Pokémon Movepool Oddities & Explanations

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
How does a Pokemon heal with Soft-Boiled? ("Egg Lay" in Japanese) Do they eat the egg they just laid, and if so how can they restore health by doing it?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I REALLY don't like the sound of that. Imagine getting CRUSHED and you liking it. That is very nonsensical to imagine.
Well, that's why its an attacking move. Just because the user is playing rough doesn't meant the recipient wants to, hence they get hurt.

Copperajah learns Play Rough by leveling up.

Can you imagine frolicking with a mon that weighs 650 kg? That doesn't sound pleasant to me.

How does a Pokemon heal with Soft-Boiled? ("Egg Lay" in Japanese) Do they eat the egg they just laid, and if so how can they restore health by doing it?
Chansey Dex Entries:
Yellow: A gentle and kind-hearted Pokémon that shares its nutritious eggs if it sees an injured Pokémon.
Emerald/ORAS: Chansey lay nutritionally excellent eggs every day. The eggs are so delicious, they are eagerly devoured by even those people who have lost their appetite.
Diamond/X: It is said to deliver happiness. Being compassionate, it shares its eggs with injured people.
Platinum/Gen V: A kindly Pokémon that lays highly nutritious eggs and shares them with injured Pokémon or people.
Sword: The egg Chansey carries is not only delicious but also packed with nutrition. It's used as a high-class cooking ingredient.

Of course in recent times GF either added or revealed a dark side to this:

Ultra Sun: It seems that other Pokémon's efforts to take its delicious, nutritious egg away from it caused Chansey to get faster at fleeing.
Ultra Moon: Because the eggs on their bellies have been overharvested by people in the past, the Chansey population remains very small.
Shield: This species was once very slow. To protect their eggs from other creatures, these Pokémon became able to flee quickly.
Blissey's Dex Entries:
Crystal: Biting into one of the delicious eggs that Blissey provides will make everyone around smile with joy.
Emerald: If it senses sadness with its fluffy fur, a Blissey will rush over to the sad person, however far away, to share an egg of happiness that brings a smile to any face.
Platinum/Gen V/X: The eggs it lays are filled with happiness. Eating even one bite will bring a smile to anyone.
Sun: Even the most ferocious Pokémon become calm when they eat Blissey's egg, which is said to be filled with happiness.
Sword: Whenever a Blissey finds a weakened Pokémon, it will share its egg and offer its care until the other Pokémon is all better.

No dark dex entries here, though Ultra Sun mentions its eggs fetch the highest prices on the market, which is kind of a jerk thing to do.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
To throw my two cents regarding this, I believe chickens are able to lay unfertilized eggs pretty much whenever they want (or when us humans need them), so I’d imagine Chansey and Blissey do the same.
From what I read, hens lay eggs because their instincts make them want to have a clutch of eggs (an apparent number only the hen knows but seems to be between 8 & 20), after so they stop laying eggs and enter a "brooding trance" (aka wanting to sit on them to have them hatch) for as long as it takes for it to feel the eggs start hatching (which takes a couple of weeks). And yes, they'll even do this with unfertilized eggs, heck, they'll actually do this for any vaguely egg-shaped object like golf balls and light bulbs. Now apparently unfertilized eggs will "explode" and release a bad odor after about 20 days which lets the hen know the clutch are a dud and to try again. Also apparently during the "brooding trance" they'll stop caring for themselves and only get up to drink water once a day; there's a likelihood the hen will die if she hadn't prepared accordingly before brooding (when collecting a clutch they fatten themselves up preparing for the several week sit).

Now, it's mentioned in Happiny's Dex entries it does indeed have the instinct to carry eggs. Since Happiny can't lay eggs it goes out seeking small white stones it can use as a surrogate. When they started added new dex entries in Gen VI they went into further details that it'll cry if the stone is taken away or not returned:
  • Diamond: It loves round white things. It carries an egg-shaped rock in imitation of Chansey.
  • Pearl/X/OR: It carries a round, egg-shaped rock in its belly pouch and gives the rock to its friends.
  • HGSS/Y/AS: It carefully carries a round, white rock that it thinks is an egg. It's bothered by how curly its hair looks.
  • Moon: It's too small to lay eggs yet. As a surrogate, it searches out round white stones.
  • US: Usually it's a well-behaved Pokémon, but if you take its round rock away, it will cry and fuss and throw a big old tantrum.
  • UM: When it sees something round and white, Happiny puts it into the pouch on its stomach. It sometimes becomes overloaded and can't move.
  • Sword: Mimicking Chansey, Happiny will place an egg-shaped stone in its belly pouch. Happiny will treasure this stone.
  • Shield: Happiny's willing to lend its precious round stone to those it's friendly with, but if the stone isn't returned, Happiny will cry and throw a tantrum.
It's also gotten Beat Up as an Egg Move since gen 2!
Well it's a Gen I Pokemon so by then had plenty of fans. Heck, Lance and Red both use a Charizard!

Now, to be fair, how many of us outright hunted Chansey for their sweet, sweet Lucky Eggs back in the XY/USUM days?
No wonder the population is low...
Pfft, forget the eggs, how many of us hunted them just to knock them out for experience? When Audino was introduced Chansey breathed a sigh of relief now that there was another pink punching bag it can tap out with. Though oddly, Indeedee, their Galarian counterparts, have a rather average experience yield and several Pokemon you can find in the same location as them (Glimwood Tangle) have either around and in some cases a higher experience yield (not to mention Indeedee is a 5% encounter rate...). Kind of feels like with Indeedee they missed one of the points of a Chansey expy, it's more than just a Pokemon they can use in the anime to be a sidekick to Nurse Joy.

