Pokémon Movepool Oddities & Explanations

Coming back to this thread to ask a pivotal question:

Why does Greninja not learn Swords Dance.

In most of its appearances outside the game, Greninja is able to use Water Katanas. It's fellow ninja counter parts ( Shedninja and Ninjask) can learn Sword's Dance even though Shedninja has stubs for arms. Heck, Venusaur can learn swords dance but not Greninja, a pokemon shown to be able to use the moves cut and night slash in a sword like manner

shedinja.
the only mon with base 1 hp.
the only mon that is a ghost and bug type.
the only mon that ohkos itself from max hp with double edge,
it also gets highly useful moves in sandstorm and final gambit as well as very useful utility in rest and substitute.
we all thought there at least needed to be some logic and common sense involved...
but then again, this is gamefreak.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Doesn't get Nasty Plot either which you would also think is a give-in. At least it has Work Up...

shedinja.
the only mon with base 1 hp.
the only mon that is a ghost and bug type.
the only mon that ohkos itself from max hp with double edge,
it also gets highly useful moves in sandstorm and final gambit as well as very useful utility in rest and substitute.
we all thought there at least needed to be some logic and common sense involved...
but then again, this is gamefreak.
To be fair, Nincada and Ninjask learn all of these moves too (Final Gambit is specifically an Egg Move), so it's more like GF couldn't be asked to remove those moves from its movepool. They're probably thinking If you want to run a Shedinja with one of these moves than go right ahead, you ain't gonna get very far and they've provided more than enough alternatives that this is something you put on yourself.

To be honest Final Gambit makes sense in Ninjask's moveset tecnically considering the speed, they just couldn't magically separate the movesets I guess :P

Shedinja being able to get Final Gambit is not really an oddity because it's Nincada who gets it as an egg move. If it doesn't hatch with Final Gambit, Shedinja cannot get it.

Substitute does count as an oddity... and that's because Game Freak does not really bother shrinking the TM learnset in an evolutionary line, regardless of the move making sense or not. See Iron Tail for Alakazam when it was a TM.

Coming back to this thread to ask a pivotal question:

In most of its appearances outside the game, Greninja is able to use Water Katanas. It's fellow ninja counter parts ( Shedninja and Ninjask) can learn Sword's Dance even though Shedninja has stubs for arms. Heck, Venusaur can learn swords dance but not Greninja, a pokemon shown to be able to use the moves cut and night slash in a sword like manner
I'm more curious at Greninja not being able to learn Guillotine, being a ninja and Guillotine being a slashing move.

One can say "but Guillotine requires pincers". Kartana learns it at Level 73.

Is Passimian based on a spider monkey? If so, that's pretty clever.
He looks more lemur than monkey, but it could also be a reference to goal nets, and lemur --> monkey --> spider monkey isn't big of a leap. However, I don't understand why Game Freak didn't just give Passimian access to Sticky Web like they did with Slurpuff, Ribombee, and Araquanid, and instead had him join Mew and the Porygons as the only non Bug or Electric Pokemon to learn Electroweb.

On the topic of Passimian, while he eventually gained access to it via tutor, I find it odd that he doesn't learn Seed Bomb through level up or breeding.

He looks more lemur than monkey, but it could also be a reference to goal nets, and lemur --> monkey --> spider monkey isn't big of a leap. However, I don't understand why Game Freak didn't just give Passimian access to Sticky Web like they did with Slurpuff, Ribombee, and Araquanid, and instead had him join Mew and the Porygons as the only non Bug or Electric Pokemon to learn Electroweb.
Considering Passimian is inspired by rugby/american football, which lacks goal nets, the 'spider monkey' hypothesis seems more plausible.

And about Porygon... I wonder if it's a pun on internet and websites, and that those things are related to electronic devices..

Doesn't get Nasty Plot either which you would also think is a give-in. At least it has Work Up...

To be fair, Nincada and Ninjask learn all of these moves too (Final Gambit is specifically an Egg Move), so it's more like GF couldn't be asked to remove those moves from its movepool. They're probably thinking If you want to run a Shedinja with one of these moves than go right ahead, you ain't gonna get very far and they've provided more than enough alternatives that this is something you put on yourself.
While Nasty Plot also would make sense, Swords Dance is much more egregious since Greninja has been shown to use Katanas. In the anime alone, one of Greninja's main attacks, Cut ( over Night Slash which appeared for one episode, and was never used again) , uses a water katana to do the move. Heck, even in some of Greninja's official art, he is shown to wield swords. But of course Venusaur, a mon that isn't even associated with swords gets it. Exactly what was the logic behind the decision not to give Greninja Swords Dance

Perhaps because it's a dance and most grass pokemon seem to do all sorts of dancing.
I guess that could make sense, but Lilligant doesn't get Swords Dance, so I'm not sure that is a reason why Venusaur can get it. Edit: I don't even think Ludicolo gets Swords Dance, which is probably more egregious

Last edited:
Swords might be in the name, but there's no mention of them in the description of the move: "A frenetic dance to uplift the fighting spirit". Maybe Greninja don't typically have a good fighting spirit? *shrug*

Memes aside, you have to remember to take early gens, expecially gen 1/2 TM movepools, with a grain of salt. There's a lot of.... weird shit.... that is basically unexplainable (Machamp learns Flamethrower o_o)

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Shedinja being able to get Final Gambit is not really an oddity because it's Nincada who gets it as an egg move. If it doesn't hatch with Final Gambit, Shedinja cannot get it.
Yes, but if they really had intended for it to be a Ninjask move, they would have put it in its level-up movepool, just to prevent Shedinja from learning it. Nincada really doesn't need to have the move either, nor is it particularly justified from a flavour standpoint. But they gave it to Nincada anyway, so it was accessible to Shedinja as well. And I believe the hilarity of Shedinja using that move is what caused them to give it to the entire evolutionary family in the first place.

In gens 1-3, Psyduck and Golduck couldn't learn Psychic through TM. This is despite, of course, a lot of its lore and concept; the fact it gets Confusion through level up; and a lot of oddities like Poliwrath, Corsola and Magmar getting it.
At first you might think it was an oversight that got corrected in Gen 4... but Psyduck was actually able to get Psychic in Gen 2 and 3. Through breeding. And yet TM29 would not work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)