Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure the hordes will be comparitively weak, isn't the point to make challenging wild encounters without giving us high level mons to catch?

"A video of a Horde Encounter of Gogoat vs. five Houndour was shown. Gogoat knocks out a Houndour, but has to deal with an attack from all four of the remaining Pokemon. Gogoat uses Rock Slide - hits all four remaining, and knocks them all out. This gives you a large amount of EXP. Points."

-Notes from JWittz in Pokebeach.

So they all do attack at the same time.

In the picture with Tauros and Miltank, they're level 14 and Fennekin is 25, so it's still gonna be tough and near impossible to end a turn without your mon fainting.

I know we don't have full details and blah blah blah, but how much more do you need to know other than it's 5 v 1? You're gonna take a lot of damage, you're gonna have a faint, you're gonna use A LOT of PP, and it's only one wild encounter.
If they're that significantly underleveled then they aren't going to do dick for damage to be honest. They'll combine for a total of like 1.5 to 2 normal attacks from their equal leveled selves, while you'll mostly likely OHKO all of them with a basic non super effective stab attack.

"A video of a Horde Encounter of Gogoat vs. five Houndour was shown. Gogoat knocks out a Houndour, but has to deal with an attack from all four of the remaining Pokemon. Gogoat uses Rock Slide - hits all four remaining, and knocks them all out. This gives you a large amount of EXP. Points."

-Notes from JWittz in Pokebeach.

So they all do attack at the same time.
That's just ridiculously hard. If just two or three of them had used ember, Gogoat would've fainted and you'd have to send another victim out there. You're basically boned if you don't have a SE, widespread attack and are faster.

I remember GF saying something about increasing the difficulty some time ago but this is a bit ridiculous.

Now I see why it'll be easier to see IVs and EVs.

I think there's a lack of information and some misunderstanding/jumping to conclusions going on here.
This. If Pikachu is against 5 Rhyhorns, of course you will switch to something else. Why woulnd't you able to switch pokemon in horde encounter? but I guess you won't able to run away...?

Q - Could you go into detail about how Mewtwo goes in new formes? Would you like him to be in Smash Bros.?
A - Long pauses, lots of laughs. I can't really explain WHAT that Pokemon you're talking about was or if it will appear in other games as well. But with Smash Brothers we always carefully decide which characters we want to add.
I am almost CERTAIN they are trying to keep Awakened Forme Mewtwo underwraps until we get info on the new movie statewide which probably won't happen until 2014. And there is always Zoroark for SSB4 :p

If Fairy is really immune to Dragon, I wish more types resist Fairy or it will just be the new definition of broken.
As a defensive player, I'd like to see the metagame focusing on bulk so the battles last longer in such beautifully crafted game, but so far the leaked mons somehow look so offensive it might end up worse than the current OU :(

Dragon/Fighting, meet Fairy/Ghost. There goes that dream...

Seriously though, I just wished they called it something else. Fairy sounds so lame, especially when by the looks of it a lot of "Fairy-type" pokemon aren't really fairies. Maybe "Magic-type"? Besides the already-confirmed Fairies, I'd be willing to be good money that Togekiss becomes Fairy/Flying and Celebi becomes Grass/Fairy. Togekiss seems likely because it's so different from the other generic Normal/Flying pokemon, and Celebi is the most fairy-like pokemon out there. This would make Togekiss, a mon with already great stats and capabilities, much better, and would make Celebi an incredible defensive behemoth. HP Poison Keldeo, anyone? All the other pixies besides Celebi stand good chance at becoming Fairies too, in my opinion. Cresselia too, with Fairy-type having a moon-based move. Though dumb-sounding, I think Fairy will be rather useful for remedying the generic-ness of various pokemon, certain Psychics and Normals especially.

As a side note, I really hope Fairy-type attacks are resisted by Steel, as if it's neutral or SE, it runs the risk of becoming a common type for coverage moves, which would be weird and lame. If you think about it, every type SE against Steel is incredibly common as coverage (Fire, Ground, Fighting), and the two types that are neutral (Electric and Water) are rather strong attacking options. Fairy-type attacks will be fine, in my opinion, as an okay STAB option like Grass, but when fearsome sweepers start running moves like "Sparkle Dance" or whatever as primary coverage is when it'll get really bad. This is especially worrisome given that Gamefreak is introducing the type to balance the charts, so giving Steel another resist is anything but certain, but all too necessary in my eyes.

Also of note is that it's amusing (and disappointing) that Gamefreak chooses Dragon to nerf, while ignoring the much more potent force of weather. My guess is that amongst casual gamers, spamming Outrage off huge base attacks is the most common and potent strategy, as most of them, I presume, have little time or interest in looking into and exploiting the enormous potential of the boosting weathers. With Dragons, the cornerstone of weatherless HO and key resisters of both Fire- AND Water-type moves, getting nerfed, we could potentially see weather getting even more centralizing in Gen 6. Way too early to tell, of course.

