Pokémon Movepool Oddities & Explanations

I think on the Poison topic, there's also the thought of how hard it is to make the idea of a total immunity to poisons mesh with a design. Pokemon simplifies it down to just the simple concept of "Poison", but realistically there are a large variety of toxic substances or venoms that the Plant and Animal Kingdoms produce, and what works on one species might not work on another (E.G. something that could shrug off Cobra Venom might not have the same luck with a Poison species of Frog). Burns or Paralysis as status-effects have pretty straightforward concepts (residual damage from high heat and scrambled nervous system due to something like Electricity or shock to the system).

Consider that the two natural holders for Immunity are Snorlax and Zangoose. The latter is explained by its Mongoose-basis being a Predator for venomous Snakes, of which Pokemon has a decent few (and besides the universal-Toxic, most non-Poison Typed Snakes don't tend to have very many Poison-inducing moves), while the former's Immunity is linked to it just eating so much stuff indiscriminately (be it poisonous creatures/their secretions, fruit with potentially toxic chemicals, or simply food in unsanitary places like food in Human Garbage cans) that it builds a resistance to toxins so it can continue to eat them. Snorlax is exposed specifically to a very large array of toxic substances as the explanation for its built immunity to just "Poison" as an umbrella.

Gliscor's Poison Heal is a weird topic for me since it was introduced as a Dream World ability (before they simply became the more "mundane" Hidden Abilities), so it might not have been designed as grounded to the same extent as a base ability of a Pokemon. With that said my explanation for Shroomish and Breloom stems from their basis as Mushrooms and their Pokedex entries.

The two Pokemon are described as having highly toxic spores in their biology as a defense mechanism (already alluded to in Effect Spore), and both have a plant based diet from forests with Shroomish's explicitly citing compost from rotting leaves and plant matter (Breloom seems to suggest it simply eats plants in general). Whereas Snorlax and Zangoose need immunity to Poison but don't care if it's present or not, the Shroomish line seems to subsist on Toxic Matter while producing it itself, so its system ultimately benefits from the presence of substances meant to be toxic to other species that it can metabolize and use. Additionally, fungi like Mushrooms are often thought of as thriving in environments where other life dies off (whether by the life cycle or a potential endangerment/mass death event), being particularly common as the catalyst in movies with a plague/zombified type of element to them such as TLOU, so conditions often thought of as toxic to plants and animals can be beneficial to a Fungus, resulting in Poison Heal recovery from a substance that normally hurts most other Pokemon.

The more curious edge-case for me comes from later gens with the Salandit line's "Corrosion" ability, which allows them to inflict Poison on Steel and Poison type targets when using specifically status moves (i.e. Toxic works but Sludge Bomb Proc will not). The name of the ability (and Salazzle's secondary Fire typing) explains the Steel-vulnerability as a more literal idea of melting or corroding the material as a chemical reaction than the internal toxicity we imagine for most poisons, but that still raises the curious question of how Poison Heal Pokemon take that toxin in but still restore their health rather than lost it as a result

What is the flavor of Baton Pass? The Pokemon that learn it are mostly a weird mix of Bugs, magical Pokemon (Fairies and fairy-like Psychics), and weird Psychics, but then there's also sneaky Pokemon like Aipom or Nikit, some birds, cats I guess, other mammalian Normal-types, and then some other random Pokemon for good measure.
I believe the move is meant to be like a baton being passed during a relay race, so I imagine it's distributed to generally quick/fast-looking Pokémon, with some more magical Pokémon added to the mix since the move has kind of a weird, special feel to it as well. It's probably also distributed with balance purposes in mind, so it's given to Pokémon with more support-focused movepools.

Why in most generations do evolutions have duplicate moves in their level up movesets? In gen 7 for example, Manectric learns Howl at level 1, but also at level 7. Electrike learns it at just level 7. I guess the thinking is evolutions should inherently start out with more moves than their pre-evolutions, since they're more powerful. Why do the final stages start out with a move, then learn it again at another level? Most of the time you'll never come across a low level or level 1 final stage evolution anyway unless you're hacking. Maybe they did this just in case because I think there are a few instances of this happening, but it still hardly ever happens.

Why in most generations do evolutions have duplicate moves in their level up movesets? In gen 7 for example, Manectric learns Howl at level 1, but also at level 7. Electrike learns it at just level 7. I guess the thinking is evolutions should inherently start out with more moves than their pre-evolutions, since they're more powerful. Why do the final stages start out with a move, then learn it again at another level? Most of the time you'll never come across a low level or level 1 final stage evolution anyway unless you're hacking. Maybe they did this just in case because I think there are a few instances of this happening, but it still hardly ever happens.
These are actually relics of old movesets (which have slowly been fixed by gen 8).
In some cases it's moves they used to have as "relearner only" but later decided to actually add to the level up moveset as well, in that way you can either learn them via relearner, or wait until they actually level enough to learn the moves.
In some other cases it's shenenigans with stone evolutions.
And in some other fringe cases they're there so the pokemon would have a full level 1-5 moveset if generated at low level (which in some games was possible without hacks).

