Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mistake, I'm not sure where my mind was with that one.

Edit: Lets not kid ourselves about day/night availability. It's cool aesthetically but annoying otherwise. Do I really have time to get up early enough to catch those morning-exclusive pokemon? No. The seasonal availability was alright but really you just end up changing the clock anyway. I'm glad they've done away with the time based availability.

Drought Ninetales is still more useful than Drought Mega Charizard. Unlike Ninetales, Charizard needs to stay in for one turn to Mega Evolve to set up the ability and considering that it gets Raped by Stealth Rock, it could possibly be KOed on the switch and before it could get a chance to Mega Evolve so yeah...
Presuming stealth rock's type metric remains as-is, megazard will probably be better suited as a lead like other weather makers since Mega evolving is a "free action," if you will (assuming those unknown requirements are met outside of battle). Even if SR isn't nerfed directly, it's still possible that removing it, and other hazards for that matter (via new moves, abilities, etc.), is more manageable across the board in X/Y; which in turn, could give Charizard a greater wealth of viable teammates to choose from.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
Presuming stealth rock's type metric remains as-is, megazard will probably be better suited as a lead like other weather makers since Mega evolving is a "free action," if you will (assuming those unknown requirements are met outside of battle). Even if SR isn't nerfed directly, it's still possible that removing it, and other hazards for that matter (via new moves, abilities, etc.), is more manageable across the board in X/Y; which in turn, could give Charizard a greater wealth of viable teammates to choose from.
fuck charizard, I'm waiting for game freak to make mega volc, if not then a new way to get rid of hazards would still mean volcarona and dragonite destroying teams

675 Power with STAB and Rain Boosted. Hydro Cannon an option competitively?! Who would have thought?
Right? The hyper beam variations all desperately need tweaking to be usable, and hopefully Gamefreak will realize that 150bp is a terrible trade-off for a lost turn (which I never liked in the first place). What if the move itself just lost power with each consecutive use? How about that for needing to recharge?

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I didn't, but then again I didn't enter.
*pained exclamation*
I wasn't gonna say it....
In the last few days there have been a ton of throwaway, contentless posts. At one point there was one person who posted five times within ten minutes.

Posts like this do not have any thought behind them. They do not push discussion forward, they just pad people's postcounts, and they will not be tolerated. These types of posts are considered spam and are infraction-worthy.

If your post only has a few words, it probably is not worth posting. Any such posts will be infracted by either myself, R_N, Mario With Lasers, or Layell in the future. Now excuse my while I go back and spend an hour cleaning the thread up. :[

EDIT: Additionally, if you agree with a post, use the like feature. There is no need to quote a post and say you agree with it.

Probably. Most of those codes weren't even REALLY released so the idea was probably supposed to be you enter like 7 codes a week or so.
There's also the probability that if you did spam the codes, you'd need a second email to get the "new" codes to be entered, so it kinda sucks to be someone who just dumped codes.

Nope that shit would be op
Really? I didn't specify how drastic the reduction was. There are other things to consider as well; perhaps the moves need multiple turns to fully recharge, which could discourage the use of choice items. If the move starts at 150 power, and is halved on each subsequent use, then two uses across two rounds comes out to 225 compared to 120 power moves which total 240. If the move increases in power with each round passed without its use, then it would only be at full power every other round. Yeah, that is powerful, but it's also predictable.

Really? I didn't specify how drastic the reduction was. There are other things to consider as well; perhaps the moves need multiple turns to fully recharge, which could discourage the use of choice items. If the move starts at 150 power, and is halved on each subsequent use, then two uses across two rounds comes out to 225 compared to 120 power moves which total 240. If the move increases in power with each round passed without its use, then it would only be at full power every other round. Yeah, that is powerful, but it's also predictable.
Lmao that sounds so horrible... Like you can't even make this sound ok competitively. So, let me get this right hydro cannon is base 150 this move is only learned by water types of course so now we have stab added so 225. Then we halve that to 75 and we still have a stab move with over 100+ base power. Also how in the world is this discouraging choice items? Just because your attack on your move drops doesn't make if any less destructive the first time around when you use it...

