Pokémon Unite

Assuming they re-uploaded because of the error in the first upload.

First upload:
EckR2yaWoAAU9Uq.png

Fix:
EckR7pMXkAYLHYA.png

Unless you want to tell me they expected the backlash so the error was intended to give them an excuse to reupload the trailer? Or maybe the timing is suspicious to you anyway because it's been so long since they announced it, they've had a lot of time to reupload, yet they choose to do so after things have calmed a bit, so Tencent bad and TPC bad.

I'd hardly call "our flagship product is displayed backwards" as minor. Funnily enough, it's still backwards on the thumbnail.

Pikachu315111 Doubt it. If this was something they wanted to hide while attracting much less attention, they'd just disable the like/dislike bar.

For the record:

https://web.archive.org/web/20200709121118/youtube.com/watch?v=0meaWFXuTzc
Presents video before takedown:
85k likes, 162k dislikes (34% likes, 66% dislikes)
Now:
724 likes, 3k dislikes (19% likes, 81% dislikes)

https://web.archive.org/web/20200709194040/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgWeEGBbJDQ
Standalone video before takedown:
24k likes, 30k dislikes (44% likes, 56% dislikes)
Now:
608 likes, 1.8k dislikes (25% likes, 75% dislikes)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Hm, still call be suspect. Fine, they have a reasonable excuse for this time (though they sure took their time to fix it), but I wonder if the video hadn't received as many dislikes as it did would they still have re-uploaded or left the mirrored Switch as a "funny woopsie".

If they even cared about the ratio, they would've just disabled likes and dislikes (and perhaps comments too). It's not like they think every one of their 3.61M subscribers on their channel would somehow miss a new upload.

Aside from if the reupload was actually due to the mistake or a real attempt to "cleanse" the like/dislike, I'm somewhat satisfied in seeing the dislike ratio is still high.

Going by

Japan's not very happy, although that's maybe because MOBA isn't big compared to other mobile games, compounded with other reasons this is hate dumped (like having its own pointless Direct). And I heard that Chinese (including mainland people) are mocking this too, although I have only heard of it and can't verify that.
I am assuming it wasn't well received at all outside of places where Mobas are really the biggest thing ever like Philiphines.

I mean, I know Tencent is involved and they literally own Riot, but I'll stand my point that they literally took the dismissed Dominion mode from League and put Pokemon skins in it... If they actually put some effort, it'd have had a better reception.
And obviously, the fact it's a Tencent product doesn't help due to all the bias (justified or not) that there is toward the company.

That said it's unlikely they will drop the project, but I'll be curious to see if it'll actually "take off" or will just be another Pokemon Quest.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
That said it's unlikely they will drop the project, but I'll be curious to see if it'll actually "take off" or will just be another Pokemon Quest.
They're not going to drop the project, but if it doesn't sell well they may not support it. Skins aside, another micro transaction they can charge for is more Pokemon characters to choose from, but if it doesn't get the profits they're looking for back (and I imagine Tencent isn't a company that has low profit margins) then, even if they don't take down the game, they won't add anymore to it (and eventually de-list it if the playerbase gets low enough).

Hooray, something that managed to be more disappointing that Sword and Shield.
Really shocked that there’s so much backlash on this site.
They added the Brave Bird™
What more do you want? Dark Void Smeargle?

Ngl, surpriaed to see wigglytuff make it in anything. Usually her smaller self is much more appealing ohtside of mystery dungeon fans.

Ngl, surpriaed to see wigglytuff make it in anything. Usually her smaller self is much more appealing ohtside of mystery dungeon fans.
Who knows, maybe it takes inspiration from its Mystery Dungeon incarnation.

The presence of Pokémon that don't evolve by level up (or don't evolve at all) pretty much confirms my suspicion that the "evolution" mechanic is completely cosmetic.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
The presence of Pokémon that don't evolve by level up (or don't evolve at all) pretty much confirms my suspicion that the "evolution" mechanic is completely cosmetic.
They could just ignore the evolution requirements and have all Pokemon evolve via getting enough experience (or whatever they need to evolve in Unite).

Considering the many many many many things tencent is involved in, hypothetically the next 45 days involve a lot of people with money going "dont do this" and it doesnt happen

but we live in hell world and run by very old men who hate china AND games AND young people, so, you know.

As you said, its extremely likely such a move would be impossible to enforce, but these last 3 years have been incredibly strange, and 2020 has been the peak year of really stupid decisions by really rich people.

Let's hope this gets patched up sooner rather than later.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
So uhhhhhh in case this game couldnt get more cursed.... GET READY FOR SOME POLITICS

Don't want to get TOO involved with this discussion, but since TikTok is a social media aggregator it would be considered unconstitutional to ban it as that would fall under restricting free speech (besides, from what I heard, the executive order says they'd be banned if they don't sell TikTok and TikTok was in talk with Microsoft already doing that). As for Tencent, they have their hands in so many cookie jars (and so many people who hands they're using) that they'll probably get their lobbyists and politicians who are working for/benefiting from them to overturn this order.

I think we've seen another earlier leak that was also different roster so I just assume that it's rotating around "heroes" and the different betas are just the-then-current line up for that time period.

Because China bad.
Well, China is bad. Actually, they are horrifically evil. It is also not good that those phone companies have all that data either. It is not an either or situation. Both sides should be viewed with cynical eyes. Unfortunately, the average customer has been boiled like a frog to borrow an apt analogy and so they are not aware of how much we have surrendered and so we scoff at another invasion of privacy by saying, "well, they already have our data."

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Let's get away from the political machinations of what's going on across the world please. We're a Pokémon forum afterall.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)