can tickle with its side horns, but Grotle's don't look developed enough to efficiently do that and doubt it can move the bushes on its back much.

Pokemon I'm surprised doesn't get it:
  • Ralts and Lopunny family. Yes, yes, let's get the jokes out now. Though seriously, at least their basic stage would look like they would be playful enough to tickle their opponent.
  • Illumise
  • Spinda
  • Pancham
  • Impidimp
  • Jigglypuff family, not even Igglybuff through breeding like Cleffa & Pichu does.
  • Same with Chansey family.
  • Plusle
  • Minun
  • Audino
  • Hoppip family
  • Togepi family
  • Phione
  • Dedenne
  • Sentret family
  • Teddiursa family
  • Glameow family
  • Purrloin family
  • Emolga
  • Nickit
  • Farfetch'd

Some conjecture about Tickle:

Heatmor has an anteater's long tongue and rather pointy hands, I can easily see it tickling a foe with either of those.

Lotad has those little stubby legs which I'm sure would be ticklish if they were brushing all over you. If Cleffa can tickle you with its stubby little arms, so can Lotad.

Had a thought about the Pokemon with spiky or sharp body features that can learn Tickle - the original text for the move is: Makes the foe laugh to lower Attack and Defense. Note that it doesn't specify how. Other moves specify that the user uses a specific body part or weapon to perform a move. Yes, the move is called Tickle but that needn't be literal - if we say someone is "tickled" by a joke or idea, it often just refers to how they feel.

This got me thinking about synonyms, like "needling". Again, this is a concept that isn't literal - if I'm needling you, I'm not literally stabbing you with a needle. Needling someone is often perceived as negative, but it can be mildly humorous. Similarly, tickling is often uncomfortable. Based off that, I don't see why Krabby jabbing with its pincers mightn't tickle someone (I'm not an anime expert but I'm sure it does this at some point?) The same goes for Binacle, Lapras, and Togedemaru.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Heatmor has an anteater's long tongue and rather pointy hands, I can easily see it tickling a foe with either of those.
Um, I don't think Heatmor is tickling anyone with its tongue.

White, X, OR: Using their very hot, flame-covered tongues, they burn through Durant's steel bodies and consume their insides.

B2W2, Y, AS: It draws in air through its tail, transforms it into fire, and uses it like a tongue. It melts Durant and eats them.

Shield: A flame serves as its tongue, melting through the hard shell of Durant so that Heatmor can devour their insides.
Unless by "tickling" you mean the sensation of the person skin melting off. I guess mixed in between the agony and loss of sense there's probably a "tickling" if not a "tingling" feeling.

Okay moving swiftly on from Tickle:

One of my favourite moves (and sadly one removed in Gen VIII) has some rather arbitrary distribution: Nightmare.

So the Pokemon that get this by level-up are the ones you'd expect: Gastly/Haunter/Gengar, Hypno, Darkrai, and Munna. All Pokemon associated with sleep and dreams. Spiritomb, Yamask, and Mimikyu get it by breeding and it's pretty fitting for all of them. Always thought it seems more like it should be a Psychic move than a Ghost move, but that's by-the-by.

But when you look at who gets it by TM and move tutor, it's really weird.

Wigglytuff? Persian? Lickitung? Porygon? Aipom? Roselia? Swalot? Ho-oh?

There are some that feel natural: Butterfree kind of makes sense because it's associated with sleep and Psychic moves; Masquerain is a scary Pokemon, so a sleeping Pokemon would definitely suffer bad dreams when faced with it. And various Dark, Ghost, and Psychic Pokemon with vaguely creepy powers. But the ones I named... I'm not seeing a clear link.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)