Yeah I'm really hoping Fairy isn't going to be immune to Dragon, especially as I can see Fairy/Ghost being a type...

• Talonflame...., the name.., why don't GF just stick with the Japanese names more? Fiarrow would have been so much better. Always the english names that are letdowns, it's not like English has a small vocabulary..
  • kinda offtopic: I'm wondering also... if they're going to try and have combination attacks or moves again? they sorta started with B/W with pledge moves but that was it.

Do I smell a Water/Fire pistol shrimp in the making?
God I hope so, that would be wicked.

I do hope my calculations are correct, but if Fairy-type is super effective against both Dark and Dragon, the damage output of a Level 50 Gardevoir against a level 50 Hydreigon with a 60 BP move is between
186,76(189) and 373,5(373), whereas when it is only super effective against Dragon it is between
65,4(65) and 130,8(131).

The damage output is in the trailer is 96(152 full HP reduces to 56). The trailer doesn't show Gardevoir's level, so it is probably a lot more weaker, and Fairy Wind might be a weaker move, but there's this.

Edit: Scratch this, I haven't took the random numbers in the equation(I took max-min possible values in equation though). Is there a simple damage calculator that can account for hypothetical types?

Edit 2: Okay here's the real deal;
Max value for Focus Blast is 206-244, and min value is 68-82. If we multiply this by 1.5, we get 309-366 and 102-123. If we multiply this by 0.75 we get 154,5(154)-183 and 51-61,5.

I used this damage calculator btw.

I fail to see why you guys think that Fairy being immune to Dragon is broken. Seriously we have a few immunities already. Dragon types NEED a nerf, their offense is too good, adding an immunity to them will add A LOT more strategy and it will increase the viability of so many other pokémon. Besides, it's not like Wigglytuff will suddendly jump to OU just for being immune to Dragon, or else Spiritomb would be Uber just for having no weaknesses.

It also depends on the EVs and natures of the Pokemon in question, and also upon a damage formula that we have not yet mastered.

With Fairy-Type now revealed and confirmed to be Sylveon's type do you think we will get a counterpart to it? Meaning we would get a Dragon or Poison Eeveelution? Dragon seems a bit out of the way because it would be hard to make a design for it but a Poisonous Eeveelution wouldnt be too hard to make.

On the Anime: I can see Ash catching all 3 starters again, or maybe one of the starters is a poke for one of his travel buddies. My money is also on Fletchling (mandatory bird) and Clauncher (another buddy for Kingler and Corphish). So we pretty much got Ash his team already. I wouldnt be surprised either if he catches a Fairy-type too.

That's just ridiculously hard. If just two or three of them had used ember, Gogoat would've fainted and you'd have to send another victim out there. You're basically boned if you don't have a SE, widespread attack and are faster.
Sounds like Earthbound; fighting five enemies who you can only KO one at a time, who each attack you once per turn.
That was... horrible...

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
To my knowledge, this hasn't been posted yet:

From Serebii

I count several different hats/headgear (among them one looking slightly like a Chespin), and at least two skin colours (the two very dark at the bottom appear to be "greyed out"). Now, we know from earlier that there will be at least three skin colours, but the variety of hats and hair styles was a nice surprise.

Again, I wonder if the sunglasses will be of any significance? There are several characters shown without them in this picture, after all, but they are present in all artwork of the playable characters.

Am I reading serebii right? Fletchlings evolution looks really cool, but seriously, talonflame? Thank god for nicknames. I actually like Clauncher and Skrelp, both in name and in appearance.

For those of you who are complaining about the Fairy Type (specifically, its name), please read this and try to think of what a true fairy is.

http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Fairies_and_the_Fairy_Type

If you think of the actual definition and lore of fairies--most of which are humanoid magical creatures but can also be classified as magical beasts such as unicorns and even dragons--you'll see that the actual term Fairy by Pokemon standards will mean magical creature.

So consider the Fairy Type to be more along the lines of 'Magical Type' or 'Mystical Type'.

Also assuming that Fairy Type hits steel types for normal damage (I've heard that it will be super effective to steel), lets take a moment to realize that Fairy/Dragon will become the new BoltBeam or Dark/Fighting in terms of amazingly perfect coverage.

[*]Talonflame...., the name.., why don't GF just stick with the Japanese names more? Fiarrow would have been so much better. Always the english names that are letdowns, it's not like English has a small vocabulary..
Because we have a Pokemon named Fearow and that would cause confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)