Maybe these calcs will help you grasp what I'm saying. (Hydro cannon isn't on the list so I added the stuff in myself).

252+ SpA Choice Specs Empoleon (Move 1) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Abomasnow: 144-170 (37.59 - 44.38%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Empoleon (Move 1) vs. 252 HP / 88+ SpD Bronzong: 267-315 (78.99 - 93.19%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Empoleon (Move 1) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Cresselia: 288-339 (64.86 - 76.35%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Empoleon (Move 1) vs. 252 HP / 236+ SpD Jirachi: 262-310 (64.85 - 76.73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Empoleon (Move 1) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 144-170 (39.56 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

If the move starts at 150 power, and is halved on each subsequent use, then two uses across two rounds comes out to 225 compared to 120 power moves which total 240.
What you have just described is Draco Meteor one of the most overpowered moves of both the 4th and 5th Gen which has almost single handedly forced into existence a brand new type primarily for cockblocking it (basically officially admitted by the devs) to make you think twice.

And you seem to think it is a good idea to distribute even more versions of it...you might want to back up and rethink this again.

What you have just described is Draco Meteor one of the most overpowered moves of both the 4th and 5th Gen which has almost single handedly forced into existence a brand new type primarily for cockblocking it (basically officially admitted by the devs) to make you think twice.

And you seem to think it is a good idea to distribute even more versions of it...you might want to back up and rethink this again.
But with 10 more base power and not lowering the power of your other attacks and boostable by weather. Yea, let's do it, win. Lol

On the other hand, I don't think anyone ever used Overheat or Leaf Storm, do they?

blitzlefan

shake it off!
I don't think you've covered everything with this post though... The reason Draco Meteor is what you claim to be "overpowered" is because it's backed by Pokemon with some of the highest attacking stats (BST 600s), and the move itself / typing has excellent neutral coverage. The Dragon-type is strong because of a combination of both the Pokemon (e.g. Latios, Salamence, Dragonite, etc.) and moves (e.g. Draco Meteor, Outrage, Spacial Rend, etc.) and its general coverage. However, the moves by themselves aren't overly powerful. Overheat and Leaf Storm are the exact same thing as Draco Meteor from a base power standpoint, but because of their distribution and typing, you're not saying they're overpowered. So I don't think you can claim that a move with high base power / some drawbacks will be overpowered just based on the numbers. You have to take into account all the different aspects of the move.

On the other hand, I don't think anyone ever used Overheat or Leaf Storm, do they?
Overheat is mostly not used because of Fire Blast's more reliable output. Besides Rotom-H and some weird Pokemon that "needs" Overheat to ohko some Pokemon I don't think it was used much. As for Leaf Storm there are three alternatives; the (much) weaker but more reliable Energy Ball, the situation, but useful Grass Knot and the rarely distributed and rarely used Petal Dance (basically only good for Lilligant because of Own Tempo), so Leaf Storm was used in some points, but still not much.

Draco Meteor is one the dragons' deadliest moves granted, but their stats and type effectiveness (only resisted by steel) helped. So I guess that's why Game Freak went to introduce a new type to nerf dragons as opposed to just nerfing moves.

EDIT: (partially) ninja'd by blitzlefan.

how in the world is this discouraging choice items? Just because your attack on your move drops doesn't make if any less destructive the first time around when you use it..
I'm not contending that it isn't powerful on its first use, nor am I saying that my very first proposal was an ideal correction. I'm just saying that being stuck on a move with dwindling power may not always be desirable turn after turn (depending of course on how it's designed, which is why Draco Meteor wasn't a bad illustration of when it is, Forsety). I'm just spitballing about how to improve on nonviable moves Gamefreak probably intended to be very desirable (at least in the case of the Grass, Fire, and Water variants given their scarcity).

Last edited:
Making Hyper Beam/other two-turn moves usable in the modern game (not even the metagame, just the modern game) at this point requires either that neither turn be wasted, meaning that the "charging" or "recharging" turn grants a stat boost or passive effect, or the use of some secondary benefit such as high status chance on the actual attack. Skull Bash is a good poster child and would be used if its BP wasn't so pitifully low for a two-turn. Just upping the power or requiring that the attack only be used "every so often" will just make them unfit for gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)