Something I just realized while watching a video about chameleons: the Sobble line cannot learn a single licking move despite being based on an animal that has a well-known kind of tongue.
Unrelated movepool oddity of the Sobble family: the only Ice attack Sobble and Drizzile learn is Ice Shard.

1656372527479.png

Inteleon learns about as many Ice attacks as you'd expect a Water-type to learn, but for some reason its prevos only learn a single weird one through breeding.

Something I just realized while watching a video about chameleons: the Sobble line cannot learn a single licking move despite being based on an animal that has a well-known kind of tongue.
I mean, uh... what "licking moves" are there outside of Lick?

Kecleon learns it, Politoed doesn't. Its distribution among canine/feline Pokémon (as a side note) is similarly spotty.

Mawile learns Sweet Scent by level-up, and has since Gen 3.

Is it... supposed to be like Victreebel or Carnivine? I thought Mawile lured its prey in with cuteness, not scent.
Yeah, that's really weird. Looking at the move, it's learned by level-up by:
Grass, Fairy, and Bug-types: Some of these are debatable, especially the bugs(Masquerain does not seem likely to have a scent at all), but giving it to those types as a rule is fine, and I'm not going to quibble about a specific plant not being the right plant to use scent as a lure
Salazzle: Really? I mean, sure, it has a poison gas association, but so do like half the poison-types in the game, why is this the only non-grass/bug poison to get it?
Teddiursa/Ursaring: Ummm... maybe the devs misclicked when assigning the move to these? I can see some sort of throughline with them getting the move in Gen IV, the same gen Combee got the move, and the Flower/Bee/Honey/Bear chain of associations, but that feels like a real stretch.
Mawile: No clue.

In Gen II when it was a TM, the only mons to get it that weren't Grass/Bug were Jynx, Miltank, and Mew. Jynx's association with an attraction move should be obvious, Mew learns all moves, and Miltank has a lot of Whitney-based associations with Charm etc so Sweet Scent isn't that odd. And breeding doesn't expand the mons that learn it either. Events add Chansey and Pikachu for the list, and again, Chansey feels reasonable and Pikachu learns everything.

So yeah, I don't get it. It's not a common move, they're pretty careful with what gets it, so where does Mawile come in? Or Teddiursa? Why those two specifically when so many similar mons don't even get it by breeding or TMs?

Teddiursa/Ursaring: Ummm... maybe the devs misclicked when assigning the move to these? I can see some sort of throughline with them getting the move in Gen IV, the same gen Combee got the move, and the Flower/Bee/Honey/Bear chain of associations, but that feels like a real stretch.
Mawile: No clue.
Teddiursa can make its own honey using fruit and Beedrill pollen, and it's often portrayed as licking that honey from its permanently-soaked paws. Presumably that honey can give off a sweet scent in the same way that Combee would use the move. It also has Honey Gather as a hidden ability.

As for Mawile, I tend to think that the devs just wanted to give it as many moves that lure or trick the opponent as possible, alongside stuff like Fake Tears and Faint Attack.

Last edited:
Salazzle: Really? I mean, sure, it has a poison gas association, but so do like half the poison-types in the game, why is this the only non-grass/bug poison to get it?
Salazzle attracts Salandit with pheromones, which are close enough I guess.

Also, Mawile notwithstanding, all Fairy-types that learn the move are either candy, associated with flowers, or are living perfume bottles.

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
I have been the whole day wondering why are Decidueye and Golurk among the few Ghost-types unable to learn Will-o-Whisp.
Like, i can understand why Dhelmise doesnt as it lives underwater (that didnt stop jellicent) and is technically just a plant (didnt stop Trevenant), meanwhile Aegilash could be for game balance, but why the other two cant?

I have been the whole day wondering why are Decidueye and Golurk among the few Ghost-types unable to learn Will-o-Whisp.
Like, i can understand why Dhelmise doesnt as it lives underwater (that didnt stop jellicent) and is technically just a plant (didnt stop Trevenant), meanwhile Aegilash could be for game balance, but why the other two cant?
Decidueye I assume it's because it's not a Ghost for most of its life and is thus somehow not ghostly enough.

No idea for Golurk. Maybe they're just terrified of No Guard Wisp for some reason. The fucking cowards.

I think the Ghosts that learn Will-O-Wisp are almost always the phantasmal, floaty, 'ghosty' Ghost-types plus their evolutions, which is in line with what will o' the wisps actually are (supposedly). It seems like an odd fit for Trevenant, but I think it suits Phantump pretty well, as an example. Golett/Golurk aren't floaty ghosts and nor is Decidueye.

Mimikyu learns it despite being depicted on the ground, but who knows how much of that is just the ghost under the sheet trying to look more like Pikachu (and in its Z-move animation it becomes more of a floaty ghost). Sableye's another iffy one if you follow this line of reasoning.

I agree that Aegislash not learning it seems like a balance decision more than anything.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)