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.
When Audino was introduced Chansey breathed a sigh of relief now that there was another pink punching bag it can tap out with.
I see them every night when I close my eyes. Dozens of Audino, hundreds maybe, all lined up in a row to be executed, just so my Emboar can gain another level. God have mercy on my soul, and on the soul of the developer who decided to make experience gain decrease as level difference increases in gen 5, for they are the one who forced my hand.

Only time I grinded Chanseys (& Blisseys) is Alola's post game because they were the best way to grind bar none. And even then I kind of just had to deal with SOS grinding and jsut beating up randos around poni plains because chansey weren't reliable spawns.

Meanwhile, the other games

RBY they were post game and I just...didn't have any reason to grind in thsoe games in the post game since the cave itself was jsut full of Pokemon and there was nothing else other than the cave. and RBY had all those glitches...and Mewtwo itself better for exp share grinding
FRLG removed them from the cave.
GSC they were rare encounters on one route in the post game and considering the levels they're found at I'm nots ure they're even good for that....my method of grinding in that game was jsut rerunning the E4 a billion times.
Same goes for HGSS's Chansey, though the better grinding was just rematches with other trainers/gym leaders
RSE not there unless you really rig up a Secret Base which takes a _lot_ of set up and copies of other games.
ORAS only present with Secret Bases though those are limited and take some set up.
DPPt it was better to use higher leveled wild pokemon or just the VS seeker.
Not in BW1 or 2 though there was a trainer with one but like...good luck with that. You get a lucky egg for free so who cares, there's better avenues. I killed significantly more Audinos than I ever have chanseys because they showed up on every route as the "common" encounter for shaking grass.
XY the friend safari so that' out. Again, though, lucky egg combined with VERY high leveled late game Pokemon.
SWSH stop stop im dying from laughter

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
SWSH stop stop im dying from laughter
To be fair, in the Isle of Armor there was one time I grinded on Chanseys in the Isle of Armor for one reason.

I used them to train Kubfu to Level 70 for the towers once when I did Isle of Armor's campaign in the post-game, since getting Kubfu there otherwise is a long and tedious road if you opt to do it after the Champion Cup.

To be fair, in the Isle of Armor there was one time I grinded on Chanseys in the Isle of Armor for one reason.

I used them to train Kubfu to Level 70 for the towers once when I did Isle of Armor's campaign in the post-game, since getting Kubfu there otherwise is a long and tedious road if you opt to do it after the Champion Cup.
I just used a bunch of the exp candies then went to a high level area and just ran around for a few levels

between exp scaling, exp candies, the exp share, the exp charm, the other exp bonuses on top of that....

Given that they're pretty much always rare, and given their association with the Lucky Egg and the Lucky Punch, and given they're literally named after "chance", I'm pretty sure Chansey isn't meant to be use for experience grinding. It's more of a moment of good fortune, like "lucky you, here's a big boost of experience on the house!" Think the Amazy Dayzee from Paper Mario, minus the part where it can also kick your ass or run away if you don't put it to sleep. That's the roaming legendary's job.

Given that they're pretty much always rare, and given their association with the Lucky Egg and the Lucky Punch, and given they're literally named after "chance", I'm pretty sure Chansey isn't meant to be use for experience grinding. It's more of a moment of good fortune, like "lucky you, here's a big boost of experience on the house!" Think the Amazy Dayzee from Paper Mario, minus the part where it can also kick your ass or run away if you don't put it to sleep. That's the roaming legendary's job.
It wouldn't surprise me if it was designed (in gameplay terms, in battle terms it was almsot certainly always meant to just be a HP sponge) to be something like the metal slime: a rare encounter that gives a lot of experience but quick to flee. Probably why it's kind of strangely in the Cerulean cave at all. It's a post game high level dungeon with a high exp pay out but rare pokemon (5% is the lowest in the dungeon, albeit shared with a few other randos).
But gen 1 didn't have a thing for fleeing in normal encounters so they just split the difference and made it obscenely rare in the Safari Zone (where it could flee) and also a high exp rare encounter in Cerulean Cave.

Though...surprisignly, Chansey can't flee in gen 2. Suppose the flee mechanic was a bit underbaked to begin with

I mean, Chansey's original Japanese name is "Lucky", as in the English word. And Lucky Punch uses the English word, too, as in Chansey's name, which is why only it can use it(Lucky Egg uses the Japanese word for Lucky instead)

Though...surprisignly, Chansey can't flee in gen 2. Suppose the flee mechanic was a bit underbaked to begin with
Thank fucking god for that, though. Teleport/roar is already infuriating, having pokemon that just straight up flee would be awful.

Those actually existed, though it was only on a handful of pokemon (and like a quarter of them, like the legendary birds, weren't even available in the wild), which some how did not include Chansey even though it would make sense for it.
Thank fucking god for that, though. Teleport/roar is already infuriating, having pokemon that just straight up flee would be awful.
The Fast Ball was intended to have a higher catch rate for all Pokémon capable of fleeing from battle (list here), but it (along with multiple other of the Apricorn balls) was either bugged or improperly programmed, so it only helped against Tangela, Magnemite, and Grimer.

The Fast Ball was intended to have a higher catch rate for all Pokémon capable of fleeing from battle (list here), but it (along with multiple other of the Apricorn balls) was either bugged or improperly programmed, so it only helped against Tangela, Magnemite, and Grimer.
Incidentally it's very funny that the roaming legends are not on here so even if Fast Balls worked properly they still wouldn't work better on them despite al the old advice of the time going "use fast balls, since they flee!"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)